Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do we use the term closet brony

TheMarkz0ne

I'm not ashamed to like the show, but I'm afraid that my reputation at school would be destroyed if people found out. And no, it's not implying that I'm ashamed to like the show. After all, it's just a show. It's not some cult or huge religion that I need everyone to know that I'm a part of.

Catch my drift?

I don't give a damn about my reputation, living in the past, it's a new generation, love to do what you want to do, well that's what I'm gonna do.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like the term either and just sounds wrong :I. It just describes one who does not want others to know that they like the show. They are to wrapped up in what others will think of them, thus this term arose. 

That, my friend, is not a great way to look at this. People aren't too wrapped up in what people will think of them (I'll admit some are) but there are those who, in admitting to being a brony, could easily be "broken" by the taunts and such that come afterward. Sure, it's an act of not allowing people to see you fully, but some people can't take the bullying that goes on. This world is messed up in ways that people can't even show who they really are, and that saddens me. Being a Closet Brony isn't something that means they are ashamed or care what others think, for some it's the act of trying to keep from being bullied everyday for something that you shouldn't be bullied for. I can see where you are coming from, but I can also say I took most of that myself when I came out and it hurt a lot. It pushes over but before that people can break you. 

I just wanted to thank you for a very insightful comment. This is exactly how I feel about it. I find it pretty much distasteful to compare admitting that you like a 22 minute CARTOON, to the emotional life changing trauma entailed by "Coming out" as gay or lesbian.

Ah but its using the terminology rather than comparing the experience. The terminology is accurate, just because the term 'coming out' as been associated with being homosexual doesn't mean it has to be forever attached to it. Terms and words change meaning and get used for different things over time, right now coming out predominantly is used for revealing homosexuality but it wasn't always the case and won't stay that way.

I'm not belittling the experience or life changing effects of revealing homosexuality at all but the term will change over time and is perfect for the describing the revealing of a secret be it being a brony (bronism?), homosexual etc.

Well, don't hate people who are CBs, and don't hate the term. In a world of prejudice, a lot of people see MLP as a girl-only show, therefore causing male fans of the show to mostly hide their contribution to the fandom. I'm also sure that the term didn't really come from anywhere, just that the term "closet" or "being in the closet" referred to people who hid their homosexuality (although, sexual orientation has nothing to do with being a closet brony, just that the term "closet" came into play for us when we hid it).

No reason to hate the term. People just like to keep to themselves when they know they might get made fun of, and I know that doing something just because you might get picked on isn't really a good thing, it kinda doesn't matter, because hiding the fact that you like a show such as MLP doesn't affect anyone, so think nothing of it.  :)

Ah but its using the terminology rather than comparing the experience. The terminology is accurate, just because the term 'coming out' as been associated with being homosexual doesn't mean it has to be forever attached to it. Terms and words change meaning and get used for different things over time, right now coming out predominantly is used for revealing homosexuality but it wasn't always the case and won't stay that way.

I'm not belittling the experience or life changing effects of revealing homosexuality at all but the term will change over time and is perfect for the describing the revealing of a secret be it being a brony (bronism?), homosexual etc.

What about the literally hundreds of posts along the lines of "I don't know what I'll do if anyone finds out" or "My parents will freak if they know I'm a Brony". It's getting downright stupid. It's just a cartoon. Nobody actually cares if you watch it. It links in with my questioning why so many Bronies insist that they have to make others like the show. They brought the whole "Brony Shame" thing on themselves by making people think there's something wrong with them due to they way they cram the show down everyone's throat. No other TV show has fans doing this.

What about the literally hundreds of posts along the lines of "I don't know what I'll do if anyone finds out" or "My parents will freak if they know I'm a Brony". It's getting downright stupid. It's just a cartoon. Nobody actually cares if you watch it. It links in with my questioning why so many Bronies insist that they have to make others like the show. They brought the whole "Brony Shame" thing on themselves by making people think there's something wrong with them due to they way they cram the show down everyone's throat. No other TV show has fans doing this.

Oh agreed, it's a pet hate of mine when people shove anything in someone's face uninvited.

Well I'm not in their position and this is a sweeping generalisation (sorry for that), but most of those are people who are still having to deal with peer pressure etc high school students and the like. And at that time it feels like every minor insult cuts deep because, let's face it hormones going nuts does that.

The older members or those free of that type of situation can look at this and say exactly what you've said. But we've either been through it already or avoided it completely.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

Oh agreed, it's a pet hate of mine when people shove anything in someone's face uninvited.

Well I'm not in their position and this is a sweeping generalisation (sorry for that), but most of those are people who are still having to deal with peer pressure etc high school students and the like. And at that time it feels like every minor insult cuts deep because, let's face it hormones going nuts does that.

The older members or those free of that type of situation can look at this and say exactly what you've said. But we've either been through it already or avoided it completely.

I do have to admit it. As an older (thirty-four in two days, send me lots of birthday presents!) female fan, no hint of any scandal touches me. I can buy what I want and wear what I want and nobody raises an eyebrow. Although I don't have any pony clothes.  

I do have to admit it. As an older (thirty-four in two days, send me lots of birthday presents!) female fan, no hint of any scandal touches me. I can buy what I want and wear what I want and nobody raises an eyebrow. Although I don't have any pony clothes.  

Well happy birthday to you in two days :D

The worst I've got is my friend calling me knob for wearing a t shirt with a pony on it, and even then it took him a while to realise it was a pony because it's a subtle print.

Remember we have age and stubbornness on our side now. The younger ones don't have the experience of dealing with crap that we do yet.

I just wanted to thank you for a very insightful comment. This is exactly how I feel about it. I find it pretty much distasteful to compare admitting that you like a 22 minute CARTOON, to the emotional life changing trauma entailed by "Coming out" as gay or lesbian.   

I'm getting a lot of odd praise for this. Like, ew, you bolded your statement in blue for emphasis, even. Oh, I see you do that for every message.

Well, I'm still kind of a hateful, bigoted hater who hates (probably even hypocritical about it as well). Even though I did sign an anti-Uganda Kill the Gays bill thing from this Change.org spam I got from liberal Yahoo. Because even evil has standards.

I mean, I've unfriended pretty much my entire family on Facebook because of how much GLBT... actually nowadays they call it LGBT(TIQ?2SA), messages they have on my wall.. actually guess I just find Facebook status updates and posts to be boring in general.

I just feel as if I have somehow getting unjust praise... Also... you are up late at nigh/very early morning, cuteycindyhoney, and in the same time zone as me!

Teeeechnically, the term is an extension of the older phrase 'Skeleton in a Closet' meaning a shameful secret. It's an Americanization of the 'Skeleton in a Cupboard' British phrase that's even older. Using it as part of 'Closet Brony' brings it back full circle.

Not saying this is in any way relevant to your point. I'm just being persnickety for some reason. :mellow:

Oh, yeah, I remember that old idiom now. You have a point there.

Well when I use it it's because use it in the same way that some people are 'closet gays' etc. because fatten people use terms like 'coming out' etc, its an easy analogy to make. Besides what other term can be used for someone into the show but is afraid of showing it?

I don't know what this means. Because fatten people?

Oh, also I am a person who actively boycotts Kraft Foods and General Mills solely because of that Facebook post with the six-color Oreo cookie. (I have refused to eat my mother's cheesecake solely because it contained an Oreo crust, but couldn't bring myself to explain why I didn't feel like it... even though it was not something I personally purchased, it is kind of a matter of principle) So I'm still, like, you know. Well, people shouldn't eat the type of krap food products by Kraft and General Mills. That type of food is highly processed. That thing about Cheerios being "heart food" is a bunch of propagandist krap. So I am really not the proper person to represent gay and lesbian peopl-... well maybe some people, no matter what their sexuality, don't like it when big ol' food corporations get all political and are insulted by the measure.

Edited by GuillermoGage

I don't know what this means. Because fatten people? Oh, also I am a person who actively boycotts Kraft Foods and General Mills solely because of that Facebook post with the six-color Oreo cookie. (I have refused to eat my mother's cheesecake solely because it contained an Oreo crust, but couldn't bring myself to explain why I didn't feel like it... even though it was not something I personally purchased, it is kind of a matter of principle) So I'm still, like, you know. Well, people shouldn't eat the type of krap food products by Kraft and General Mills. That type of food is highly processed. That thing about Cheerios being "heart food" is a bunch of propagandist krap. So I am really not the proper person to represent gay and lesbian peopl-... well maybe some people, no matter what their sexuality, don't like it when big ol' food corporations get all political and are insulted by the measure.

Ignore that 'fatten people' bit, my ipad decided that the word often should be fatten and by the time I realised I'd already been quoted.

Lol I also boycott Kraft for a number of reasons :P

Edited by Fridge

I really dislike the phrase because it is a comparison to homosexuals in the closet.

No, we are not in the same situation, and I say that as a generally conservative-ish person. Give credit of legit hardship of keeping a secret where it is due. We male fans of this television cartoon are not going through the same thing as that.

I agree with you on this point. However, it is partially comparable to the situation of gays and lesbians in that a large part of ignorant society will look down on them for their beliefs. It's definitely not on the same level, but it's this fear of rejection that typically keeps large numbers of both groups "in the closet."

This is something I feel strongly about. Because I feel as if it's uneeded in the community. When you refer to someone as a closet brony, it's implying that they're ashamed of liking the show. They shouldn't be ashamed regardless, but you get the point. I am just asking why is the term around? where did it come from? Do you know closet bronies? I was once a closet case myself. But over time I jusrt began to hate the term.

As to where it came from I'm uncertain. What I do know though is that it's not a term to be taken offendedly. Many people have different opinions on it and I do agree it does sound a little insulting to others. It's just one of those "Guilty Pleasure" moments.

When you really enjoy something, but you're afraid of how others may judge you for it. I can understand it being difficult for men really. I'm a woman and my father doesn't even like me watching MLP at 22 years of age. I don't think there would be a better term to describe someone in the nature.

I agree with you on this point. However, it is partially comparable to the situation of gays and lesbians in that a large part of ignorant society will look down on them for their beliefs. It's definitely not on the same level, but it's this fear of rejection that typically keeps large numbers of both groups "in the closet."

At least you didn't brohoof me on that, it was starting to get a it embarrassing. I do totally acknowledge that people are getting thoroughly harassed just for liking a totally normal and mainstream cartoon, so it is a form of oppression, just like being unkind to any other person with a harmless hobby is oppression.

What about secretly Brony?

the phrase "skeletons in the closet" actually makes it more obvious that people who are not ashamed should not use "closet". Maybe gays shouldn't use it as well,because it implies something way more morbid. Unless the gay person is actually hiding someone's dead bones.

Remember we have age and stubbornness on our side now. The younger ones don't have the experience of dealing with crap that we do yet.

False. I admit I'm only 15 and that's partly true, but it's also true that I've dealt with more than my generous share of crap and douchery already. It doesn't depend that much on how old you are, it's WHO the person is that matters. Thankfully, I've learned to NGAF because of the fact that I'm a troll, and you have to NGAF to be a good troll. You're right in the way that many do GAF and can't deal with the stress. Honestly a lot of people my age and younger (and some that are older) are too naive or ignorant to see how the world is and to know the truth of things. People learn their own life lessons at their own rate, it's just how it is.

Also, you're right when you say experience matters, although not as much as the person who goes through it.

Edited by grimthedevilish123

False. I admit I'm only 15 and that's partly true, but it's also true that I've dealt with more than my generous share of crap and douchery already. It doesn't depend that much on how old you are, it's WHO the person is that matters. Thankfully, I've learned to NGAF because of the fact that I'm a troll, and you have to NGAF to be a good troll. You're right in the way that many do GAF and can't deal with the stress. Honestly a lot of people my age and younger (and some that are older) are too naive or ignorant to see how the world is and to know the truth of things. People learn their own life lessons at their own rate, it's just how it is.

Also, you're right when you say experience matters, although not as much as the person who goes through it.

I'll admit it was a sweeping statement that applies to the majority. But you can't deny that age does make you somewhat more resilient due to experience.

Of course the who of it matters. When I was younger I had plenty of trouble come my way because of my music tastes, it even came to violence a few times.

But yes your right everyone learns at a different rate and experiences things differently.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1