Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My First Plushie: Princess Luna

SoaringSentinel

As a plushie maker/seller, I'll give you a few pointers I've learned if you want!

1. set up a good price chart so that you don't get bombarded with tons of questions all at once. The prices will obviously vary depending on time, effort, materials used, and difficulty. You can see my price chart here as an example (I promise this isn't a cheap ploy to get people to commission me!): http://garrenn.deviantart.com/journal/Plushie-Commission-Price-Chart-362394255

2. Get a downpayment for plushies at LEAST over $100. I personally don't suggest taking a full upfront payment because it gives you less incentive to finish the doll in a timely manner (and it can sometimes make the commissioner uncomfortable to send large amounts of money all at once!), but even more than that, I do not suggest taking nothing until the doll is completed. I take a 25% downpayment to cover the cost of materials as well as any POSSIBLE work I could have done on the doll rather than other dolls if this person were to back out. It's also nonrefundable unless I personally back out of the deal and I make sure to state that upfront.

3. Try to keep in contact with your commissioners as often as possible. We all have lives obviously (I hope so!) outside of commissions, but it's always a good idea to let the commissioner know they can get in contact with you for any questions or concerns, and it really makes them feel more comfortable doing business with you when they know they can reach you.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

hey guys its been a while since the last update, most of that was because there was the purple fabric i ordered for her mane and taill wasent availible and also some personal stuff i had to take care of. but now i'm back into the swing of things.

Luna's body is now completly closed all the stuffing that she'll need to stay upright is in and now i just have to worry about the tail, mane, and crown.

here's the amputated tail which will be attached tommorow.

img-1389133-1-dsc0012ks.jpg

The tail will be dotted with small sparkly plastic gems (dunno what they are called) 

everything but the horn is now permanently attached. tommorow i'll add the ears then next week i'll work on the hair.

dsc0035rod.jpg

dsc0036lg.jpg

Comments are welcome as usual
Edited by SoaringSentinel
  • Brohoof 4

WOW! This is incredible! I am blown away. You make me want to learn how to make plushies on my own! You did a fantastic job on this. I am very impressed. 

Wow, what a great plushie, you should be proud, you did a fantastic job!

Approximately how long did it take you for all of this? 

Thanks! 

I got the idea december 30th 2012 then i had the idea in my head for about 2 months in which i did some planning and research. then in february i started gathering materials and by the end of feb i had started work. since this has been a big learning process for me and i couldnt spend all my free time on her it has taken me nearly 2 months of work to get her to where she is now. i suspect another 2 weeks before she is done. and then comes the big decision. to sell or not to sell.

In any case i plan to do Celestia next. she will be to scale with this Luna so seeing as luna is 1.20m celestia will be close to 1.50m. after that if i decide to do another i'll do a mane 6 pony and after that i'll likely open up for commisions as by then i'll have a body patern for all 3 types of pony.

I got the idea december 30th 2012 then i had the idea in my head for about 2 months in which i did some planning and research. then in february i started gathering materials and by the end of feb i had started work. since this has been a big learning process for me and i couldnt spend all my free time on her it has taken me nearly 2 months of work to get her to where she is now. i suspect another 2 weeks before she is done. and then comes the big decision. to sell or not to sell.

In any case i plan to do Celestia next. she will be to scale with this Luna so seeing as luna is 1.20m celestia will be close to 1.50m. after that if i decide to do another i'll do a mane 6 pony and after that i'll likely open up for commisions as by then i'll have a body patern for all 3 types of pony.

Wow, celestia should be tough to do, but seeing your work on this i have no fear in your skills.

I really wish you the best in luck, make sure you keep us all up to date, i'm looking forward to seeing celestia and fluttershy =)  

This is fantastic! I have basically zero sewing skills so this is beyond impressive to me. I am excited to see your future ponies. I hope you can have a successful commission business out of these. Princess Celestia will be awesome too! 

That's just plain impressive.

I bet it took a LONG time to make, though...

But keep up the amazing work!

I want to learn to sew, and once I do and get more experience, I'm thinking of making dolls like that, too!

Oh my god,thats so awesome!
that looks a lot like luna and at that scale it would look awesome in poses

She is very detailed and the size is a great touch,she looks exactly like the show

I cant wait to see it complete *brohoof*

wow this is shaping up quit nicely i cant wait to see it whens it finished keep up the fantastic work are you going to do plushies of other characters or just this one i would love to see you do a pinkie pie plushie

next on the agenda is princess celestia which will be too scale with this luna. so luna is 1.2 meters tall celestia will be near 1.50 - 1.60 meters tall. and hopefully now that i have kind of gotten the hang of it, it should be without as many mistakes.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

holy crap, hasbro should hire you to design the merchandise. At least some one detailed oriented. I agree about some of the toys. I really like the blind bag/ mini figurines. they are pretty close to characters.

(edited)

holy crap, hasbro should hire you to design the merchandise. At least some one detailed oriented. I agree about some of the toys. I really like the blind bag/ mini figurines. they are pretty close to characters.

I agree, of all the toys available at my local Toys 'R' Us, the Blind-Bag figurines are the only things that speak actual quality.  Even then, they're obviously just three or four common molds and a bunch of different paint and decal patterns - their Fluttershy has the right colors but nowhere near the right mane or tail.  But at least they're reasonably close to the show.

On the other hand, I saw a Twlight Sparkle plushie there that looked more like a misshapen Cabbage Patch Kid than a pony.  *shiver*

Hasbro really is missing out on a potentially lucrative market by licensing out their characters to high-quality home builders like SoaringSentinel here.  People really would pay good money for such excellent work.

(Edit: Sorry, was referring to Soaring's work, though I'll be happy to credit Cobalt with any stuff he's doing too. :))

Edited by Pixel Stick
  • Brohoof 2

Woah! This looks amazing!! I as wondering, how did you do the eyes, because they are perfect! Anyways I cannot wait to see the mane, it will look amazing.

• Brohoof 1

Woah! This looks amazing!! I as wondering, how did you do the eyes, because they are perfect! Anyways I cannot wait to see the mane, it will look amazing.

I made the eyes by cutting out the pieces and then layering them ontop of eachother then sowing each piece onto the white eye base and then sowing them onto the head. 

Quicky update. things have been a bit hectic here on a personal level so i havent had much time to work on her. but i'm nearly done with the patern for the hair so with a little luck expect something by the end of this week.

• Brohoof 3

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY BITS! *tosses money at the screen*

Seriously, I love this. It's gorgeous. If you made a Rarity, I'd probably offer my organs or something in order to get it.

... Have I mentioned I'm broke as heck?

I made the eyes by cutting out the pieces and then layering them ontop of eachother then sowing each piece onto the white eye base and then sowing them onto the head. 

Quicky update. things have been a bit hectic here on a personal level so i havent had much time to work on her. but i'm nearly done with the patern for the hair so with a little luck expect something by the end of this week.

Thanks! My friend makes plushies and I think she would like to hear this! I cannot wait to see the full product of your Luna, take your time, and don't rush it! :D

What material did you use for the eyes again?  (You might have mentioned earlier on, but at the moment I'm too lazy to go back and look.)  It looks like felt, but I wanted to be sure. :)