Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An idea for status updates

Zacharias

I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with status updates thanks to the character limit that is...who knows how many characters. So how about adding a "x characters remaining" counter to help avoid your updates getting cut off if you exceed said limit? Currently there's no indicator whether you have passed it while writing your update, so there really is no easy way to tell.

• Brohoof 10

I'm not sure if this would be entirely useful.  Status updates are just that, status updates.  If one wishes to create something a little larger they can make a blog entry or a new topic.

(edited)

I do like the idea. However, I feel like, at least if you're the one starting the update, if your post is long enough that it exceeds the limit, then it's probably worthy of being a blog. After all, I feel like statuses are for short little dilemmas/whatnot that can be read in a matter of seconds, while blog entries are a little bit more important.

Edited by ☣Betez☣

I do like the idea. However, I feel like, at least if you're the one starting the update, if your post is long enough that it exceeds the limit, then it's probably worthy of being a blog. After all, I feel like statuses are for short little dilemmas/whatnot that can be read in a matter of seconds, while blog entries are a little bit more important.

I'm not sure if this would be entirely useful.  Status updates are just that, status updates.  If one wishes to create something a little larger they can make a blog entry or a new topic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing to raise the character limit by any means...I just want people to be able to tell whether it's going to be destroyed by the character limit or not so that they can paste it into a blog entry instead.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, I'd definitely like that. Usually I see a short question or statement, and then it turns gets more in depth and I have to split my post into multiple parts.

I honestly don't like there being a max character limit in the first place, but at least knowing how much you have left to post would be useful.

We could tweak the field to simply not let you add any more characters once you're at the limit. It would make people aware of the limit without cutting the status off or adding visual clutter. I'll add that to our task tracker.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I honestly don't like there being a max character limit in the first place, but at least knowing how much you have left to post would be useful.

A lid on status updates is important, because one could otherwise add a great deal of garbage and vertical space to the site's index page. That would be far too open to abuse.

• Brohoof 6

My idea for Status Updates is quite frankly to turn them off, when i noticed 500 notifications i was confused in why i would have so many.

So yeah "Turn off" is my Idea :P

Peace 

My idea for Status Updates is quite frankly to turn them off, when i noticed 500 notifications i was confused in why i would have so many.

Peace 

I don't think there's anything wrong with having status updates on the front page but an idea to turn them off by choice would be nice. I like viewing status updates and responding to them if they actually have value in it but sometimes i feel it's really getting rediculous.

Peace 

If it's the notifications that are annoying you, you can turn them off in your user settings.

If it is the statuses themselves that you don't want to look at, hover over the blue part of the hook and click the X that pops up. This will collapse them. You can always bring them back after doing this. See the screenshot:

Hide Status Updates.png

• Brohoof 2

If it's the notifications that are annoying you, you can turn them off in your user settings.   If it is the statuses themselves that you don't want to look at, hover over the blue part of the hook and click the X that pops up. This will collapse them. You can always bring them back after doing this. See the screenshot:

This was kind of point i was trying to say Feld0, i like this site and the last thing i want to see is getting constant messages like Facebook.

Anyway Thank you for the advice, As stated previously i had done this before hand. Please don't hate me.

Cider Barrel

@Feld0

good idea i also had a idea to do with the stats updates to be able to edit them insted of deleting them because others could post as you are rewighting your post so yeh i already made a topic for this but i just would like to say that that is a good idea to make it better

• Brohoof 1

We could tweak the field to simply not let you add any more characters once you're at the limit. It would make people aware of the limit without cutting the status off or adding visual clutter. I'll add that to our task tracker.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've also experienced this issue when commenting on other's statuses. Perhaps, everywhere on the site where there is a maximum character limit, you could instate this feature.