Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you excited for Make Your Mark?

CastletonSnob

4 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Tell me about it. Hasbro has very consistently done an awful job with advertising this generation's content. :maud:

For real. TYT just doesn’t do it for me. Not that I was expecting to, but with only the pilot movie,  a special, and no news for the actual show, it’s getting harder to invest in G5 :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

For real. TYT just doesn’t do it for me. Not that I was expecting to, but with only the pilot movie,  a special, and no news for the actual show, it’s getting harder to invest in G5 :scoots:

Only reason I am not up to date on it is since I am constantly busy. It is decent but sometimes hard to watch with its fast pace. It’s not bad. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

That's probably because its purpose is to entertain. You're not supposed to watch TYT like you'd watch an anime series or something. However, even if you are not a comic guy, I still have to recommend the comics, because the story being built there is more like that. 

As others have said, Hasbro is making it really, really difficult to stay invested in its series.  I keep giving it chance after chance, but I've made it clear when my cut-off point will be.  Either MYM will deliver, or I will take my leave.  With that said, I suppose I am looking forward to it.  Either I get the series I've been holding out for, or I'm free of this limbo.  It's a net positive for me either way.  I'm definitely looking forward to the next Vanhoover that I can actually go to regardless.  

• Brohoof 1

I'm hopeful that the Make Your Mark series will be good, but my expectations are not high. Almost everything about G5 has been mediocre so far, so it wouldn't surprise me if this upcoming series followed suite. If MYM wants to be a really good show, then it has a lot to do. The world that has been built up for G5 so far has been very lacking, so I hope that this series does a lot to try to actually develop Equestria beyond just three cities. I also want the characters to be developed enough. While the main characters do have some development already, certain characters, like Pipp, are just bland and one-dimensional. MYM is going to have to put in some effort in order to make these characters more interesting and likable. Lastly, G5's version of pony magic needs to be explained more and be made consistent with G4's version of it. So to go back and answer the question, I am excited for all the potential that MYM has expand upon this generation. However, I'm not sure if it will actually manage to do this. 

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Landi said:

I'm hopeful that the Make Your Mark series will be good, but my expectations are not high. everything about G5 has been mediocre so far, so it wouldn't surprise me if this upcoming series followed suite. If MYM wants to be a good show, then it has a lot to do. The world that has been built up for G5 so far has been very lacking, so I hope that this series does a lot to try to develop Equestria beyond just three . I also want to be developed enough. While the do have some development , certain characters, like Pipp, are just bland and one-dimensional. MYM is going to have to put in some in order to make these characters more interesting and likable. Lastly, G5's version of pony needs to be explained more and be made consistent with G4's version of it. So to go back and answer , I am excited for all the that MYM has expand upon this generation. , I'm not sure if it will manage to do this. 

In all fairness, FiM's magic system was never really defined, though it was designed in such a way that if you know anything about magic systems in other media such as Harry Potter, you can kind of just use their logic to understand how FiM works.  In G5's fanfic-like unnecessary follow-up however, there are certainly more rules introduced, such as a Crystal Empire-esque crystal thing that houses pony magic, so it would certainly help if there was more explanation.  Of course, for all the corners cut in the writing department, "all records have been lost to time" is an effective means to avoid having to explain how things work, by virtue of the characters not understanding them either.  It's not the mark of great writing, but it does make in-universe sense, so it is a bit of a get out of jail free card.  

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Kujamih said:

Kill the hype.... The best thing we can do for now... 

Don't worry bruh, Hasbro is doing a good enough job of that without our help.  If the hype train derails, it's worth noting that they built the track and are acting as its conductor.  

17 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

In all fairness, FiM's magic system was never really defined, though it was designed in such a way that if you know anything about magic systems in other media such as Harry Potter, you can kind of just use their logic to understand how FiM works.  In G5's fanfic-like unnecessary follow-up however, there are certainly more rules introduced, such as a Crystal Empire-esque crystal thing that houses pony magic, so it would certainly help if there was more explanation.  Of course, for all the corners cut in the writing department, "all records have been lost to time" is an effective means to avoid having to explain how things work, by virtue of the characters not understanding them either.  It's not the mark of great writing, but it does make in-universe sense, so it is a bit of a get out of jail free card.  

Yeah, FiM's magic system wasn't flawless, especially towards the later seasons. However, I think one of the big issues with G5 as a whole is that the writers decided to put it in the same universe as G4. This resents in the connection being sloppy due to all the inconsistencies. How did the sun and the moon work in Equestria without magic? How is the weather now moving on it's own? What happened to pegasi's ability to control the weather? These are questions that I want answered in MYM, but I'm not sure if the writers will care enough to explain these things. 

• Brohoof 2

These are simple things Landi. They can be explained with a single line of text in a comic book or show. A more serious problem (for me) is fact that the show so far has been very boring and with no perspective for a longer series. Conflicts were a big part of the G4 and the world took on depth as a result. It wasn't so candy ... at this point, conflicts are immediately punished by taking magic from ponies. It's blackmail and big dot. There is a very high probability that we do not understand everything today - I hope so. Maybe this is the usual trick of the creators to make the story stick together... Or maybe powerful Twilight spell? :ticking:We will find out.

I can see big differences in the engagement of the director's pen. And it's not about taking care of present problems from real life, tolerance etc. or technology. The show simply doesn't encourage you to stay longer. Mane5 hadn't got a lot of time to introduce themselves. For me TyT is more cooler than MyM's special and movie from 2021. I miss the mystery from the previous generation: creatures, places... and attention to characters from background. They are there but just to be. Anyway the fifth generation has very little room to actually judge it. This is probably the mainly reason why I follow it still.

I remember when I was watching 2017's movie. I didn't want to check time to know how much is left to the end - it was so cool to me. When I was watching the new generation, I had to take 4 breaks. Somehow I was not bought by the atmosphere of looking for friends, dancing duels or bad sheriff. :scoots: The new generation's movie had a lot of motives from G4. I guess thanks to that I survived to the end.

It's not bad... It is very med. Very very med. I'm curious to see how MyM will handle it in the 20 minute format. I hope it will be good. Finally, I agree with Albatross's every opinion. If it will be a trash - I will be happy because I will cut myself from it... and if it will be a good show... then I will get a good show, right? :secret: Cant wait to the september

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-07-21 at 4:57 PM, Landi said:

How did the sun and the moon work in Equestria without magic? How is the weather now moving on it's own? What happened to pegasi's ability to control the weather? These are questions that I want answered in MYM, but I'm not sure if the writers will care enough to explain these things. 

I hope they address these.  Heck, they could make a two-part season finale about this if they wanted:  the sun is staying in one place, the temperature is rising, pegasi find out they can move clouds so they pour rain down on everyone to cool them off, but that's only buying a little time for the mane 5 to figure things out.

that'd be a pretty good conflict for the ponies to resolve, and it'd be a very MLP-ish plot, I might add:  there's danger, there's world-ending stakes, but it's very fantasy, and it's not as scary for the little girls in the audience as, say, Galactus threatening to eat the Earth would be.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, originally, I was quite excited for Make your Mark, but after watching it and being able to reflect on it, I started to realize that there were so many plot holes with their background stories and how magic works, so I'm just a little disappointed now. I hope they fix this mistake and address this soon.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...