Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if G5's episodes were 11 minutes long instead of 22 minutes?

phantompone1148

FIM's episodes were 22 minutes long so i have been wondering: "what if G5 reduced the episode length by half?" I would be alright with it tbh. I have a feeling 11 minutes could work.

Edited by phantompone1148
  • Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to What if G5's episodes were 11 minutes long instead of 22 minutes?

Steven Universe had 11 minutes long episodes, and the most important episodes were released 2 at a time 8they were basically always released 2 at a time to make up for the time slot). Sometimes they ended like they knew they would be picked up immediately afterwards. I think it is too short of a time. A comparison, Helluva Boss which is between 14 and 19 minutes long, is a show that is made by an independent studio and released for free on YouTube almost monthly.

22 minutes are sometimes too short, as some older MLP episodes failed to include some important plot or just a perfect ending. G5 needs at least 22 minutes to feel like a real show in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

The 22-minute episodes generally worked well for G4, I don't see any reason to change that. But having a more flexible episode length would be good – every episode being the exact same length will lead to some episodes feeling rushed or drawn out. It's probably not fun for the writers, either.

• Brohoof 4

G4 had quite a few that felt rushed at 22, and I could tell on most where one was in an episode, because of the sudden pace increases. 

G5 should just let each one be however long or parts it needs to be and then if one is short, put a short one after it to fill the allotted time or split it as needed.

If its streaming only, I see 0 point in having a consistent time length for each episode as there is no reason for it, no commercials, no schedule to keep, Etc.

• Brohoof 1

I want them kept at 22 minutes. :) They could make it work, but episodes that are 11 minutes long work better for gag comedies. Friendship is Magic always needed 22-minute episodes for plots that had a lot of focus on character interactions, something essential for a show with a lot of focus on world building and character development.

6 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I hate the trend of 11 minute episodes. Take enough time to actually tell a freaking story.

Cartoon Network's "Unikitty!" is the only show I've seen where I felt like they were able to tell a well-structured story, for its style,

in an 11 minute time limit. 

I hope Generation 5's episodes aren't only 11 minutes because a lot of times those stories are barely fleshed out before time expires. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

I would still watch them, but I prefer more content than just that.

6 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I hate the trend of 11 minute episodes. Take enough time to actually tell a freaking story.

You know what, most modern-day movies and TV shows could benefit from this logic. Like, if the G5 movie extended it's runtime by at least 15 more minutes, they could have focused on developing Pipp's and Zipp's character. Or if Star Wars The Last Jedi didn't try to save time by killing off Snoke and Phasma but instead developed their characters more, it might have received less hate. The Lord of The Rings was like 3-hours per movie, but one reason it was a success was because they took their time to develop the characters. and not rush through the movies.

• Brohoof 1