Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MelancholicMemory

• 1 month later...
(edited)

What's Favourite Lovecraft Story?

And why shouldn't i finish the following sentence? Hastur, Hastur... Ha-

Trying to answer that question is like having a staring contest with Cthulhu; it can only end in going absolutely insane. They're all so good!

I can say though, that my favorite story in the Cthulhu Mythos not written by Lovecraft himself is definitely "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers.

Edited by MelancholicMemory

No. I've read a bit about them on tvtropes, but I really don't really know much about them. What are they like? Can you recommend one?

Call of Cthulhu is always a classic, though it requires a dedicated group as most RPGs do.

I've played a few or more games of Cthulhutech, which is a really fun sci-fi bent on the classic.

You can technically make a Cthulhu RPG out of any game, so long as you have a DM with a bent for horror, and a dedication to the insanity that is Lovecraftian Lore.

I've actually had the pleasure to witness a Pony game session take on a Cthulhu-based theme, when the DM decided to reveal Discord's 'true' form, in all it's chthonic glory :D

As for what they're like, it depends on the DM and the players. What you really need for a good Cthulhu game, is a descriptive DM with a talent for bringing out the grotesque and the horror in even the most mundane scene. Especially the mundane scenes :)

Edited by Sentienthydra
  • Brohoof 1