Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can ponies use utensils?

DoctorWhovian1902

This is a weird issue, because most of what they eat doesn't really need utensils.  Grass and flowers and apples and carrots and the like don't really require utensils.  But when you get into salads or things like that in fics it's an odd issue.  I'd like to think they can.  Like it's just one of those things that can't be explained with physics.

In the show Veggietales, for example, they could hold things and they didn't have arms!  haha

• Brohoof 1

That's a very interesting question, because on one hand I'd say no, since they hold most things with their mouths, which wouldn't allow them to hold a utensil and eat simultaneously, but at the same time they do appear to have utensils, which would be an odd thing for them to have just for unicorns.

I feel like pinkie holds a fork at some point in the show, although I can't think of when. Regardless, the logical answer is that they probably could but they would most likely need to use both front hooves to hold it, which would be difficult and they would probably choose not to.

Hey, they are ponies in the magical land of Equestria! They can do anything they want. *he said in a nice, and humorous matter* 

But yeah... I always get kind of confused with the logic.

• Brohoof 1

While unicorns probably could, they don't really need to. Though I think there were forks and spoons and such in Becoming Popular when Rarity was choosing what to eat. Not sure though.

So, probably not. But it's a fan fic. So if it works, do it.

The Powerpuff Girls don't have fingers either, but they were able to pick up everyday items as easily as people with fingers. 

There are other instances of ponies mysteriously holding objects with just a hoof, but the only one that comes to mind is Applejack when she holds three sticks up to roast marshmallows. 

• Brohoof 1

The leading scientists in Equestria have devised a new kind of silverware that sticks to a pony's hoof when he/she touches it, using a special magic adhesive. Now everypony can enjoy acting civilized and using silverware. Call now, and you'll get 2 sets of magic silverware for just 300 bits! But wait! If you call within the next 30 seconds, well double the offer! That's right, double! You'll get 4 sets for just 600 bits! Call now!

Subject to taxes and shipping and handling. Must be 18 years or older to order. We accept most major credit cards.

• Brohoof 3

Hm. Well that is a bit interesting. I mean I know Unicorns can, and I'm pretty sure Pegasi can to(Because they have held stuff in their hoofs while keeping themselves from falling with their wings) But Earth ponies really can't use the utensils to eat.

However to be fair they don't really ever have to use utensils being vegetarians and all. Technically all the pony's can hold utensils, but I don't think earth ponies can eat with them.

However Unicorns and Pegasi should be able to.

Since ponies normally eat hay and vegetation, utensils aren't really necessary. Maybe the snooty unicorns in Canterlot would use them, but otherwise it's not really worth it/possible.

Well they also do eat things like cake and pie, which would be a mess to eat without utensils.  And Rarity is shown at least once having eggs for breakfast, which would also be difficult to eat just straight off the plate.

• Brohoof 1