Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is no one ever happy?

Shiki

I'm always checking peoples' status on here, simply because there's that little section for the latest ones posted on the front page, and I'm always seeing things about people being so upset over something really rather silly. I won't name any names, because that would be rude, but still, you probably see them too.

I'm curious, why do you think people are always so upset over things? I, for one, am happy every day, and whenever I tell people about my life and history, they always seem really sorry for me. Now, I won't go telling you about that, because that's not important, and I'm not looking for attention, so just, why is it, that the smallest things seem to make people so overwhelmingly unhappy? There's really nothing to be sad about. Or mad. I just don't understand it.

• Brohoof 6

There are things that are called "bad things". They happen all the time. And when they happen, they might make someone sad. When someone is sad, they might make a status saying why they're sad. This way the people making the statuses can have people read them, comfort them, give advice, etc.

Bonus idea to try at home: want to make people more happy? Respond to their status and comfort them. Ask them what's wrong. Try to give them advice to improve their situation. Some kind words can go a long way to make people "happy all the time" like you.

That's really the only answer :wacko:

Edited by Ashbad
  • Brohoof 2

Well my dear friend, I think most people would rather be doing other things than posting online, and because they're posting online rather than doing those other things I think that there is a tendency for more unhappiness and boredom than happiness and excitement.

When people are happy, they usually don't go skipping off to their statuses and type "Good day today :D :D:D" - although you do see quite a few "good morning"s if you have the strength to wake up early to check the forums. Wheras when people are sad, they'll usually try to draw some attention towards themselves for comfort, and when they're angry, they'll do the same. You can easily tell when someone is cheerful in real life by the look and/or greeting they will give you, but emotions are much harder to display on the internet. Most of the "happier" people are probably lurking on a thread with a smile on their face or away from the forums doing what it is that makes them happy. If you actually went and PMed a majority of the currently online users, I'm sure that most of them would have a cordial attitude. :)

Edited by Aureitas d'Aequitate
  • Brohoof 6

Well my dear friend, I think most people would rather be doing other things than posting online, and because they're posting online rather than doing those other things I think that there is a tendency for more unhappiness and boredom than happiness and excitement.

People don't like sitting in front of a computer all day, where an immeasurable amount of information and entertainment sits, waiting for people to view it? That's silly! Sitting in front of a computer all day is the only thing I really want to do.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 8

To me, it's a lot like how our fandom works. The vast majority of bronies *good moods*, you don't hear about, because people are either fine, or being happy elsewhere in posts, or off-site. But what you do hear about a lot is the minority of bronies who stick out *sad/bad moods* because people then post about it, seeking advice, a way to vent off steam, or simply acknowledgement. So I personally don't see it as 'no one is ever happy', I see it as 'that's what sticks out the most, so it seems like it's something that happens most of the time, when it actually doesn't.'

• Brohoof 2

Sadly, the world is not like the world of FiM, there is rarely any happiness, the economy is down, its effects have been felt by all of us, but you must realize, some of us here on the forums have family problems, some of us deal with depression, isolation, etc.

So not all status updates are supposed to be happy.

I don't know, I'm almost always happy. Even if something bad has happened, I look on the bright side. Most of the time, bad things that happen to me are really petty and not worth getting upset over. But I think people are more likely to make a status if they're sad rather than happy because letting it out makes them feel better.

• Brohoof 1

Nah but really, people like to complain on the internet, that's just how it is. :P I myself tend to be happy enough most of the time, so not everyone is like that(although I suppose I can be sometimes ^_^).
  • Brohoof 1

It's rather simple. People desire attention, so they take something that should not such a big deal and blow it out of proportion to make it seem like a really big deal to be crushed about. Then everyone comforts them, temporarily quenching a thirst for attention that is insatiable.

Basically it's because it's like mini Facebook.

• Brohoof 2

Posting about their feeling bad helps them vent. I post about something bad that I'm upset about when I need to vent. Helps me feel better.

But this is just how I see it.

I'm happy everyday! I just don't usually express my emotions via statuses. Plus, people usually talk when something it's wrong. Nopony is gonna make a status saying: " I'm feeling OK. :)"

Just freein' pain from our chest you know? rough day, go and make others feel bad by telling them

Na'h, I don't think I've ever made a status about me being depressed, or sad, mostly cause I'm a pretty joyful person myself, but others got problems, a few re-assuring compliments and a helping hand are always good :3

Because statuses are probably the best place to vent, no matter what SOMEONE is going to see it, even if they don't respond, and that gives a sort of relief knowing its out there.

This seems like an interesting topic for discussion. But it's getting really late here so I'll give my 2 cents now and maybe elaborate tomorrow.

I'm one of those people that are (pretty much) always happy. That's mostly because there isn't a whole bunch of bad stuff happening in my life. But for those people that do have to put up with bad things on a daily basis, you have to make them feel happy yourself (when I say you I mean you in general). Comfort them, maybe even make a joke (a funny one, not a joke about them).

We as bronies need to spread the love and happiness to all, especially our fellow bronies. :D

Anyway, good night everyone. See you all tomorrow. :)

Edited by Demiurge
  • Brohoof 1

Because according to recent studies, computer chips emit a frequency similar to that created inside our brain when a feeling of unhappiness is apparent. Sometimes functional computer chips can interfere with the frequencies in our minds, forcing us uncontrollably into being upset.

It makes sense to me that people mention their sadness more than their happiness. When one's sad, one likely feels a need to let out some steam and may feel better once other people have listened to him/her. Whereas with happiness, no such assistance is needed.

People tend to concentrate on the negative side of things and part of them seem to express their feelings so other people will listen. I completely understand and support the latter (as long as you know the people are friends who will listen, give advice, and/or put themselves in your shoes), though I think people can concentrate too much on negative things.

That's just my stance on it.

I guess it's one of the faster ways to get someone's feelings out. Also since they probably had a good experience with the community already, it might help them like a therapy. Leaving the bad things there while being happier in other places :)

If it helps the ones reading it? maybe not, but ok, it could :P

Though a bit of happy thoughts on the front page status list can't hurt I guess

and as for my own status. I keep plenty of things for myself, to see what it does to me, but my public side usually sets loose, crazy, weird, complex or personal humour on the go :lol:

Or just an update...