Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

It's debatable whether or not all Alicorns are Immortal. But I'd love to see a fan fiction (parallel universe) where Twilight rejects becoming an Alicorn and wants to remain a mere unicorn and wants to die of old age like her friends.

Because if Twilight Sparkle does not have the magic to stop her friends (or they all become Alicorns like her) they will all die from old age, so thus she will suffer great heartache.

Thus the bitterness of Immortality, everyone you ever knew/cared about/loved will die.

Edit 1: But hey, fan fiction is fan fiction. So everyone is happy, for not all parallel universes (fan fiction) have Twilight become an Alicorn.

Edit 2: I say any Alicorn can "die by the sword" in other words be killed.

Edit 3: If Twilight Sparkle had choice in a parallel universe.

img-1180799-1-bc0.png

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 13

I think I've read a fanfiction like that, though I can't remember where I read it or what it is called. I've also read a good one in which they Twi becomes a princess an all of the others get immortality, but each of the mane 6 allow themselves to die over time for one reason or another. It actually made me cry a little. Unfortunately, I can't remember what that one was called either. I had both saved on my old computer, but I don't have that one anymore

Edit: Oh, and I personally don't think Twilight or any of the alicorns are immortal. I don't even think Discord is immortal. That's just my headcanon though.

Edited by MelancholicMemory

Alicorns are not immortal. Cadence is proof of that. So in any case Twilight will not live forever, she may have an extended lifespan however. I see alicorns more like elves from Tolkien myth. They can live a very long time but not forever.

• Brohoof 8

It has not been confirmed that alicorns are immortal but it is reasonable to assume that they are at the very least long lived much like dragons so Twilight will probably outlive her friends but may have a similar life span to Spike.

• Brohoof 1

I guess it depends on whether alicorns are entirely invincible, or merely biologically unaging/long lived. Seems to be the latter, since Celestia can obviously be hurt, as seen in the wedding battle. In which case, Twilight can just kill herself if she wants, after her friends are gone. Only a curse if you're incapable of death, and completely alone.

Twilight will still have Celestia, Luna, possibly Cadence, and Spike should be around for thousands of years (100 years counts as a nap for a dragon). She'll certainly be distraught for a long time, and probably never entirely get over the loss of her friends, but she won't be alone. This is what makes Celestia such an intriguing character to me, because from what we've seen, she has been all alone in the world for an entire millennium. My headcannon Celestia is much like the Doctor (at least in the 2005 Doctor Who series which I've been watching recently)... cheerful and full of life on the surface, but desperately lonely underneath.

I've always liked Twilight and Celestia as a romantic pair, despite the age gap. Twilight pretty much had a love/obsession at first sight moment with her at the summer sun celebration, and has remained devoted ever since. Even after finding friends her own age, and living separately for a fairly long time, Sombra's door showed that her deepest fear is still losing contact with Celestia. And again when she sprouted wings, her first question was whether she'd still be Celestia's student. And from all we've seen, Celestia doesn't have any relationships closer than Twilight, except for probably Luna... who she only has back because of Twilight. And now, if Twilight is immortal, Celestia can finally let herself fall in love ^_^

I guess it depends on whether alicorns are entirely invincible, or merely biologically unaging/long lived. Seems to be the latter, since Celestia can obviously be hurt, as seen in the wedding battle. In which case, Twilight can just kill herself if she wants, after her friends are gone. Only a curse if yo  ^_^

There's something called "resurrective immortality"(it's what Highlander immortals have) it means you can be hurt, but you heal fast, or in the case of a fatal wound revive once the damage heals in a few minutes.  

• Brohoof 1

I still don't believe Alicorns are immortal, the only Alicorns I could maybe honestly think are immortal are Celestia and Luna, and even then I'm not really sure I think they're immortal, I think they just live a really long time.

However, considering cadence was only a little filly while an Alicorn, and that within a few years grew to her present size, and Luna had the same type of thing after being nightmare moon, I just don't think i can believe their immortal.

I think immortality is a curse really though, it would get boring living forever after a while to tell the truth :P. Not to mention like you said the heartache of seeing all your friends die.

Someone (I forget who sorry :(. ) Said something about how Alicorn Immortality may have to due with the flowing mane Luna and Celestia have, and Cadence doesn't, so thats a possible theory to(Sorry I forgot who, I'm going to get slapped whenever they see this :P.)

Regardless I still don't think Alicorns are immortal personally, or atleast not all Alicorns.

• Brohoof 3

I see Celestia, Luna and Discord as beings who can live forever if they're not killed. Again, much like the LOTR Elves. 

Cadence and Twilight seem pretty mortal. Their feats and levels of power don't seem on the same level as the other three.

Edited by himanuts
  • Brohoof 2

I wonder if Celestia can pick and choose what Alicorn powers to give Twilight? I'm sure she knows by now that her friends have literally become her life, and that forcing her to live on while they all die is cruel. 

Twilight's friends are a part of her destiny, and they will be together until the end, in my opinion. For her to live on while they die would make it look like they were stepping stones.

So either they get her lifespan, or she keeps the lifespan of the other three races.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

There is one old fic that I've read that is basically about Twilight being an immortal princess and becoming the new ruler of Equestria, her pony friends are dead so her only companion left is Spike, he also becomes immortal in the story, the rest of the story is Twilight and Spike living through millennia as lovers, the ending is pretty sad (this fic is a clopfic btw :wacko: )

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if Celestia can pick and choose what Alicorn powers to give Twilight? I'm sure she knows by now that her friends have literally become her life, and that forcing her to live on while they all die is cruel. 

Twilight's friends are a part of her destiny, and they will be together until the end, in my opinion. For her to live on while they die would make it look like they were stepping stones.

So either they get her lifespan, or she keeps the lifespan of the other three races.

One thing should be mentioned, something that I noticed in Celestia's dialogue right before she sang. She mentioned Twilight making friends as being part of her "test." It could be nothing, but it kind of leaves the impression that Celestia truly doesn't care about the rest of the Mane6, and only is/was using them in order to solely beniefit Twilight in reaching Celestia's goal for her.

But maybe I'm just being a little pessimistic. Though your "stepping stones" analogy would actually work, if this were true. ( Which of course I hope it is not.)

Discord: Did you ever hear the tragedy of King Plagueis?

Twilight Sparkle: No.

Discord: I thought not. It's not a story Celestia would tell you. It's an elemental legend. King Plagueis was a Dark Elemental who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use magic to influence the the fabric of reality to create life... He had such a knowledge of dark magic that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

Twilight Sparkle: He could do that? He could actually save ponies from death?

Discord: Dark magic is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Twilight Sparkle: What happened to him?

Discord: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic that he could save others from death, but not himself.

Twilight Sparkle: Is it possible to learn this power?

Discord: Not from Celestia.

• Brohoof 7

Discord: Did you ever hear the tragedy of King Plagueis?

Twilight Sparkle: No.

Discord: I thought not. It's not a story Celestia would tell you. It's an elemental legend. King Plagueis was a Dark Elemental who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use magic to influence the the fabric of reality to create life... He had such a knowledge of dark magic that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

Twilight Sparkle: He could do that? He could actually save ponies from death?

Discord: Dark magic is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Twilight Sparkle: What happened to him?

Discord: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic that he could save others from death, but not himself.

Twilight Sparkle: Is it possible to learn this power?

Discord: Not from Celestia.

swc084pe.jpg

Any quotes from Revenge of the Sith must be met with a quick and firm response.

Might Twilight be immortal (or at least granted increased longevity) by virtue of the friendships she has fostered? I can imagine her becoming stronger by fostering more relationships and being supported by her friends as opposed to training in the Far East for seven years in order to perfect her mind and body.

I wouldn't say immortal, it's too soon to say that alicorns are immortal. I'd say that her lifespan has at least extended a couple decades or centuries. Spike will always be with Twilight for sure though, not sure how they will keep him when he's a full grown dragon but I'm guessing he'll be old enough to be live on his own and he'll be able to visit everyone once in a while.

I am going to say that they are immortal, but can be killed by sword, as the topic starter said.

Twilight will outlive her friends. I wish the episode would have ended with her refusing alicornship to stay with her friends, but I doubt that Hasbro would let that happen :(

• Brohoof 1

The good news is fan fictions (parallel universes/multiverse) Twilight can make her closest friends and family immortal too. So she won't have to deal with the pain of death of loved ones. And in some parallel universes she may even reject becoming an Alicorn, and wish to remain mortal and a Unicron.

However in some parallel universes she won't be so lucky.

fcf.jpg

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 2

I actually think that Celestia and Luna will last as long as the moon and the sun does. Who's going to raise the moon and the sun at their respective times when they die? We know that Discord is capable of this, even though he did it for chaotic purposes

• Brohoof 2

I think so. Which is too bad, really. Seeing as how she's not going to be able to get over her friends' deaths, I'm guessing. 

Of course, this will most likely never be mentioned.

• Brohoof 1

Hopefully not. She's already an alicorn, she doesn't need near or full immortality too -__-

Anyways, as above poster said, it'll never be mentioned.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think so.   Which is a shame, because what about her friends?  They aren't immortal, so will Twilight outlive them?  

I'd rather her to live a normal life, but apparently, there are other plans for her.  

Edited by ~Chaotic Twilight~

Sadly, yes. I really can not imagine the fact of her not giving her friends immortality, and then they all tragically die.

Besides, what is being an alicorn when all of your friends will die.