Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Concerns about G5

Star Petal

I'd like to add to this, im not sure g5 is going to be as good. The thing is, the story may be great, the characters & art may be great. But I think the thing about g4 that made it special that g5 just wont have is, the ability to add your own headcanons, AUs, characters, next-gen, & anything like that AND it was flexible. It felt like you were really adding to the story, even if it was just a ship. It was so flexible with the characters and I think g5 may take that away. 

• Brohoof 6

I think the art looks great plus they've got long-time fan artist Imalou heading up character design. I like pretty much everything I've heard about it so far. I just hope that the mane 6 plus Spike end up being included in a meaningful way, rather than just being legendary figures that only get referenced now and then. 

19 hours ago, Warywings said:

I'd like to add to this, im not sure g5 is going to be as good. The thing is, the story may be great, the characters & art may be great. But I think the thing about g4 that made it special that g5 just wont have is, the ability to add your own headcanons, AUs, characters, next-gen, & anything like that AND it was flexible. It felt like you were really adding to the story, even if it was just a ship. It was so flexible with the characters and I think g5 may take that away. 

How will it prevent people from having their own headcanon's or any of that stuff? As long as people are able to imagine those things will exist. There's nothing G5 can do to prevent people from doing any of that. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ziddersroofurry said:
22 hours ago, Warywings said:

How will it prevent people from having their own headcanon's or any of that stuff? As long as people are able to imagine those things will exist. There's nothing G5 can do to prevent people from doing any of that. 

I just think that there will be less room for flexibility for headcanons, etc. I mean, I think most stuff will be set in stone. 

On 2021-05-12 at 4:23 PM, Warywings said:

Absolutely.  IMO some of the shows that I've gotten into the most, like Digimon Adventure, Winx Club, and G4 were the kinds of worlds where all kinds of things are possible.  Harry Potter is much the same way.

If G-5 wants to have the same greatness G-4 has, then they'll need to have some degree of openness, of possibilities---there's got to be a chance that, in the next town over or next door, somepony is having adventures as heart-grabbing as the main characters' adventures.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-04-29 at 11:56 AM, abrony-mouse said:

I can't think of any kiddie movie that has a relationship as a feature other than the awesomeness that is Steven Universe, and that didn't reveal the relationship until you were firmly in love with the characters in it. If Hitch and *checks* Sunny start off in a relationship I will be very surprised. Relationships are boring from the outside - they are a destination, but just like with Twily and Flash I doubt that G5 will continue over the movie relationship subplot into the series.

I see the student six as the set up for G5 and eps 24-25 of S9 as the plot of the movie pretty much: re-learning the lessons of the Mane 6 saves the poor ponies who have lost their sparkle.  

So we're left with the implausibility of Hitch not at all being interested in his filly friends.  That, or he's into colts.  

Well, ok, I suppose I can buy the notion of a relationship developing over time.  I'm sure ships will abound with all the fillies except his sister.  Actually, even the latter is possible on the internet, sadly.  The thing with Twilight and Flash though is that Flash really isn't a character in the mane series.  He's supposedly a royal guard in Equestria, but he and Twilight don't know each other, and as far as I know, that never changed.  It would be quite different if Flash were a member of the Mane Six starting with that movie, and would be in the show in that capacity going forward.  

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll say for this one that Hitch TRAILBLAZER ends up like GMC's TRAILBLAZER.

In other words, a letdown that is a sort of a copy or rebrand of something already existing and doesn't really go far.

My main concern with Gen 5 is that Hasbro may be trying to appeal less and less to people outside the main demographic, unlike Gen 4. :Thorax:

I mean, Bronies and Pegasisters were never the target audience, but what I liked about Gen 4 was specifically the way it balanced humor with the way the characters often struggled with universal, relatable issues (in a relatively mature yet positive way), while not shoving romance down your throat like a lot of "girly" shows typically do. Having songs that don't overstay their welcome was great too. ;)

I just hope that with all the changes Gen 5 brings, Hasbro doesn't mess up this delicate balance. We'll just have to be hopeful and see :rarity:

• Brohoof 3

Looking at the way he's been left out or just lazily tacked on in some of the G5 toys and ads, I really, really hope Hitch will not be the Spike of G4. Nothing against Spike, but come on, the gag of him being the butt monkey is old af. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2021-05-14 at 6:53 PM, HereComesTom said:

Absolutely.  IMO some of the shows that I've gotten into the most, like Digimon Adventure, Winx Club, and G4 were the kinds of worlds where all kinds of things are possible.  Harry Potter is much the same way.

If G-5 wants to have the same greatness G-4 has, then they'll need to have some degree of openness, of possibilities---there's got to be a chance that, in the next town over or next door, somepony is having adventures as heart-grabbing as the main characters' adventures.

There is literally no way for a show to limit headcanons as headcanons by their very nature depend on one's imagination and the only limits to that are ones you place on it yourself. You are literally the only one who can keep yourself from imagining any given scenario that derives its inspiration from the show. For example in my fanfics Twilight's tree was never destroyed. According to your logic because it was in the show I shouldn't have that as my canon. Really there's absolutely no reason I can't have that taking place in my own version of their world. That's what headcanon is all about-taking imaginary worlds and making them into the worlds you want them to be. Faust's MLP headcanon and its huge differences from official canon is how we got IM in the first place. 

Btw-canon should always be seen as more of a guideline than a rule. These are fictional worlds made up in someone's head. At the end of the day Death of the Author applies just as much to made-up TV show universes as it does to fiction. Once it's out there it belongs to everyone-for better or worse. 

Edited by ziddersroofurry
  • Brohoof 2