Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E32 - Baby Critters

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Baby Critters
Release Date: October 20, 2022
Written By: Jessica Silcock and Naomi Smith
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Another compilation following the actual episode!

Edited by Ashen Pathfinder
  • Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to S01:E32 - Baby Critters

My first thought was it was a little "similar" to "Making a Foal of Me" but I re-watched it and there are plenty of distinct differences aside from trying to sell Sunny, Hitch and Izzy as cute baby ponies(to bad we couldn't have seen baby Pipp and Zipp) but ANYWAYS back to "Baby Critters" yes the obvious emphasis on responsibility over crazy babies but most of all considerably a stand alone for Jazz and a look at how she handles things outside her norm of responsibility... I hope we get a Jazz support episode in MYM, she's cute, sometimes the message of "apply what skills you do have" to a situation doesn't always work, but I'm glad it worked out for her, messes can be cleaned the safety and well being of the baby critters is MOST important and she was able to manage

Edited by Spook Conundrum
  • Brohoof 1

No Halloween theme, no Misty, and our first time since Pony Life with Applejack's fertilizer that we are seeing actual dookie in My Little Pony. :blink:

Actually, this episode was alright. Plot's very similar to both FiM's Baby Cakes and this show's Making a Foal of Me, but honestly, a lot of toddler babysitting episodes have similar plots. The high points of this one were definitely Jazz in the spotlight, Opaline thinking she was being prank called, and the remix of the song from Pony Partay. I'm glad every episode from now on is not going to be about the shenanigans of Opaline and Misty, given how repetitive that would be, but I did like both of the Nightmare Night episodes involving their antics better than this one. Hope the last episode of the month can have a Nightmare Night theme. 

• Brohoof 2

It was a good episode, and I am extremely glad Jazz got the spotlight here. A good, fun, fluff episode. No complaints. ^^

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Jazz Hooves, Derpy Hooves, related?

Ehhhhh, I'm not seeing it.  There's another background pony with something close to her colors, and I thought she was a pegasus, and she might be related.  But Jazz?  Not seeing it.

I'm glad this was a slice-of-life episode instead of being another villain-drives-the-plot ep; MYM left me thirsty for some MLP slice-of-life, and left me feeling like I should've been careful what I wished for when I wished G-4 had had a season where there was a season-wide main villain whose machinations drive either the A plot or the B plot of the majority of the season's episodes:  that describes literally every episode of MYM.  In other words:  MYM had no filler episodes and no pure slice-of-life episodes.

Now, what G-4 didn't do, G-5 is doing, and in general that's good.  But without slice-of-life mixed into it, it just doesn't feel like My Little Pony!  That's why I wasn't wishing for every episode's plots to involve the villain then, and why I'm glad to see some slice-of-life now!

All that being said, Opaline getting called on the mirror while she's got a facial mask and hair curlers on was a genuinely funny moment, and at least it reminded us that she's still in the plot.  That's fine; it's still a slice-of-life episode!

One thing I don't quite like is that they're relying on toilet humor again.  I couldn't believe the word "poop" was actually in the start of the episode, but once that ice was broken, it didn't surprise me as much to actually see it---though the poo being pastel and rainbow-colored was a surprise!

• Brohoof 1

This episode was pretty good. It seems like Jazz is becoming a pretty important minor character. I thought the idea of applying your strengths was pretty well executed. 

29 minutes ago, RDDash said:

I think I saw Rainbow Dash plush toy :ooh:

When? Where?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, HereComesTom said:

Ehhhhh, I'm not seeing it.  There's another background pony with something close to her colors, and I thought she was a pegasus, and she might be related.  But Jazz?  Not seeing it.

It's been a thousand years, no reason they should look alike. But "hooves" is probably a really common pony name.

1 hour ago, RDDash said:

I think I saw Rainbow Dash plush toy :ooh:

Me too. :)

• Brohoof 2

This one's alright IMHO.  It treads similar ground to Baby Cakes, and even a previous episode in this very series, but there's no Sparky, and no Misty.  Opaline only makes a very brief cameo.  This is not the episode to make me fall in love with a series that at best I feel is redundant, but it's not bad per se.  I really feel that keeping the animals from destroying things would be easiest if they just didn't live in the Brighthouse, especially since Hitch doesn't even live there.  Perhaps the Mane Five should think of that.  Then again, that would result in fewer formulaic options for a redundant plot, so perhaps that's why they writing allows them to take up residence there.  

• Brohoof 1

HAD to point this out, ummm wtf about Sparky?! Now that he's been officially introduced in TYT you would think that Jazz would also be given the responsibility of watching him alongside these critters? It's not like they have another babysitter special for Sparky and we clearly see they did not take him...:dash:

Edited by Spook Conundrum
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Spook Conundrum said:

HAD to point this out, ummm wtf about Sparky?! Now that he's been officially introduced in TYT you would think that Jazz would also be given the responsibility of watching him alongside these critters? It's not like they have another babysitter special for Sparky and we clearly see they did not take him...:dash:

Maybe Pipp's male associate whose name I don't care enough to learn took care of him.  If so, there's an even more derivative parallel episode to be had here.  

• Brohoof 1

It was entertaining but pretty mediocre, nothing special about it, mostly it was just the usual slapstick humour. A shame about the mention of poop and the actual appearance of it later on. Tell Your Tale seems to be going all out with the toilet humour, which is something I find unfortunate.  Nice to see the Rainbow Dash plush though.

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 1