Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on the "direction the show is taking."

Driz

Since the premiere, I've been lurking around the forums and finding some interesting posts regarding Season 3. Most of the times, these posts complain about the direction the show has apparently taken recently, this direction being nothing, more nothing less than towards the bronies themselves.

One of the most evident signs of this subtle change of tracks is the supposed shipping references which can be identified by some several times during the Crystal Empire episodes for instance. Not only that, the nitpicking on G3 Pinkie Pie during the Too Many Pinkie Pies episode is also a possible indication of the show leaning a little more towards its "mature audience" (i.e. us).

This has actually been predicted long time ago, and now, in the eyes of some of us, it's slowly becoming true. Some of us find it brilliant, some of us find it devastating. Here, I wanted to know the many different opinions you guys have about this subject.

---

I, for one, like very much this incredibly subtle "change of directions". It reveals nothing else than the writers and developers forming an each-time-stronger bond with the brony community. It means that, not only the writers hugely respect us and care about us, but also that the show is far from its end.

I mean, ideas, speculations and suggestions is something our community have of best. That means - why not - the writers themselves can use some of our ideas and implement them in the show. I've heard something recently about a brony being hired to the MLP staff after all, so again, why not?

I can understand, though, why some of us have negative opinions about it: we are all bronies since the beginning because of how we liked the animation, the humor, the characters, the story, and whatnot. And now, seeing that the MLP staff may have decided to switch gears, the show may or may not go off-rails and disappoint most of the brony community. It may be risky, yes. But I, myself, am still loving it so far~

So... thoughts? :3

• Brohoof 3

I don't like shipping references  But I sort of like how they are becoming more 'something' with there season openers and endings. The bad guy this season was more dark. He wanted to enslave all pony kind instead of doing some childish thing. And he died. 

No he's not coming back. He's dead. 

Quite honestly, I don't think the episodes have been done to cater to us, references aside. Sure the G3 thing or the hand thing, for example, WAS something for us, but it's just a references. The whole thing would still cater to kids. As for the supposed shipping references, I jokingly say that it is shipping fuel material, but I see it as an increase in the relationship between each of the ponies, wherever this little interactions have happened. The strongest one would be the famous little phrase AJ threw at Rarity. but I see this as a way to make us know that their friendship is strongest now (which after some amount of episodes after Sisterhooves Social and Look Before you Sleep SHOULD be stronger by now). As far as I know, The writers haven't done a thing to change the "show catering" at all. I frankly would be happy if the writers saw stuff from us in the internet and got an idea they could use for the episodes. For all we know, we're making their jobs easier! XD. But seriously though, the only reason I would be seriously angry with the writers is if by trying to cater to us, the show stopped being fun. IF that happened, then yes I would be quite disappointed. However, little references aside, I think they have been doing a great, great job, WHILE not changing who they are talking to. Little kids always have fantasies of being in things like The Crystal Empire, and the morals left in the other episodes are GREAT for kids everywhere. I am loving this season a lot, and I can't wait to see what else do the writers hold in store for us watchers.Posted Image

• Brohoof 3

I actually don't like the show being mature. I am just eleven, barley out of the target range. Still, the G reference thing was just a joke...heck, some kids think MLP is a whole new cartoon and don't know that there were three previous generations.

I honestly don't find that the show is "catering" to us.  I just found this season to be more-or-less deeper then the others.  The G3 reference was just a joke that probably had little to nothing to do with the older range.

• Brohoof 1

i dont think the shows catering to us if so its been catering to i think season 2 that came ou with equstria girls i dont really see any shipping refrences...... but the older generation pony was fun but it was just a gag and not esactly catering just giving a bit of stuff for us but keeping it clean and  kiddy (through not to kiddy) but i think it woudnt be the end of the world is they did cater to us like have some type of contest where your show idea can be made into a show as long as it follows the mlp feel and chracters then um who cares where it comes from?

• Brohoof 1

It's been good thus far at blending things bronies will love with it's target audience. Has felt very organic and doesn't disrupt the flow of the show to scream "Hey bronies! Look at this! And now.. Conway Twitty Pony!"The brony-targeted humor appeals to little kids too because it's still funny and cute without solely relying on us.

• Brohoof 1

To be perfectly honest, I think sometimes we have an over-active imagination when it comes to possible brony 'shoutouts'. For example, how do we know the alleged 'shipping references' are actually shipping references and simply not placing two characters in the same situation either by coincidence or just because the writer wanted to? How do we know Pinkie Pie having fingers is a reference either and not just something funny? For non-obvious ones like these, I am quite skeptical.

Nevertheless, whenever there actually is a shoutout (Derpy, for instance,) I have no problems whatsoever provided it doesn't go overboard. 

• Brohoof 5

I agree with others that the shout-outs haven't really disrupted the show or anything, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they might not actually be shout-outs. I've heard some people are disappointed with all the "shout-outs" we get, as they don't think the show should have them, but there isn't really a way to know if anything other than Derpy and Doctor Hooves are meant to be shout-outs or not. For example, while the gen 3 Pinkie face might have been a shout-out, who knows if the writers didn't just include it as a joke to themselves?

As far as shipping references go, the only shipping we've had a CLEAR reference to has been Sparity. Though the pictures from A Canterlot Wedding could be interpreted as shipping pictures, they could also just be who each pony decided to dance with. 

But as to my opinion on Season 3, I love it so far! I think the episodes have been amazing and the writers have really done a great job with them.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't really think the producers are making any more references that are directed to bronies any more than they did last season.  I think the biggest reason people think they are is because bronies are looking for them more than even last season, and so are bound to nitpick even the tiniest references.  Really, I'm quite pleased with the direction the show is taking; it's quite frankly the logical continuation from where Season 2 left off, with Twilight continuing to advance in her studies and such.  So overall, I could not be more pleased with the direction the show is going in right now.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

(OP here)

Sorry guys, I think I failed to make myself clear. :o

I didn't mean to say that the show is completely catering to us. I just meant to say that bronies are apparently slowly being more and more recognized my the MLP staff, thus they are making those harmless and subtle references such as the G3 Pinkie joke, which I believe not many people would get other than us.

I don't think they're aiming at us more than any of its initial aim audience. I do believe that, if the show changed it's aim audience to us, it would kinda lose its charm.

I didn't mean to say that the show is completely catering to us. I just meant to say that bronies are apparently slowly being more and more recognized my the MLP staff, thus they are making those harmless and subtle references such as the G3 Pinkie joke, which I believe not many people would get other than us.   I don't think they're aiming at us more than any of its initial aim audience. I do believe that, if the show changed it's aim audience to us, it would kinda lose its charm.

Haha, well, you know, there's something I have seen. Us bronies would recognize it inmediately, but the thing is, those references are COMPLETELY hilarious! Anybody would friggin laugh at Pinkie's G3 face in that moment or the hand thing! Wouldn't you agree? That's why I don't think there hasn't been a catering. As for losing it's charm, it really depends. If it completely changes everything that we know, then yeah, it might go downhill. However, we all know that the writers involved ARE good, and I think even IF they did catering, it would be good episodes. Would probably lose a some watchers, but I think it would still stand strong IMO.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of these references are actually just bronies looking for things that aren't there (mainly the "shipping references"), and taking whatever they get and running with it. And visual gags are meant for everyone, even though bronies may understand them a little more that the target audience, the girls can still get a good laugh out of 'em.

• Brohoof 3

I myself didn't notice these supposed shipping references in the Crystal Empire. (Maybe I'm just an oblivious dumb but either way) And I personally enjoy that the Hub has realized they have more fans then just the kiddies and have offered little 'winks' at us to say they know we're out there. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the change of pace the show has undergone. And I think, if they where going to ruin the show, they'd not be so subtle. I think they'd just destroy it over night. As they haven't, I find that a strong support to their plans to keep it (Mostly) as it is.   (Also if someone could point out the shipping references in Crystal Empire I'd be greatly thankful.)

• Brohoof 2

Personally I dont think they are aiming the show more towards us I just think they are making a better show as they learn from mistakes. It has nothing to do with the maturity of the audience mlp is one of the few things that is actually suitable for all ages literally .

There are shipping references? God dammit. This isn't a show that needs shipping, unless it's Shining Armor and Princess Cadence.

Don't forget Cup Cake and Carrot Cake.Posted Image  But no, it's just things that in the minds of others it COULD look as shipping, but is not. Like I said many times, they reinforce the relationships the ponies have with each other, in this case, their friendships. That's how I see it. (And I'm glad the writers let us know about thatPosted Image ) 

• Brohoof 1

I already stated what the supposed shipping references are, but for those who are confused, they're the pictures at the end of A Canterlot Wedding Part 2. I personally don't think those pictures mean anything in terms of shipping, but others have interpreted them that way.

Here, I'll even post 'em to make things clearer for everypony ^-^:

Pinkie pie eating cake, no suggestions of shipping here:

post-7639-0-79928800-1354438658_thumb.png

Applejack playing the fiddle, the only shipping suggestion I could maybe see in this one is Apple Fritter with that stallion in a cowboy hat in the background:

post-7639-0-25006300-1354438772_thumb.png

Spike and Sweetie Belle, these two are sometimes shipped together due to Sweetie Belle being related to Rarity and her and Spike's closeness in age:

post-7639-0-25003200-1354438881_thumb.png

Rarity and Fancy Pants, the two are sometimes shipped together:

post-7639-0-70723800-1354438934_thumb.png

And finally, Soarin and Rainbow Dash, which is a fairly common ship:

post-7639-0-75595200-1354438969_thumb.png

I would like to state again that I do not think these pictures indicate shipping - I talked about possible shipping between the characters to help everypony understand why some fans would interpret them as shipping ^-^

post-7639-0-79928800-1354438658_thumb.png

post-7639-0-25006300-1354438772_thumb.png

post-7639-0-25003200-1354438881_thumb.png

post-7639-0-70723800-1354438934_thumb.png

post-7639-0-75595200-1354438969_thumb.png

I personally like how it is being geared towards the older crowd. I think they will be able to manage doing the more intense storylines for the older folks, but still make it fun for the younger ones. So I really can't wait to see where they go with it. As far as shipping, I am also interested in what they do with that as well.

I think the show is starting to aim towards a "brony" audience partly because the producers see that the show is becoming more watched by teens. However I also think the producers know that we (bronies) still like the show when it was targeted towards a younger audience, making subtle changes is not a bad thing but I dont think the producers are going to stray from the original series to much