Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Shadow Dance (The "Mane Six" against Westeros)

Silverwisp the Bard

When the continent of Westeros threatens to descent into war, Celestia and Luna, Queens of Equestria decide to steer the events into the direction they deem best.

this will be a long fanfic, detailing an alternative turn of the events of A Song of Ice and Fire with added (humanized) MLP. Hope you like it, if not, tell me why.

Prologue: Laying Plans

The rays of the setting sun sparkled on the numerous spires of Canterlot  Castle, as two figures crossed the slender bridge that connected the Tower of the Sun with the rest of the inner palace. From afar they might have been mistaken for women, but the folly of that assumption would be revealed to anyone who dared approach: no mortal women could ever be so tall, so graceful, could radiate such power. To look upon these two was to know that gods still walked earth and to be painfully aware of one’s own utter insignificance.

One of the figures stopped at the zenith of the bridge and looked out over the forests and fields spread out at the foot of the mountain, five hundred feet below, her silver hair streaming out in the wind.

“I had forgotten how beautiful our lands are. Do you ever tire of looking at them?"

The other stepped next to her and for a moment both their hair, silver and golden, mingled in the evening breeze.

“I might have, once. But they seem a hundred times more beautiful since you have returned to watch them with me, my sister.”

“It is kind of you to say so. But we should be going, my watch soon begins and I have much to show you before.”

They crossed the rest of the bridge and through one of the palace’s many gardens until they reached the towering dome of the royal library. Two guards, one clad in white robes and gilded armor, the other in dark blue garment and polished steel and silver, pulled the high doors open and bowed as the Sisters went past.

The library’s interior consisted of a single candlelit room, the ceiling painted with star constellations and the paths of the planets, dragons and stranger beasts, the walls lined with shelves containing more knowledge than could be found anywhere outside its walls.

The reading tables that usually occupied the center of the hall were gone, replaced by a single large table of curious shape. A young man in the violet robes of a scholar stopped arranging small wooden counters on the polished surface and bowed deeply as the sisters approached.

“Queen Celestia, Queen Luna. Your majesties.”

The golden haired one gave a bemused smile. “No need for such formalities Ciern. My sister has had you take up carpentry?”

Luna gave a sigh. “Look at it, dear sister. I am sure you will recognize it.”

Still smiling, Celestia stepped closer to the table: the polished surface was carved with the likenesses of rivers, mountains and cities, the wooden counters were painted with lions, flowers, seashells and other sigils.

“It is the continent of Westeros beyond the sea. What of it?”

“I mean to make it a gift to young Cadenza. She is a married women now and deserving of a realm of her own.”

From one moment to another, the trickster’s smile was gone from Celestia’s face and when she spoke, there was steel in her voice.

“So you would just ask them to hand over their land? Or would you go to war like in the old days, crushing the realms the mortals and parade them through our street like cattle to work the mines below us?”

Luna cast down her eyes. “I will not take up my sword again, as I have promised you. But Westeros will have war whether we interfere or not.”

She waved her hand over the table.

“The local lords have grown too strong and their current king is a warrior, not a ruler. A darkness is rising in the north and to the east an exile Prince prepares his return at the head of a hoard of Dothraki. Right now the scales are in balance, if we tip them in the right direction, we might save the people of Westeros much suffering.”

For a long while, Celestia just studied the counters laid out before them.

“And how would you accomplish this tipping?”

Luna took up a small carved box from the table.

“We shall play what they call the Game of Thrones.”

She opened the lid so her sister could see the content.

Celestia gave a short laugh. “You would set these six against the whole of Westeros?”

Luna grinned.

“Well if I play, I play to win.”

Ciern went down on one knee. “Your majesties, if the lady Isabel is to go, may I have your leave to accompany her, to ensure her safety and uphold her honour?”

The sisters exchanged a knowing look. 

“Well”, said Luna. “Who are we to deny such a gallant request? I think we shall have you made a knight as well, the Westerosi set great store by knighthood.”

“That is“, she added with a side glance at Celestia. “If my sister would have it.”

Celestia took up one of the pieces from the box and examined it. It was carved out of a lilac stone and set with a small star formed out of tiny rubies and diamonds.

She set it down on the table with a click.

“Very well then. We shall play.”

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1