Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just a quick poll

RazzyJam

Would you buy a car...  

51 users have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a car for 10,000 US Dollars?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy a car that got 80 Miles Per Gallon?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you ever buy a Hybrid car?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Would you buy a Diesel car?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Would you buy a car that got 80 MPG for 10000 US Dollars?

• Hell yes
    • Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Will you consider purchasing a car in the next 10 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not know at this moment

Just a quick poll that I was hoping you guys could fill in for me. Im planning out some things for later in life. This is in no way advertisement for any product or service (or at least, not for one that exists right now)

Leave any questions or comments on the poll below!

Thanks!

EDIT:

Just some reasoning as to why I am doing this:

I am applying to colleges, and Im looking to get a degree in mechanical engineering. I plan to get out of college and start a Power and Transportation industry. The cars I would be making would be Hybrid-electric. They would have small diesel engines that spun generators and stored energy in capacitors. 

Compared to todays hybrid technology and electric cars, this would be one of the cheapest and most efficient models. Electric cars currently pose several issues. First being that they cant go very far without needing to be charged, and the infrastructure to support it is not available. Current hybrid designs are also not as efficient as they could be. Models such as the Prius still rely mostly on a gas engine for propulsion.

This model would be purely electric, and a small diesel motor would kick in only when electricity was running low. The motor would not be attached to the drive train in any way.

Because it is a diesel engine, it also burns fuel more efficiently than gas. It also means that it can burn Bio-Fuels without any sort of conversions.

These cars would also be high performance, and have a similar configuration to that of the Tesla Roadster. The car would take full advantage of the electric power it generates.

Certain energy recycling applications would also be installed, as much energy in traditional automobiles is wasted. Most of these applications I am withholding, because I dont want anyone taking my ideas, but I will say that the cars will be recycling normally wasted energy from things like brakes.

Edited by WingedRatchet

I am honestly planning on buying myself a car within the next ten years, hopefully it will come to pass as I do not want to spend the rest of my life not knowing how to drive :/

As for the details of the car, I am just going to wait on that for until the time comes, right now, I just want something to drive that isn't rusty and can drive decently

• Brohoof 1

If I'll buy a car, it is going to be completely electric, not just hybrid.

Also for any other people out there not used to miles/gallons, 80 miles per gallon is about 34 km per litre. 

As far as cars go, I'm not an eco-friendly guy. I don't exactly go zooming around in hummers guzzling fuel, but I love my sports cars and muscle cars, and would never buy a hybrid. Anything that could lose a race to a bicyclist is not something I want to be driving.

• Brohoof 1

I'm only 15 at the moment so I don't really have many plans for the moment, but I do hope to have a car when i'm older. I don't, however, want to spend 1000's of £'s as I don't think I would need something like that :P 

If there was a car that got 80 MPG I would buy it in half a heartbeat. For 10000 dollars would be the smartest investment I would have ever made. Definetly an interesting poll.

Edited by XrosOver
  • Brohoof 1

If I could get any car right now that used gasoline and had good milage, it probably would be a Ford Fusion or Focus, or I would just stick with the Ford Explorer my brother and I share.

Electric cars would be good if they're for personal transport or used as a taxi, no heavy hauling uses. They would work great in an urban environment. Hybrids, well I've never been too particular about them, their batteries aren't too environmentally friendly.

If I could get any car right now that used gasoline and had good milage, it probably would be a Ford Fusion or Focus, or I would just stick with the Ford Explorer my brother and I share.

Electric cars would be good if they're for personal transport or used as a taxi, no heavy hauling uses. They would work great in an urban environment. Hybrids, well I've never been too particular about them, their batteries aren't too environmentally friendly.

No batteries here, only High voltage capacitors. This vehicle will be 100% Eco friendly. Thats one of the things about the Prius that I never liked, the batteries are nasty, and it isnt efficient. Not to mention, the Prius looks plain stupid. If I wanted to drive around in a shoe, I would buy a pair of Heelys.

Also, I have a plan for an electric car, but MIT is still working on the technology for it. Its a bit experimental, but they invented what is basically liquid electricity. It is a recyclable electrolyte, so when you drain the power from your battery, you just go to a petrol station, pump out the old electrolyte, and pump new in. Then, the old electrolyte is taken to a facility to be re-energized and recycled. What is brilliant about this solution is that you wouldnt have to change current petrol stations, you would just have to replace the gasoline at the station with this electrolyte. MIT is still working on getting the electrolyte to be easily produced, but the second it comes out and my business is off the ground, I plan to be the first one selling cars to run on it.

• Brohoof 2

No batteries here, only High voltage capacitors. This vehicle will be 100% Eco friendly. Thats one of the things about the Prius that I never liked, the batteries are nasty, and it isnt efficient. Not to mention, the Prius looks plain stupid. If I wanted to drive around in a shoe, I would buy a pair of Heelys.

Also, I have a plan for an electric car, but MIT is still working on the technology for it. Its a bit experimental, but they invented what is basically liquid electricity. It is a recyclable electrolyte, so when you drain the power from your battery, you just go to a petrol station, pump out the old electrolyte, and pump new in. Then, the old electrolyte is taken to a facility to be re-energized and recycled. What is brilliant about this solution is that you wouldnt have to change current petrol stations, you would just have to replace the gasoline at the station with this electrolyte. MIT is still working on getting the electrolyte to be easily produced, but the second it comes out and my business is off the ground, I plan to be the first one selling cars to run on it.

We should be in business together, have any need for someone that is working on a degree or two in the field of Geosciences, specifically GIS?

We should be in business together, have any need for someone that is working on a degree or two in the field of Geosciences, specifically GIS?

Message me, we will talk! Im always looking for areas to expand the empire.

More specifically, Ive been looking for an ideal place to build the empire...

But really message me!

Ignore this, the forum said that my post didn't go through, so I posted again, but then it turned out that it did. So... sorry  'bout that :I

Edited by Driku12

The real problem with electric cars atm is the lack of demand for them rather than technological limitation, the masses tend to hate change unless it's forced onto them.Warren Buffet invested in electric cars and he lost.

The real problem with electric cars atm is the lack of demand for them rather than technological limitation, the masses tend to hate change unless it's forced onto them.Warren Buffet invested in electric cars and he lost.

Warren buffet did not do it the right way. I have a different approach to how to introduce electric cars, and its not to different to how Steve Jobs got people hooked on iPads and iPhones

Warren buffet did not do it the right way. I have a different approach to how to introduce electric cars, and its not to different to how Steve Jobs got people hooked on iPads and iPhones

Endless product placements and showing people with apple products as hip and cool youngsters? don't forget that the oil corporations will fight back as long as oil is privatized and they're already giving the public the image that electric and hybrid car users are gay nerds.

Endless product placements and showing people with apple products as hip and cool youngsters? don't forget that the oil corporations will fight back as long as oil is privatized and they're already giving the public the image that electric and hybrid car users are gay nerds.

They should invest in other forms of energy than just oil, broaden their range of consumers, if I were them, I would be planning on accessing Helium-3 in the near future.

They should invest in other forms of energy than just oil, broaden their range of consumers, if I were them, I would be planning on accessing Helium-3 in the near future.

They should* but they won't coz they rather cause more problems to get more profit than help people and the environment for slightly less profit.

There's also the problem with saudi arabia if electric cars took off, the US would no longer have a reason to protect the royal family and they'll fall to the saudi rebels who wants legitimate democracy.The arab lobby and Israel's AIPAC will never allow that to happen.

I dont know about hybrid. But i do have massive respect for diesel power, better mileage, more torque, less co2, And if you have a truck like my friend alex's dad has in the states you can create massive smokeshows, funny story bout that truck. heavily modified 2011 ford f350 dually 1000+horsepower 2500+lbft of tourque blew out the rear end trying to smoke out some kids we saw bullying a 4th grader. we still made it home but the differential had to be locked to drive it. Left axel gears were complteley shredded. I had my dad help put in a one-ton rear end (rear axel built to withstand up to 3000lbft of torque but is only recommended for 2000lbft) after that you could drive up I-70 to breckenridge with the cruise control set to 80mph hauling a 5-ton camping trailer.

TL;DR Diesel power kicks ass!

• Brohoof 1

They should* but they won't coz they rather cause more problems to get more profit than help people and the environment for slightly less profit.

Their loss, makes my ambitions slightly easier then. They'll lose profits if the don't adapt over time.

@@Yourmomsponies, indeed. I'll take combustibles in general over any hybrid or electric car if I needed something with real power for work.

There's also the problem with saudi arabia if electric cars took off, the US would no longer have a reason to protect the royal family and they'll fall to the saudi rebels who wants legitimate democracy.The arab lobby and Israel's AIPAC will never allow that to happen.

Well, if you are concerned about the environment, CO2 production is actually not proven to be a problem.

That, and petrol companies will never die out. Oil is still used for things like Rubber and plastic, which we still need and use.

Switching to Natural rubbers would be better, and is just as abundant, plus renewable since it grows on trees , but that does not appeal to ecofreaks. 

As for the Middle East, we never should have gone there in the first place, but thats not we are discussing right now. More about cars!

Well, if you are concerned about the environment, CO2 production is actually not proven to be a problem.

That, and petrol companies will never die out. Oil is still used for things like Rubber and plastic, which we still need and use.

Switching to Natural rubbers would be better, and is just as abundant, plus renewable since it grows on trees , but that does not appeal to ecofreaks. 

As for the Middle East, we never should have gone there in the first place, but thats not we are discussing right now. More about cars!

It's related as long as money gets people elected in America and those countries have lots of money they spend on lobbying and funding campaigns, politics and economics are always intertwined .

CO2 production isn't a problem but the oil drilling and transportation is a serious environmental hazard, the creation and use of plastic is another big problem with plastics ending up dumped into the ocean.British Petroleum oil spill caused massive environmental damage which harms humans as well and they made it worse by spraying dispersant agents.

"Two years ago, the BP Horizon Deepwater released five million barrels of crude into the Gulf over three months. BP subsequently released two million gallons of a dispersant called Corexit to break up the oil.

Ingredients of dispersants are kept secret under competitive trade laws, but one chemical found in Corexit — 2-butoxyethanol — can cause nausea, diarrhea, headache, dizziness and lightheadedness as well as damage to liver, kidneys and reproductive system.

Edited by khaine21x3

It's related as long as money gets people elected in America and those countries have lots of money they spend on lobbying and funding campaigns, politics and economics are always intertwined .

CO2 production isn't a problem but the oil drilling and transportation is a serious environmental hazard, the creation and use of plastic is another big problem with plastics ending up dumped into the ocean.British Petroleum oil spill caused massive environmental damage which harms humans as well and they made it worse by spraying dispersant agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxNqzAHGXvs

Drilling could be done a bit better, however the current systems are the most advanced technologies people have made. Not to mention, there are 5 backups for everything to make sure those systems are safe, so a spill is a very rare occurrence. When it comes to drilling, you just cant be BP, they screw up a lot (get it, screw up? Because its a drill? :P). 

We do need to work on waste management, and it has gotten better over the last decade, but there are still a few leaks to fix up. Most of the regulation is working however. Law suits make for fast acting cleanup

A lot of vehicles made over the past 10 years or so could do much more than they are still letting vehicles do. It's mostly in the computers and every vehicle is programmed to only allow a certain mileage. My cousin can get 50mpg in his 1ton, crew cab, long bed, Cummins Ram and his average is in the 30s since he is not light on the petal. We were flat up told that the PT Cruiser my mom use to own was regulated and could have been getting 40mpg+ easily rather than the 20 it got. My old '91 Jeep Comanche 4x4 4.0L would get 25 averaged, modern mid-size trucks can only just start to claim they get that but most have been discontinued now (in the US anyways) since the full-size engines were advanced but not the aging mid-sizes. The companies are just milking the "mpg race" for as long as they can, especially here in the US.

Diesel needs to become much more dominant here in the states but overall we need to stop using current fuels. I've seen the stuff about cars that run off water or air, but these innovations either get blocked (by oil companies and auto makers) from ever seeing light or they are nothing more than tech demos that need to be refined much more before they could be viable. Batteries are not a solution either until they become much much more efficient and not so quick to need charged/replaced and until they are able to hold a charge for much longer while only taking a short while to fully charge. Hybrids are not a solution in my mind either because we should be moving away from gas and diesel entirely and a dual powertrain that is only efficient if used as a town cruiser for a very limited number of miles is no good.

We need more forward thinking, privately owned companies like Tesla to step up and start putting real pressure on the main auto makers. These companies make actual breakthroughs in mileage and do it with a car that looks good rather than some weird box wedge thing with wheels. What happens over seas has little effect here because of the EPA and because of that even foreign brands are right there with the big three in the states.

Until then I will stick with my 40yr old beast because it is extremely reliable and looks good, even if it does only get 10mpg. Plus other than fuel and extremely cheap insurance, it doesn't cost me and arm and a leg in monthly payments.

TL:DR - Current fuel and solutions are bad, need more pressure to step things up

Edited by Puddlejumper