Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Suggestion: Ignored users improvement.

Props Valroa

I have an idea for a suggestion for ignored users. I notice that for users on my ignored list, I can still see their name and posts on the main forum page as well as their avatar. Could this be looked at to where an ignored user isn't seen at all by the person ignoring them? Could even go a step further and prevent them from viewing your profile.

Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 2

I can only answer this part of your suggestion:

35 minutes ago, Starforce said:

Could even go a step further and prevent them from viewing your profile.

Any user who is signed out, as well as any guests can read most areas of the forum. That includes profiles.

Picking and choosing who can and can't read content on a message board freely open to the public is against our general values as a board focused on a fandom about social interactions.

• Brohoof 8

I don't see what the big deal is. Reading a little bit of what a user I'm ignoring anyway has posted on the main page has never bothered me, nor has their avatar for that matter. I do understand profile viewing, but yes, even guests can do that, and any posts they make on your profile could just be ignored anyway. 

• Brohoof 2

39 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I don't see what the big deal is. Reading a little bit of what a user I'm ignoring anyway has posted on the main page has never bothered me, nor has their avatar for that matter. I do understand profile viewing, but yes, even guests can do that, and any posts they make on your profile could just be ignored anyway. 

plus you can see their weaknesses and plan for their downfall muhahahaha:Cozy:.

scheme scheme scheme:oh_golly:

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 2

@Splashee

That is the way it works on other sites such as deviantart. There is a block feature that prevents people from viewing your page. I don’t understand how that can be against a sites values. But then again if that was the case they could simply log out to view every profile making that easy to get around, hmm. Seems as though there is no way around that.

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Orchid_Fiore said:

Or an option to prevent ignored users and guests from viewing your profile...

That is basically what I want. On other sites there are options to prohibit your profile from being viewed by those who aren’t logged in, actually.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, FlitterFlutter said:

Really you shouldn't post anything on any website that you don't mind everyone in the world seeing. 

We're also not DeviantArt or heaven forbid, Twitter. Those sites are meant for much broader audiences, this is an open community for MLP fans to come together in, that's the whole point of the website. 

• Brohoof 2

This isn’t the first time this recommendation has come up.

However, there is reasoning as to why we cannot/will not expand the ignore feature. In short: it would be technologically challenging to execute, it goes against what MLP Forums is as a fandom forum, and expanding the ignore feature would basically mean users are given a staff ability.

@Jeric summed it up in a post under a thread advocating something similar:

• This would entail a core custom code change. This takes extensive effort to complete correctly. 
    • When upgrading the forum for security risks or feature releases from the software company this custom code needs to be manually checked for compatibility. What has happened before, with many a forum, is that extremely well thought of custom code had to be scrapped because the software natively support the code added and upgrades break the code. Time and effort in maintaining custom code has to always be done knowing you have the time and manpower to actually maintain it. The more time to spend maintaining, the less time you have to do other things -- called opportunity cost. 
  • This creates a UX issue. Guests can read most areas of this forum. So can any user who is signed out. This means that you would not really prevent anyone from reading your posts, but just responding to it. That is what is referred to as a thread ban. More on that later.  
  • Picking and choosing who can and can't read content on a message board freely open to the public is against our general values as a board focused on a fandom about social interactions. 
  • You are actually describing a user-controlled thread ban. This is a tool that only staff has the capability to use for a reason, and we only use it in very very specific and well documented cases. In most cases we have several staffers come to an agreement to prevent a user from seeing a topic. There is a check on moderation powers for a very good reason. 
  • Creating a system based on a few outliers and random interactions is basically managing to the exception. That is a philosophy that sucks time from people faster than a vampire exsanguinates its prey. It's a bad cookie and Jeric doesn't eat bad cookies. No thank you. 
  • We have rules against abuse if someone is an all out ass on this forum to someone else. That is what staff looks for. Not if you have personal disagreements. We are not in the business to protect people from divergent views. 

We hope that no one has to block anyone, but if you do it is better to use something that prevents you from seeing their content, than the reverse. This is why a feature like this never existed on MLPF, and likely won't going forward. At present and looking into 2021 no one here has the time to dedicate to this even if it was overwhelming popular. It is also a good time to point out that we never accept that ''x' does something so why can't you?'' as an argument unless it aligns with our main purpose for this site existing. Creating restrictions like this doesn't. Users can always control how to react and whether or not they even respond to something they don't like. Not every interaction users have that is uncomfortable for them will violate the rules.

I understand why you or anyone else would ask for this. Unfortunately, it is not something we will likely ever add.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

@The Wife of Arataki

I can understand the limitations within the code, I completely get that part. The part that I have an issue with is, "it goes against what MLP Forums is as a fandom forum, and expanding the ignore feature would basically mean users are given a staff ability." My suggestion has nothing to do with excluding people from each other. On several other sites, you can change a setting to make your profile only viewable to registered users. How does that go against the idea of a 'fandom' forum?

I am not suggesting for anyone to have staff permissions or to be able to 'exclude' certain people from threads - I am suggesting for the current system to be expanded upon. Usually when you have someone on an ignored list, you wouldn't see them on the main page. Say I have ignored someone, I won't see them in the threads and anywhere else? That's fine, but why is it when you ignore someone, you can see their username and avatar on the main page? 

Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 2

It's not logical to ask for an option that stops a guest from seeing your profile. All the block should really be doing is stopping the other person from talking to you.

• Brohoof 4

Ignoring and entirely wiping someone off the screen are kind of two different things. Of course I understand why such measures are desired, but Deviantart or Twitter are different things than a message board like MLPF, so I'm not sure if what they have would translate well to MLPF. Here you have general discussions on their own, that everyone can take part in (like a public room everyone can go to), where on Deviantart or Twitter, everything happens on user walls (like actually going to someone's home) - that's the difference to start with.

And to give few examples why it may not work well on MLPF:

1) There are forum games, where one user posts after another and it's often important what the previous post is in order to continue the game properly. Now if users would be ignoring each other, there would be chaos in these games. Replies would often be skipped, thus could disrupt the flow or even worse, irritate the user, who got ignored. If just seeing someone bothers you, imagine how the ignored user would feel for being visibly and publicly ignored with their posts being swept under the carpet. While it sounds rather trivial, I'm certain this would spawn further complications, that wouldn't have ideal solutions available.

2) Naturally, you probably wouldn't like to see those users' threads either. That creates an another issue, because you may end up not knowing about existence of some bigger/hot discussions, like episode threads or discussions related to something big happening on media. Having those removed from your view will incorrectly suggest, that such threads don't exist, and you might end up thinking of starting them yourself. When you decide to do so, and get your thread locked for being a duplicate afterwards, you'll find yourself in a tricky position. Therefore, ironically, from one point of view, thanks to this feature you could basically ban yourself from the topic. I wouldn't be surprised if users would start arguing with staff in such circumstances, because technically it's not user's fault for using the given feature, so obviously further solutions from staff would be requested.

3) Even if, you'd be still bumping into ignored users' presence anyway. If a not-ignored user would quote a user you ignore, your eyes would still take Area of Effect damage. It's a boss you can't be immune to. e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png

So as you can see, there it somewhat would be like solving a problem, while creating few other.

Basically, the ignore feature attempts to prevent from obvious direct interactions like messaging. If someone is still being a nuisance outside that, there's always the option to report the user.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 7

This forum has many ways to quote or tag a member. Anonymous quotes. Tags that aren't linked to the actual quote. This form of indirection works well in a system built for social interaction and friendship. Obviously if friends of your friends are supposed to be ignored, then the whole friendship falls apart. And to be honest, we are all here for friendship.

Just as an example of these technical issues to ignore someone, which will be myself to not hurt anyone's feelings:

Spoiler
19 hours ago, Splashee said:

I can only answer this part of your suggestion

Spoiler

@Splashee "I can only answer this part of your suggestion"

Spoiler

I can only answer this part of your suggestion

And because I quoted this member (myself), should I also be ignored? What happens if every member in one way or form quoted or indirectly referenced this ignored member? That would make this forum quite..... empty.

• Brohoof 3

@Rikifive

Thank you for explaining this is in a technical manner, which I was hoping to see. I really do suppose there is no way around certain things, so to speak. I suppose it makes sense since this is a smaller site than deviantart, where there is close to no community experience as a whole, as opposed to here. You never fail to deliver the levels of clarification and details that I desire from a moderation team.

@Splashee

I can completely understand the spirit of what you are saying, I was more of asking about the technical solutions and why such a solution would or wouldn't be put into place. Believe me, we are all here to enjoy this place (why wouldn't we be?). 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

@Rikifive

Thank you for explaining this is in a technical manner, which I was hoping to see. I really do suppose there is no way around certain things, so to speak. I suppose it makes sense since this is a smaller site than deviantart, where there is close to no community experience as a whole, as opposed to here. You never fail to deliver the levels of clarification and details that I desire from a moderation team.

@Splashee

I can completely understand the spirit of what you are saying, I was more of asking about the technical solutions and why such a solution would or wouldn't be put into place. Believe me, we are all here to enjoy this place (why wouldn't we be?). 

discord approves:umad:

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Ignoring and entirely wiping someone off the screen are kind of two different things. Of course I understand why such measures are desired, but Deviantart or Twitter are different things than a message board like MLPF, so I'm not sure if what they have would translate well to MLPF. Here you have general discussions on their own, that everyone can take part in (like a public room everyone can go to), where on Deviantart or Twitter, everything happens on user walls (like actually going to someone's home) - that's the difference to start with.

Got to admit, even I couldn't go into as much detail as you did about exactly why this wouldn't work. I'm impressed. Only thing I could possibly add is that also unlike a place like Twitter, this site doesn't promise any user a "safe space". By default, you should already view this forum where you can spend time with your fellow bronies as a comfort zone. That doesn't mean you have to like everyone, but a place like this shouldn't have a big emphasis on blocking and ignoring people, it also gives the MLP community a bad look. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Got to admit, even I couldn't go into as much detail as you did about exactly why this wouldn't work. I'm impressed. Only thing I could possibly add is that also unlike a place like Twitter, this site doesn't promise any user a "safe space". By default, you should already view this forum where you can spend time with your fellow bronies as a comfort zone. That doesn't mean you have to like everyone, but a place like this shouldn't have a big emphasis on blocking and ignoring people, it also gives the MLP community a bad look. 

heck I didn't even bother reading it, and I sure support and trust @Rikifive! I completely agree! and my answer is yes. :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

26 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

Just ignore the person in general if you have such a problem with them, it's the internet don't take it so seriously. 

what!? not seriously!?.... yup that's true... that's why the dark web existed.... people don't take the net seriously....puff they appeared.