Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

Well, there you have it. Twilight isn't immortal. :D In a strange way I think I'll sleep better tonight...

I doubt this means the other Mane 6 will become alicorns. Magic was Twilight's destiny, not her friends' destinies.

I guess this pretty much confirms Alicornhood as a form of knighting then. Twilight isn't immortal, and from what we can see from the Hot Minute, really isn't in a position of power, either. So I guess in Equestria, when you get knighted, instead of a title, you get a horn, wings, or both.

• Brohoof 1

I just checked Megan Mcarthys twitter  and she said umm twilight will probably die around the same age as the elements of harmony however megan also said the elements of harmony have xtended life cycles wacko.png

I just checked Megan Mcarthys twitter  and she said umm twilight will probably die around the same age as the elements of harmony however megan also said the elements of harmony have xtended life cycles img-1372199-1-wacko.png

Really? Is that true or you were just kidding? Since I can't find the tweet you mentioned, may I have the link or screenshot of the source? I really need to know more about this issue. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

I just checked Megan Mcarthys twitter and she said umm twilight will probably die around the same age as the elements of harmony however megan also said the elements of harmony have xtended life cycles img-1372199-1-wacko.png

I didn't notice her saying that, but she did say that Pinkie was a goner. ;) She can't bump off Twilight because she's afraid of Tara Strong. :)

What will this mean for all those fanfic writers who either already wrote immortal Twilight fics, or are planning to do so?

For me, it's probably for naught.  Despite eventually tweeting that Meghan McCarthy won't kill off Twilight any time soon (if only to appease her voice-actor, Tara Strong), it still doesn't excuse the fact that, unlike Celestia and Luna, Princess Twilight will still keep her normal lifespan from her life as a unicorn, and will not outlive her friends.  This means that everyone had been writing those Immortal Twilicorn fics for almost absolutely nothing, and will probably instead write fanfics about Twilicorn either sacrificing herself to save her friends, or receiving a shortened lifespan as a result of becoming an alicorn.

What does this mean for you guys, though?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

-_-

Since when does something in the show need to be real to have a fan fiction written about it? Take the majority of them for example, which have different ideas and stories that differentiate from the show. Were those written in vain as well? No. And the immortal Twilight stories are no exception. They were written for the enjoyment of others, aren't they still doing that?

And I always believed she was not immortal to begin with. Just look at Cadence! She is not immortal. Why did Twilight HAVE to be? This also has yo do with a personal theory.

• Brohoof 5

Just because it is not real in the show doesn't mean that it can't be written as a fan-fiction.

It even says in the name "fiction." Meaning; not real.

Anyway, I don't care about this, I just want all this discussion about Twilicorn to end. I believe all this controversy about her is completely pathetic and stupid. It seems like waste of time.

Just because you argue "Twilicorn isn't a good idea because... >insert reason here<" doesn't mean anything. You can argue all you want, but Hasbro ain't changing anything.

~Colgate

• Brohoof 6

Just because it is not real in the show doesn't mean that it can't be written as a fan-fiction.

It even says in the name "fiction." Meaning; not real.

Anyway, I don't care about this, I just want all this discussion about Twilicorn to end. I believe all this controversy about her is completely pathetic and stupid. It seems like waste of time.

Just because you argue "Twilicorn isn't a good idea because... >insert reason here<" doesn't mean anything. You can argue all you want, but Hasbro ain't changing anything.

~Colgate

I don't really feel like this is an argument, I love all the nitty gritty law of Equestria and this is a big part of it that changes the face of much of it :).

We know that both Celestia and Luna outlive pony's by a big margin however we do not know how they where created.

What does this mean for me? Absolutely nothing, because I knew this from the very moment that the Alicorn thing was revealed. Luna and Celestia are basically gods, not gods in our sense, but pretty much gods in terms of Equestria. Cadence is not anywhere near this status so there is no reason for Twilight to be.

What does this mean for me? Absolutely nothing, because I knew this from the very moment that the Alicorn thing was revealed. Luna and Celestia are basically gods, not gods in our sense, but pretty much gods in terms of Equestria. Cadence is not anywhere near this status so there is no reason for Twilight to be.

But, even if it doesn't affect other people's fanfictions, it DOES affect their headcanons. Am I right? Plus, it probably affects those headcanons in a positive way, as now Twilight won't have to live an immortal, lonely life even as an alicorn!

Well, I guess that's one issue solved, then!

Case closed. Let us all go back to our daily lives of ponies, TF2, and possibly the in-between clopping sessions.

• Brohoof 1

The writers could quite easily confirm that, "None of the mane six will ever date each other," but it wouldn't stop people from shipping the f*ck out of them. Stepping outside of the canon is one of the main draws of fan fiction. Heck, one of the most recently featured fics on EQD is called Five Things That Never Happened to Twilight Sparkle, which deals with stories that deliberately go against canon events.

So I'mma gonna keep on writing my immortal Twi fic, my wacked-out shipping fic, and my fic set in a world where Twilight never got the chance to become a princess in the first place! Viva la fanon! *Blows kazoo* cool.png

• Brohoof 1

What everybrony seems to be forgetting is that at no point did the show even say that Celestia and Luna are imortal either.  That was another fan thing that became a fact.  Longevity and imortality are not the same thing.

• Brohoof 1

I never liked, or understood, the vitriol for Princess Twilight and I especially found it perplexing that people focused so much on the whole immortality thing. However, I also know that most fanfic are made in response to the show (like or dislike), or so totally off the wall that the show would never even discuss it. This is OK I guess, although I enjoy and try to write stuff that could appear in the show. People have the right to write what they want. I think trying to out write the creative staff is a mistake, but hopefully Meghan's words will stifle the general discussion on this topic.

Edited by Nature Spell

This means that everyone had been writing those Immortal Twilicorn fics for almost absolutely nothing

Bullshiiiii-

Nah. I don't think so. What's the point of writing them anyways? Do they turn canon? No. Are they meant for speculation? No. What are they really for? Entertainment. That's what. If Immortal Twilicorn Fanfics'll be done for nothing, by that logic, all fanfics'll be pointless, they don't need to be canon to be fanfics, FICS.

Snip :)

Hello. Your topic seemed to be related to Twilight's immortality, specifically the consequences of McCarthy's confirmation that she is in fact mortal. Because this thread was made specifically to discuss that idea and our feelings on it, I have merged your thread with it.

I'm pretty sure that most of those writers knew that this wasn't an issue that would ever be addressed in the show in the first place, and they will write whatever they will. Some will keep at it. Killing Mane Six members is an easy way to get cheap feels from the audience and Alicorn Twilight is a fairly hot concept right now. I believe I saw one of these fics in the feature box on FiMFic yesterday, if I remember correctly. Doesn't particularly bother me though, they're easy enough to ignore.

I just checked Megan Mcarthys twitter  and she said umm twilight will probably die around the same age as the elements of harmony however megan also said the elements of harmony have xtended life cycles img-1372199-1-wacko.png

Thanks for the screenshot. I do know that Meghan said Twilight will not outlive her friends, but I can't find the tweet about her saying elements of harmony have extended life cycle. Do you hava a link for that too? Thanks again.

• Brohoof 1

(I posted this on the wrong thread the other day. Mainly because there are so many different threads all talking about the same three 'issues' around Twilight Sparkle that I got confused... Sorry about that.)

Another thing to note, we have no idea what the *normal* lifespan of a pony is. We have no flashbacks that explicitly state the exact number of years in the past they were, or anything in show to say exactly how old any pony is. The only ones that get close use the '1000 years' framework which appears to be their equivalent of 'long, long ago', and '100 moons' which appears to be their equivalent of 'awhile back.'

For all we know, Granny Smith might be 500 years old, or 50, or heck 25 (I am aware of at least one RL horse reaching 30). We've got no frame of reference that isn't another pony.

So if any of the Mane6 had extended lifespans.... how would we know? 

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the screenshot. I do know that Meghan said Twilight will not outlive her friends, but I can't find the tweet about her saying elements of harmony have extended life cycle. Do you hava a link for that too? Thanks again.

I'm confused.  By saying that Twilight won't outlive her friends, is Meghan leaving open the possibility that ALL holders of the Elements of Harmony may have greatly enhanced longevity?

I think I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again.  The word immortal is overused and misused.  Immortality is a listed attribute for many godlike super heroes and villains in the Marvel and DC universes.  But even though they can live for thousands or millions of years, possibly indefinitely, very few are truly immortal.  Either they will eventually fall to a sufficiently powerful foe or the conditions that provided their "immortality" will no longer exist. 

I'm confused.  By saying that Twilight won't outlive her friends, is Meghan leaving open the possibility that ALL holders of the Elements of Harmony may have greatly enhanced longevity?

Yep, that's exactly the loophole she's left open.

Again, however, we don't have any clear idea on what 'greatly enhanced' actually means, because we have no scale to work off of. We don't know what a *normal* pony lifespan is. For all we know, Pegasi only live to 20, while Earth Ponies live to 200, and Unicorns normally live for 500 years. We got nothing anywhere indicating how long they live, what any of their ages currently are, or even how quickly ponies mature. The only one we've got anything on is Celestia, in that she's over 1,000 years old. And that doesn't really help.

• Brohoof 1

One thing that I can imagine about Twiley having longer life than the other Mane 6 is just like Simon (or Viral, if she's immortal) in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Kamina died but Simon finally was able to move on, then later the other guys including the entertaining twins died, followed by Kittan, and Simon managed to accept their passings -- just like Viral who had to accept the deaths of his superiors which included his crush/someone he admired as one of his superiors and also the death of The Spiral King himself (who was supposed to be immortal).

Now, coming back to the MLP story -- yes, I know Twiley will be able to handle her friends' passings just like Simon and Viral, because she's a strong-willed alicorn, after all!

But she's not going to outlive them so I'm guessing that they all die TOGETHER due to a plague or an apocalypse..... dun dun dun!

Edited by Fluffle Puff