Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

One thing that I can imagine about Twiley having longer life than the other Mane 6 is just like Simon (or Viral, if she's immortal) in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Kamina died but Simon finally was able to move on, then later the other guys including the entertaining twins died, followed by Kittan, and Simon managed to accept their passings -- just like Viral who had to accept the deaths of his superiors which included his crush/someone he admired as one of his superiors and also the death of The Spiral King himself (who was supposed to be immortal).

Now, coming back to the MLP story -- yes, I know Twiley will be able to handle her friends' passings just like Simon and Viral, because she's a strong-willed alicorn, after all!

But she's not going to outlive them so I'm guessing that they all die TOGETHER due to a plague or an apocalypse..... dun dun dun!

Yes, strong-willed...

Or rather, would be strong-willed, if it weren't for Meghan McCarthy officially confirming on Twitter that Twilight will not outlive her friends, either because she still has a limited lifespan, or because her friends attained immortality of their own from their Elements of Harmony.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think they'll be immortal. Just having extended lives compared to ponies who aren't the wielders of the Elements of Harmony.

Can you be more specific? Will it be both Twilight and her friends who will receive longer lifespans? Or, will only be Twilight attaining immortality, while her friends receive only longer-but-still-limited lifespans?

I hope it's the former. I would take anything, so long as Twilight doesn't outlive her friends.

I personally don't see Twilight living forever or even being long lived. As several have mentioned Cadence and Twilight don't seem to be immortal, I mean Cadence was born an Alicorn. To me it seems to just be another race, however rarer than the other 3 and related to Royalty. I don't even think Celestia and Luna are immortal (maybe) and may just be really long lived as someone would need to take over for them when they die, to raise the sun and moon. I'm not sure what I think of Celestia and Luna. I think they may be goddesses of the sun and moon and might live forever or might just be really long lived until someone is around to take their places. As for the other Alicorns I just see them living the same as all the rest. Of course who knows and I doubt it will be touched on in the actual show.

I personally don't see Twilight living forever or even being long lived. As several have mentioned Cadence and Twilight don't seem to be immortal, I mean Cadence was born an Alicorn. To me it seems to just be another race, however rarer than the other 3 and related to Royalty. I don't even think Celestia and Luna are immortal (maybe) and may just be really long lived as someone would need to take over for them when they die, to raise the sun and moon. I'm not sure what I think of Celestia and Luna. I think they may be goddesses of the sun and moon and might live forever or might just be really long lived until someone is around to take their places. As for the other Alicorns I just see them living the same as all the rest. Of course who knows and I doubt it will be touched on in the actual show.

We've had all of about ten minutes or less with alicorn Twilight, there is no basis in saying she "doesn't seem to be immortal", because there's no indication for alicorn Twilight. (Even though we've had confirmation that she isn't)

Edited by wolfheartmoon

I don't want to offend anypony if you don't like my opinion.

But here's where I stand.

Forget the fanfiction. I want Twilight to give up her "immortality" in the Season 4 premiere, OR the Season 4 finale (preferably the premiere).

That's just what I think.

I don't want to offend anypony if you don't like my opinion.

But here's where I stand.

Forget the fanfiction. I want Twilight to give up her "immortality" in the Season 4 premiere, OR the Season 4 finale (preferably the premiere).

That's just what I think.

Except, she ISN'T immortal. It's already been said that she will NOT outlive her friends. Twilight Sparkle, is NOT immortal, the only immortal alicorns, are Celestia and Luna.

• Brohoof 1

Except, she ISN'T immortal. It's already been said that she will NOT outlive her friends. Twilight Sparkle, is NOT immortal, the only immortal alicorns, are Celestia and Luna.

Yeah, I'm a little sheepish about that. I read that after I posted.

Anyway, I hope the writers make this work out. I'm still uncomfortable about the whole Twilicorn thing.

(edited)

Edited by ____
  • Brohoof 3

I do remember seeing a casket at a funeral in one of the episodes, of course, they wouldn't actually show a character dying/being killed, most likely. 

The way it was worded made it sound like she'll die before her five other friends. Which is a little odd to me, since I figured Rainbow would die first out of the 6. Since she's reckless, I mean. 

It just sounds like she'll die, but like most kids shows, she won't actually die in the show's runtime. 

Those are my thoughts on this, I guess.

sleep.png

• Brohoof 1

I think Elements of Harmony don't die-instead, they have to go some place between Death and Life. It's not exactly utopia, but it's better than usual.

(edited)

Edited by ____

I like your thoughts-but what would this place be like? Would their world be there? Spike? DERPY?!?!

I think that Discord will use his magic to make everyone alicorns, becuase chaos. Then, pinkie pie will make a never-ending conga line, because party.

Spike is related to the Elements of Harmony, so it depends on how good his is by that time. And oof course, Derpy.

...ooor the series could end with Discord turning into Q and sucking them towards Vulcan.

Maybe they all live forever. There is an ambiguity to the statement "Twilight will not outlive her friends" so it does leave room for speculation. Maybe they all die. Maybe they die, but are reincarnated, who knows?

• Brohoof 2

I think that while she is an Alicorn, she isn't one of the power of Luna or Celestia. Look at it this way, Celestia is the all powerful demi-god Alicorn. While Twilight is just a very powerful unicorn who has wings.

• Brohoof 1

Heh, I thought this was a cleverly worded double entendre.  At first glance, it makes it sound like she'll have a normal life span like her friends.  But then again, maybe any pony who holds an Element of Harmony receives extreme longevity as a side effect.  Perhaps in another 20 years or so they'll discover they're not aging?  For all we know, Celestia and Luna got their "immortality" from possessing the elements way back when.  Either way, Twilight won't outlive her friends.  :)

And here's an interesting interpretation I never considered before:

The way it was worded made it sound like she'll die before her five other friends. Which is a little odd to me, since I figured Rainbow would die first out of the 6. Since she's reckless, I mean.

Could Meghan be foreshadowing an early death for Twilight?  Hmm, it seems highly unlikely but not impossible for a cartoon like this.  They would have to sugar coat the hell out of it and say something like "Twilight is leaving us" in some incredible act of self-sacrifice to save Equestria.  I don't foresee this, but it's still curious that Meghan's remark can be taken this way. 

(edited)

I was the one who asked Meghan McCarthy that question, and by the time I received the answer, the thought of both Twilight and her friends attaining their own immortality from the Elements of Harmony never crossed my mind.  I just wanted to believe that (disclaimer: I still love Twilight and her friends, BTW) if Twilight's friends are going to die, then Twilight might as well join them, because it's ironically a lot better than Twilight living forever while her friends are dead. Turned out my beliefs were correct, but not without a lot of people like you guys thinking Twilight's friends will also attain immortality from their Elements, if not turn into alicorns themselves, even though it's highly unlikely and almost completely ridiculous.

Besides, it's not just the fact that Twilight won't outlive her friends.  I've read the book, "Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell," which actually managed to provide clarity to the aftermath of Twilight's coronation, the same way Mass Effect 3's Extended Cut endings provided clarity to the original cut endings.  In that book, not only did Twilight choose to rule Equestria at her Ponyville library to be closer to her friends, but she also actually depended on her friends as always, only this time in making political decisions.  This inferred that Twilight was still not all-powerful, and that she still had to depend on her friends for things even she in her alicorn-form cannot do alone.  And for me, that's a lot better than seeing her degenerate into a God Sue.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

(edited)

Well, going by the rules of other mythologies: Spike is going to live the longest. He's a freaking Dragon and Dragons can be ancient. While I personally believe in the "Alicorns = gods" thing, I don't think Twilight or Cadence for that matter, is on the same level as Celestia and Luna. Hell, even their hair tells us that. Twilight and Cadence have regular pony hair, meanwhile the Solar sisters have glowing waves. That right there says to me that they're a few rungs above the others.

@Commander_PonyShep

I really don't know what it is, but something about the stories in the Book and the comics make me uneasy. I suppose it has something to do with me preferring to have important stuff in the show rather than something I don't care enough to really look into.

Edited by Mzukiller

@Commander_PonyShep

I really don't know what it is, but something about the stories in the Book and the comics make me uneasy. I suppose it has something to do with me preferring to have important stuff in the show rather than something I don't care enough to really look into.

We're in the middle of a pony drought, and we won't receive Season Four of MLP until this upcoming Winter, which is a long time from now.  The books and the comics are all people like myself have in the meantime.  Well, that and other Hub shows, like Pound Puppies and Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters.

We're in the middle of a pony drought, and we won't receive Season Four of MLP until this upcoming Winter, which is a long time from now.  The books and the comics are all people like myself have in the meantime.  Well, that and other Hub shows, like Pound Puppies and Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters.

Audible sigh. Reality can be so cruel. Especially when I'm not even a big fan of the comics like I thought I'd be, I need to work on dulling all of my edges.

• Brohoof 1

What does this mean for me? Absolutely nothing, because I knew this from the very moment that the Alicorn thing was revealed. Luna and Celestia are basically gods, not gods in our sense, but pretty much gods in terms of Equestria. Cadence is not anywhere near this status so there is no reason for Twilight to be.

You realize that the creator, Lauren Faust, of the show never make Celestia and Luna to be goddesses? She said this when someone asked if Celestia and Luna are gods, and she says no. Heck Hasbro has been proving this many times during the show, how Celestia has had to rely on others to fight her battles and even got defeated by the loved powered changing queen.

I never considered Celestia and Luna goddesses, their extremely long lives and magical powers I feel make them similar to the elves of Warhammer Fantasy... who I might add can live for over 2000 years.

Of course, due to wording, it may mean that she is a mortal alicorn or that she will return to unicornhood. I think the former is more likely.

Actually somewhere else it has been said that Twilight becoming an alicorn is permanent change, Twilight will not be becoming a unicorn again.

• Brohoof 1

Either they will make them alicorns, and knowing Hasbro, I really wouldn't doubt it at this point. I don't mind Twilicorn, but adding wings and horns to Applejack or Pinkie is just too far. In fact, making alicorns out of the rest of them would be too far.

OR they will give some sort of deus ex machina of sorts and make Twilight put some sort of "immortality spell" on her friends in the end.

Or, maybe it's law of nature that the Princess's friends are all immortal. :P

From what I can tell, it means they won't actually address the concept of immortality and the possibility that Twilight could outlive her friends in the show itself. It was a statement said in such a way as to allay the fears of those worried about the situation. Until the issue is actually addressed in the show itself, I say that all the possibilities are open.

But if we assume that the statement is true, then I guess wielding the elements of harmony affects the longevity of the user's life, allowing Twilight and co. to live to around the same time if not forever, just like the previous users Luna and Celestia.

If you're asking for honest thoughts though, I think the statement doesn't really amount to much other than trying keep some fans from worrying about an issue that's not going to be brought up.