Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming [Gaming] The Team Fortress 2 Thread

Ron Jeremy

The official Team Fortress 2 Thread

What is it? Team Fortress 2 is a popular team-based FPS developed and published by Valve, and available for PC Valve's digital distribution service and client, Steam. Since June 23 2011, Team Fortress 2 has gone "Free to play" meaning a person can play the game without paying for it, but can purchase various weapons (which can be obtained through crafting/at random while playing) and hats and paints (most of which can be obtained without purchasing).

Where do I get it? Through Steam. Download the Steam client through the website, and then through the client download Team Fortress 2. Note that if you have never actually purchased a game on Steam, you cannot make use of some features, such as the chat function. Don't worry, you can still use the in-game chat functions and such.

What are my penalties for being a free player? How do I stop being a free player?

Free player abilities/Premium abilites.

Only hold 50 items in their backpack / can hold 300.

Only craft "Standard" items / doesn't have crafting restricted.

Can receive items in trades, but only trade away items they received in trades / can trade freely.

Can only be the recipient of a "Gift-wrapped" item" / can send and receive "Gift-wrapped" items.

You can upgrade your account by simply buying something from the in game store, the "Mann. Co Store". There is no subscription fee.

Okay, I've got the game downloaded and know all that. How do I join a game? As a beginner, you may first want to practice. The game has a easy-to-access offline practice mode with varying difficulties of computer-controlled players, and some class-specific practice modes. Play around with those for a while, get a feel for everything. Once you feel comfortable playing, use the server browser, or try the lazy way and clicking the large "Play now" button to connect to a Valve server.

Scootacool/Key Gear's Edit 4/12/2012: Decided to improve this thread due to it's popularity.

Artemis' Edit 4/09/2013: Removed MLP Forums server info on the basis that the server no longer exists.

• Brohoof 7

I don't play it (mom and dad forbid M rated games in the house) But I do have a large knowledge of it. Once I have my own computer, I'll download it from steam.

Well lets start off with that its the best FPS there is.

I've played TF2 for about a year and a half now. And its a game you just cant have enouth of.

My favorite hat got to be the ''Texas Ten Gallon'' (Engi hat).

Now speaking of servers, since this forum is HUGE and all the members are spread out over the world it will become a problem o find one. Anyone got any bright idea?

Spy and solider are my favorite classes :P

Edited by Vicke
  • Brohoof 2

I play TF2, I've been around for a little while, ~2 years now.

because of my unfortunate location (Australia) It would be hard for me to have a serious match with anyone with a ping of over 50.

(edited)

Now speaking of servers, since this forum is HUGE and all the members are spread out over the world it will become a problem o find one. Anyone got any bright idea?

Sadly, I can't think of any real way to solve this little issue, since there is no location that everyone on the planet is an equal distance from, and I can't see anyone making a server in the center of the earth. :P

Still, we shouldn't let that get in the way of little get-togethers.

Anyway, anypony interested in TF2-ing sometime add me on Steam.

Edited by King K. Roop
  • Brohoof 1

Gungslinger engineer ftw.

I trust you use the Frontier Justice with it?

I used to love that combo for a long time before I had quit for a while. Getting revenge crit kills is so satisfying.

• Brohoof 1

No, actually. I'm far too impatient to sit back and wait for revenge crits to start rolling in; I am suicidally proactive engineer.

... somehow it works well for me.

• Brohoof 1

No, actually. I'm far too impatient to sit back and wait for revenge crits to start rolling in; I am suicidally proactive engineer.

... somehow it works well for me.

To each their own. Depends on the situation which is more needed anyway. Sometimes combat engies are needed, sometimes turtle engies.

• Brohoof 1

Other than that, it's all Soldier for me; with an occasional reluctant scout thrown into the mix.

I mostly play King of the Hill myself, primarily on Nucleus, though I don't mind an occasional bit of CTF, Payload, and Arena.

• Brohoof 3

I play TF2 a bit. I haven't in a while though. Last time I played was back in October when I became a Brony and found a bunch of client side visual mods to Ponify TF2 just for the lulz!

I usually play Medic or Engineer. I'm horrible at aiming on a mouse due to being on consoles my whole life till about a year ago so I normally go for support roles!

Plus my Medic gets Fluttershy's voice yay!

I can play any class decently except spy and scout. I'm a great heavy and demo, and a pretty good soldier. I used to play pyro, but not as much anymore.

I have a friend who's a really good medic, so we get on the same team and get on skyle and just dominate everything as a heavy/medic team. Seriously, by the end of most games we each have like 20-30 more points than the next highest scoring player on either team.

I mainly play payload and control points, but I like anything that isn't 2fort or arena.

Edited by Evilshy

I can play any class decently except spy and scout. I'm a great heavy and demo, and a pretty good soldier. I used to play pyro, but not as much anymore.

I have a friend who's a really good medic, so we get on the same team and get on skyle and just dominate everything as a heavy/medic team. Seriously, by the end of most games we each have like 20-30 more points than the next highest scoring player on either team.

I mainly play payload and control points, but I like anything that isn't 2fort or arena.

Good medics are getting rarer, especially with all the lame F2Pers* who think that spamming rockets down hallways = skill. Nobody wants to go medic when there's nobody skilled enough worth keeping alive.

*I don't find all F2Pers lame. I'm talking about the ones who aren't good at all at the game and refuse to get better, AKA noobs.

• Brohoof 1

Just got out of a 5+ hour session of TF2 with Vicke, playing around on Valve servers. Many kills were had, many points capped, defended, and many pootises pootis'd, and maybe even a gottam or two.

We definitely need to get more people on the forums here together for doing stuff like this. We had fun, but we could have had much more with more MLPforumers (MLPforumites?) with us.

• Brohoof 3

I play a bit of TF2, but I suck though... so I don't think I'm gonna be of much help to you. :lol:

Dude, it doesn't matter. As long as it's people from the forums getting together, it'll be fun. Besides, you don't get better without practice! :) Add us on Steam.

• Brohoof 3

I think I'll give the game a try in the next days but I don't think I'll become a good player. I pretty suck at playing Shooters with mouse and keyboard tough I am a pretty decent MW3 player on PS3 xD

Dude, it doesn't matter. As long as it's people from the forums getting together, it'll be fun. Besides, you don't get better without practice! :) Add us on Steam.

Sent an invite to both you and Vicke.

I play it loads. My favourite class is soldier but I generally play it with friends and we have loads of little strategies we use with various classes.

I'd love to play with some of you guys some time, may just have to invite you all!