Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About Granny Smith...

Tenshinohana

(edited)

So, a question about Granny Smith has come to my mind:

Has Granny Smith always been Granny Smith, even when she was a little filly? What was she called as a little filly?

I've been thinking about this for a while and wondering if it'd be suited as a thread, so here I am.

Do you think Granny Smith is a nickname, or has she always been running around with "Granny" in her name?

Of course the name bases on the green apple called "Granny Smith". So maybe she was called that as a little filly, even tho it was a little awkward..?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Tenshinohana
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm assuming she's called Granny Smith cause she's a Granny, but ya never know.

That's just my point. What was she called as a little filly then?

//Edit: I edited the post so that my question is a little bit more clear. :P

Edited by Tenshinohana

That's just my point. What was she called as a little filly then?

//Edit: I edited the post so that my question is a little bit more clear. :P

Well, I don't think the writers really thought of that when they came up with her name XD

I doubt she's always been Granny Smith. She's a famous figure in the town for being the eldest standing member of the Apple Family which is the source of Ponyville's cider & apples, among other event-related happenings that concern the town, thusly, everyone has come to know her as Granny Smith. I assume she has a real name or a nickname somewhere that just hasn't been mentioned.

You know how you call your Grandma, grandma (or whatever) well I assume that granny = grandma. Because she is an older and well respected member of the ponyville community, everyone just knows her as granny because that's what they've heard her be called. I'm sure she has an actual first name. ~
  • Brohoof 1

According to MLP Wikia, Granny Smith is named after an apple cultivar called "Granny Smith" (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Granny_Smith). This would suggest that she has always been called Granny Smith, but I'm guessing that she could have gotten that name later, after she grew up. Who knows, the writers probably didn't think about this, since the name is perfect for her: it suggests that she is old, and it has a connection to apples :).

I like how she's tough, since Granny Smiths (the apples) are one of the toughest apples I know of. Others I can break with my hands, but not this granny...

I guess that's why she's still around and kicking

Anyhow, as for the name Granny, tough one. Maybe they just called her Anny Smith (second name of the person the Granny Smith apples are named after). Easy to add the Gr in front of it.

I guess it's just one of those things left open to think about.

(edited)

Granny is a nickname, and her surname (Smith) probably could be explained by being the herritage on Big Macintosh, Applejack's and Applebloom's mother's side, which is why their surname is Apple and not Smith.

Edited by Blue

She was a colt named Smith Granule before her surgery. Part of the Wheathoof family of grain growers ostracized because of her identity issues, she found a home in the apples who were generally more tolerant.

• Brohoof 1

She was a colt named Smith Granule before her surgery. Part of the Wheathoof family of grain growers ostracized because of her identity issues, she found a home in the apples who were generally more tolerant.

I don't know what you've been smoking son, but you best share!

I don't know what you've been smoking son, but you best share!

Salmon man. Smoked fresh Canadian salmon. With ground peppercorns and a twist of lemon.

• 1 year later...

She was "Green Apple" or Greeny for short. She left the apple family and married a Stallion name Wesson Smith, a sheriff. While she enjoyed her life with him she missed home and she feared for her children and the dangerous life her husband put forth. She sent her daughter back to Ponyville to grow up under her Brother's care since he was a gelding with no family of his own. Eventually her husband's line of work caught up with him and he died in violence. She came back to Ponyville to live with her adult daughter and her new husband. However this peaceful reunion was not to last long. Not long after her youngest granddaughter was born he daughter and her husband were caught in a horrible tragedy. Old and already having lost the opportunity to raise one child both duty, honor, and love drove her to raise these young foals on her own.

Her name is Green Apple Smith

Mac has always known her as Granny. Mac's mother called her Granny Smith so as to distinguish her from her husband's mother to the colt.

So she became Granny Smith to everyone, and she wears her husband's name with pride. But rest assured. She is an Apple. though and through.

P.S. (I made all that up.)

Granny Smith is a variety of apple. That is green.

But some pony names are turning out to be weird:

Bulk Biceps. Is this a nickname? Or was he born with overgrown muscles?

Time Turner. Why would a mother call her foal Time Turner?

Luna. Did she have a different name before becoming a princess?

Seriously... Mi Amore Cadenza.  ^_^

Shining Armor... What, was he born with an armor?

Apple Fritter. Why did her name mimic her cutie mark, keeping in mind that she must have been named before getting her cutie mark.

Photo Finish.

Fleur de Lis.

Fancypants.

Fluttershy... 

Donut Joe.

Maybe the mothers have some sort of prophetic dream about what the foal's name should be.

• 2 years later...

That sounds like a bad fanfiction

Well, according to Ink Rose, she used to be called Lady Smith.

It was an ironic endearing nickname given to her. She always look so young that they called her Granny Smith just like how Little John got his name who wasn't little at all.

img-2907996-1-granny_smith_when_she_was_

img-2775476-1-granny_smith_by_milkydayy-

Now let those images be burned into your retina.

• 8 months later...