Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria and virtual reality

Zacharias

Virtual Reality  

92 users have voted

1. 1. If a perfect virtual reality machine came around (offering any world to be in, even Equestria), how often would you use it?

• Not too much, I have better things to do
    • Every once in a while
    • Every day
    • For most of the day
    • I'D TOTALLY MOVE IN MY VIRTUAL WORLD FOREVER

I had this idea for a few days, and I'd really love to read your opinions on this! :P

If a perfectly "real" virtual rality simulator was ever built that stimulates your nervous system so that you literally feel everything and anything you experience in the virtual world (well, maybe not death...), how much would you use it?

Especially if it was capable of creating any kind of world for you and put you in any kind of body you desire? YES, even a pony in Equestria.

You could literally do anything and everything would look and feel realistic (of course it would look like the show but in "first person")

What would you do? Would hang out with your favourite ponies? (that's kind of ridiculous to ask though cause you're all going to say YES anyway :lol: )

I'd probably try to hang out with Twi and Spike and learn about all kinds of cr*p together. But only after having tasted the best of what the Sugarcube Corner has to offer haha, yummy!

Edited by Zacharias
  • Brohoof 1

I would be deathly afraid to use such a device, mostly because I'm afraid that I would enjoy it.  While that might not seem to make sense, it makes sense to myself.  I tend to become overly obsessive with things that I enjoy and I imagine that such an amazing device would become quite addictive.  Therefore, I would avoid this device like the plague.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm, I would not like the feel of it, because the entire time I would be in the simulator, I would know that my existence in this fake Equestria is a lie. It would not be the real, wholesome deal. If it was an actual Equestria, and not a device, I would go. But as like I voted in the poll, I would go once in a while, as it could be fun, and I would use it on special occasions.

• Brohoof 5

In all honesty, I would just use it every once in a while due to it just being some kind of man made machine, I would use it for fun but also as a means to sleep :P.

I.e. at night I turn myself into a pony and totally cuddle with Princess Luna :3

• Brohoof 1

There's actually a really good webcomic that explores this situation somewhat.  This plot detail is a major plot twist, so I'll put the rest of this under spoiler tags.

The comic is called Guilded Age.  For the first 8 chapters, it is your typical fantasy adventure (and a very well written one at that.  Then in chapter 9, it is revealed that it is actually a virtual world which the creator can't get them out of.  I'd recommend a read of it, as, like I said, it is very well written.

Holodeck.jpg

It'd be like the holodeck from the famous Star Trek: The Next Generation. Star Trek: Voyager has programs called holo-stories in their holodecks that allow to actually act out and be a part of whichever story you select and program the place to be. It's used for recreational purposes, so if you get too attached to it, you need to be careful as it could twist your sense of reality. The thought of a virtual reality Equestria seems astoundingly exciting, however.

• Brohoof 2

Becoming a pony and hanging with fluttershy is my second option whenever I get bored of my first one.

MY first one however involves anime, frogs, aliens, blood, and a whole lot of other evil/good stuff. That's why its my first option.

I was actually writing some fanfic about some non brony kid in the future who gets locked in some VR that bases itself on Equestria.

The issue with virtual reality is that it simply is virtual. We are still waaaays away from having truly realistic looking graphics and as far as AI goes I don't think we will have something actually capable of thinking and reacting just like a human for years. Even the most advanced chatbots fail at some point or another to live up to the crazy way we think. We don't even know 100% about our own minds so until I see that I don't think we will get a replica anytime soon.

That being said, this entire thing would be great to muck around in. The first chance I get I would totally jump in one of these things and DESTROY I mean, have fun in Equestria! Besides, if we have people who play videogames 24/7 and that's somehow acceptable I don't see why being in a VR 24/7 wouldn't.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna add on to my original post that I would use it every so often but occasionally extending my time in there

Eventually, I just MIGHT move in but here is another problem

What if we were being watched by the people outside of thiss virtual reality?

Would you want to do this then?

I know I wouldn't :unsure:

Lol I'd totally move into my virtual world for ever. I should probably stop occasionally just so I can eat/drink/dostuff that are absolutely necessary for living.

YOU

LITTLE

*clears throat*

ilu now

so much

becuz you would stay in that virtual world

FOREVER.

uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu~

• Brohoof 2

And what is the issue with this proposed addiction?

I would love to be addicted to life (albeit, a virtual [yet practically real] one).

The key words are 'practically real'.  That means that it is not real.  While in this simulator, do you know this fact?  Are you aware that the life you currently exist in is not the truth?  If that is true I imagine that this would bring a sort of feel of emptiness.  If you are not aware, what happens when you inevitably leave the simulation?  Again, I would imagine a sensation that everything you just experienced is was a lie and a feeling of emptiness.

If the above theories are correct, then there would be a choice: do you reject reality in favor of this better, but ultimately non-existant universe or do you continue on with your not-quite-as-good but real life?

I would really like to go there (at least for once =D). That would be great, and yes, I would spend time with my favorite pony all day :) And not only, I would go to others too =D I like 'em all ;p

Btw, it's a great idea =D

Edited by Flutty

Virtual...reality...Equestria?...

YES PLEASE

I wanna go hang out with the mane 6 and do lots of awesome fun stuff!!!! :3

And then I can hang out with Dashie and omg that would be so amazing  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Let's assume a user is aware of the simulation.

This is comparable to many forms of entertainment, especially video games. It is escapism, and as I previously stated:

"In this scenario, as reality is indistinguishable from simulation, I would venture to propose the label of "fake" arbitrary. Anyone who already indulges in escapism (such as myself) is familiar with the merits of fiction, regardless of its apparent fraudulence."

I feel no such emptiness while playing games, watching movies, or anything of that nature.

---

Let's assume a user is unaware of the simulation.

This likens to a dream. Upon waking, a user realizes that none of his experiences were real. While I admit that great dreams depress me, it is only because I cannot return to them. I love dreams (they are as close as I can come to virtual reality), and given the chance to inhabit them perpetually (and with direct control, too!), I would take advantage of the opportunity immediately.

---

As to your question, since I frequently partake in escapism and immensely relish dreams, yes, I would choose to reject reality in favor of a superior alternative.

Hm...

I applaud your argumentative skills.  I, too, am a fan of escapist fiction.  When a book ends or the story of a game is complete, there is a slight feeling of regret, but ultimately it can be dealt with.  I hadn't really realized the connection between such forms of media and this simulation device.  I still stand by my earlier statement of avoiding the device (I don't know, it just seems a little 'too perfect' which I guess sort of scares me) but I also see where you're coming from.

Well a virtual reality would be a pretty epic thing to have, however the one things thats always worried me about that type of thing is the effects it may have on people.

I'm actually somewhat afraid to try these type of technology whenever it comes out, due to the fact that it may end up defected at first with some fatal errors that could make you trapped, or harm you mentally or physically, or even cause death.

So after I truly felt it was safe, then maybe I'd try it once and a while, but I wouldn't wanna live in it. I want to have my regular life to.

I answered both "every once in a while" as well as "I'D TOTALLY MOVE IN MY VIRTUAL WORLD FOREVER", because these are the only two possible ways I could see myself using this. Either I will use it responsibly and visit maybe once or twice a week tops, or I will go all-in and never leave. It's either one or the other. I know my will power would probably crumble pretty quickly in such a situation.

My bet is on the latter, as I would assume would happen to most people. One idea that a lot of futurists put forward is that eventually humans will just naturally migrate to mind-uploaded virtual worlds when technology like this becomes available, and for pretty much that reason - Everyone would be able to live out their ultimate fantasies.

My fantasy would be spending the days flying with Dashie and the nights blasting out the wubs with Vinyl Scratch on the turntable. I mean, who wouldn't want to do that? Even some of the worst days of doing that on Equestria would be better than some of the good days in regular reality.

Edited by StratoPegasus

I would love this. I could pretty much live however i wanted, in any universe. Things that come to mind are Star Trek, Doctor Who, MLP(of course), Pokemon, Harry Potter, and anything else you could think of.

I wonder if you could get hurt, or if you could turn that off, like in a holodeck.

I kinda imagined it like, you have to set a timer on it before you enter, and once the amount of time passes, it turns off and you're back to normal. Since it wouldn't interact with your brain directly, it wouldn't be able to alter your memories or anything, especially because of the endless possible connections between neurons and everyone's neural network is unique in some way. But even if something like this ever becomes real, it's probably going to be used in the military for trainings.

I could definitely see this being used for military training as Zacharias said. But for me, it would be every once in a while. It would be neat at first, but then it would just become something to do when I'm in the mood for it. It would lose it's appeal after a time. Of course, if its anything like the holodeck from Star Trek: The Next Generation, then I would probably use it more often. 

Bah! Still will go there. Just like an anime called SAO then. My friends really like that anime.

By the way, stop wondering guys. Lets make it real. Seriously, a technology like that is very possible to make. :lol:

• Brohoof 1