Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Spike's body remain that of a baby dragon forever?

MallaJong1

It could be possible that Spike's long-term adult form would be different from the greed-based form in Secret of My Excess. That would only be after the show's time setting though. He wouldn't eternally be a baby, but no character would noticeably age during the show's run.

• 6 months later...

Certainly not. Spike, being a dragon, has a presumed extended lifespan far longer than normal ponies. This is why Twilight is a young adult and he's still a baby, even though she hatched him back when she was a filly. He'll grow big eventually naturally.

I think would turn outdifferent then the other dragons due to how has been raised and he can also
love,  yes at times he is selfish which
sometimes “kids” his age might be or dragons but he always does or tries to do
his best for others.  On growing,  dragons do age different so I don’t think we
will him get bigger in the show but its nice to think as he does grow he won’t
be like the other dragons just the side part is if he does age slower,  most of the Ponies he loves will have passed
on…..save maybe Twilight if she Stays a Alicorn.

There are a few good fanfics
on Spike and this subject.

Well, he's already grown since he was first hatched... although I suppose that could still be hoard growth, assuming he has a few things that belong specifically to him and not shared with Twilight. But I get more the impression he's grown to that size just by normal eating, and will continue to do so.

Actually, I kind of worry that he's a bit malnourished since he seems to be starving for gems all the time. Presumably those are part of a dragon's nutritional needs (probably necessary for growing super hard, fire proof scales), so it's kind of hard to count it as greed if he's just hungry. Although just like ponies/humans, overeating is bad too (such as when he found that dragon's hoard in the owl episode).

Also, in the dragon migration episode, one of the others says that his wings haven't even grown in yet. So apparently it's normal for dragons to be wingless when first hatched, and he will get them eventually. But he didn't have wings when he grew from hoarding, so that's a point toward there being two different modes of growth for dragons.

And re: that sad video... I don't see any reason for him to leave Twilight when he gets big, unless food becomes a major issue. I suppose he'll need to take his 100 year naps elsewhere due to the smoke, but he'd be asleep anyway so that's no tragedy to miss out on. This is one of the main reasons I've always wanted alicorn Twilight, so they can be together for thousands of years. Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and adult Spike would make an awesome team. Much better future than dead mane 6, Spike off living alone with ponies only a distant childhood memory, and Celestia and Luna with only eachother to depend on.

My head cannon is that dragons will naturally grow up like any other animal, it's just that hoarding speeds it up, and I guess makes a dragon more like this:

Green_dragon_s1e24.png

as oppoused to the cute, wubbable dragon Spike is. I always thought that Spike and those dragons he met in Dragon Quest are the same age. It's just that they spend most of their time doing dragon things, as oppoused to Spike, who bakes cookies. And becuase there are always other dragons to compete with, and because the stuff they've been taught to hoard is much rarer than the stuff Spike was hoarding in Secret of My Excess, they won't grow out of control like Spike did.

Spike's maturation is perfectly fine, and he won't be stuck as baby-lookin' fellar forever. He just won't look as badass as regular dragons.

Spike has time to grow up from his usual baby dragon self. Everyone grows up at a certain time in life, so I'm pretty sure Spike will grow as nature intended him to grow. Spike will just have to wait until his body lets him mature over time.

One thing I'm confused about is that he's still referred to as a "baby dragon", when clearly in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" during the Twi flashback, he is clearly much, much younger. It is confusing to be honest, alongside the fact dragons grow faster by greed.

From what I gather Spike is not an ordinary dragon (maybe Twilight's powerful magic influenced him somehow she did accidently turn him into a huge dinosaur thingie that looked nothing like the one in Secret of My Excess).

He can grow when he becomes greedy but he's not growing older just bigger. I mean he's at the same age as those teenage dragons but he could grow to a size that dwarfs all the dragons we've seen so far. And if it's an on/off switch then it's not the same kind of growing up we expect. And he did grow older since he was just a baby so it's not the same thing.

Baby-Spike-spike-the-dragon-23707681-633

Everyone_is_amused_S1E5_cropped.png

Edited by poniesforfun