Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Fishkeeping thread! Who else loves fish?

PlzDelete

I love fish and aquatic animals with all my soul. They are usually disregarded by lots of people solely based on the fact most of them aren't "cute". Well you know what? I think most fish are adorable, smart, fascinating and are lovely pets. I've been keeping fish in my life for years so I would know. lol This thread is specifically for fish keeping but feel free to ask for advice on getting your first step into the hobby. In this thread we can share pictures of our lovely finned friends and show off our tank setups! 

This is Pretzel, my porcupine saltwater pufferfish!

Pretzel the Porcupine Pufferfish - YouTube

He is in quarantine (that's when you monitor your fish to see if they are sick) for now in a smaller tank before moving into his 125 gallon tank. I fed him just a few minutes ago. He seems to comfortable where he's at for now. He will definitely outgrow his tank though so the 125 gallon will be set up before then. I love him so much. :wub:

So, who else loves fish or owns any?

• Brohoof 1

Fish are incredible. Watching an aquarium is like gazing through a window into another world. The house I used to live in years ago used to have a fish pond and it was always fun watching the fish swim around whenever I was out in the garden. I can't remember what fish they were though. They were prett large though. Anyway, I'm pretty sure @Arc Flashcould tell you all about his fish. He used to share videos of his aquarium. :)

(edited)

I used to have an aquarium and yes it really does feel like a window to another world. Though the main issue with my aquarium currently is that there is simply no store close that sells fish and as such has made it difficult to buy them. Of course I really enjoyed my aquarium I had a shark that was definitely one of my favorite. Looked a lot like this I had many fishes you know.

Spoiler

bala-freshwater-aquarium-shark.thumb.jpg.d2043658bdb6e03691beac7de16f6efd.jpg

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

We used to have them, but it seemed like they had really bad separation anxiety, either that or the neighbor did something wrong when we went on vacation once a year.

We managed to keep bait minnows alive for something like 3 years, and a gold fish for I want to say 4. We had some beta fish too for a while.

I love all animals and fish are no exception. I have owned fish in the past but I couldn’t for the life of me keep the tank clean. I used a filter and replaced the filter inside the filter regularly but the water just kept getting dirtier until it was atrocious. I never figured out what the problem was. I am afraid that it will happen again if I decide to get more.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 10 gal. freshwater aquarium in middle school and a 45gal. in high school. In the end it got some horrible dark brown algae and a snail explosion from some eggs that snuck in on a plant. Both problems I couldn't get rid of. :worry:

I hope to start the 45 gallon one up again at my house sometime soon, but I have a lot of other more important projects that need to get done first.

I'll add some pics to this thread eventually. They're on my older computer or external hard drives somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve tried to keep fish a couple times now but they always seem to die after some time. I kept struggling to figure out what was going on. I’d talk to some people at the fish store and nothing seemed to work. The longest I had a successful tank was about a year. 

For almost three years I had a lionfish, he was a very handsome fish but very picky about what he ate. He died too soon sadly. I wish I could have done better but he only seemed to be willing to eat fresh shrimp.

Akula.jpg

1 hour ago, Winter Storm said:

For almost three years I had a lionfish, he was a very handsome fish but very picky about what he ate. He died too soon sadly. I wish I could have done better but he only seemed to be willing to eat fresh shrimp.

Akula.jpg

My mom's lionfish was picky too, before we figured out what he liked, we'd have to get chunks of food he wouldn't eat out of the tank- I'm not 100% sure if this is the reason, but maybe males tend to be more picky?