movies/tv The Anime Club

PonyEcho

... my boyfriend got me the 2 digimon s1 dvd sets. I love them so far! Great memories!

Ahhhh... Digimon Adventure was such a heartfelt work of art, it was one of the few things I watched growing up that still has significant meaning nowadays. Digimon Adventure 02 wasn't as meaningful but I still somehow love it even more than the first. As for the rest of the series I'm indifferent, I don't know why, but I can't get into the newer stuff.

• Brohoof 1

banner_pinkiepie.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Student of Psychology | Inventor | Gamer | Otaku | Brony | Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist

So I watched the first 2 episodes of Binbougami ga! (I would have watched more if my laptop didn't start to act up dry.png ) and it's pretty funny so far.  I'll definitely finish this one up by the end of this week. 

Yeah Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is my favorite show of this season so far and I think Attack on Titan is going to pick back up for episode 7 onward. I'm also liking Majestic Prince The severing crime edge too as well as Henneko 

AH! I completely forgot about Henneko. I read the manga so I was excited about the anime; how could I forget to watch the anime!? I got catching up to do.

I was thinking about starting The Severing Crime Edge pretty soon. The concept is unusual; I wonder where they'll take it. 

• Brohoof 1

Found the topic for me! A novel idea!

Is there anything good so far in the Spring lineup? I've only seen Red Data Girl, Karnival, and Suisei no Gargantia this past month.

Also, I should list my favorite anime to get it out of the way: Dragon Ball Z, Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Lucky Star

• Brohoof 1

Found the topic for me! A novel idea!

Is there anything good so far in the Spring lineup? I've only seen Red Data Girl, Karnival, and Suisei no Gargantia this past month.

Also, I should list my favorite anime to get it out of the way: Dragon Ball Z, Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Lucky Star

Well you are already watching the best show Spring has to offer (Suisei no Gargantia) but the other good show for this season that I would recommend would be.

Attack on Titan

The Severing Crime Edge

Majestic Prince

​Valrave the Liberator 

And Henneko 

I would also say check out Devil Survivor 2 the animation but i'm starting the find it boring.

my DA http://heavyecho.deviantart.com/ check my stuff out

the Anime Club http://mlpforums.com/topic/48196-the-anime-club/ plz join us

• 2 weeks later...

I finished it up quite a while ago but Binbougami ga! was hilarious. There were plenty of references to other animes in it too; the Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) reference had me dying:

It sucks that some of the references I just didn't recognize though. Momiji is my favorite of the characters. I just find her to be the funniest.

I finished it up quite a while ago but Binbougami ga! was hilarious. There were plenty of references to other animes in it too; the Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) reference had me dying:

It sucks that some of the references I just didn't recognize though. Momiji is my favorite of the characters. I just find her to be the funniest.

XD that's my favorite joke.

It's one of those show that is funny if you don't get the nods and references to other anime but is absolutely hilarious if you do.

• 4 months later...

..How about we try to revive this?

I've been dead for a long time, but I need my anime talk combined with ponies.

I need this; has thou heard my plea?!

• 2 weeks later...

*poke the dead thread with a stick*

if any one wants me to I can revive this thread with a huge wall of entertaining text.

also, I've been gone awhile....... stuff happened....... I met an alien and had to fight in space

Ooh! This thread has been revived. I'm currently watching Fairy Tail, and Attack on Titan at the moment. I'm also re-reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga.

There is an anime con in my state this weekend but I can't go. img-1934523-1-sad.png

Oh well! There's always next year. img-1934523-2-happy.png

Edited by Seibutsu Akuma
  • Brohoof 1

post-8308-0-79770000-1395439789.png

Credit for the signature goes to Kyoshi

So I've been on one hell of a bender of anime so here is what I watch lately

Black Lagoon season 1 and 2 + the OVA Roberta's blood trail- a very dark, action packed adrenalin pumping anime with a f@~k ton of swearing and some crazy bitches that the show would be better off being called Bitches be crazy.

Fate/ Stay night and Fate/Zero- this was more of a rematch for me since I heard about the up and coming Fate/Zero dub and there is going to be a re-make of Fate/Stay night. And I rely rely rely recommend watching Fate/Zero.

Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari and Monogatari second season (which is rely the third)- Man I got addicted to this show despite the fact its more a talking show with very little action but the dialog between the characters is so engaging I didn't realism how much time went by yet the characters were still in the very same room.

also I've been watching some of the season stuff such as Kill la Kill (which I love), Kyoukai no Kanata (which I love) and I'm about to watch the first 3 episodes of Nagi no Asukara

Ooh! This thread has been revived. I'm currently watching Fairy Tail, and Attack on Titan at the moment. I'm also re-reading the Fullmetal Alchemist anime. 

There is an anime con in my state this weekend but I can't go. img-1934523-1-sad.png

Oh well! There's always next year. img-1934523-2-happy.png

O.O ATTACK ON TITAN!!!!!!! so felt like I had to do the since I've been on a huge anime craving since it finished. Not seen Fairy Tail but I hear good things.

What a lovely thread. I've just started getting into anime, my standards were set pretty low when my friend started me off with Lucky Star, which funnily enough I did enjoy, and then Haruhi Suzumiya which showed me how a lovely story can be ruined by fan service but also if you're good at just ignoring it you can actually enjoy it quite a bit.

After that I started on One Piece which was fun to watch.

Thennnnnn I started asking for recommendations for anime and now I've started watching some real great pieces. Finished Madoka Magica and now watching an old Legends of the Galactic Heroes.

I'm the sort of guy who cares about the story and nothing else as I love fully analysing stories after I've read them, taking apart the full story and looking at all the storytelling techniques.

• Brohoof 1

3041807.png

Oh, something anime-related. Wonder why I haven't posted here before...

Anywho, I confess that I'm fairly new to anime, so I can't say too much here. I've been reading more manga than I have watched anime, anyways.

As for anime, the earliest anime I watched with the understanding I was watching an anime was Lucky Star. A really fun, slice-of-life anime that I absolutely loved. Part of the reason I grew to love slice-of-life in the first place. I started Azumanga Daioh, but quit when the English dub didn't sound right to me (compared to the manga, which I admittedly only read the first volume of), and finding the original Japanese dub was hellish work on YouTube, where I originally looked for anime to begin with. Now that I've started going outside of there, I should really try watching it again...

... Oh, and I also started K-on! It was really cute, fairly funny, and I did enjoy it, but I got lazy and stopped after the first episode. I'll get back to it sooner or later.

Most recently, I've found myself reaching the middle of Season 2 of Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai... or Oreimo. It's an anime I SHOULD hate, due to its fairly mature and fairly mean-spirited nature, but for some reason, I just find myself absolutely loving, and keep going back to.

I wish the characters didn't change as much as they did in Season 2 though...

Anywho, yeah, that's all the anime I've watched to date.

... Well, except for Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, which apparently qualifies as an anime movie due to its Japanese origins. But I won't really count it.

• Brohoof 1

post-18790-0-43077600-1386688258.png
Awesome signature made by Tromino.

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/pitch-light-r4599

Want to join a romantic crossover RP to celebrate the Month of Love?: http://mlpforums.com/topic/86811-the-multiversal-matchmaking-corner-romance/

I, uh, never actually got around to finishing Attack on Titan. Everyone's always going crazy about that show and I just kinda fell off at around episode 9... I got a sidetracked by Kinmoza, Genshiken and Gatchaman Crowds (definitely one of my favorites of the season). Plus, I was getting a little fed up with all the cliffhangers. I'll probably go back and finish Attack on Titan after I finish watching Mirai Nikki and maybe Prisma Illya. 

My "to watch" list is getting too long...

• Brohoof 1

@@Fubz, Yeah..... I thing you might need to develop a tolerance for fan service because its even in alot of the even more deeper anime because trust me Haruhi Suzumiya's fan service is nothing compared to some of the other stuff out there in much better shows.

@@Mutemutt,  Yeah I know what you mean about Attack on Titan I stopped around episode 12 and settled for watching my fave 3 shows of that season Free, Gatchaman Crowds and Genshiken  (god I love that show) as well as some other stuff until all the episodes were out.

as for the shows on your to watch list

Mirai Nikki.... I fell kinda bad to not have seen this show but I put the opening for it in my top ten for fave openings blush.png screw it I may just watch it all today.

Also Prisma Illya is a rely cute little treat thats kinda got me into watching all the Type Moon stuff.

Hello hello.

Well I'm wanted to rewatch Madoka Magica and I'm seriously considering writing a full analysis on the story (I lubs me a story). I've done full analysiseses on stories from texts only before- dramas, novels, poems, short stories etc. although nothing from a screen yet. I really want to get to the bottom of it and I feel no one has done so satisfactorily.

Although before I watch it again, do you know where I could get lots of background information on it? Or provide some please?

I guess the biggest obstacle on my analysis will be the visual and audio techniques as I've not tried it before. Also I won't be able to analyse the music lyrics properly like I do with poems because stuff gets muddled in translation.

Sooooo, halp pls with background info please?

(Yes I'm such a nerd for doing this heheh, maybe if I'm good at it I'll do more)

• Brohoof 1

3041807.png

Hello hello.

Well I'm wanted to rewatch Madoka Magica and I'm seriously considering writing a full analysis on the story (I lubs me a story). I've done full analysiseses on stories from texts only before- dramas, novels, poems, short stories etc. although nothing from a screen yet. I really want to get to the bottom of it and I feel no one has done so satisfactorily.

Although before I watch it again, do you know where I could get lots of background information on it? Or provide some please?

I guess the biggest obstacle on my analysis will be the visual and audio techniques as I've not tried it before. Also I won't be able to analyse the music lyrics properly like I do with poems because stuff gets muddled in translation.

Sooooo, halp pls with background info please?

(Yes I'm such a nerd for doing this heheh, maybe if I'm good at it I'll do more)

Well  Madoka Magica has had every piece and core of it analysed by many anime critics as well as interviews with Hajime Ninomae the writer of MM so your best be would to be to compile research notes. also I would recommend that you also learn everything about studio Shaft too. 

Ok so I'm not to sure if y'all are all interested but I'm planing on starting the anime of the week thing back up so we can get back to being the book club with anime. Which mean I'll be looking for any recommendations for anime to be the central talking point for a week.

also if you would like to make a recommendation please shoot me a PM :P

• Brohoof 1

Okie Dokie its time to start being an actual anime club :3

So The anime of the week that shall be the key talking point for this week is....(drum roll)

Sword Art Online 

Airing during the 2011 Autumn season, this Online Fantasy Epic was brought to us by the Studio A-1 Pictures and was Directed by Tomohiko Ito.

Ok so A-1 had a huge budget with this show and they spent every penny to make this anime look amazing especially the boss battle which are personally the best part of SAO for me..... outside the fact that Yuki Kajiure did the OST for the show so...............yeah eargasams all the way and that is as far as I shall go for now.

http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/sword-art-online  <- you can view the show subb here via crunchyroll and the dubbed version of episodes 1-13 somewhere.

Have Fun

Ah Sword Art Online, I've heard this is pretty good. Or at least the first half is. I guess I'll check it out and see what happens (I'll squeeze in some time between Kyousougiga and Kill la Kill) . I'm pretty sure it will be good; it seems like all the light novel to anime adaptations are good (even if I only read a little bit of the fan translation for Sword Art Online).

Edited by Mutemutt

Yey club time :3

And something I've actually watched ^-^

Ok, so I checked out the first 3 episodes (my standard yay or nay test) and I didn't really like it P: I guess on the surface the animation and action is quite nice. It's a pretty imaginative idea and the scenario created was excellent. Too bad they did a poor job of the story in my opinion. I just felt the story had a weird pace and the relationships between characters were a bit hazy.  I haven't seen it in a month so I don't remember any names - not that I remember the names too greatly anyway xD

Probably the thing that was annoying me the most was that they established a relationship between the main guy and the girl from the new guild he joins. So we're building on this relationship for an episode and then she dies. Alrighty~ What really annoyed me though is that they spent the last five minutes of the episode trying to evoke sad feeling from the viewers when we don't actually care about that character or their relationship (mainly because they assume the relationship through short clips and timeskips rather than showing it). Rather what they should've done is focused on the impact it had on him.

Sorry if I'm innacurate, I've not watched it in a while.

Yeah so for me it sort of felt like "Yeah! Cool guy with sword in a video game. Totally tubular dude. Wow he fights and gets the girls o-o awesome, I wish I could be in that situation. But wait! You may be stuck in here forevers and you can die :I such philosiphy, what would one do?"

I guess if you're not just into stories when looking into anime it'd be interesting to watch. I tend to just look at that. I wish they payed even a little more attention to the story, if they'd done that - I would've loved it :U I don't mind a mediocre story, this one just annoyed me hehe.

If the story does get much better over time, please do tell me. I might consider re-watching it then, I was totally hooked when he said LINK STARTU at the beginning.

• Brohoof 2

3041807.png

Got a few episodes in and just kind've fell out of it.  I don't, it's just so...cliqued. 

The plot is just a rehash of other shows, and it doesn't help the plot with cliqued characters that not only fit their "person-type" but also can do things that just aren't in MMO's (like be a bada** without actually doing what you should do in an MMO to get strong.  Plus, having character architypes do flip flops (watch the 'heroine') is just plain stupid. Hope this wan't spoilerific

Idk, it just hasn't sat well with me, and I overall felt like I was watching a mix-up of things from other animes....

In terms of this genre involving getting sucked into games, Log Horizon is turning out to be better for my optical enjoyment. Don't plan on finishing SAO or attempt to rewatch....

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

"In fire iron is born, by fire it is tamed"

@@Fubz,

Yeah when I first ran SAO though the first 3 episodes test my first thought was "Anime of the year" Episode 1 being a good introduction and setting out the theme of the show, Episode 2 gave people a taste of high quality that was displayed in the boss battles and my god that sound track is amazing, and Episode 3 gave the emotional impact of death and lose and made the whole point of "If you die in the game you die in real life weight (tho I would have liked it to have a scene that showed their deaths in the real world.

So yeah a great start... then episode 4 came along and I was like "hmmmm a token loli and Kirito is suppose to be a self insert character" meh a minor thing I can live with.

Episode 5.... "rely you going to turn Asuna from this new gamer who just happens to have a natural talent for badass-ness and turn her into a f~~king Tsundre! also I don't give a shit about your CSI:SAO"

and after that I start to slowly lose my shit as we get a 2 year time skip, a forced romance, forced parenthood, Kirito being the f~~king chosen one and then F~~K if it wasn't for the production and music quality I would drop this show like the massive turd that it is.

and breath..."phew well at least it's over... Oh wait its only half way and we have to add a big breasted (and shes still in middle school) sister with a brother complex to add to the herem and a main villain that can only be described as a pedo fairy."......... and I then proceed to blow a fuse

@@Treble Bolt,

Yeah If there's one thing I will thank SAO for, is that its now allowing better shows like Log Horizon with the same premise to be green lighted.

Also yeah Log Horizon is doing everything SAO tried to do and hitting it out of the park.

• Brohoof 2

@@Fubz,

Yeah when I first ran SAO though the first 3 episodes test my first thought was "Anime of the year" Episode 1 being a good introduction and setting out the theme of the show, Episode 2 gave people a taste of high quality that was displayed in the boss battles and my god that sound track is amazing, and Episode 3 gave the emotional impact of death and lose and made the whole point of "If you die in the game you die in real life weight (tho I would have liked it to have a scene that showed their deaths in the real world.

So yeah a great start... then episode 4 came along and I was like "hmmmm a token loli and Kirito is suppose to be a self insert character" meh a minor thing I can live with.

Episode 5.... "rely you going to turn Asuna from this new gamer who just happens to have a natural talent for badass-ness and turn her into a f~~king Tsundre! also I don't give a shit about your CSI:SAO"

and after that I start to slowly lose my shit as we get a 2 year time skip, a forced romance, forced parenthood, Kirito being the f~~king chosen one and then F~~K if it wasn't for the production and music quality I would drop this show like the massive turd that it is.

and breath..."phew well at least it's over... Oh wait its only half way and we have to add a big breasted (and shes still in middle school) sister with a brother complex to add to the herem and a main villain that can only be described as a pedo fairy."......... and I then proceed to blow a fuse

Ok then xD well thanks for that. I'll be sure not to watch it then. That's probably my most hated thing in a story, when they've got a good character going and completely ruin it through something petty (usually fan service, which then leads to more and more, booooooo).

But again, yeah, a big problem about the story of this anime was that they assume things to have happened with a timeskip rather than actually showing it so you do not feel for the characters at all as you've not been through their struggles and the development of relationships.

There were only 2 ways around it really, stretch the anime out completely with a hundred or so episodes or instead of having 100 levels to ascend, there should be like 10 or 15 and set it in a shorter time period.

I guess this is a really good example of an amazing anime on the surface but with no real depth to it. And from a story's perspective, a good example of why you should show, not tell.

I'd like to see why this gets a lot of praise though. I don't like being so negative >.<

• Brohoof 1

3041807.png

(edited)

Ok then xD well thanks for that. I'll be sure not to watch it then. That's probably my most hated thing in a story, when they've got a good character going and completely ruin it through something petty (usually fan service, which then leads to more and more, booooooo).

But again, yeah, a big problem about the story of this anime was that they assume things to have happened with a timeskip rather than actually showing it so you do not feel for the characters at all as you've not been through their struggles and the development of relationships.

There were only 2 ways around it really, stretch the anime out completely with a hundred or so episodes or instead of having 100 levels to ascend, there should be like 10 or 15 and set it in a shorter time period.

I guess this is a really good example of an amazing anime on the surface but with no real depth to it. And from a story's perspective, a good example of why you should show, not tell.

I'd like to see why this gets a lot of praise though. I don't like being so negative >.<

Yeah I agree if episodes 1-13 were stretched to 25 episodes and the second half was scraped completely, SAO would have been a much better show.

also I may have been two hard on it because I actually do enjoy the first half as something I can just sit back with some junk food and enjoy for what it is. Junk Food for Otaku who also enjoy MMO's. Hell I have re-watched this so 3 times now and still take enjoyment out of it out side of the reviewer part of my brain which likes to analyze the crap out of things and has been spoiled by more deeper anime.

Also gonna make this clear..... DO NOT WATCH THE SECOND HALF OF SAO!! It is a horrable horrable and borderline sexist mess.

Also Also ;A; I like fan service. Or more so I'm not bothered by it..... Unless its in moe

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

So today I went and watch all of both Clannad and Clannad After Story with my brick of a heart and.....

Clannad- didn't make me cry :P

Clannad After Story-sad.png sad.png sad.png sad.png sad.png  

Yeah..... I guess I'm not so emotionally death after all.