Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Angel = Abusive

Party Cannon

After re-watching some episodes it seems Angel's personality had morphed. At first I think he was funny and kind of like Fluttershy's silent sidekick, yet as the series progressed he acts more and more like a d*ck (can I type d*ck?). He physically strikes her and seesaws between bratty child to an abusive spouse. Idk, might be crazy. What do you guys think (points microphone)?

Edited by Party Cannon
  • Brohoof 3

At first I thought he was just supposed to be the helpful one and kind of the voice of reason for Fluttershy as Spike is to Twilight like the same bunny named Angel in G1 MLP that helped out some hermit guy that seemed to be forgetting things. But then he seemed to have become just a brat like a really angry teenager.

Edited by poniesforfun

Egh.. Though you say he cares for her.. I kinda find that hard to believe.

If you look at it objectively, FS is nice to everyone. And strangely is RARELY taken advantage of for it. That's where Angel comes in.

He shows whats really wrong with being the all encompassing KIND that FS can be. He, to me at least, seems like some homeless man staying in a kind old woman's house and eating all her food and stealing a bed.... That's what it looks like to me...

But I can definitely see the... Abusive Spouse too... Really quite awful...

Alright, i admit i've thought about about that a lot. It does bug me how rudely he treats her, especially since Fluttershy is so sweet to everypony (including him). However, I do think that this may be something that the writers might expand on... or not >..<

I dunno, I feel like if they were separated, it'll be like when spike left twi. They actually need each other and they need to realize that (Fluttershy seems to know this, but angel needs a lesson in it)

I've always thought Angel was kind of an asshole and I don't like him at all. He acts like such a jerk to Fluttershy, I don't understand why she likes him so much.

I think I do. To me the situation seems to be rather classic and there are a lot of examples of this type of behavior in many relationships among humans. Fluttershy is a very typical unconfident Giver, while Angel is clearly the opposite. Let me put it in a romantic perspective, which is the easiest one to explain this in:

Maria is with John. M is a caring person who is more concerned with the wellbeing of others and will put them before herself in almost any given situation. She is also not very confident in herself, constantly doubting if she is good enough.

J is a selfish and possesive person, who will put his own interests before that of others. He sees that M is a much better person than he is and that he is undeserving of her, but he doesn't know how to act accordingly. Because of this, he becomes stressed and anxious. His possesive side also makes him do whatever it takes to keep what he has, while his selfish side will make it so he does so with as few changes to his own interest as possible.

The result of this is often that J will use M's lack of confidence against her and make her believe that she is not good enough for him, but that he stays with her anyway. As she is unsecure as a person already, it will not be hard to convince her. Because she feels beneath J, she will accept nearly all abuse and use psychic exercises(subconsciously) to convince herself that these things are her own fault and that she has to improve herself to make it stop. This again leads to her becoming en even more selfless person towards others, which will reinforce J's belief that he has to do womething to hold on to this amazingly caring and kind person in his life.

Basicly, it is a vicious cycle.

Swap M with Fluttershy and J with Angel, and the romantic situation with that of a friend/caretaker mix and you can quite easily apply many of the same things. Fluttershy is determined to make him happy, and Angel has become accustomed to this so he has certain demands that he feels entitled to, among them the right to be the only one to hurt her. This would also explain why he in some episodes is more friendly towards her and takes her side against "foreign" harm.

Of course, this is just a very quick analysis that doesn't cover everything, but I hope it helps people understand it a bit more. And that I made sense.

Edit: I apologize for the fact that the comparrison is not a perfect match.

Edited by Tdroid
  • Brohoof 1

You gotta learn to not take things that seriously.

It's just plain old funny harmless cartoon violence, all for the comedy effect.

Not to mention that angel is like this most likely becuse fluttershy spoiled him. It's fluttershys fault he's insanely funny and the best pet ;).

Edited by That Colt

He got what's comin' to him.

But yeah, it's just a cartoon. I like how his personality runs so opposite to what expectations would be otherwise for a cartoon rabbit.

I wouldn't mind doing this to Angel any chance I'd get:

%20http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/family/HomerStranglesBart1.gif%20

Of course I can't do that....my wife would kill me....and I'd feel somewhat bad afterwards.

My thoughts exactly... he's just gotten worse and worse as the show has gone on (although he was pretty supportive in Hurricane Fluttershy, I'll give him that). But in "Putting Your Hoof Down"? OMG, he was a terror, demon-spawn sprung from the depths of Tartarus, and I just wanted to punt him into a brick wall!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

• Brohoof 2

I don't like Angel, he is the only pet in the show that I do not like. He is a manipulative little brat and I am surprised with the way that Fluttershy is supposed to be so good with animals that they don't have an episode where she brings him in line so to speak. I mean she has the "look" that works with other animals, why doesn't she use it on him when he is being a brat? Or throw him out and let him fend for himself for a little while, that would straighten him out...and wow I just got all hyped up over a rabbit haha.