Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming R.I.P Blizzard Servers

Lost

So, the new World of Warcraft expansion Mists of Pandaria just launched 32 mins ago, and everyone seems shocked to see all the game servers going down. Blizzard just don't seem to have a grasp on this whole launch thing anymore, they are already loosing subscribers left right and center, and now this, what are everyone's thoughts?

I personally think that if they don't fix the problems soon, and if panda-land ain't a strong expansion, we may be saying farewell to WoW, especially with GW2 being so strong. I've played WoW since the beta and only played GW2 for 2 days now, but i can honestly say that if MoP flops then GW2 will take its place as my MMORPG of choice.

• Brohoof 2

I think people need to calm their titts when it comes to servers collapsing on launch say.

WoW will stay strong as #1 MMORPG and i don't see any game replacing it. And from what i know, GW2 doesn't even have 2 million players?

Even Star Wars had that ammount of players but failed shortly after that.

• Brohoof 1

I liked Warcraft when it was an RTS, and have never played WoW except for a few minutes at somebody else's house. Much of Blizzards actions in the past 8 years have disappointed me. About the only thing I approved of was them finally releasing the first installment to Starcraft II; I had been waiting on that for 12 years.

I hope WoW fails and dies. Maybe they'll stop beating that dead horse for a few extra dollars and return to making some good RTS games. You know, those things that everybody loved from the beginning, without which WoW wouldn't have enjoyed such a long run? More of those, please. The MMO market is so oversaturated that you can only thatch on so many extra features to an existing title before it gets stale. World of Warcraft is beyond that point. The fluctuating subscription numbers attest to that more than anything.

• Brohoof 1

And from what i know, GW2 doesn't even have 2 million players?

http://guildwars2pc.com/2012/guild-wars-2-daily-news-2-million-sales-and-counting/

Guild wars 2 surpassed 2 million players on the 13th of September.

WoW wont die.

If anything, they would turn Free To Play to 60 with the expansions being the only paying feature.

I honestly gave up on WoW when Cataclysm came out. It just sucked and I don't plan on going back.

Cataclysm made WoW for me, i found myself bored of it after 8 years of playing, they have already stated in an interview that once project titan is released either WoW or titan will be free to play, depending on which has the most players.

I know people think that you should not complain about a game crashing on day of release, but they have more experiance in the industry than any other game developer, it seems like it happens every time they launch a game, happened with tbc, happened with WOTLK, happened with cata, happened with diablo 3 and now its happening with MoP. How have they not learnt from their mistakes?

I liked Warcraft when it was an RTS, and have never played WoW except for a few minutes at somebody else's house. Much of Blizzards actions in the past 8 years have disappointed me. About the only thing I approved of was them finally releasing the first installment to Starcraft II; I had been waiting on that for 12 years.

I hope WoW fails and dies. Maybe they'll stop beating that dead horse for a few extra dollars and return to making some good RTS games. You know, those things that everybody loved from the beginning, without which WoW wouldn't have enjoyed such a long run? More of those, please. The MMO market is so oversaturated that you can only thatch on so many extra features to an existing title before it gets stale. World of Warcraft is beyond that point. The fluctuating subscription numbers attest to that more than anything.

It could be argued that if they didn't make WoW and only focused on making RTSs that would be the "dead horse" that they were beating, SC2 is a fantastic game but we shouldn't loose sight of WoW being a massive game changer for all MMOs, i for one don't WANT it to die, i just think it will.

• Brohoof 2

Not too into WoW. I'm more concerned that they haven't fixed itemization in Diablo III yet.

Not to mention constant changes to character classes in a game that has no PvP yet and an update system that focuses more on RMAH than anything else... *sigh*

I doubt WoW is going to die. If I had money I would buy it and play it alot, but I don't so I can only play the small free part. Hopefully it wont die, and they make it free to play or something/

If i'm honest, i believe that making it free to play would open the flood gates to players like yourself who just cant afford the subscription (which is not a bad thing) but also players who will hop onto it for a bit then hop back out just as quickly, not to mention the gold sellers, the problem is bad enough as it is. People have a different mentality when playing a game that is free, if you are paying for a game then you feel obliged to play it, usually a bad thing, but you may log on at that perfect moment and in a act of boredom join up with a raid group, meet some awesome people and then become best of friends. I know this is a strange concept but you'd be surprised how many times i have seen it in action though my many years playing games.

• Brohoof 1

It could be argued that if they didn't make WoW and only focused on making RTSs that would be the "dead horse" that they were beating, SC2 is a fantastic game but we shouldn't loose sight of WoW being a massive game changer for all MMOs, i for one don't WANT it to die, i just think it will.

There's a difference between making several titles across several franchises within a specific genre, and focusing most of your resources on a single game for eight years straight.

And I didn't say they shouldn't have made WoW or let it run for as long as it has, because MMOs by nature need several years to fully flourish. The problem is the undo priority it's been given.

If i'm honest, i believe that making it free to play would open the flood gates to players like yourself who just cant afford the subscription (which is not a bad thing) but also players who will hop onto it for a bit then hop back out just as quickly, not to mention the gold sellers, the problem is bad enough as it is. People have a different mentality when playing a game that is free, if you are paying for a game then you feel obliged to play it, usually a bad thing, but you may log on at that perfect moment and in a act of boredom join up with a raid group, meet some awesome people and then become best of friends. I know this is a strange concept but you'd be surprised how many times i have seen it in action though my many years playing games.

The thing is, I love the game, I play using my sisters subscription at her house all the time. I don't do any raids, have friends or anything on that game for a few reasons. One is that I am a loner on almost any multiplayer game. Two is that I hardly ever make a character past like level 20. Those might be the only reasons... But you are right...

This is why i prefer GW2 over WoW... In WoW i felt forced to login to play and do my daily stuff so that it didn't feel like i had wasted my paid subscription. Most of the time i ended up flying in circles in one of the main cities which is absurd when you think about it. x)

GW2 gives me more control over my play time, which i honestly prefer over anything else because force play is fun, right? c_c

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Brohoof 2

so i figured that i would be able to get online now, i was mistaken. I've been queued for a little over 2 hours now, here is a picture of the queue:

post-7214-0-45878600-1348598263_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine plays WoW, and he's been cranky all day. Now i know why B)

He once tried to talk me into it. I played the game for a few hours, said "meh", and uninstalled. I'm not saying its bad or anything, but it just isnt for everyone.

Theres some things that just bug me with the game. One of them is how death means absolutely nothing. The ending of a life, the single most feared moment destined for every human, yet an average WoW player just does this face " http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png ", respawns and goes on with preety much no consequences. It just kills the gameplay for me.

• Brohoof 1

WoW is amazing. Sure MoP is based on a joke (literally) but I love the game and have been playing for three years now. No matter what happens I will be sticking by it and all you guys better lay off because next expansion is Emerald dream :D YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!

A friend of mine plays WoW, and he's been cranky all day. Now i know why B)

He once tried to talk me into it. I played the game for a few hours, said "meh", and uninstalled. I'm not saying its bad or anything, but it just isnt for everyone.

Theres some things that just bug me with the game. One of them is how death means absolutely nothing. The ending of a life, the single most feared moment destined for every human, yet an average WoW player just does this face " http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png ", respawns and goes on with preety much no consequences. It just kills the gameplay for me.

All games do that. Mw2, Tf2, WoW, Battlefield, Even old games like super mario you would lose a life then go back to the first world and get back three. Its not fair to single out WoW if all games do it.

So, the new World of Warcraft expansion Mists of Pandaria just launched 32 mins ago, and everyone seems shocked to see all the game servers going down. Blizzard just don't seem to have a grasp on this whole launch thing anymore, they are already loosing subscribers left right and center, and now this, what are everyone's thoughts?

I personally think that if they don't fix the problems soon, and if panda-land ain't a strong expansion, we may be saying farewell to WoW, especially with GW2 being so strong. I've played WoW since the beta and only played GW2 for 2 days now, but i can honestly say that if MoP flops then GW2 will take its place as my MMORPG of choice.

So far everyone is focusing on the lore which is terrible. We all wanted emerald dream and they gave us pandas and pokemon. But these new outdoor dungeouns are nice considering the last ones I played were sunwell plateau and SM

All games do that. Mw2, Tf2, WoW, Battlefield, Even old games like super mario you would lose a life then go back to the first world and get back three. Its not fair to single out WoW if all games do it.

Im singling out WoW simply because its a WoW thread, i dislike the no consequence respawn thing in all of the listed games and many more.

Its one of the reasons i like EvE Online. When you loose a ship in EvE, its lost, and very often you find yourself screaming when it blows up. It adds a huge risk to the game, and actually makes you afraid of dying, especially when its something fancy and valuable, equaling in hundreds or even thousands of real dollars.

Im singling out WoW simply because its a WoW thread, i dislike the no consequence respawn thing in all of the listed games and many more.

Its one of the reasons i like EvE Online. When you loose a ship in EvE, its lost, and very often you find yourself screaming when it blows up. It adds a huge risk to the game, and actually makes you afraid of dying, especially when its something fancy and valuable, equaling in hundreds or even thousands of real dollars.

I Play EvE, i fly a officer/complex/faction fit Loki and mainly run missions, i did run a mining/indy corp that was part of the NC before it imploded.

Gahh I can't log in either. Need. To. Check. MY AUCTIONS! Also need to level up my character....... Still level 69 and level 66..... I don't see how people get to level 85 so quickly. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

@Lost what realm do you play on? Also are you Horde or Alliance?

As you can see in the screenshot i posted, i play on Ravencrest now, i played on Grim Batol horde, but i transferred to Ravencrest Alliance.

Edited by Lost

I Play EvE, i fly a officer/complex/faction fit Loki and mainly run missions, i did run a mining/indy corp that was part of the NC before it imploded.

Ooh, awesome. My main is in PonyWaffe and i have 2 alts living in a C3. I am however slightly shocked and confused, since you are the first person i've met to actually like and play both games. As you know, EvE community enjoys spitting on WoW.

"Did you know that if a WoW player gives up WoW to start playing EvE, the average IQ in both games drops?"

No offense, its a joke :)

I'm not into World of Warcraft at all and I don't know much about it. I have played it until level 47 a long time ago but I didn't really like that you had to pay for it. (So I got Lord of the Rings Online instead which is free hayo!)

But I don't think any game will replace WoW anytime soon. It still has so many players no game of it's kind can really compete with it.

But new games are being made all the time and WoW is outdated and old. It's getting "so 2005" if you know what I mean.

Give it 2 years and I think WoW will start to suffer as it's fuel runs out.

Edited by Mr. Nibblers

Im sad, I really want to play this expansion it looks really cool. I stopped playing in cataclysm because I didn't have a guild or anyone else to play with and dungeon finder groups me with people who just hate hunters i guess. I don't really care about waiting a day or two for servers to pop up lol...

Ehh, WoW in my opinion has been declining since Cataclysm. Seems like they made it way too easy. I miss the days of people who actually cared about playing the game. True, you can still meet some cool people during raids/dungeons, but a lot of the time, it's people who just want gold/xp, and don't care about the other players.