Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Retro/Nostalgic Game Thread

Plasmastorm X-15

This doesn't look like Art. Moving it to media discussion.

Also a lot of old games end up being fixed to work on newer machines by GoodOldGames.

Only PC games because console games are derp.

Although it's quite modern, I wish more people new of Spore.

And whatever happened to classic platform gaming, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2, or Super Mario Bros 3?

The first two pokémon, mega man, ecc.

Oh, how nostalgic... sigh...

I've only ever touched upon Spore. I think. I can't remember.

As for all the classic platformers, those compilation games are quite useful. Like the 'Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection' game I have.

Also a lot of old games end up being fixed to work on newer machines by GoodOldGames.

Oh, right, thanks!

When the day comes that my PC decides that it CAN load a simple webpage, I can finally begin PC gaming.

I may be exaggerating, but I find talking to my computer alleviates the stress of getting it running, haha.

The Wild Arms series. I've only played 1 and 2 but OMG it gets overshadowed by all the big RPGs like Final Fantasy and Legend of Dragoon but Wild Arms 2 is an amazing game. If it weren't for it's translation being really wonky it would be the perfect game imo.

Also Baten Kaitos series. I know a lot of people look at card-based battle systems and automatically don't wanna play it but those games really do need mention in these types of discussions. Their battle systems are fluid (Though Origins is considerably more efficient than the first Baten Kaitos but people have varying opinions on that) and there's a shit ton of sidequests to do aside from the already 40 hour main quest. Also, music. Baten Kaitos has the best music in all of RPG-dom.

I mean, seriously, the following video is just the very first boss theme (it reoccurs a few times later though) and they only get better throughout the game. Not to mention the final boss theme which is absolutely orgasmic.

Oh also, I've only played Timesplitters: Future Perfect but I absolutely love that game. I need to get the first two. :(

Edited by Raronoopa

I like playing Granturismo 1.

I think I'd be into GT more if I wasn't SO INCREDIBLY BAD at racing. I just can't seem to time drifting right in any game. I end up going onto the grassy parts and spinning pointlessly.

I loved playing the old sierra space quest games, as well as Star Control II the Ur-Quan masters that game is great.

Star Control 2 actually looks like I could run it. Very nice retro- but not too retro- feel to it. I may have to check Steam, looks good.

The Wild Arms series. I've only played 1 and 2 but OMG it gets overshadowed by all the big RPGs like Final Fantasy and Legend of Dragoon but Wild Arms 2 is an amazing game. If it weren't for it's translation being really wonky it would be the perfect game imo.

Also Baten Kaitos series. I know a lot of people look at card-based battle systems and automatically don't wanna play it but those games really do need mention in these types of discussions. Their battle systems are fluid (Though Origins is considerably more efficient than the first Baten Kaitos but people have varying opinions on that) and there's a shit ton of sidequests to do aside from the already 40 hour main quest. Also, music. Baten Kaitos has the best music in all of RPG-dom.

I mean, seriously, the following video is just the very first boss theme (it reoccurs a few times later though) and they only get better throughout the game. Not to mention the final boss theme which is absolutely orgasmic.

http-~~-//www.youtube.c...h?v=qDoBcqdPx-Y

Oh also, I've only played Timesplitters: Future Perfect but I absolutely love that game. I need to get the first two. :(

Dat music. I could die over and over again to that all day.

Never got into Final Fantasy, and I figure it's too far along now to start.

A forty hour main quest and sides sounds tasty, but yeah, it's understandable if people are deterred from it being card-based, I probably would be.

Also. Yes. You do. Harry Tipper is best hippy secret agent. :lol:

I think I'd be into GT more if I wasn't SO INCREDIBLY BAD at racing. I just can't seem to time drifting right in any game. I end up going onto the grassy parts and spinning pointlessly.

You don't have to drift to race in Granturismo, you just don't use the brakes and you crash :P

Star Control 2 actually looks like I could run it. Very nice retro- but not too retro- feel to it. I may have to check Steam, looks good.

Dat music. I could die over and over again to that all day.

Never got into Final Fantasy, and I figure it's too far along now to start.

A forty hour main quest and sides sounds tasty, but yeah, it's understandable if people are deterred from it being card-based, I probably would be.

Also. Yes. You do. Harry Tipper is best hippy secret agent. :lol:

The Final Fantasy series isn't connected by story so you can start with any one of them and it wouldn't hurt you. Honestly most of the Final Fantasy games are different in almost every aspect except a few connecting features like same enemies with different designs and a few references to other games or something. For the most part the games are all stand-alone so you can start with any of them.

The Final Fantasy series isn't connected by story so you can start with any one of them and it wouldn't hurt you. Honestly most of the Final Fantasy games are different in almost every aspect except a few connecting features like same enemies with different designs and a few references to other games or something. For the most part the games are all stand-alone so you can start with any of them.

Ah, I thought all the characters had, like, really far developed relationships with one another. I swear I saw some fan music for a couple in the game that were in a relationship. I don't know much about the series though. And I tend to not be able to leave a series unfinished. If I get one I'd have to get the other...twenty-something?

There's 14 main games and a bunch of side games. Some are connected to the main games while others aren't so much.

FFI-FFIII stand by themselves. FFIV has a sequel called The After Years, FFV and FFVI are standalone, FFVII has a movie sequel and also a TPS sequel called Dirge of Cerberus (FFVII is the most popular FF game by far), FFVIII and FFIX are standalone, FFX has a sequel called FFX-2, FFXI is an online MMO, FFXII has a sequel on DS called Revenant Wings and FFXIII has a sequel that just came out called FFXIII-2 and finally FFXIV is an MMO like FFXI is.

There's also a bunch of side games such as the Crystal Chronicles spin-off series which has four games in it: Crystal Chronicles, Echoes of Time, Ring of Fate and The Crystal Bearers.

There is another that's been in production for six years or so called Final Fantasy Versus XIII and also Final Fantasy Type Zero (Dunno if Type Zero is out yet but Versus is not)

Even though Versus XIII has a XIII in it's name it's not connected to FFXIII or FFXIII-2 at all.

There's also the Chocobo Dungeon games which are Roguelikes/Dungeon Crawlers.

Except for the few that share the same number most of the games are not connected at all story-wise. Even the Crystal Chronicles games are not connected for the most part, they are just set in the same world. (Something the other FF games don't have in common)

Every single one uses a different battle system though so it's never the same twice. (Though sometimes similar)

At least that's how it is in FFVI and up. Before that they all had relatively the same battle systems.

There's also the fighting game spin-off Dissidia; Final Fantasy and it's sequel.

There's probably even more I've missed somewhere in there but the series is expansive enough that it'll be hellish to try to play them all but you don't need to play them all to understand everything. There are some references to other games though, especially in the remakes of the older games (They've remade FFI, II, IV, V and VI for GBA and FFIII and FFIV for DS)

Final Fantasy IX was meant to be a gigantic tribute to the past games in the series. If you've played at least a few of the games before it you'll notice a lot of these references but the game can be played as it's own since it's got an original storyline and everything and a very good, and somewhat unique, ability system. (FFIX is my personal favorite FF)

There's 14 main games and a bunch of side games. Some are connected to the main games while others aren't so much.

FFI-FFIII stand by themselves. FFIV has a sequel called The After Years, FFV and FFVI are standalone, FFVII has a movie sequel and also a TPS sequel called Dirge of Cerberus (FFVII is the most popular FF game by far), FFVIII and FFIX are standalone, FFX has a sequel called FFX-2, FFXI is an online MMO, FFXII has a sequel on DS called Revenant Wings and FFXIII has a sequel that just came out called FFXIII-2 and finally FFXIV is an MMO like FFXI is.

There's also a bunch of side games such as the Crystal Chronicles spin-off series which has four games in it: Crystal Chronicles, Echoes of Time, Ring of Fate and The Crystal Bearers.

There is another that's been in production for six years or so called Final Fantasy Versus XIII and also Final Fantasy Type Zero (Dunno if Type Zero is out yet but Versus is not)

Even though Versus XIII has a XIII in it's name it's not connected to FFXIII or FFXIII-2 at all.

There's also the Chocobo Dungeon games which are Roguelikes/Dungeon Crawlers.

Except for the few that share the same number most of the games are not connected at all story-wise. Even the Crystal Chronicles games are not connected for the most part, they are just set in the same world. (Something the other FF games don't have in common)

Every single one uses a different battle system though so it's never the same twice. (Though sometimes similar)

At least that's how it is in FFVI and up. Before that they all had relatively the same battle systems.

There's also the fighting game spin-off Dissidia; Final Fantasy and it's sequel.

There's probably even more I've missed somewhere in there but the series is expansive enough that it'll be hellish to try to play them all but you don't need to play them all to understand everything. There are some references to other games though, especially in the remakes of the older games (They've remade FFI, II, IV, V and VI for GBA and FFIII and FFIV for DS)

Final Fantasy IX was meant to be a gigantic tribute to the past games in the series. If you've played at least a few of the games before it you'll notice a lot of these references but the game can be played as it's own since it's got an original storyline and everything and a very good, and somewhat unique, ability system. (FFIX is my personal favorite FF)

That. Is. A lot. I had no idea they were so far branched out, touching every corner of the gaming world.

*Sigh*, I'm going to end up renting all of these. Well, we'll see. I do like deep stories, and if each one is independent, but still connected... *brainsplosion* That is a lot to absorb.

Transformers 2004 PS2 game, too much fun, but underrated!

Lost the damn disc. :(

• Brohoof 1

That. Is. A lot. I had no idea they were so far branched out, touching every corner of the gaming world.

*Sigh*, I'm going to end up renting all of these. Well, we'll see. I do like deep stories, and if each one is independent, but still connected... *brainsplosion* That is a lot to absorb.

Lost the damn disc. :(

lol Don't worry, if you play one game look up if it has any sequels. If it doesn't then it's not connected in any way except cameos and references. They are all placed in different worlds, not a single one is in the same world as another unless they are specifically connected by story. (Crystal Chronicles is hte only exception to this, they are not connected by story but they are in the same world)

lol Don't worry, if you play one game look up if it has any sequels. If it doesn't then it's not connected in any way except cameos and references. They are all placed in different worlds, not a single one is in the same world as another unless they are specifically connected by story. (Crystal Chronicles is hte only exception to this, they are not connected by story but they are in the same world)

I might try FF 1 first then, to get a general feel. Then I'll see where it takes me.

And now I know that the producers of the game will take over the world with the amount of content they've produced.

There's a reason Square Enix is as big as they are. xD

Keep in mind that playing one Final Fantasy game won't necessarily mean you won't like the rest of the series. Like I said: They are all very different in world, story and gameplay so jump around a little after you try FFI. Play FFIV or VI after that and maybe FFVIII or FFIX then FFX or FFXII if you can.

Jump around to each of the eras since it changes very drastically throughout so just because you don't like one doesn't mean you won't like another.

Also, on a side note: The Kingdom Hearts series uses Final Fantasy characters (But they don't connect to their actual FF storylines so you could consider them non-canon in FF but canon in KH) as well as Disney.

There's a reason Square Enix is as big as they are. xD

Keep in mind that playing one Final Fantasy game won't necessarily mean you won't like the rest of the series. Like I said: They are all very different in world, story and gameplay so jump around a little after you try FFI. Play FFIV or VI after that and maybe FFVIII or FFIX then FFX or FFXII if you can.

Jump around to each of the eras since it changes very drastically throughout so just because you don't like one doesn't mean you won't like another.

Also, on a side note: The Kingdom Hearts series uses Final Fantasy characters (But they don't connect to their actual FF storylines so you could consider them non-canon in FF but canon in KH) as well as Disney.

Yeah, I occasionally mix up Kingdom Hearts and FF. When my friend described part of it as: "Whinny the Pooh needs parts of a map to find a keyblade..." or something along those lines, I burst into laughter. You know its good when Whinny the Pooh is a bad-ass.

It might be sometime before I manage to play any of them, but they're on the renting list.

Oh, yeah! I totally forgot to mention "The Neverhood"! That game was awesome. They should re-release it. It's so unique because of the claymation and the humour is just right up my alley. Anyone else played it?

So, many gamers must have that one game that they wish more people knew of, right?

There has to be at least one game in your collection which you feel could've been more popular, that more people could have enjoyed. Hopefully I can get a few responses and check out these lost masterpieces. Or, if you want to challenge a terrible review you believe a game has gotten, I'd like to hear.

Anyway, for me, the lost game series would have to be Timesplitters. Timesplitters 2 mainly. Apparently these games only exist for me and about three others. It was my first ever FPS which had brilliant gun-play, customisation and humor. The story was very gripping, and there's nothing sweeter than making it out of an exploding space station with literally a second to spare. Saying that, it did get positive reviews, so maybe there are more people with it out there.

I'm interested in hearing your tales of nostalgia too, thanks!

Me and a few friends used to play TimeSplitter 2 and 3 all the time! Like I mean we played it to death, it was at the point where we couldn't play it because we got too serious XD.

Ask for my own collection, I keep posting the same games so I'll try to get something new in the list this time. Parasite Eve and the Breath of Fire series. I talk about those too damn much, too the point where I did a lets play of one of them. Other games that I think should have had some time in the spot light would have to be Lufia 2(SNES, RPG), The Suffering(PS2, Horror survival), and Secret of Evermore(SNES, RPG).

Me and a few friends used to play TimeSplitter 2 and 3 all the time! Like I mean we played it to death, it was at the point where we couldn't play it because we got too serious XD.

Ask for my own collection, I keep posting the same games so I'll try to get something new in the list this time. Parasite Eve and the Breath of Fire series. I talk about those too damn much, too the point where I did a lets play of one of them. Other games that I think should have had some time in the spot light would have to be Lufia 2(SNES, RPG), The Suffering(PS2, Horror survival), and Secret of Evermore(SNES, RPG).

WHERE HAVE YOU PEOPLE BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

Seriously I'm surprised so many have actually heard of it, let alone played it. Shame I never got to play the multiplayer.

I think The Suffering came out when I was young, and just the sound of it scared the crap out of me. ^_^

Too bad none of us have online for PS2 cuz then we could play multiplayer right now. xD

<.< Reason number 1 to release a Timesplitters HD Collection: Online connectivity on consoles made to go online.

Hah! I would love to see you buy a "gaming" computer back in the 80s/early 90s. Back then consoles was what you needed to actually play, so you should read up on what you are actually saying before posting nonsense like that. Because pc rocks for games now, doesnt mean it was always like that!

Anyway:

So many people younger than me here, when I think of old games I think of playing android on the old spectrum, beachhead of 5.25 floppys on a black and yellow screen..Some should play some of the older games and learn what hard difficulty really means..Had a lot of joy having my cousin play ghost n goblins(he is 13),he was so ticked off :P

But many good games, still have fond memories of my amiga 500(and classis NES). Moonstone, wich was insanely brutal for its day, but at the same time a very good game. Heimdall 1&2 were brilliant.

Lost patrol, Nitro,hunter,Kef the thief,Gods,Wings

On pc I would say Day of the tentacle, Discworld.

Sure there are many I have forgot.

I still play alot of old games, just recently completed both Iron sword games for the NES again. I dont care about graphics, I want playability. I have gaming computers, ps3,wii etc, but tend to gravitate back towards the classics :lol:

Oh and timesplitters was brilliant, funny as heck :lol:

Edited by Magnus

Too bad none of us have online for PS2 cuz then we could play multiplayer right now. xD

<.< Reason number 1 to release a Timesplitters HD Collection: Online connectivity on consoles made to go online.

So many possibilities, I would probably explode if that was announced.

But wasn't the last game they developed Haze? And, aside from the back-story for me, it did poorly. :(

Hah! I would love to see you buy a "gaming" computer back in the 80s/early 90s. Back then consoles was what you needed to actually play, so you should read up on what you are actually saying before posting nonsense like that. Because pc rocks for games now, doesnt mean it was always like that!

Anyway:

So many people younger than me here, when I think of old games I think of playing android on the old spectrum, beachhead of 5.25 floppys on a black and yellow screen..Some should play some of the older games and learn what hard difficulty really means..Had a lot of joy having my cousin play ghost n goblins(he is 13),he was so ticked off :P

But many good games, still have fond memories of my amiga 500(and classis NES). Moonstone, wich was insanely brutal for its day, but at the same time a very good game. Heimdall 1&2 were brilliant.

Lost patrol, Nitro,hunter,Kef the thief,Gods,Wings

On pc I would say Day of the tentacle, Discworld.

Sure there are many I have forgot.

I still play alot of old games, just recently completed both Iron sword games for the NES again. I dont care about graphics, I want playability. I have gaming computers, ps3,wii etc, but tend to gravitate back towards the classics :lol:

Oh and timesplitters was brilliant, funny as heck :lol:

Ah! So many games I've never heard of.

The difficulty factor always looms over me with retro games. I'm terrible at the easy ones, so actual hard would be impossible for me.

I think the oldest games I've played that I can remember are the ones on Nintendo 64. And by comparison to yours I'm guessing it might as well be the Playstation 4, haha. I specifically remember the Adams Family Game. Never did complete.