Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Spike's body remain that of a baby dragon forever?

MallaJong1

It seems Spike has accepted himself as a fellow citizen of pony society, and will therefore not subject himself to selfish tendencies that border on the obsessive, which will not allow him to grow physically. So does that mean Spike will live in that of a baby dragon forever?

He has to grow. But then again they never say how long it takes for a dragon to grow so... It might be a very long time.

realy in my opinion he will never grow, change will lead to bad cauzes... and take exaple the very old simpsons.. none of them changed and there is over 600 episodes besides the odd snowball 1-6 but that is minor maybe see them once and a while things

It seems Spike has accepted himself as a fellow citizen of pony society, and will therefore not subject himself to selfish tendencies that border on the obsessive, which will not allow him to grow physically. So does that mean Spike will live in that of a baby dragon forever?

Well naturally everything grows, it seems that selfishness just forced the growth. We haven't seen an example of a nicer dragon besides Spike, but perhaps we will see one in future episodes.

Dragons live for thousands of years so they probably age at a VERY slow rate. So Spike will probably remain a baby dragon for another 50 Equestrian years.

I've always had this headcanon that Spike will evolve into a completely different dragon. He might be the first dragon to live with the positive ideals of a pony. Imagine him evolving with the influence of generosity instead of greed. He could turn into the very first dragon of his kind.

• Brohoof 6

Since Dragons live so long, i would think that the teenage dragon are about 150,170,180, so on. So if when a dragon is in his teens thats when he is forced to be greedy I would say spike has about 125 years untill be becomes a problem. Right now i think spike is about 15 in dragon years.

I've always had this headcanon that Spike will evolve into a completely different dragon. He might be the first dragon to live with the positive ideals of a pony. Imagine him evolving with the influence of generosity instead of greed. He could turn into the very first dragon of his kind.

Possible.

Breeding of foxes for coats was attempted in Russia at some point in time, and the breeder thought he might make a little experiment: so he got a thick glove and put his hand with it on into each one of the cages where the foxes were held. Every one that reacted by growling and curling away he left alone. Every one that exhibited curiosity and sniffed at the glove, he took into a separate area for separate breeding. The next generation of foxes that came out of the original wild batch were just more of the same, but the ones that grew out of the curious foxes had significantly darker coats, spots, and behaviours that more closely resembled dogs; even barking when the experimenter was present. The evolutionary blink-of-an-eye brought forth an entirely new breed of foxes.

Why shouldn't dragons be considered different in this regard?

• Brohoof 1

I just think that with most shows, some characters should remain ageless. (Look at Simpsons and Family Guy!)

I think that if characters grew up, it wouldn't be as good maybe? I dunno.

He has to grow. But then again they never say how long it takes for a dragon to grow so... It might be a very long time.

In common fantasy (most namely D&D), dragons are beings of immense lifespans and incredibly slow growth. I'm going to compare Spike to a D&D4E red dragon (yes, the colors may not match, but both beings breathe fire*); below are some basic statistics from the D&D4E draconomicon. ("Body length" refers to the distance occupied from the tip of its head to the tip of its tail when it's fully stretched out. Their combat area is much smaller due to the fact that it only consists of the dragon's torso; its head and tail move around too much to locate in a tabletop setting.)

Wyrmling: 0-8 yrs, 18ft body length, occupies a 5x5 foot combat area

Young: 8-200 yrs, 33-ft body length, occupies a 10x10 foot combat area

Adult: 200-950 yrs, 33+ft body length, occupies a 10x10 foot combat area

Elder: 950-1900 yrs, 58ft body length, occupies a 15x15 foot combat area

Ancient: 1900-2500 yrs, 88ft body length, occupies a 20x20 foot combat area

Now, we know that Spike was born as a result of Twilight's entrance exam when she was a little filly. We can assume he's seen at least 5-10 years of growth since then.

This means, assuming MLP uses dragons similar to D&D, that Spike will soon become too heavy and large for him to ride on Twilight's back anymore. Theoretically, he already should be.

However, this also means that Spike will never reach adulthood, let alone the status of the dragon which Fluttershy talked down, any time within our lifetime (assuming we still haven't unlocked the secret to immortality...which top men are working on as I type).

*Believe it or not, very few D&D dragons actually breathe fire. Primarily only red dragons do.

Maybe not forever, but I am pretty sure he will remain the size he is right now until the show ends.

If selfishness made him grow, would generosity make him shirk?

.. No idea, just throwing that out there. Anyway, I think it would sort of ruin spike's character a little. He became a lot less "well-spoken" when he was growing if you know what I mean. He'll probably be a baby dragon for the whole S3 though. Unless of course they decide to have the last episode where an antagonist is defeated and everypony goes their separate ways, including spike.

Yeah, I don't really know.

(edited)

Of course Spike will grow, Ponies don't stay as fillies forever, at least, i'm pretty sure that is the case

ON a more serious note, dragons are known for slow, but incredible growths in most fantasies. Heck, Pokemon is the easiest example, A Dratini becomes a Dragonair at a time when most other Pokemon are evolved fully, and then long after every other Pokemon is in a fully grown state, Dragonair becomes a Dragonite after it's long journey from childhood

Edited by weegeez

This is probably the most bittersweet theme in the show, and Hasbro will never touch it with a ten foot pole. But, if you think about it, it is inevitable...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgpy5j2Ejo

Not that video again, I am not that strong.

Anyway, like my brethren said, he will grow up slowly. Dragons can live for thousands of years.

IMO, Spike's grown-up form we saw in Secret of My Excess is not his ultimate one, nor he will remain as a baby dragon forever (a concept that I find really absurd). I think the greed based growth spurt we saw in that episode was treated pretty much as a some kind of mutation, something that was not natural. I think Spike will grow normally pretty soon.

I would like to see Spike get to at least grown Pony-size before the show ends. Sometimes I feel that they treat him like a baby too much and a Mini-Non-Greedy-Growth Spurt should gain him some respect.

That sounds neat. I actually have an episode idea revolving Spike growing up a little and having to face that now that he is bigger more ponies will see him as a threat.

(edited)

Well, in D&D Dragons can change their forms at will, so I think that even if he were to become a fully grown dragon naturally, they would come up with a story mechanic so he'd be able to control his size.

ie. He might only revert to his full size if there's an emergency.

Edited by SBaby

Well, in D&D Dragons can change their forms at will, so I think that even if he were to become a fully grown dragon naturally, they would come up with a story mechanic so he'd be able to control his size.

ie. He might only revert to his full size if there's an emergency.

I can imagine a transformation process in times of emergency. Spike could become the next HULK.

(edited)

I can imagine a transformation process in times of emergency. Spike could become the next HULK.

It's still sort of a double edged sword though. If that happened to Spike, the other main characters would have to come into some sort of power also, in order to balance the equation.

Edited by SBaby