Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

quoting someone post in another topic

Will Guide
Go to solution Solved by Rikifive,

As some of you might have noticed I left a post quoting and responding to someone else's posts on a topic that didn't really fit with what I was trying to talk about. In the topic https://mlpforums.com/topic/194188-two-more-ponies-revealed-for-g5/ I quoted two people I wanted to comment on, but I realized the post was more about Technology being in Equestria and my post would fit better in there. The problem is that I don't think I can quote someone else's posts in a separate topic even though I believe it's important for readers to see what I'm responding to for context.

Simply tell me if it's possible or impossible for quoting someone's posts from another topic and if it's impossible, give me some advice on how to properly refer to the  "foreign" quoted posts and give context

Yes it is possible to put quotes from other threads although it is a somewhat manual process.

Method #1: Copy&Paste

1. Quote a post or its fragment in thread#1

2. Cut/Copy the quote from the reply box

3. Paste it in thread#2 and continue

Method #2: Using Multiquote

1. Add a post from thread#1 to your MultiQuote queue using the [+] button
2021-04-11_06-01-37.png.7b584ddae886bafd305346191903fa39.png

2. This box will appear in the bottom-right corner:
2021-04-11_05-58-34.png.ff6e22c55df06440a658c4c34f2163ee.png
Don't do anything with it just yet

3. Go to thread #2 and the MultiQuote queue will still be there, click the "Quote X post" button there and the quote will be inserted to the reply box. Then continue..

beEWGks.png The button doesn't show? REFRESH the page if it was loaded before the quote was added to queue

Quotes And Their Contexts

Quotes automatically created via these buttons have their SOURCE linked to them:

2021-04-11_05-56-28.png.34c536cfd84674a153b739141d7924ee.png

Clicking/Tapping this arrow will take you to the original post and will take you to another thread if the origin of the quote comes from somewhere else.

1KHxxtz.png NOTE: It is the same on both, Desktop and Mobile.

Hope that helps c:

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

1. Quote a post or its fragment in thread#1

2. Cut/Copy the quote from the reply box

When I try to do that method I can't really quote the box around the somebody else's pose. Best I can imagine it doing it this method it's just copying the people's tax and then saying manually saying "Mr. So and So said this" with no gray box with the person's name and timestamp around it. But I shall give both methods a try.

9 hours ago, Will Guide said:

When I try to do that method I can't really quote the box around the somebody else's pose. Best I can imagine it doing it this method it's just copying the people's tax and then saying manually saying "Mr. So and So said this" with no gray box with the person's name and timestamp around it. But I shall give both methods a try.

You're working on mobile, right? The editor on mobile is such a pain indeed. On desktop you can just normally quote, press CTRL+A then CTRL+X to take out the quote in order to paste it somewhere else. It takes less than a second and works perfectly.

On mobile highlighting things properly is a real challenge. If there's nothing above the box, it will refuse to highlight it properly... basically getting you stuck with that box at the top, as you can't move it, nor insert a line above it.

Try typing something in the reply box before quoting. Having a line above the quote box should allow you to highlight it like this:

2021-04-11_16-24-03.png.9902b816a73ea1246f54e2b3838c0a2d.png

Then just cut it out. Tap&hold the text and pick the "select all" option from the mobile context menu, then "cut/copy" from the same menu. You can also drag the selection manually through the box if you prefer, hoping nothing glitches in the process, because you never know. kaZdxtE.png

So the method #1 on mobile would be:

Method #1: Copy&Paste (MOBILE EDITION)

1. Open the reply box in thread#1 and type few characters (this will allow you to highlight the entire quote box properly, otherwise: troubles)

2. Quote a post or its fragment in thread#1

3. Cut/Copy the quote from the reply box

4. Paste it in thread#2 and continue

Method #2 should be less glitchy, although it requires you to REFRESH the page each time you add something to MultiQuote queue somewhere else, if that page was already loaded before.

So if you want to grab few quotes, go to another thread and start replying - it should be a good way.

But if you already have typed something and you want to add an additional quote from another thread, refreshing will be required. Then tapping that "Quote X posts" should add the quotes to your reply box. The editor autosaves your contents, so it should be fine for the most part, although keep it mind it tends to fail once in a while.

• The topic was locked