Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Suggestion] Brohoof Profile levels

Ethan Pow

(edited)

I noticed something when I was looking at mine and friend's profiles. Its that once you get 25 or more brohoofs the rank for that is at excellent. I have a Suggestion to add more ranks.

1-10: neutral

11-29: Noticed

30-49: Bropproved

50-99: Respected

100-249: Trotting Honor

250-749: Ponyful

750-999: Brotastic

1000-1999: Amazing Hooves

2000-2999: Silver Hoof

3000-4999: Golden Hoof

5000+: Royal Hooves

Does this sound like a good idea?

brohoofed by Fald0, I feel honored :D

Edited by Ethan Pow
  • Brohoof 12

(edited)

I don't know. I really do like the current system.

I think that we should not get too caught up with titles and things like that. One of the reasons that I felt so welcome in this community when I 1st joined was that there were not a ton of fancy titles and things. Everyone was equally awesome. Even the badges that we have now are actually quite subtle.

Your proposal is pretty nifty, but I'm not sure that we need something like it here.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 10

(edited)

It's only seen when clicking on profiles and I would imagine that's not too often, so it's an addition that would go unnoticed or lead to begging as D-Walker said.

We want our brohoofs to be legit. 2 legit 2 quit. *MC Hammer dances out of topic*

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 10

It's a good idea, but if the rank was visible and prestigious-looking, then some ponies will be begging for brohoof :/

The current system is fine as it is

My only argument for that is that people are already begging for brohoofs as it is. For example, a few months ago the badges were non-existent and a few people complained about how the "Advanced Member" title was getting a little old. Eventually we did make up new rank based on how many posts you've made.

Even though the brohoof "titles" are fine as it is, I feel that it is a bit generic. When you acquire a certain amount of brohoofs, it changes to "excellent" and quite a few people already have that. To be frank, it has to get quite boring seeing "excellent" all the time plastered on just about every profile.

Food for thought.

• Brohoof 4

It's a good idea, but if the rank was visible and prestigious-looking, then some ponies will be begging for brohoof :/

The current system is fine as it is

I doubt it would be a major problem as it would only show in the profile, there are those that get brohoofs all the time because they post things many bronies can agree with.

Begging would just be just a offense in my opinion and would be handled well by the staff I believe.

• Brohoof 4

I doubt it would be a major problem as it would only show in the profile, there are those that get brohoofs all the time because they post things many bronies can agree with.

Begging would just be just a offense in my opinion and would be handled well by the staff I believe.

It MIGHT create a bit of tension for a little while, but we arrive to the point where this is essentially a scenario with members that have the squirrel badge find it hard to communicate with members of the brony badge. It's just a title, but in that case, we should probably make things a bit more appealing to look at.

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I think I'd be more inclined to just remove the subtitles entirely, leaving the counter all by its lonesome self.

• Brohoof 5

It MIGHT create a bit of tension for a little while, but we arrive to the point where this is essentially a scenario with members that have the squirrel badge find it hard to communicate with members of the brony badge. It's just a title, but in that case, we should probably make things a bit more appealing to look at.

Yes, I agree, that's with any new feature or add-on to forums, games or devices... they might get abused but people will move on and the system will be good. I know this directly from experience as well from being a staff member or normal member of games and sites.

Personally, I think I'd be more inclined to just remove the subtitles entirely, leaving the counter all by its lonesome self.

That would work as well, but being inside the profile it shouldn't be that much of a issue to add more levels.

• Brohoof 1

My only argument for that is that people are already begging for brohoofs as it is. For example, a few months ago the badges were non-existent and a few people complained about how the "Advanced Member" title was getting a little old. Eventually we did make up new rank based on how many posts you've made.

Even though the brohoof "titles" are fine as it is, I feel that it is a bit generic. When you acquire a certain amount of brohoofs, it changes to "excellent" and quite a few people already have that. To be frank, it has to get quite boring seeing "excellent" all the time plastered on just about every profile.

Food for thought.

The post count as itself was a straight indication on how active are you in the forum, while the brohooves are not.

It would be okay if everyone in this forum have the same idea what to brohoof and what not to smack, giving the brohooves number a quality of it's own. But sadly a good portion of us would rather brohoof posts that was funny and/or made by a famous member, rather than brohoofing posts that are actually insightful.

Another thing is, in post badges we could simply say those who got huge badges are spammers very enthusiast posters. But in brohooves badge, how can we tell whether someone is simply funny or freakin genius, or just have a lot of friends to brohoof everything he said? We can't.

• Brohoof 4

It's a very cool idea, however, giving the factor of ranks to brohoofs might cause problems of some kind. Just having them be a number and that's it seems to be working fine.

Eh, I can go either way I suppose.

• Brohoof 2

Another thing is, in post badges we could simply say those who got huge badges are spammers very enthusiast posters. But in brohooves badge, how can we tell whether someone is simply funny or freakin genius, or just have a lot of friends to brohoof everything he said? We can't.

You're right, but honestly? The way I see it, people are inclined to brohoof things by the more well-known people (mods included) anyway. The brohoof badge system isn't exactly necessary, but would be nice to have for some people.

• Brohoof 3

You're right, but honestly? The way I see it, people are inclined to brohoof things by the more well-known people (mods included) anyway.

This is pretty much why I'm not too enthusiastic about it. Brohoofs are given so inconsistently that I don't really think they should contribute to anything at all. To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine with removing the ability to see other people's reputation levels entirely.

• Brohoof 4

It's an interesting idea, for sure. I think it's a pretty fun add-on to the existing brohoof titles, but on a practical note, it's likely brohoof titles would still be overshadowed by the post badges we already use. Not only because they're more prevalently seen around the site, but also due to the abundance of brohoofs. Reading through this thread, I've already counted a lot of them, and they seem more common than 'likes' on other forums (not that there's anything wrong with that). With brohoofs being so common, it makes me wonder how long the interest in the new titles would last.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I would like to note that the 'Good' then 'Excellent' words on profiles below your brohoofs number, could definitely have more variety. Even if we don't take on this particular idea, I feel like just adding a few more words to that list, so that it doesn't look incomplete by only advancing once by switching from 'Good' to 'Excellent', and then stay there forever, would be a really good idea. I doubt it would create any problems, because unlike ranks that show up in posts, no one really cares that much about that little box.

For example 'Good > Great > Excellent > Stupendous > Awesomerific > Scootastic > Taralicious'.

Okay maybe not those exactly, but you get the idea. </3

Basically the point is those words feel incomplete, and I think we should either not have them at all, and just have the brohoof number in that green profile box alone, or add more words across a wider range of brohoof levels, so that it serves more of a purpose.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 3

Personally, I find that it's not how many brohooves that a post happens to obtain that constitutes its merrit, but rather who happens to brohoof a particular post.

Regardless, I feel as though brohooves work well as an indication of agreement, humour, wit, commendation, or even of consolation. But as an indication of rank or a form of high standing? Given the features varying applications, I feel as though it would be a little out of place.

• Brohoof 3

Meh. I'm not sure about this, I don't really consider quantity of brohooves that important. It might be a bit interesting, but I don't think it is needed.

You are talking about the post counter? Don't even think about that! :blink: This post will make me butterfly and I'm quite happy about it. (Yes, I don't need much :lol: )

Actually, I realised that pretty much everypony has the "excellent" rating just yesterday. It's not that excellent when everypony has it. I think the scale should be enwidthtened (is that even a word?) In other words, I second the OP.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I do not think adding in a more detailed hoof rank system would harm us. I trust the community not to beg for likes without going and getting engaged or throwing a wad of cash our way. A brohoof expresses that we like, and thus, AGREE with. We can hoof anything, and maybe it'll give people like *cough*Ember*cough* a reason to make better posts instead of just moar.

THIS is an example of what a lot of us hoof. It made me chuckle, gerdurmit!

I don't care much for numbers and ranks. But I'm pretty sure a fair amount of people like to see numbers go up and see pretty pictures and words.

I agree it would be nice but I think the importance of it being very low and the possibility of the negativity that could arise from that outweighs it just being "nice".