Marceline

Well between discord and sombra. I'd have to say sombra.

He was much more intimidating that discord who I found rather comical.

Since mlp keeps getting compared to 1960s batman.

Discord=joker

When the bullying was present I honestly think diamond tiara is the worse because she's been a consistent bully.

Sure Gilda was mean but she'll likely never show up again. Babs won't likely either so it's not a big issue. Trixie isn't a bully as much as she is a show off.

I would say discord was worse since he put most of Equestria into disharmony with very little to no effort and also came closest to braking the mane 6, where as sombra did a lot of things (off screen) but did very little in the episode he was in. I personally believe if discord hadn't been so cocky he could have easily completely taken over Equestria again. Plus discord ruled all of Equestria and sombra only ruled a small chunk of it

For my thoughts on the bullies rather than the the main evils, it's going to depend on from who's view.

From the adults PoV, it's really a choice between FlimFlam, Gilda and Trixie I believe and I'd go with the Flim Flam Brothers. They seem relatively clever and can business bully people.Obviously they have their flaws and going against what I just said, act rather stupidly at the end of their episode. They could have had a huge impact for certain ponies in town.

Trixie was just a show off and while people might find her entertaining, she'd never get any real support from important people or pose any kind of threat(future episodes not counting).

Gilda would win out here short-term, just because of her appearance and attitude. The attitude though is her downfall in that she flaunts her aggressive nature which would alienate her quickly and also end up posing no threat. Still, she mate FS cry and needs putting down :)

From the younger PoV, I'd go with Babs. DT and SS are just stuck up rich kids. Nobody in the show apparently takes them seriously and it's all just verbal abuse and not very good verbal abuse imo. Babs on the other hand has the whole butch kind of look about her and is a lot more aggressive in her insulting. She's also more physically involved, with her happily breaking stuff/stealing stuff. Also being a family member of AB, it'd be all that more painful and frightening. Even though she was 'redeemed' at the end, I'd pick her.

Probably forgotten about a few people and/or reasons for who is worse but meh.

• Brohoof 1

Umm, Discord was probably the most intimidation antagonist, considering he can convert just about anypony to their opposite. What's worse than a guy who makes people the opposite of who they are? Maybe the mirror that makes you live your worst fear, but that wasn'st Sombra himself, but more of what Sombra made/put there. Plus, Chrysalis needed an army, while Discord can do it alone.

Queen Chrysalis is definitely the most intimidating for me, seeing her feed off of Cadence's love for Shining Armor saddened me.

Well, yeah. That was pretty heartless. Man, why are TV shows so ironic!?!?! I think she was intimidating, but she needed support. Discord is a solo actor.

Well, yeah. That was pretty heartless. Man, why are TV shows so ironic!?!?! I think she was intimidating, but she needed support. Discord is a solo actor.

I do agree, she should have had more than her 'subjects' which just looked like flies on bath salts, to support her, would have made the episode a bit more interesting.

• Brohoof 1

King sombre certainly comes off as a much more threatening character, even if he isn't quite as interesting as Discord. However Discord just kinda causes chaos randomly and doesn't even bother to fight back when the mane 6 defeat him. Where as King sombre actually uses traps like the one twilight got caught in, and he travels as a fregin black shadow spreading crystals of darkness around. Plus he can use his horn even when it becomes disconnected like when he spawns a dark crystal after his horn is chipped off. Not to mention his door that leads to your worst fears show's he can manipulate you mentally and not just physically.

Plus dark magic looks quite intimidating in my eyes. Honestly I don't find salt roads raining chocolate milk, and the such that Discord conjures up that threatening. However I think Discord is a better Villain, but thats another discussion

As for bully's.. Well I find that Diamond Tiar and Silver spoon really just petty threat most of the time. Bab's eventuelly turned out good, but he did a bit more threatening things then DT and SS.

I think Gilda would be quite intimidating even if she never seemed to turned super violent or anything. But her roar would seem like if you where facing her it would be intimidating.(I know it would intimidate me :P.)

So those are my opinions.

Edited by Zygen

From a bullies perspective, I would say Trixie. She was just outright a Bitch, hands down. She sought out people to people and belittle for no reason at all. She wasn't even kind to people who adored and stood up for her (Snips and Snails) I am so looking forward to Twilight kicking her rear in the end.

From a bullies perspective, I would say Trixie. She was just outright a Bitch, hands down. She sought out people to people and belittle for no reason at all. She wasn't even kind to people who adored and stood up for her (Snips and Snails) I am so looking forward to Twilight kicking her rear in the end.

Obsidian

I would say discord was worse since he put most of Equestria into disharmony with very little to no effort and also came closest to braking the mane 6, where as sombra did a lot of things (off screen) but did very little in the episode he was in. I personally believe if discord hadn't been so cocky he could have easily completely taken over Equestria again. Plus discord ruled all of Equestria and sombra only ruled a small chunk of it

Okay, so, you say Discord causing chaos on screen makes him more intimidating than King Sombra, who didn't do much on screen. But also think about it this way - they didn't need to see King Sombra do anything before they were frightened (and intimidated) to bits. Just the legacy of fear he had established for himself caused the Crystal Ponies to become depressed and out of sorts. Does that change anything? Does seeing the chaos and destruction take place seem more intimidating, or is it worse when just the mention of someone is intimidating?

Hm, I don't think Discord exactly ruled all of Equestria with his chaos in that short time he came to power, other than the day/night being all wonky. I think most of his damage was in Ponyville, and it spread itself outward, but I wouldn't go so far as to say all of Equestria had been consumed. And don't forget - the love radiating from the Crystal Kingdom affects Equestria; that love would be reflected in the whole land. But if negative emotions - like hatred and depression - were to take over the Crystal Kingdom, well, you saw what Celestia did to demonstrate that. So it would still be really bad for all of Equestria.

Oh I don't doubt that discord did a lot of damage. But the appearance of sombra was a bit scarier. He was a dark deep voice character. While discord was bright and humorous. He definitely was the more menacing of them. But sombra was scarier

So, do you say that Sombra is more intimidating because he looks scarier than Discord? Also, here's another thing to think about: yes, Discord did act bright and humerous, but he did so while wreaking havoc and tearing the Mane 6 apart. Does his ability to stay casual, even happy, during such madness make him less intimidating, or more so?

Umm, Discord was probably the most intimidation antagonist, considering he can convert just about anypony to their opposite. What's worse than a guy who makes people the opposite of who they are? Maybe the mirror that makes you live your worst fear, but that wasn'st Sombra himself, but more of what Sombra made/put there. Plus, Chrysalis needed an army, while Discord can do it alone.

Okay, think of it this way, too; Discord needs to be there to cause his pain, Sombra doesn't. Does that change anything for you? Also, what did Discord actually "do" alone? He was defeated fairly quickly, and humiliatingly if I might add. Are you saying that Discord came closer to "winning" than Chrysalis did? If so, why is it important that Discord did that alone while Chrysalis had an army? Doesn't that make her very intimidating as well?

King sombre certainly comes off as a much more threatening character, even if he isn't quite as interesting as Discord. However Discord just kinda causes chaos randomly and doesn't even bother to fight back when the mane 6 defeat him. Where as King sombre actually uses traps like the one twilight got caught in, and he travels as a fregin black shadow spreading crystals of darkness around. Plus he can use his horn even when it becomes disconnected like when he spawns a dark crystal after his horn is chipped off. Not to mention his door that leads to your worst fears show's he can manipulate you mentally and not just physically.

Plus dark magic looks quite intimidating in my eyes. Honestly I don't find salt roads raining chocolate milk, and the such that Discord conjures up that threatening. However I think Discord is a better Villain, but thats another discussion

As for bully's.. Well I find that Diamond Tiar and Silver spoon really just petty threat most of the time. Bab's eventuelly turned out good, but he did a bit more threatening things then DT and SS.

I think Gilda would be quite intimidating even if she never seemed to turned super violent or anything. But her roar would seem like if you where facing her it would be intimidating.(I know it would intimidate me :P.)

So those are my opinions.

If you want to talk about Discord being a "better villain," you can talk about that, too. I'd say it goes with the conversation. :)

PS: I don't know of this was just a typo, but just to be on the safe side, Babs is a "she," not a "he." :P

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so, you say Discord causing chaos on screen makes him more intimidating than King Sombra, who didn't do much on screen. But also think about it this way - they didn't need to see King Sombra do anything before they were frightened (and intimidated) to bits. Just the legacy of fear he had established for himself caused the Crystal Ponies to become depressed and out of sorts. Does that change anything? Does seeing the chaos and destruction take place seem more intimidating, or is it worse when just the mention of someone is intimidating?

Hm, I don't think Discord exactly ruled all of Equestria with his chaos in that short time he came to power, other than the day/night being all wonky. I think most of his damage was in Ponyville, and it spread itself outward, but I wouldn't go so far as to say all of Equestria had been consumed. And don't forget - the love radiating from the Crystal Kingdom affects Equestria; that love would be reflected in the whole land. But if negative emotions - like hatred and depression - were to take over the Crystal Kingdom, well, you saw what Celestia did to demonstrate that. So it would still be really bad for all of Equestria.

In Celestias chat with the mane 6 near the beginning of season 2 episode 1 she says "before my sister and I he ruled over Equestria in an eternal state of unrest and unhappiness "

Edited by mycarhasaMoustache

In Celestias chat with the mane 6 near the beginning of season 2 episode 1 she says "before my sister and I he ruled over Equestria in an eternal state of disharmony "

Oh! Okay, I see. . . Sorry! I thought that they were talking about when we actually got to see Discord take over; totally forgot about that other part. Oops.

Oh! Okay, I see. . . Sorry! I thought that they were talking about when we actually got to see Discord take over; totally forgot about that other part. Oops.

tis fine my friend I do agree sombra is scary I just think discord is scary in the same way the heath ledger joker from bat man is scary

he uses comedy and shows no real anger or remorse as if its all fun, where as sombra comes across pretty determined personally to me a villain that acts as if its all too easy is scarier then one that shows determination. I think they are both pretty damn scary but both for different reasons

• Brohoof 1

PS: I don't know of this was just a typo, but just to be on the safe side, Babs is a "she," not a "he." :P

To be honest I don't know if I typo'd this or I really just think of her as a guy to much. However I have to admit it was hard for me to think of her as a her for a while. I guess its her voice. However I did know she is a girl. Its proably just another one of my He she typos... I make those quite common :P.

Thanks for pointing it out though :)

it's...probably diamond tiara. yeah, so she isn't the evil overlord of evilness like king sombra or discord or whatever, but i've always found bullies to be scary (obviously), so i never liked her all that much.

Why do you think Diamond Tiara is more intimidating than Babs?  Is it because Babs isn't really a bully?  If so, let's back up for a second.  Think about her always being a bully, like DT and SS are.  Just pretend it's during her time being a bully.  Do you still think DT is more intimidating, or is Babs?

Someone here said that Trixie and the Flim Flam brothers could be considered bullies, too.  What do you think of that?

I would have to say it was Chrysalis. Nightmare Moon had a freakin' awesome design and a great story behind her (something Chrysalis and Sombra sorely lacked), but she was defeated way too easily. Sombra showed promise early, but suffered from lack of personality and a direct presence in his episodes. Discord was more annoying than threatening, and his very essence makes him difficult to take seriously except as a nuisance that had to be removed. Trixie and the Flimflam Brothers were show-offs and/or crooks. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are children.

Chrysalis not only cooked up a truly evil plan behind the scenes, she was clearly power-hungry and insane. She was physically the toughest villain, she defeated Celestia and she had an army of monsters that threatened to take over Equestria. No doubt about it in my mind, Chrysalis was the most intimidating antagonist of MLP.

Edited by TailsAlone

For me, Discord is the most intimidating.. He's a threat mentally, rather than just a physical foe like Nightmare moon, Sombra, or Chrysalis. Also because he seems to be taking fun and pleasure out of causing this chaos, like he doesn't seem to be trying to be hostile. Imagine what he could have done if he was chaotic evil, rather than just chaotic neutral! As for bullies, Silver Spoon/Diamond Tiara, if only because Babs turned out to be bullied, and Gilda was partially doing it because she didn't want to lose Rainbow as a friend, IMO. 

Edit: Had not thought of Flim and Flam, and they are probably the worst bullies, but not the worst antagonist. If only because they had the other ponies in town behind them, and threatened to kick the family out of business, which seems much more threatening than harmful words/teasing, which can be bad too, but not on the same level.

Edited by Brosparkles

The most intimidating antagonists were Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra in my opinion. Not only were they more frightening and evil in looks, they were a lot more intimidating because of their goals and how they tried to take over Equestria / the Crystal Empire. Chrysalis put everyone's lives in danger (seemingly, at least), and Sombra threatened and possibly tortured the crystal ponies when he ruled. 

They both were more fierce than Nightmare Moon or Discord. Eternal night? Whoa, we cannot possibly live longer! Chocolate rain, long-legged bunnies and soap under our feet? Well, now we are in deadly danger, the world has come to an end! I mean, seriously? Posted Image

As for bullies, for me Gilda was the meanest. Babs had her own reason to be rude, Trixie probably did too (seeing the way she fled at the end). Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are just dumb little fillies who are more idiotic than insulting.

Gilda, on the other hand, bullied literally every pony who came across her way, acting superior for no reason. She yelled at Fluttershy, for God's sake! Posted Image The other reason why she's number one among smaller antagonists is that she betrayed Rainbow Dash by lying and acting as if she liked the other ponies.

The most intimidating antagonists were Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra in my opinion. Not only were they more frightening and evil in looks, they were a lot more intimidating because of their goals and how they tried to take over Equestria / the Crystal Empire. Chrysalis put everyone's lives in danger (seemingly, at least), and Sombra threatened and possibly tortured the crystal ponies when he ruled. 

They both were more fierce than Nightmare Moon or Discord. Eternal night? Whoa, we cannot possibly live longer! Chocolate rain, long-legged bunnies and soap under our feet? Well, now we are in deadly danger, the world has come to an end! I mean, seriously? Posted Image

As for bullies, for me Gilda was the meanest. Babs had her own reason to be rude, Trixie probably did too (seeing the way she fled at the end). Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are just dumb little fillies who are more idiotic than insulting.

Gilda, on the other hand, bullied literally every pony who came across her way, acting superior for no reason. She yelled at Fluttershy, for God's sake! Posted Image The other reason why she's number one among smaller antagonists is that she betrayed Rainbow Dash by lying and acting as if she liked the other ponies.

Actually, that's worse than you may think!  Here's what I said about it a couple pages back:

"I agree that, for the most part, NMM was misunderstood. She was the manifestation of loneliness and sadness, and hatred and anger fuelled by that loneliness and sadness, inside of Luna. How Nightmare Moon was created is what makes her so misunderstood. But as full on Nightmare Moon - when Luna was totally consumed by that negativity, her plan to cast the land into eternal night is much more devastating once you think about it.

Crops are a main - if not the main - food source in Equestria. Without sunlight, no matter what you do, they just won't grow. That'll cause famine and starvation among all of Equestria. And have you ever starved before? The feeling of actually starving - of not being able to get anything in your stomach - physically hurts. That physical pain is just agonizing, and the friends and family who have to watch others suffer are also experiencing emotional and mental pain as well. And that's just from not being able to grow crops . . .

I'm not sure how science would work in Equestria, but since things like grass and trees would die, too, they wouldn't be able to produce any oxygen. Eventually, there wouldn't be enough oxygen to support that kind of life in Equestria, and they'd die from suffocation, as well.

And how would this affect the animals? Both the nocturnal, and diurnal? Would the diurnal animals try to roam in the night, only to be easily preyed upon by the nocturnal animals, built for the night? Since the diurnal animals would die off, due to lack of ability to reproduce, the nocturnal animals would run out of food as well.

The whole food chain, and life in general, in all of Equestria would be broken by eternal night. Those are some pretty morbid things to think about . . . So much agony and suffering."

• Brohoof 1

Actually, that's worse than you may think!  Here's what I said about it a couple pages back:

"I agree that, for the most part, NMM was misunderstood. She was the manifestation of loneliness and sadness, and hatred and anger fuelled by that loneliness and sadness, inside of Luna. How Nightmare Moon was created is what makes her so misunderstood. But as full on Nightmare Moon - when Luna was totally consumed by that negativity, her plan to cast the land into eternal night is much more devastating once you think about it.Crops are a main - if not the main - food source in Equestria. Without sunlight, no matter what you do, they just won't grow. That'll cause famine and starvation among all of Equestria. And have you ever starved before? The feeling of actually starving - of not being able to get anything in your stomach - physically hurts. That physical pain is just agonizing, and the friends and family who have to watch others suffer are also experiencing emotional and mental pain as well. And that's just from not being able to grow crops . . .I'm not sure how science would work in Equestria, but since things like grass and trees would die, too, they wouldn't be able to produce any oxygen. Eventually, there wouldn't be enough oxygen to support that kind of life in Equestria, and they'd die from suffocation, as well.And how would this affect the animals? Both the nocturnal, and diurnal? Would the diurnal animals try to roam in the night, only to be easily preyed upon by the nocturnal animals, built for the night? Since the diurnal animals would die off, due to lack of ability to reproduce, the nocturnal animals would run out of food as well.The whole food chain, and life in general, in all of Equestria would be broken by eternal night. Those are some pretty morbid things to think about . . . So much agony and suffering."

Sorry, I didn't read back. If you put it that way, eternal night is frightening. But Nightmare Moon didn't essentially mean to make her subjects suffer, she just wanted the night to last forever so ponies would discover how beautiful it is at some point. At least that's my theory.

All in all, I still think Chrysalis and Sombra were the most intimidating antagonists. Chrysalis's actions had immediate effects, and Sombra made crystal ponies his slaves and made them disappear for one thousand years. I just say that their actions were much more direct and appeared to be more... intentional? I can't explain it better.

• 1 year later...

Answering the title question:

Sunset Shimmer and Tirek.

The others are pure jokes.

General:
Who is the most intimidating in each season? In the show all together?

The Diamond Dogs seemed to be the most cruel of the minor ones, mostly due to their stupidity, the others weren't neither intimidating or threatening, not even Discord.

Only Tirek in S4 and Sunset Shimmer in Equestria Girls.

What makes them so intimidating?

The fact that they're actually evil while enjoying it to the max. levels, and not being either generic or clichéd, or just childish and unthreatening. Also, they broke and destroyed stuff.

Are they only intimidating to a certain group of characters, or to everyone?

Tirek already was feared when MLP started in the 80s. Tirek is something MLP won't forget.

What makes character x more intimidating than character y?

It's pretty obvious.

Who would you not want to have a run-in with?

Tirek. Because at least this one could kill me.

What is it about what the characters are trying to do that makes them so intimidating?

The fact that they're actually kind of evil.

And, does their appearance reflect how intimidating they are? Does it say anything about their personality? (Example: Queen Chrysalis, eating love, but she is full of holes. . .)

Tirek being all big and satanic, and Sunset being all demonic, yes.

Bullies:
In terms of lower levels of antagonism, in this case, bullying; who would be the worst bully?
Babs, Gilda, Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon. What do you think of them?

Annoying clichéd characters.

Why do you think that they do what they do (aside from the obvious reasons why Babs did what she did)?
Who do you think is the most intimidating? Why?
Do you think Trixie should be counted as a bully, or something else?

Discord vs King Sombra:
So Discord instantly messes with your head, to turn you against one another, and he happily watches as the world crumbles from disharmony. This will result in physical pain, the longer it lasts. Spreads all over Equestria.
Sombra enslaves ponies, causing physical issues from the beginning, which then cause emotional and mental issues. It then spreads across all of Equestria as well.

So, some more stuff to think about . . . Which is worse? The physical or emotional/mental troubles?

Mental. Discord wouldn't hurt anyone though, he's a pussy. Sombra actually enslaved.

Are they equal?

In power? Who knows. In personality? They don't clearly have a unique one, to say something.

Is it situational?
Which one would cause a more rapid deterioration of a land/country/area/etc.? Or is that situational, too?
How about for Equestria, then?

Related:
Here's a somewhat off-topic thought:
Queen Chrysalis and her people feed off of love. King Sombra took away all of the Crystal Ponies' feelings of love/happiness by enslaving them. Do you think that these two have any connection, or is it just coincidence? Is it something the creators put in the show for us to think about, or is it just some good fanfic fodder? 

Writers not having enough creativity. But yeah, most characters are either rip-offs of other characters or generic stereotypical characters from everywhere.

None of the characters are really all that great and unique or even that much developed.

Edited by Darker