Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Devyp2theizo

How do you like your ponies? human like or horse like? ive noticed during the show, often there are times where the ponies will use there hooves to hold and or pull things that would normally be impossable to do with hooves and not hands, but i have never minded it. and then there are other times where they use thier mouths and keep all fours on the floor. again i don't mind this, but its starting to cause me to wonder...

Things like post-807-0-00189800-1328246392_thumb.pngpost-807-0-34482100-1328246394_thumb.png

have always stuck out to me but neer been a probelm...

and then u have normal (ish) situations like

post-807-0-59049900-1328246573_thumb.gif

post-807-0-43285200-1328246574_thumb.jpg

so which do you all prefer?

Human like ponies?

or

Pony... like ponies lol.

Edited by Devyp2theizo

Octavia can play the Chello with her hoof, but Sweetie Belle and other fillies must use their mouths to write with pencils. Hasbro plays a dangerous game :P

Personally, because it's so difficult without hands, my fanfic is going to have "Sticky hooves", that is, they can manipulate things with their hooves. That's canon.

And so is non-sticky hooves :P

You could say Twi writing with magic instead of her hooves says non-sticky, but if you'll notice, she also uses teleportation sometimes when she doesn't feel like walking (Applebuck season, I think it was, where Big Mac couldn't harvest and AJ was overworked... That had a great scene where Twi abused her "blink"/teleport ability, she hardly took a step but instead used that a bunch of times XD. After awhile If I were AJ, that'd get on my nerves, lol.), so I think that's just because it's easier to use magic instead of hooves, but not necessary.

Rarity also uses her hooves sometimes when weaving, of all things. So I think that's big points for sticky hooves, too.

Oh, afterthought, maybe using their hooves is a hard-to-acquire skill, so that's why fillies write with their mouths? Works for me :P. Also, in Dr. Whooves, Derpy could easily grab and hold things, but the Doctor couldn't. It's fanfic, but same idea. Hard to acquire the skill, but possible.

I take back my comments about both being canon.

Anyone agree, from these things, it looks like canon says it's a hard skill, but possible to use hooves?

(Wow. Ponies who play musical instruments... Just got a lot more respect.)

Oh, right, on topic. Hmm. How Hasbro does it is great with me. Kinda a combination of both. They walk on all fours, but use their "Hands" for a lot of things, or will occasionally use a humanlike stance for expressions. (like how RD hovers and crosses her "arms" sometimes.) Just a mix, really.

It's a little surprising when I see them ridden, or have rodeos where they're the horses. I constantly forget they're ponies, that is, young horses!

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Probably Pony-like with Human-like abilites. ofcourse they need to give them some human-like qualties but they try their best to compenstate with the hooves like how twilight reads a book while walking or how ponies drink punch or how they hold things with their mouths. they try to keep it pony as much as they can.

Someone on another forum wrote a post about how the sticky hooves thing might actually work...let's see if I can find it.

Ah! Here it is. Please note that this was not written by me, but by a user on another forum named Iori:

Alrighty, it's not perfect, nor particular long, but here's my first Article in my 'Realistic Equestria' Project.

A Brief History of Equine Environmental Manipulation via Non-Magical Means;

The following text has been prepared for the use of the Imperial Science Academy and is not intended for widespread distribution as per Imperial Decree by Her Majestic Highness, Celestia.

For many years scholars wondered and debated about the exact dynamics behind the ability of Ponykind to manipulate objects in ways similar to some lesser animals that have developed more agile manipulative appendages, sometimes known as 'Fingers'* in ancient texts.

While all Ponies can bend their Hooves to some degree due to the Hoof-joint, this by itself was not enough to explain the manipulative abilities that we possess.

For many centuries the vast majority of lay-ponies and a great deal of scholars believed this to be the result of latent magic, it would be discovered by the great scientist Hoofenheim that this was not the case.

Hoofenheim was among a select member of Pony's who were allowed access to the ancient catacombs and thus was among the first to use the technology being developed from the ancient artifacts found their. During this time Hoofenheim used a very powerful microscope to examine Pony Hooves at which point he made the discover that Hooves are actually covered in microscopic 'hairs' which he would later refer to as 'Setae'** that exert a strange magic-like force (the 'Van der Hoof force') that allowed one to hold onto objects without exerting the same level of dextral grasp as the Simians.

*The exact origins of the term are not known, though the first record of the term is found in the Second Great Survey of Equestria and is attributed to the native Monkeys living in the Equestrian Tropics.

**When asked how he came-up with the term Hoofenheim reported that Equestrianhe came across several disparate references to a similar phenomenon in one of the Ancient Texts found in the catacombs.

It's based on the Van der Waals force, a real phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia....#Use_by_animals

• Brohoof 1

Another brilliant pony wrote this...

Magic and Telekinesis.

Magic infuses the very land itself. It’s through the use of magic that ponies were able to rise above the beasts and shape the land. There is one universal magic inherent to all ponies: telekinesis.

Earth Ponies utilize TK at its most elemental level. They can pick up objects simply by touching it with a hoof. This is true telekinesis but with no range. For example: An Earth pony picks up a saw. His TK holds the saw in place, but it’s the strength of his forelimb that moves the saw back and forth. This particular brand of TK is limited to his forelimbs only.

Pegasus Ponies also have this simple Telekinesis. But they can express this TK thru two other limbs: Their wings. Flight is simply an expression of telekinesis. Pegasi wings are far too small to effectively lift the pony. TK does the flying, the wings appear to be for control only. In some cases, this telekinetic flight is stronger and faster than others.

Pegasi also have a racial magic. All pegasi have the same abilities, though the degree of power expressed may vary. Walking on clouds, weather manipulation, and shaping clouds into a safe home environments make up this dramatic racial magic. Further, Pegasi can combine their abilities to produce ever more powerful effects.

Unicorns are masters of telekinesis and magic. Telekinesis can be expressed at range by any unicorn. Further it enables fine control. TK strength varies, but in general it’s about the same as human strength. Unicorns with training can express their telekinesis in many ways including large area effects (as seen by Twilight Sparkle in a number of episodes).

Unicorn Magic: As pictured in the poster, the skull of a unicorn protects a second brain like organ. This is where the expressions of magic come from. Every unicorn has some magical ability, powerful or not. Certain unicorns like Twilight can be trained to act like a true earthy wizard. Most however are limited to their own unique brand of magic (like Rarity’s ability to discover deposits of gem stones).

http://mlpforums.com/topic/3857-equestrian-physiology-101/page__fromsearch__1

Not quite sure who this brilliant pony is. I'll have to do some more research.

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 1

I just don't think about and intentionally avoid thinking about it.

Thinking about it and not other logistical or ontological problems in the show really defeats the consideration; why should we be picky about one aspect of realism and not others- and if we're picky about many or all aspects, why do we not outright disregard the show for being unrealistic? Because we like it being stylized.

No one questions how all Transformers robots violate the Square-Cube Law as well as Law of Conservation of Matter.

"i've got things i've wanted to do for a long time." WTF!!!

It took me a while to find that clip! I saw the original comedy special that the Pee-Wee's Playhouse show was based on once, and I keep thinking about it every time I see the thread's title!

B)

I've figured out how ponies holds their objects. For science!

Pony hooves can vibrate so fast it breaks the sound barrier. In some cases even faster than LIGHT ITSELF!

At such velocities, the hooves constantly push the light away, and they retract so fast the light can't catch up with them on the way back. As such, a "light vacuum" occurs. Like a miniature black hole. The gravity is so strong that it keeps the object stick to the hooves until they stop vibrating. We are talking about very small and precise movements here. The ponies themselves do this subconsciously whenever they desire to hold something. This, however, causes some strain to ankles and such, sometimes making holding objects with your mouth a preferable option.

Also, nice video, Rubix. Way too funny :)

Think of it like this. Lauren Faust worked on PowerPuff Girls. How do the PPGs pick things up without hands? I'd say the same logic applies to Friendship is Magic.

That's a very good point, I always wondered how Blossom picked up the telephone when they only had stubs for arms.

I also prefer the Unicorn's telekinesis the most.

(It's kind of weird to think how Fluttershy holds a megazine open too.)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very good point, I always wondered how Blossom picked up the telephone when they only had stubs for arms.

I also prefer the Unicorn's telekinesis the most.

(It's kind of weird to think how Fluttershy holds a megazine open too.)

Posted Image

Well in PPG there's an episode where they all get their bodies swapped and buttercup becomes proffesor whathisname, then she tries grabbing things by simply touching them with her hands but since these are real hands with fingers and not her magical stubs she can't, and has to learn how to grasp things

So yeah, sticky hooves