What is Derpy's Cutie Mark?

Twi Rubix

Bubbles for three reasons. (that I can think of)

1. Lauren Faust wanted to create a pony that was close to one of her other characters from her other shows. So, she chose Bubbles from the PPG and put bubbles on derpy's flank.

2. Derpy is Derpy. She's lovable, but clumsy. That's kind of like a certain kind of bubbly personality.

3. She just doesn't know what went wrong.

• 1 month later...

So, I have a fun theory: Warp Speed. Bear with me.

An Alcubierre (or "warp") drive, works by expanding and contracting spacetime on opposite ends of a craft (pay no mind to the fact that this craft must have zero mass), then essentially surfing the resulting wave across the universe without actually moving at all. In order to do this, the craft rests in a region of flat space known as a "Warp Bubble"...

Derpy is a spaceship, and her cutie mark is warp bubbles. She delivers your mail faster than light.

Maybe Derpy is The TaRDiS?

(I also like the pinball theory)

I could have just said:scootaloo_forum_signature_by_doktorhorde

I like that comic where bon bon asks why Derpy's cutie mark is neither Muffins nor Letters. Only to dicover the bubbles cutie mark is her talent for drowning ponies that hate muffins or mock her.

Derpy with a darkside, nopony is safe xD

no_one_bucks_with_rainbow_dash_stamp_by_  

My OC's:  MalinterRahl, Vengeful impact & alias-the-marked-one

First fic i've written since forever here

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier." most legendary quote ever.

I like that comic where bon bon asks why Derpy's cutie mark is neither Muffins nor Letters. Only to dicover the bubbles cutie mark is her talent for drowning ponies that hate muffins or mock her.

Derpy with a darkside, nopony is safe xD

Oh god that's brilliant! Where could someone find this?

Perhaps it's completely symbolic. Pinkie has balloons, yet her talent has nothing literally to do with balloons; it's just symbolic of parties and making ponies happy. Anything that even involves bubbles on any level might grant a bubbles cutie mark.

It might even be the bubbles that yeast release when baked, causing muffins to rise.

I could have just said:scootaloo_forum_signature_by_doktorhorde

It's most probably her bubbly personality c:

I've heard of a couple of other theories, such as the bubbles actually representing... Bubblewrap. 

bubblewrap.jpg

If you take into consideration her job as a mailpony, this makes sense...

• Brohoof 1

9soUsmZ.png

Signature by Azura

Oh god that's brilliant! Where could someone find this?

Perhaps it's completely symbolic. Pinkie has balloons, yet her talent has nothing literally to do with balloons; it's just symbolic of parties and making ponies happy. Anything that even involves bubbles on any level might grant a bubbles cutie mark.

It might even be the bubbles that yeast release when baked, causing muffins to rise.

Well since you asked here it is. Got to admit, the comic does have a point XD but her mark probably is related to her personality.

post-20017-0-97473600-1382558843_thumb.jpg

no_one_bucks_with_rainbow_dash_stamp_by_  

My OC's:  MalinterRahl, Vengeful impact & alias-the-marked-one

First fic i've written since forever here

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier." most legendary quote ever.

• 5 months later...

As for how I thought Depry got her Cutie Mark depicting Bubbles, well this video of the Nostalgia Critic reviewing an old commercial contains the answer. Of course, I intend no offense.

Just replace Billy with Derpy and you'll see what I mean. Yeah, I thought she played with that thing and discovered her bubbly personality that way.  

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

Either her bubbly personality or being a bit of a bubblehead, one or the other.

There was a somewhat depressing fanfic on fimfiction.net that suggested Derpy's mother couldn't stand her because of her low intelligence. She took Derpy to the edge of the Everfree Forest and abandoned her, and to distract Derpy while she left, she gave her a dish of soap solution and a bubble wand.

RedCedarForumSignature.png
Roleplaying OC: Red Cedar - Cast Character: Applejack

I think it's because

Bubbles float around with no motive and eventually pop with no resistance against their deaths. Derpy randomly floats around considering she has wings, and she is so derpy that she will crash into stuff (like in the last roundup.) Therefor, Derpy and bubbles are quite similar.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it save equistria with its five candy coloured friends and shoot rainbows at bad guys using their necklaces and tiara unless you're celestia
Also if your not familiar with the count to one million post then check out our welcoming cheer!
http://mlpforums.com/topic/69955-count-to-one-million/page-1188
Just scroll to the bottom and it'll be there

• 2 years later...

Derpy's cutie mark is bubbles, how ever there are mnay explanations for her cutie mark. For one thing, in the Cupcakes series: Muffin Side story, it says that Derpy's mother was teaching her how to blow bubbles and that was when she got her cutie mark. After that her mother abandoned her. There is also another one that states that because of her eyes, Derpy was an outcast to society, so when she saw other people that were outcast too she would blow bubbles in their direction in order to make them happy.

My headcanon is that bubbles represent her irrepresible levity. While she is obviously an incorrigible klutz, in nearly every scene we see her in, she remains cheerful despite being a miniature cloud of miniature disasters. While obviously aware of the material damage she causes, she still reacts with apparent optimism and an attempt to fix it.

• Brohoof 1

Current project: The Olden World audiobook

What's to stop you?

It's probably symbolic and reflects on her personality similar to Cheerile's cutie mark.

But to be honest, I am more confused about Pokey Pierce's cutie mark rather than Derpy's.

CJlO22H.png

Well, foremost pretend that your an actual bubble. Bubbles don't fly fast nor very well, run into things occasionally, and bring joy to upon whom sees it.

Her bubbles signify that see may not be the most precise or fastest flyer and that Derpy may run into things if she's not paying close attention. She also brings joy to her brief appearances on the show and just like actual bubbles, it's for fun.

Her bubbles signify that she's a bit of an airhead (she shows some... * ahem * "Ditzy tendencies" in her appearances) but she's also generally happy (bubbly, as it were). It's the simplest interpretation I can think of, although it might suggest something slightly different to each of her fans.

Happy minion of The Fabulous One!

img-2257-1-sig-2257.sig-2257.sig-2257.Full_Spectrum2_2.jpg

Signature by Midnightive

Check out my blog! https://mlpforums.com/blog/1083-sunny-side-den/

Well, foremost pretend that your an actual bubble. Bubbles don't fly fast nor very well, run into things occasionally, and bring joy to upon whom sees it.

Her bubbles signify that see may not be the most precise or fastest flyer and that Derpy may run into things if she's not paying close attention. She also brings joy to her brief appearances on the show and just like actual bubbles, it's for fun.

This is a wonderful way to put it and I completely agree!

• 10 months later...
On 9/15/2013 at 10:08 AM, Starlight Sky said:

As many have said, cutie marks signify more than their talent. It gives insight into each pony's personality.

Derpy's clumsiness causes her good efforts to abruptly end, but she always tries again. Even though these failures can make her sad, she continues to give her best in whatever comes next. Finding happiness in all she comes across. This outlook is captured nicely in her cutie mark. Bubbles are a fleeting beauty that we enjoy as long as it lasts. Although they burst soon after birth, we're no less captivated by the next batch.

You are my hero.  What a beutiful and poetic insight.  I'm adopting this as my headcanon.