Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm thinking of actually watching MLP FiM. Do you think it aged well?

guardmaster

Hey everyone! I've been following the MLP fandom for a while now, but for some reason I've never really watched too much of the show itself. Before I actually start watching it, I would like to know something.

Do you think that MlP FiM as a whole still retains much of its appeal to adults and newcomers, even in the face of other cartoons like Steven Universe, which from what I've heard seems to do the things FiM is good at much better. I've noticed that it faded from the mainstream more than other modern cartoons despite its massive influence it seems to have on them. Is it just because  less people are willing to give it a chance due to some stigma?

On a related note, I've heard that the ANG movie seem have had a strong start with both fans and critics alike. If it continues its stride through at least the series's first season, do you think it will be enough to bring it back to the mainstream consciousness (not as insanely much as it was in its heyday, but at least as much as other well-regarded modern cartoons).

On more less related question. How is the humor in FiM? I definitely don't expect to be something as adult like in the Amazing World of Gumball, but how good is it compared to something more like in the Ducktales reboot?

• Brohoof 5

Oh, it’s aged phenomenally. :wub: I think it’s timeless, just FiM. Its appeal still lasts, hence why so many adult fans of it exist. I think G5 could bring it back into public consciousness but I don’t think it will ever reach FiM’s height because FiM was much more unique and G5 looks a bit more like a general kids movie. 
Finally, the humour. It’s just something that has to be seen to be believed. ;)

• Brohoof 5

To be completely honest, I think that it aged well but not great. The other side of the fandom (you know the one) was a little bizarre which led to me and others leaving the fandom for a while. But it's message it's what keeps me motivated everyday :)

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, guardmaster said:

On more less related question. How is the humor in FiM? I definitely don't expect to be something as adult like in the Amazing World of Gumball, but how good is it compared to something more like in the Ducktales reboot?

Depends on the episode and writer. I would say, the DuckTales reboot got inspired by FIM quite a lot.

It has aged pretty well. It is trending on Netflix as well. Even 10 years from now, I will probably rewatch the whole series, so that means it isn't getting old anytime soon (I am getting old though!)

• Brohoof 2

This seems like a silly question, given that the show itself only ended a year ago.  

That said I think it's worth noting that there are various ways you can divide up the show. For example pre-/post- Alicorn Twilight and before/after Tirek. IIRC something were kind of divisive in the fandom.  

I for one would recommend watching S1 through S3 first and maybe rewatching it. Those episodes are all prior to Twilight  becoming an Alicorn/Princess. I feel like the later episodes take on a slightly different character because of that change.

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, StormyVenture said:

This seems like a silly question, given that the show itself only ended a year ago.  

That said I think it's worth noting that there are various ways you can divide up the show. For example pre-/post- Alicorn Twilight and before/after Tirek. IIRC something were kind of divisive in the fandom.  

I for one would recommend watching S1 through S3 first and maybe rewatching it. Those episodes are all prior to Twilight  becoming an Alicorn/Princess. I feel like the later episodes take on a slightly different character because of that change.

I suggest you watch everything.

9 hours ago, Splashee said:

Depends on the episode and writer. I would say, the DuckTales reboot got inspired by FIM quite a lot.

I Absolutely LOVED the Murder Ponies! Briar and Bramble were even voiced by Tara Strong and Andrea Libman! In later episodes, Friendship is LITERALLY magic!

• Brohoof 3

18 hours ago, guardmaster said:

Hey everyone! I've been following the MLP fandom for a while now, but for some reason I've never really watched too much of the show itself. Before I actually start watching it, I would like to know something.

Do you think that MlP FiM as a whole still retains much of its appeal to adults and newcomers, even in the face of other cartoons like Steven Universe, which from what I've heard seems to do the things FiM is good at much better. I've noticed that it faded from the mainstream more than other modern cartoons despite its massive influence it seems to have on them. Is it just because  less people are willing to give it a chance due to some stigma?

On a related note, I've heard that the ANG movie seem have had a strong start with both fans and critics alike. If it continues its stride through at least the series's first season, do you think it will be enough to bring it back to the mainstream consciousness (not as insanely much as it was in its heyday, but at least as much as other well-regarded modern cartoons).

I think it does. It's a great show which I can only recommended to watch. I also think MLP:FiM was also perfect for the timed it aired and resonating greatly with the internet and society. Due to this it's not spoken about it so loudly anymore outside of the fandom. I personally see this a good thing, but still it's something that changed.

A new Generation is in my humble opinion a great movie and worthy successors to G4. I don't know if this good enough, but many people started to come back even before the movie aired. If G5 keeping this shown quality up in the show and other movies/specials then I think there is a pretty good chance it could bring at least partially back.

The humor is good. There are also many pop culture references and jokes which hard for children to get. There is enough in it to make appeal to adults too.

I think you could give it a try and find out for yourself. Despite what we or anyone else think or say it's your opinion at the end which matters. I say this especially cause the opinion about the show can vary greatly in the fandom. There are people who love only first seasons, other just like the last ones and ppl like me love it in it's entirety. If you are interested, give it a try :> 

As I recall the Gen5 show is scheduled to start in one year (more or less). So you have also enough time to watch G4 to fill the gap if you want to that is :>

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I highly recommend you check out MLP. Seasons 1-4 (and part of 5) are amazing imo and hold up very well. I think the show lost its charm and uniqueness during Season 5, which is why I do not find the 2nd half of the show to be particularly good. I think the tone and quality of show shifting was a large factor in the fandom declining after 2015. Although many bronies find the later seasons to be as good or better than the early seasons, I think many of them can still agree that it largely felt like a very different show.  While other modern cartoons are better than MLP in many ways, I don't think any of them capture the charm of MLP's characters and humor had during the early seasons. I think that Seasons 1-5 are still very much worth watching because they offer that unique charm and style that other cartoons do not replicate. I don't find these seasons to have particularly hilarious humor for the most part, but I do think it managed to be pretty funny and the charm and earnestness of the character interactions really made it a joy to watch.

It was a simple show about seeing these characters in a fun fantasy world interact and grow with each other while seeing interesting magical concepts and locations slowly explored along the way. It was focused on cute and funny character interactions above all else and never got overly complex or in depth with lore. When it did occasionally get into more high stakes and actions packed stuff (mostly season premieres/finales) it did not lose any of its focus.  Despite being about something as cheesy as the "magic of friendship" it always played its concept and morals 100% straight and was completely earnest. Yes, this did make it childish in a way and it took a bit to get used to. But once I let myself get into it it became a joy.  It was extremely positive, wholesome, and genuine without an once of cynicism, while being very entertaining at the same time. The show always has helped better my mood and deal with loneliness issues I have had. While I like plenty of other modern cartoons, none of them replicate the comfort MLP has always provided me. It's truly more than the sum of its parts, which is why I think many bronies have trouble expressing to others why they like it so much.

I would recommend watching some fan favorite episodes from early seasons to get a feel for the show and to see if its something you would like to watch more of. (I do like the first few episodes, but they are far from the best of the show imo so I think there are better introduction episodes.) Here is a batch of episodes I would recommend watching that gives a good feeling for different aspects of the show and properly shows off every main character: 

S1E7: Dragonshy - Really fun episode that shows the personalities of all the characters (particularly Fluttershy) as well as the more adventurous side of the show. 

S1S14: Suited For Success - Extremely charming episode that managed to make the mundane and girly concept of making dresses very charming and showed off how interesting and generous of a character Rarity is and how she is so much more than the fashionista stereotype. A great song on top of that.

S1E16: Sonic Rainboom - A very simple plot made very fun and charming due to a creative location and its humor, and shows off Rainbow Dash's character very well. 

S2E1/2: Return of Harmony - Fun adventure that expresses the core messages of the show very well with plenty of great humor and a great villain. Was my personal first episode and it really hooked me.

S2E3: Lesson Zero - Hillarious and oddly disturbing too, shows off everything great about Twilight. Also one of Spike's best appearances.

S2E14: The Last Roundup - Just a plain fun episode that shows off Applejack well.

S2E22: Hurricane Fluttershy - An extremely well done episode that managed to be very emotional, intense, mature, but also very fun and satisfying. Shows Fluttershy at her very best. (my personal favorite episode btw)

S2E25/26: Canterlot Wedding - Emotional, darker episode with great villains, action and songs

S3E3: Too Many Pinkie Pies - Hillarious episode that shows off Pinkie Pie's character perfectly. (this spot could easily be substituted for S1E25 Party of One.  I personally find this one funnier but you can't go wrong either way.)

S3E6: Sleepless in Ponyville - Very emotional and fun episode with fantastic animation, humor, and some intense moments. Also shows off the CMC well, especially Scootaloo.

I think these episodes represent a well rounded showing of the different aspects of the show at their best without spoiling the overall story much. I'm willing to bet that if you like these episodes you will like at least the first few seasons of MLP, but if you don't like them then the show probably won't be one you enjoy. If you wind up checking out the show I hope it gives you the same joy it has given me! :adorkable:

Edited by Lone Traveler
  • Brohoof 1

On 2021-10-30 at 7:40 AM, guardmaster said:

I've noticed that it faded from the mainstream more than other modern cartoons despite its massive influence it seems to have on them. Is it just because  less people are willing to give it a chance due to some stigma?

Yeah I have noticed this too, and the stigma would be my guess for the reason. Because of the concept and name of the show, its not something people are interested in checking out unless directly heard positive things about it. If it wasn't for me seeing positive reviews of the show online from animation reviewers I already watched for other cartoons, there's no way I ever would have thought to check it out. 

On 2021-10-30 at 9:40 AM, guardmaster said:

I've noticed that it faded from the mainstream more than other modern cartoons despite its massive influence it seems to have on them. Is it just because  less people are willing to give it a chance due to some stigma?

Recent events and the name probably don't help much.

I basically agree with @Lone Traveler. The comparison to shows like Steven Universe isn't as notable in the first four seasons, because they're a really good little girls' cartoon with a little more depth and edge than you might expect. The later seasons are a bit closer to what the fantasy adventure cartoons of that time were doing, but I never felt My Little Pony was particularly good at that sort of thing; I like many of the ideas and even some episodes from seasons 5 onward, but I would not reccommend them as great television. 

• Brohoof 2

Up until Season 7 it's been pretty good, but from then on, it gets fan servicey, but you also need to have your own opinion on it. Don't let others keep you from watching it if you want to.

• 5 months later...
On 2021-10-30 at 10:40 PM, TomDaBombMLP said:

Oh, it’s aged phenomenally. :wub: I think it’s timeless, just FiM. Its appeal still lasts, hence why so many adult fans of it exist. I think G5 could bring it back into public consciousness but I don’t think it will ever reach FiM’s height because FiM was much more unique and G5 looks a bit more like a general kids movie. 
Finally, the humour. It’s just something that has to be seen to be believed. ;)

Couldn't have said it better! :mlp_yeehaa: FiM really is timeless, it never becomes old or boring. As I tried to make a blog about it, I faced the huge problem that words simply can't describe how breathtakingly amazing the show is. :wub: It needs to be experienced, there is no way around it, hahaha~

• Brohoof 2

Though I'm more invested in G5 content now and believe it could surpass G4 in quality, I believe most of FiM has held up well. The middle seasons of the show (4 and 5) are still some of the best content we have ever gotten from a young kids show in my eyes and even some of the episodes from the early seasons that I once thought were just okay, I realize are better in retrospect. I can also say the same about the later seasons of the show (8 and 9), dubious writing decisions concerning the development of the show's world definitely gave some of these episodes a bad rap. 

• Brohoof 1