Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of closet bronies?

QuickWit

It really depends on the situation for someone to decide to be a closet brony.  I respect people's decision to be closet if they decide to be.  I do want to come out and be as open as I can about it as nobody in my sitauation will really care but I am still somewhat embarrassed to be a brony and also watch the show a it just still seems a little odd to me.  That being said I havent hid the signs that I am a brony thats the best way to come out I think.  

Edited by alpinefroggy

Well I was just a closet brony till Friday came around so yea, then I told my family, already ordering shirts to wear around plus I already have figurines and what not in my room, they were kind of hidden, but now I don't care. Was I a coward, kind of yes I guess, was I justified in not wanting to tell, sure as hell yes, it is something that someone can take the wrong way and judge you negatively for it. Thankfully I am 21 and out of High School so I kind of realized who really cares anymore, my little bro loves mlp and my mom actually thought it was a good thing, she likes  that I like it. I don't think there is anything wrong with hiding it, though I think most should realize they will probably feel a hell of a lot better being open about it unless they have like a super close minded family to the point where they think you are sick(Which in that case I would totally understand, doubt there are too many though.).

Edited by A. Dazven

here's my story about 1 week-2 weeks ago i told my teacher Mr John Conley about i like mlp fim he said he was fine with and said more power to me.On one case that i don't tell anyone about my secret.I hope every pony enjoy's it.     

Well I don't really have friends but I'm pretty open to what I like. I do have plushies I carry around sometimes because it keeps me comfort and I even take one of my Luna plushies with me in the car (I have two of them). I would be a little afraid to tell anyone on a different side of the family though. My sisters daughter likes MLP so I showed her all my pony pictures on my phone and she liked it.

• Brohoof 1

I have nothing against these fans, because maybe they went through rough times before becoming a brony. I know that I have no right to disrespect them, because I used to be one myself.

I'm going to be blunt, so please don't be TOO offended by this.

"Closet Bronies" annoy me.

I don't think they should be scared or ashamed to admit being a brony.

Just come out and say it. It isn't that difficult.

i have the exact same mindset, its not difficult to come out, the second i started liking the show everyone knew about it xD

none of my friends or anyone around even cared lol it was just a show. in fact a lot of people didnt even know what MLP was. i mean i didnt even know what it was until the beginning of september 2013.

• 6 years later...
On 2014-07-03 at 11:08 AM, TenorSounds said:

Like many have already said, I think that it depends on the personal situation. Most of the time the fact that anyone can even be "in the closet" about MLP annoys me, as I think attributes too much meaning to being a 'brony' in the first place. It irks me that some people treat liking a show about pastel-colored ponies as a sort of 'movement' or something. It just seems pretentious.

THAT BEING SAID, if someone is in a situation where letting someone know they like MLP would put them in physical or emotional diress (bullies, REALLY close-minded parents, etc.) then I can understand not bringing it up or advertising their cartoon preferences. Still, using terms like "in the closet" or "coming out as a brony" will always rub me the wrong way.

Same here.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't imagine it... I "understand it", but for myself, I couldn't keep quiet about MLP for even 2 days after my discovering the show. The fandom isn't nearly as active, but my love and interest are always rekindled, I think if anyone is gonna judge or excommunicate you over a show, especially one this good and ultimately uplifting than imho getting rid of these ppl is a win or blessing in disguise. However I know "some" older folk will immediately make associations that aren't there when it comes to MLP, I'd hate for ppl to lose family support over a show, so "I guess" I see why some with really insecure parents keep quiet, they just want to avoid creating a dialogue about it. My parents had to accept my bronydom, my coworkers(at the time, I still wasn't super social ever at work), but I wore the clothes, traveled to the conventions missing days at a time but ONLY for MLP... But yeah I never "forced MLP" on anyone, but anyone at the time, ESPECIALLY 2013-2018, knew that being around me, meant pony talk, music, apparel, possibly even an episode in the background(one I've probably re-watched a dozen times lol).. being a "closet brony" sounds awful imho lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well I consider myself one even if I don't use the same term. It's just that my coworkers are kind of nosy and judgmental and it's just easier to not bring it up. They don't need to know what my interests are.  Plus, it's not like my coworkers lack things to talk about, they are always rambling about the most niche things.

• 2 weeks later...