Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

well yeah alicorns are pretty powerful as shown by cadence in handling that defence spell in the Crystal Empire but i believe that it is in Twilights discovery of her own potential,the good and bad and the consequences would be a good show and i see alot of lessons that can be put into good use as twilight grows as a alicorn princess 

Yes but then there's always the "then what?"  It seems to me like Twilight learning how to be an Alicorn has a lot less plot possibilities than her being a student.  They advanced her through all of the ranks and now she's going to have nothing to do save a few adventures as an Alicorn.  It reminds me of the Winterhold college quest on Skyrim.. :/

Yes but then there's always the "then what?"  It seems to me like Twilight learning how to be an Alicorn has a lot less plot possibilities than her being a student.  They advanced her through all of the ranks and now she's going to have nothing to do save a few adventures as an Alicorn.  It reminds me of the Winterhold college quest on Skyrim.. :/

i believe if its written quite well twilights development to a fully pledge Alicorn Princess could actually take 2-3 seasons(assuming that each season would have at the very least 20+ ep) more and assuming that Hasbro still plans to continue the show i believe they would sideline twilight and the other mane 6 as they are growing older as the show progresses and i believe that a show like MLP FIM with young adults as the main cast wouldnt click very well with the targeted audience (being young girls) 

so when twilight reaches her peak of her development i believe she would either get her own kingdom to rule or take over celestias throne when celestia "advocates"(could mean alot of things) it, and a new set of characters younger and having similar or wider range of personalities to come out (maybe even add other human race qualities like asians)

i believe if its written quite well twilights development to a fully pledge Alicorn Princess could actually take 2-3 seasons(assuming that each season would have at the very least 20+ ep) more and assuming that Hasbro still plans to continue the show i believe they would sideline twilight and the other mane 6 as they are growing older as the show progresses and i believe that a show like MLP FIM with young adults as the main cast wouldnt click very well with the targeted audience (being young girls) 

In my opinion, if Hasbro is smart, they will appeal to all of their customers, not only the originally targeted audience, which was young girls.  Our group, to be honest, probably gives Hasbro more money than the target audience did in the first place.  Besides, girls probably aren't as into MLP as they used to be.  Its a little too...  I would say complex (I don't know if this is the right word) for the average stupid American television watcher.  People today just want to see nonsense in cartoons; anything that will make them laugh.

so when twilight reaches her peak of her development i believe she would either get her own kingdom to rule or take over celestias throne when celestia "advocates"(could mean alot of things) it, and a new set of characters younger and having similar or wider range of personalities to come out (maybe even add other human race qualities like asians)

This could be good or bad.  I would never want to just abandon all of the old characters.  They are only from 2010, so I don't see why everyone has to jump the gun to replace them.

Also, I have a question.

Are black/African people in the MLP universe supposed to be represented by zebras?  I always thought that this was one of the implications based on the "don't be racist" episode that originally introduced Zecora.

In my opinion, if Hasbro is smart, they will appeal to all of their customers, not only the originally targeted audience, which was young girls.  Our group, to be honest, probably gives Hasbro more money than the target audience did in the first place.  Besides, girls probably aren't as into MLP as they used to be.  Its a little too...  I would say complex (I don't know if this is the right word) for the average stupid American television watcher.  People today just want to see nonsense in cartoons; anything that will make them laugh.

yeah but you also have to consider that hasbro doesnt want to step on any parents toes sensing that MLP FIM was originally meant for a younger audience and still has a large following of young audience all over the world and with that in mind i believe that hasbro would still use young girls as their main target audience ergo create stories for them and if their smart it wont alienate their other audience 

This could be good or bad.  I would never want to just abandon all of the old characters.  They are only from 2010, so I don't see why everyone has to jump the gun to replace them.

well i didn't suggest they'd drop the mane 6 entirely but just make them as a supporting cast reminding old fans and inspiring new ones  and i did say it would take 2-3 seasons + maybe movies here and there so it will be a while before twily and the rest get replaced

Also, I have a question.

Are black/African people in the MLP universe supposed to be represented by zebras?  I always thought that this was one of the implications based on the "don't be racist" episode that originally introduced Zecora.

i wasn't being racist but its just that if you ask other people mostly from other countries most of them would say that all of pony kind seem to be Caucasians plus sensing MLP FIM is getting popular world wide especially here in japan a character that we can relate to would be nice and might actually get more fans from other cultures (as long as its done nicely) 

i wasn't being racist but its just that if you ask other people mostly from other countries most of them would say that all of pony kind seem to be Caucasians plus sensing MLP FIM is getting popular world wide especially here in japan a character that we can relate to would be nice and might actually get more fans from other cultures (as long as its done nicely) 

Wait..  Answer mah question!!

Is what I said true?  Are black people actually depicted as zebras in FIM?  I'm just curious because that's what it seems like based off previous canon material.

(edited)
However, considering cadence was only a little filly while an Alicorn, and that within a few years grew to her present size, and Luna had the same type of thing after being nightmare moon, I just don't think i can believe their immortal.

This is why I believe Alicorns themselves aren't immortal and in fact live a normal lifespan. Celestia and Luna are exceptional cases for reasons yet unexplained, but is likely to have something to do with the cycle of the sun and moon. Those are the elements the sisters represent and I believe they will live as long as the sun and moon themselves exist. Cadence and Twilight represent the elements of love and friendship respectively on the other hand, and those exist so long as the love and friendship that allowed them to become alicorns exists i.e. they will die when the source of their element dies - Shining Armor in Cadence's case, the mane 5 in Twilight's case. But we're unlikely to ever see that in the show so I don't worry too much about it.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

Is what I said true?  Are black people actually depicted as zebras in FIM?  I'm just curious because that's what it seems like based off previous canon material.

well cant really answer your question sensing im not a writer for Hasbro but logically it does sound like that "black/african" are portrayed as zebras as zebras are the only horse-like creature popular in africa 

plus this just seems like a story plot to make zecora seem more exotic(rather than make her a pony that sounds african make her into a different species altogether)

plus as i stated before that the show was intended for a younger audience i think it would just make it easier for them to understand zecoras uniqueness ergo portray the lesson "don't judge a book by its cover"

Hard to tell from the single example we've got to work with. We have to enter into pretty deep speculation to build anything up from just one Zebra. It does make a sort of sense though, given that Zebras are African in the real world. Using her size relative to other ponies, likely Zecora is a 'Mountain Zebra' if we want to get specific. Which would mean the cultural equivalent to Namibia? However, with the masks, the specific type of mysticism, the accent, et al. Zecora seems to be more Caribbean to me (Having just come back from the Caribbean myself relatively recently.) Which implies a *lot* of interesting history having taken place that they haven't talked about in-show yet. And given the actual history of the region, likely they will never talk about it.

This is why I believe Alicorns themselves aren't immortal and in fact live a normal lifespan. Celestia and Luna are exceptional cases for reasons yet unexplained, but is likely to have something to do with the cycle of the sun and moon. Those are the elements the sisters represent and I believe they will live as long as the sun and moon themselves exist. Cadence and Twilight represent the elements of love and friendship respectively on the other hand, and those exist so long as the love and friendship that allowed them to become alicorns exists i.e. they will die when the source of their element dies - Shining Armor in Cadence's case, the mane 5 in Twilight's case. But we're unlikely to ever see that in the show so I don't worry too much about it.

I've always just had the headcannon, that the only Immortal Alicorns are the ones with the flowing manes, so Celestia and Luna are immortal and it is shown by their flowing manes.

Or atleast their immortal in the sense of lifespan, now I think they can still be killed by attack possibly, but I think they can theoretically live forever. Or something like that.

It works fine right now as Cadence nor Twilight have flowing manes, so thats my explanation for why Celestia and Luna have lived so long, and twilight and cadence have normal lifespans as of now.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it extremely doubtful that either Twilight or Cadence are immortal

Why, you might ask? it's quite simple in Cadence's case; If she was immortal, why would she marry Shining Armor, who is a mortal unicorn, if Cadence would just end up outliving her husband and any children they produce? It wouldn't make sense at all.

And if Twilight would be immortal as an Alicorn, why didn't she reject her transformation if being an Alicorn meant she'd just outlive her friends and family for eternity?

So while Meghan McCarthy already confirmed Twilight won't be immortal, I think in a sense we could've figured that out ourselves to a certain degree.

No one really knows but maybe just maybe since she's now a princess she will grant her friends with immortality too.. Hopefully :ph34r:

Either it could mean she won't forget about them or leave them behind or since Twilight and her friends are part of the Element of Harmony their immortal unless the Elements of Harmony are destroyed. Anything is POSSIBLE

Edited by Flipturn

• 2 weeks later...

Actually to me i think she won't be immortal like Celestia and Luna. Immortal means person who never dies. So Because Cadence and Twilight were made into alicorns they are not immortal in the Other hand Celestia and Luna were born as alicorns that leave them immotal

When I first came across this head cannon of Twilight being immortal as an alicorn and outliving all her friends, I actually thought it made a whole bunch of sense. I mean, Celestia and Luna are alicorns and they have lived for over a 1,000 years. Wouldn't Twilicorn age similarly? So yeah, simple alicorn logic! :P

But then again, we have Cadence, who has not be shown to be all that old. She seem significantly younger than Twilight in that flashback in "Canterlot Wedding: Part 1." So I guess even though she's an alicorn, she's ages just like Twilight. 

Plus, Megan McCarthy freaking said so that "Twilight will not outlive her friends." So therefore, all arguments and speculation going against it ends up being deemed worthless and a huge waste of time. :P

I think Luna and Celestia have a unique kind of magic in themselves that allows them to live for so long. This sort of magic could of actually made them age like the very celestial bodies they control. So yeah, I like to believe that their essential role in fulfilling the vital day cycles of Equestria is what made them somewhat "connected" with the bodies they control. So as long as the sun and moon exists over ponyville, the Princesses have to stay alive in order to fulfill their important roles.

Edited by Sanderspie

It means that in some way that Twilight and her friends are immortal. Twilight will have immortality but, she does not want to live her whole life without her friends.

I think that the elements of harmony will preserve Twilight and her friends, or at least make them live past the normal. It wouldn't be entirely impossible to think of Twilight as long lived, so maybe Hasbro will think of a way to make them all live forever. 

I don't want to think of the time when they all die  :(

Edited by RistroxD

• 4 weeks later...

I think Rarity would look younger since she'll no doubt get plastic surgery/botox.

Also, Pinkie would probably be in a wheelchair since she most likely won't grow out of bouncing all over the place and will probably break something.

• Brohoof 1

Now Twilight will live forever like Princess Celestia but if that happens what happends to her friends, they will grow old like those old people you see (E.G. Grannysmith). What would happen? :(

No.

I don't think they will do that.

Twilight was made into an Alicorn, Like Cadence, not born one, like Celestia,  and Luna. She is not immortal, same with Cadence.

Although Twilight is taller now, and has a little taller horn then the normal Unicorn horn, that probably indicates that she might live a little longer, but is not immortal.

Besides, I am thinking that Twilight will probably turn back into a unicorn, due to the stress of a princess, but that is my idea.

Now, what I am worrying about is Spike. He is a dragon, and can live a thousand years.

Edited by CadenceDerp
  • Brohoof 1

No.

I don't think they will do that.

Twilight was made into an Alicorn, Like Cadence, not born one, like Celestia,  and Luna. She is not immortal, same with Cadence.

Although Twilight is taller now, and has a little taller horn then the normal Unicorn horn, that probably indicates that she might live a little longer, but is not immortal.

Besides, I am thinking that Twilight will probably turn back into a unicorn, due to the stress of a princess, but that is my idea.

Now, what I am worrying about is Spike. He is a dragon, and can live a thousand years.

OH CRAP! didnt think of that? thanks for opening my eyes my friendly pony. I will think that of spike next time he grows again like last time.

Edited by HelloJinxie
  • Brohoof 1

Now Twilight will live forever like Princess Celestia but if that happens what happends to her friends, they will grow old like those old people you see (E.G. Grannysmith). What would happen? :(

You've done untold damage to me with that picture.  Report to the hall of shame.

I try not to think of growing old in a fantasy setting.

You've done untold damage to me with that picture.  Report to the hall of shame.

I try not to think of growing old in a fantasy setting.

im soooooooooooo sorry i did this to you :( please dont bannish me then bannish me from where you bannished me to. forgive mee?

• 5 months later...

My reaction to that picture:

Immortal Twilight. Well maybe Twilight could be Doctor Whooves' special somepony then!

doctor_whooves_x_princess_twilight_spark

Neither of them will die (unless Doctor Whooves is somehow unable to regenerate, and assuming alicorns are indeed immortal), so it'll mean an infinite relationship!...actually the possibility of an infinite relationship is debatable..speaking of which.