Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Griffon Kingdom Inspiration Ideas

TyHopkinson

Hello everypony! So I've read through the forums recently about posts involving the inspiration for the Changeling Empire and they think that it should be like feudal Japan and I think that the Griffons should get a Kingdom/Empire too! So Ive got a question for you all. What do you think the Griffon homeworld should be inspired by? Ive got 2 suggestions. The first one is like Asgard from the movie Thor. I think a beautiful kingdom in the sky would be amazing. The second one would be like Columbia from Bioshock Infinite. If not a kingdom with golden buildings and such, why not a freaking city in the sky? Minus the racism and such (if you have played the game, you know what im talking about.) I would love to hear your ideas guys!

• Brohoof 2

Ordinary ponies where to flimsy to survive the G force's necessary to attempt space travel.

But the Griffons? They where a different story. Strong, with a think feathed coat, a griffon could pull 10g's and shrug it of effortlessly. That is why they tasked with terraforming the the moon.

On a less story like note, I think they are in charge of a moon base prison (like in MIB3) and they where the ones who kept Luna on the moon for 1000 years! :)

• Brohoof 1

I always imagine the griffon kingdom to be like Edoras from LOTR. Basically, it's up in the mountains and ponies would find it hard to reach, unless they were pegasi or unicorns who could teleport. Since griffons are part eagle, it would make sense. They'd also live in tight knit communities, like lion prides.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You see the Changeling Empire as feudal Japan too? Well, I guess great minds think alike.

As for the Griffins, I'm thinking Imperial Germany, you know, the Kaiser and all that.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I forgot the difference between feudal Japan and IMPERIAL Japan. The latter is what I base the Changelings off of. Sorry.

Edited by Magic Man
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

ld be like feudal Japan

It just annoys me, when people make this comparison

Feudal Japan = divided into dozens of provinces, ruled over y warlords with no effective central government, population strictly divided into classes

Changelings  = as far as we know completely united under one ruler (Chrysalis refers to herself as "The Queen of the Changelings"), no discernible ranks beneath.

I always imagine the griffon kingdom to be like Edoras from LOTR. Basically, it's up in the mountains and ponies would find it hard to reach, unless they were pegasi or unicorns who could teleport. Since griffons are part eagle, it would make sense. They'd also live in tight knit communities, like lion prides.

I like the idea of griffons living in mountain strongholds, makes for very cool images.

As for a culture, I think pretty warlike,like the pre-unity pegasi. Something along the lines of the Holy Roman Empire would fitting: Every city/keep has its own ruler, all of them constantly squabbling with each other, with a Emperor/Highking elected from time to time.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

It just annoys me, when people make this comparison

Feudal Japan = divided into dozens of provinces, ruled over y warlords with no effective central government, population strictly divided into classes

Changelings  = as far as we know completely united under one ruler (Chrysalis refers to herself as "The Queen of the Changelings"), no discernible ranks beneath.

I see your point. What of Imperial Japan? Where the Emperor (Chrysalis) is pretty much a second God and is notorious for its ruthless conquests of other lands? Is that more appropriate?

• Brohoof 1

I really dig the idea of the kingdom's cities only being accessible via flying.

After looking through Equestria Prevails's portfolio, I can't help but think of the Griffin Kingdom being inspired by Medieval Europe.

One conceptual idea I thought would be cool was if the capitol city was a giant, ancient tree that's been hollowed out and turned into a castle. Like if Minas Tirith was made out of the White Tree.

Giant_Tree_City.jpg

You know, cuz they're birds!? 

(edited)

I see your point. What of Imperial Japan? Where the Emperor (Chrysalis) is pretty much a second God and is notorious for its ruthless conquests of other lands? Is that more appropriate?

Not really, the Tenno (Emperor)  effectively lost any real power somewhere around 800 AD, which the Shogun (whoever samurai clanleader was strongest at that point in time) calling the shots up until the 19th century. After that the Tenno regained some power, but essentially remained a figurehead, with the actual authority still in the hands of the old military elite.

Imperial Japan was also organized after European example, mostly Britain and Germany, trying to conquer and annex territory and resources .

The changelings strike me as more akin to nomads (Chrysalis mention that they travel) and Twilight mention that their usual MO is tricking ponies into loving them, not taking stuff over.

I like the idea of them traveling in disguise (gypsies, carnival folks ect.) which would allow them to gobble up some affection when they aren't strong enough to stage a coup.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

I like the idea of them traveling in disguise (gypsies, carnival folks ect.) which would allow them to gobble up some affection when they aren't strong enough to stage a coup.

This, pretty much.

I always assumed that they have no homeland or culture or anything because they have no desire to do so. They don't really care about anything else accept feeding on others and obeying their queen, who's sort of a bitch.

• Brohoof 1

I can imagine the Griffins living on high mountains hard for ponies to reach and they would be separated into different tribes. The chief would lead the tribes, but not have to much power and be more of a symbol. They would regulate trade with the other tribes and the warriors would fight other tribes to get more land for themselves. I imagine it to look sort of like this.

ACIII_MohawkVillage_CONCEPT-ART_002.jpg

(edited)

Not really, the Tenno (Emperor)  effectively lost any real power somewhere around 800 AD, which the Shogun (whoever samurai clanleader was strongest at that point in time) calling the shots up until the 19th century. After that the Tenno regained some power, but essentially remained a figurehead, with the actual authority still in the hands of the old military elite.

Imperial Japan was also organized after European example, mostly Britain and Germany, trying to conquer and annex territory and resources .

The changelings strike me as more akin to nomads (Chrysalis mention that they travel) and Twilight mention that their usual MO is tricking ponies into loving them, not taking stuff over.

Well, okay, I can definitely see your point and if they do indeed turn out to be nomads, I'd imagine them definitely something akin to the Huns.

And even so, if they do have a homeland, it doesn't HAVE to be modeled on a culture 100% accurate, but like Equestria, it could be a pix and mix and with it's own styles. It doesn't have to be exactly word-for-word like Imperial Japan, but just draw a lot of inspiration from old Japanese culture. It's just with the Changelings, I definitely like to think of them having a more East Asian culture, with nations like Japan and Korea as prime sources, in contrast to the Western culture of Equestria.

But hell, if we're talking exactly like a real culture, I guess the closest we'd get is what, North Korea? Old Imperial China or current Communist China? I mean, what other real life nations could they be compared to?

Edited by Magic Man

I have to second the Asgard idea. They're half eagle half lion, so that's two very regal creatures in one body.

Best have a society that reflects that.

(edited)

I disagree with the idea that the changelings have a Japanese coulter. For one there is no proof that the changelings have an empire or a kingdom. They seem more like they take over an area and when they are done they move on to the next one. Also they have to much of a war, so I don't think they have any kinda of culture.

Sorry to get off track.

As for the question, I like the idea of Asgard being their home or some kinda of mountain like kingdom, just high in the hills. 

One idea I have heard is that Griffons live in like ice castles. Not sure why just something I heard once. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 1

But hell, if we're talking exactly like a real culture, I guess the closest we'd get is what, North Korea? Old Imperial China or current Communist China? I mean, what other real life nations could they be compared to?

Well, I guess that the changelings don't always operate as a whole (sneaking around gets difficult with hundreds of  guys), so you could easily come up with a group of changelings that have lived in the MLP equivalent of China or Japan, no problem. Changelings living in hiding as a secret society/triad in a China-esque setting is incredible cool.

I really can't see them actually building empires though.

I see the changelings as being more like the Thugs of India sect, as in always on the move and disguising themselves in order to infiltrate groups of travelling ponies so that they can feed on them. They might not necessarily kill them, like the Thugs killed their victims, but I like the idea of the changelings using their powers to travel alongside unwitting ponies.

As I said before, I'm seeing Edoras for the griffins, up in the mountains. A hardy pegasus might fly there, or a skilled unicorn teleport there, but the griffin communities would be out of bounds for most ponies. I can also see them burying their dead with sky burial, too.

• Brohoof 1

I can see that I'm not the only one envisaging the Griffons as being a kind of warlike Germannic Tribal culture sprawled across the mountains. I also see them as being fiercely independent and arrogant; the King would merely be the chieftain of the most powerful tribe. The death of one would encourage provoke a mad scramble among everyone who thinks they are strong enough to be the next.

I tend to view them as the crass, aggressive, and individualistic counterpart to Celestia's nice "let's everyone get along" kingdom. Not to say they are evil, they just have a vastly different philosophy about life.

• Brohoof 1

The Griffen kingdom

I picture it as two ways

1)

Like you said kinda like Asgard

Asgard_by_Nurkhular.jpg

2)

I also picture it like Skyloft, a location in th LoZ Skyward sword

skyloft.png

Edited by Phoenix237