Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Using religion as a weapon does not present an inherent problem in religion, but rather in humans. Violence will be present with or without religion, and virtually anything can go under killing in the name of _____.

The point is not eliminating religion will magically stop violence. The people who would present religion as something used as a weapon however, believe we may be better off from having something so superficial dividing us so much.

• Brohoof 1

The point is not eliminating religion will magically stop violence. The people who would present religion as something used as a weapon however, believe we may be better off from having something so superficial dividing us so much.

I'm gonna play cynic here and say no. It won't matter because another scapegoat/pretense/excuse/whatever you call it can be found. Given some media influence, I can probably perpetrate genocide in the name of cupcakes or something.
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm gonna play cynic here and say no. It won't matter because another scapegoat/pretense/excuse/whatever you call it can be found. Given some media influence, I can probably perpetrate genocide in the name of cupcakes or something.

But in order to do that, don't you have to turn cupcakes into a religion of sorts?

Final warning, people. I don't want to close this thread if I don't have to, but I will if the arguments do not stop.

How many people is this hurting? Secondly, what you just called an argument, I call a discussion where people use logic.

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 3

Final warning, people. I don't want to close this thread if I don't have to, but I will if the arguments do not stop.

Don't think this is hurting people :S

Just adding on here, but I think it's interesting the OP asked us "why?" I think it's important that we understand for ourselves why we believe in what we do. Faith is not the antithesis of logic, questioning is not the opposite of belief.

Just adding on here, but I think it's interesting the OP asked us "why?" I think it's important that we understand for ourselves why we believe in what we do. Faith is not the antithesis of logic, questioning is not the opposite of belief.

Atheists or agnostic atheists don't have a faith in some god or entity (however, you can have faith in a person, but that isn't super-natural)

Atheists or agnostic atheists don't have a faith in some god or entity (however, you can have faith in a person, but that isn't super-natural)

That's what I'm talking about. It's also possible to have faith in a idea. (Justice, Freedom, etc.)

Equestriastic is #1! Why? Because ponies.

I've said before how the show could be used as a codex for moral wellness. (That IS it's intended purpose. Being funny/engaging is just the sugar on top.) If you want to look at it in the Christian tradition, it almost tells the tale of Paradise Lost. Luna was a servitor of good who felt imprisoned by her role and unappreciated in it sh she rebelled against the life bringing supreme deity. Sound familiar? Nightmare Moon certainly does fit into a "Devil" figure. With various superstitions surrounding her lore and a legend of her return, which ends up heralding apocalyptic circumstance. (Although Luna herself is redemptive, her history isn't a good one even if it wasn't entirely her fault.) One can also go back even further in a Abrahamic/Islamic fashion, with Celestia/God choosing and inspiring an individual pony to serve as her prophet and worker in the world. Who else but Twilight? Lastly, I could bring this back to the Greek Pantheon! The Titans were creatures of Pandemonium. Under their rule, no civilization could survive for long, until the gods stopped them. Again, sound familiar? One could also see the Mane Six as demi-gods being mortal but having a spark of divinity within them as the Elements of Harmony. They certainly are capable of feats other ponies have not shown the ability to perform. Rainbow Dash is the only one to use the Sonic Rainboom, Twilight's the only one shown to teleport, and Pinkie . . . is Pinkie. But that's all thematically mythological/religious. Ethically you could still see the Mane Six as Saints or Paragons to follow in lessons of behavior. They're not perfect, but what can you expect? They're mortal like us!
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Atheist.

I try to keep my thoughts to myself at all times.

But religious people really piss me off whenever they shove things like 'GOD HATES FAGS" "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL" down your throat.

God isn't real, hell isn't real, and If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I burn in hell, you go to heaven. End of story. I don't care.

Edited by Rochambo
  • Brohoof 2

Atheist.

I try to keep my thoughts to myself at all times.

But religious people really piss me off whenever they shove things like 'GOD HATES FAGS" "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL" down your throat.

God isn't real, hell isn't real, and If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I burn in hell, you go to heaven. End of story. I don't care.

I don't know who you've been talking to, but I would have given them a piece of my mind! Those are what we like to call "zealots" and they are not worth the air they're using to condemn you for nothing!

I've said before how the show could be used as a codex for moral wellness. (That IS it's intended purpose. Being funny/engaging is just the sugar on top.) If you want to look at it in the Christian tradition, it almost tells the tale of Paradise Lost. Luna was a servitor of good who felt imprisoned by her role and unappreciated in it sh she rebelled against the life bringing supreme deity. Sound familiar? Nightmare Moon certainly does fit into a "Devil" figure. With various superstitions surrounding her lore and a legend of her return, which ends up heralding apocalyptic circumstance. (Although Luna herself is redemptive, her history isn't a good one even if it wasn't entirely her fault.) One can also go back even further in a Abrahamic/Islamic fashion, with Celestia/God choosing and inspiring an individual pony to serve as her prophet and worker in the world. Who else but Twilight? Lastly, I could bring this back to the Greek Pantheon! The Titans were creatures of Pandemonium. Under their rule, no civilization could survive for long, until the gods stopped them. Again, sound familiar? One could also see the Mane Six as demi-gods being mortal but having a spark of divinity within them as the Elements of Harmony. They certainly are capable of feats other ponies have not shown the ability to perform. Rainbow Dash is the only one to use the Sonic Rainboom, Twilight's the only one shown to teleport, and Pinkie . . . is Pinkie. But that's all thematically mythological/religious. Ethically you could still see the Mane Six as Saints or Paragons to follow in lessons of behavior. They're not perfect, but what can you expect? They're mortal like us!

But what happends if you don't listen to Celestia ?.... nothing.....

But what happends if you don't do what God/Yahweh says.... O, then you're going to burn forever... for a finite crime...

(edited)

But what happends if you don't do what God/Yahweh says.... O, then you're going to burn forever... for a finite crime...

What kind of priest/preacher/rabi/shaman/etc. have you been listening to? That's not what I've been taught at all! Edited by Steel Accord

I'm a mix of eclectic paganism, shamanism, wicca and feri-tradition.. So I guess I'm an eclectic pagan.

My mom is a really Christian person, and because of her I kind of learned to stay out of the church. I don't personally see the theme fitting to me. It's too.. there is not a word for my thoughts. To say it plainly, I can't feel it. Christianity is not even near to my beliefs.

And one more reason, the Bible says something about witchcraft and stuff like that, so I couldn't be a full christian anyway :I Unless an eclectic christian counts.. No, I find nature paganism more "my thing". It's really free, it's about nature.. Yes, my thing. "An it harm none, do what ye will."

I find Confucianism interesting as well, but I think I would not practice it.. It's just interesting to investigate things about it.. And I like the whole idea of it :)

If I offended someone, sorry. My opinion won't change, and even if I can't justify myself well enough, I think you got the idea.

(edited)

I'm an athiest and I (read ahead before you hate me on this statement) cannot stand most christians, there's been too many throughout history who use their beliefs as a scapegoat for their actions. That being said, some of my best friends are christians, and buddhists, they're not hateful, they believe everyone who is good will either go to heaven or purgatory, and everyone is bad, well, you know.

Of course if I'm wrong, I'll find out, I believe in karma though, if I'm really such a bad person right now, I should see everyone else down there too, if the only reason I would not be in heaven if it exists is because I do not believe in god, then I would be in purgatory with fellow friendly Athiests, my friends tell me that god prefers a kind athiest to a hateful christian.

Karmaaaaaa, it's serious buisness, don't mess with that.

Edited by Zyean
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe I should change to a radical Catholic just to mess with atheists

DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL RUIN THE BALANCE

ACTUALLY, if you don't listen to celestia, YOU GO TO THE MOOOOOON!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't know who you've been talking to, but I would have given them a piece of my mind! Those are what we like to call "zealots" and they are not worth the air they're using to condemn you for nothing!

Not all Zealots are like that but then again the word All is always wrong. I want to say they're fundamentists or just intoleranble, Becides that, they are just rude.

The spoiler is for you steel.

The reason I say So is because I think my views arent too far from that but obviously not so mean nor unforgiving about it

Edited by TagTeamCast

Not all Zealots are like that but then again the word All is always wrong. I want to say they're fundamentists or just intoleranble, Becides that, they are just rude.

The spoiler is for you steel.

The reason I say So is because I think my views arent too far from that but obviously not so mean nor unforgiving about it

Well then you are not a zealot. Zealotry means extreme devotion, often to an unhealthy degree. You are tolerant of others views.

• Brohoof 1