Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I used to be a stranger

One of the big things that drives our continued intrigue of the show is how many external references there are, and I imagine you all can recall your favourite right-quick.

The ones that I recall most strongly are both from season 2:

The hors d'œuvres scene from Becoming Popular in Sweet and Elite looks to be a shout-out to a somewhat similar happening in the 1971 movie about the WWII General Patton.

Pinkie Pie saying "I am just about to be brilliant!" from the episode Hearth's Warming Eve is a word-for-word quote from the 1952 musical Singin' In the Rain by the character Cosmo Brown (who in the movie is somewhat eccentric much like Pinkie Pie).

What other shout outs do you remember and love?

Edited by Blue

There sure are quite a handfull of cultural references throughout the FIM series. Here's some of my favourites:

• During Griffon the Brush Off, The chase scene between Rainbow and Pinkie adopts the same gag style used by Warner Bros. cartoon character Pepé Le Pew; they even mimicked Pepè's hop down to a tee!

• The whole "gearing up" scene in Dragonshy, is a nod to both the A-team and Charlies Angels series.

• This ones likely just a coincidence, but during Swarm of the Century, Spike is given a yellow parasprite. Which other purple dragon do we know with such a companion?

Spyro and Sparx!

Posted Image

• During Sonic Rainboom, when Rarity flies to close to the sun and her wings disintegrate, this references the story of Icarus in Greek mythology, who escaped from Crete using wings made by his father but was killed when he flew too near the sun and the wax attaching his wings melted.
Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 3

Oh and Dr. Whooves.

I don't think that was a deliberate reference - just the viewers reading too much into a pony who looks like the Tenth Doctor and happens to have an hourglass cutie mark.

This one was probably the most obvious one.

I love that scene and how closely the two scenes match up! Even the ponies' expressions are the same!

Edited by Krall

First time I've seen that video, and damn! It’s amazing how many similarities the two scenes have. I love the references that the Media DHX uses to assist in keeping an already great show relevant to the brony fanbase.

The Big Lebowski main protagonists at the bowling alley in The Cutie Pox

Benny Hill-like music during chasing scenes in The Ticket Master and A Bird in the Hoof

Art of the Dress is totally based on a Stephen Sondheim work

• Brohoof 1

Time for some more cultural references.

• In The Sonic Rainboom, the renowned song 'Swan lake', is played during Rarity and Rainbow Dashes Flight show.
  • In Boast Busters,
    between Snips and Snails is a Pinkie and the Brain reference.
  • In Call of the Cutie, The tenis player resembles the former world no.1 tenis player Andre Agassi back when he had a mullet.
  • I didn't notice this one till recently. In Fall Weathered Friends, Twilights racing number is 42, and Rainbow Dash cracks jokes about the book 'The Egghead's Guide to Running'. Conclusion? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.
Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't catch the Hitchhiker's Guide or Singing in the Rain references, and I've never seen Patton. I love the shows references. One of my favorites was this scene.

http-~~-//youtu.be/xoAWAdEt_Ok

It is also a reference to Merlin from Sword in the Stone.

Posted Image

I'm a big Disney fan.

Edited by Slendermane

• 1 month later...

Rainbow Dash bouncing her ball off the wall in the hospital in Read it and Weep is a reference to The Great Escape.

Yeah.

That's just awesome. I watched starwars a few days ago and I didn't notice it.

In "Dragonshy," I've read at least one source which attributes Pinkie Pie's ridiculous costume (when going to confront the dragon) as a reference to Daffy Duck in the classic "Duck Amuck" cartoon.

"The Mysterious Mare Do Well" made blatant reference to Batman: The Animated Series (aside from the masked hero in a cape): Mare Do Well's motif mimicked Danny Elfman's Batman theme; when Ponyville is holding the celebration for Mare Do Well, the crowd has several signs which illustrate Mare Do Well a la Batman from The Animated Series.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Thereisnospoon303