Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on masculinity? Help a fellow brony out with her senior thesis...

BronyTheory

Hey everypony,

My name is Leah Palmer, and I'm a senior at Warren Wilson College, studying anthropology. For my senior thesis, I'm exploring how masculinity is understood, interpreted, and negotiated by bronies. I asked Feld0 if I could post a few questions on here for data collection purposes, and was happily granted permission.

While I may or may not use your comments in my research paper, your name, or any other identifiers, will not be included in the interest of confidentiality. If you would like to participate, but not publicly, for whatever reason, please message me and we can continue a conversation there. Further, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to send me a message there or to my college email at lpalmer.s12@warren-wilson.edu. Attached is my Informed Consent Form which details my research and your rights as a participant. I request that you look it over before you post, as it may answer a question or two, and it lets you know what you and I are allowed to do with respect to this research. However, as I said before, your names will not be collected or included in my research, and this paper will not be published, so risks regarding confidentiality are negligible.

I am primarily looking for responses from males, but will accept all answers.

I'm posting a set of questions below. You can answer all of them, one of them, or however many you want - whatever you're comfortable with, whatever you want to express. Please include the number of the question with your answer. Be as honest and as thorough as you can. If you have any situations or stories that are relevant and that you feel comfortable sharing, please do! Your participation will make my thesis stronger, and you may learn something interesting in the process.

And again, if you'd rather express your full opinion privately, please contact me. I want to hear what you have to say!

Questions:

1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?'

2. Who was/is your primary male role model? What is he like? How is he involved in your life? (as in, do you talk frequently/about personal things; where/how often do you interact; what do you do together? etc)

3. How do you typically respond to sexist comments/jokes/behavior? What do you think of the idea of traditional gender roles (i.e., men are this, do this, like these things; women are that, do that, like those things)?

4. Have you learned anything from MLP? If so, what?

5. Are you an out brony or a closet brony?

- What made you decide to be out - or not?

- If out: What happened, if anything, when you came out as a brony?

- If closet: What do you think would happen if you were to come out as a brony? Why do you think that?

- What experiences have you had as an out or closet brony?

And the classic ending...

6. Who is your favorite pony and why?

Thanks for you participation, y'all! I really appreciate any answers you can provide.

-Leah

Leah thesis thing.doc

• Brohoof 3

1. To me a man is a male-identified person who isn't afraid to stick up for what they believe in. To society a man is a person with biological "male" parts 18+.

2. A lot of men are. I can't choose one!

3. I usually lean away from them with distaste.

4. I've learned about open-mindness.

5. Somewhere in the middle. If someone asks I'll tell them.

6. Twilight Sparkle. She is a new kind of protagonist. Most of them are like Pinkie, not that I don't love her or anything. She's different than most main characters are. 

Second favourite - Applejack.

Edited by тwιℓιgнт ѕραякℓє
  • Brohoof 1

1. A man to me, is one who takes care of his family and himself the best he can. A man to society, is one who has to love all sports, and love everything a man has to.

2. My dad, grandfather, and my uncles were a huge role model for me when growing up. They still are actually.

3. I respond with a laugh, if it is directed toward me to show them it does;t bother me. But, if it happens to someone else I stand up for them. Now, with the gender stereotypes, I believe all are equal so I disagree with them.

4. I learned I can enjoy a show for "little girls" and love it.

5. I am in open brony. What made me decide to come out, is just because I like a show mean no reason why I should hide it. When I came out as a brony, many things happened. My friends watched the show and liked it, and I've had great experiences.

6. My favorite pony if Fluttershy, because she's just to cute, and loves animals like me.

Hope that helps!

/)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves

I live in San Miguel, El Salvador. People here is really "machista" so I know a little bit of this. But my answers will be short :3

1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?'

A man is a human with penis. That's it.

To society, is the one who has the hardest job or, something like that. Really don't know or care.

2. Who was/is your primary male role model? What is he like? How is he involved in your life? (as in, do you talk frequently/about personal things; where/how often do you interact; what do you do together? etc)

My father is my primary role model. He's really chilled and he can be really calm even in a hard situation. We talk frequently about regular, day to day issues because he doesn't live with us anymore.

3. How do you typically respond to sexist comments/jokes/behavior? What do you think of the idea of traditional gender roles (i.e., men are this, do this, like these things; women are that, do that, like those things)?

I hate those things. I mean, there are somethings that you can't change, I guess, but it has been proven that both women and men are capable of doing almost any job, be it a fashion designer or a systems engineer.

That female characters are capable of outrule male characters, but without being all over "in your face" about it. It's like feminism, but better: instead of talking about being equal and feeling oppresed, they show that they are capable of doing great things without b*tching about being women.

OUT!

- What made you decide to be out?

That it is stupid to hide the fact that I enjoy something. If it isn't bad or illegal, then why would I hide it?

Some people lost respect and thought I was gay. Others don't take me seriously and others think that I'm a freak. Still, I can prove them that I'm a good person and capable of doing great stuff.

They've mocked me, but nothing too hard. Losing some friends was tuff, but why would I want friends that can't accept me the way I am?

6. Fluttershy. She's cute but that doesn't mean she can't be a strong pony when she needs to. Kind of like me (I'm not cute, but I'm kind of less "macho" :3)

Edited by cd_solidsnake

1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?'  To not be influenced by fear.  To bring home bacon.

2. Who was/is your primary male role model? What is he like? How is he involved in your life? (as in, do you talk frequently/about personal things; where/how often do you interact; what do you do together? etc)  Naruto, yes Naruto, from the manga.  Well he's a manga hero so we don't do anything together...  But he is inspirational to me .

3. How do you typically respond to sexist comments/jokes/behavior? What do you think of the idea of traditional gender roles (i.e., men are this, do this, like these things; women are that, do that, like those things)?  I have never once cared about sexist jokes ever.  I have never once cared about traditional gender roles, if kids play with dolls they don't want to play with I find that extremely stupid.

4. Have you learned anything from MLP? If so, what?  Bright colors and good characters can make me watch anything.

5. Are you an out brony or a closet brony?  Out I guess

- What made you decide to be out - or not?  Not caring what other people think

- If out: What happened, if anything, when you came out as a brony?  Nothing because no one cared

- If closet: What do you think would happen if you were to come out as a brony? Why do you think that?

- What experiences have you had as an out or closet brony?  My nephews friends laughed at me so I beat them up.  Na just kidding, I just joke around about it and no one generally cares

6. Who is your favorite pony and why?  Fluttershy because I like the color yellow

To be confident in the face of adversity (toughness), standing up for yourself when you're under pressure, being loyal to yourself and having strong morals to support your psyche. This works both ways for myself and what I think society views in being a man.

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots! He's a classic case of how hard work and determination mixed with talent can put you over the top.

Jokes, I laugh with them. Satire is one of my favourite past times. But generally I am defensive of such comments that try to stereotype either gender because there are folks out there that behave much differently than people label them to be. It's silly, stupid, and not to mention very uninformed. No, we don't do this, and we certainly don't do that! We do, however, do this which I realize may be very different than what you normally thought of it, but it's true. Try to accept it.

Nothing that I hadn't already. Being a good sport, respecting others, getting along others, and learning to love genuinely -- all of them from either Star Trek or watching games and games of basketball or football. My Little Pony simply reinforces those beliefs and respects.

I am not, but I will only admit I am one in public if someone asks. Last semester in English class I made a powerpoint presentation about Friendship is Magic and bronies and I was very well-received, with a lot of positive laughs to boot.

The term "closet brony" is a silly one because it implies being a brony is something to be ashamed of -- it's not, unless you lead an unhealthy lifestyle because of FIM, it's not much different than being a fan of something else. There is no real need to hide it, or to flaunt it around. Is liking a TV show filled with colourful equines so bad?

I love Fluttershy because of how soft-spoken she is. I also think she's much prettier than people give her credit for -- that's a rare combination you'll ever find in the real world, and is worth cherishing, much like the rest of the Mane Six. I'm also keen on Twilight Sparkle.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 1

I guess it means to be strong and supportive, willing to do what has to be done, determined and willing to stick to your values. They also have to identify as a man. I'm not sure if I can come up with a definition based on all of society.

I'd say my father. He's an excellent role model, very hardworking and fairly involved in my life. We don't talk about personal things very often, but he's pretty helpful when we do. We do all sorts of miscellaneous and fun activities from time to time.

I find the attitude fairly disgusting. Generalizations and stereotypes don't do justice to how complex people actually are. As for traditional gender roles, I don't have much of an opinion about them. If one wants to follow them, fine. If one wants to do the opposite, fine. I don't feel comfortable trying to decide how someone should lead their life.

I don't know if I've learned anything specifically, but I believe that it has reinforced several things that I already knew but didn't think about, and for that I am grateful.

1-Out brony.

2: I didn't see the point it hiding it. It would've been too stressful anyway.

3: Nothing particularly. Everything was generally positive. My siblings also became bronies.

4: Nothing very interesting unfortunately.

Rainbow Dash. I find her very cute, complex, relatable, and overall a delight to watch. I also wrote an extensive blog post about it a while back.

Hope I could assist you in some way. Good luck :)

Edited by Strawhat

A man to me is a human with male reproductive organs.

To society, a man is a human with male reproductive organs, but is also a dominant figure, the provider of a family, strong, etc., idk.

All of the role models in my life were fictional characters from various video games, most often the player character. They were pretty much me, only a lot better; who I wanted to be.

To jokes, I mostly don't care. To actual sexism, I don't know. I haven't seen too many cases where I was face to face with someone who was being incredibly sexist. Probably either try to defend whoever is getting the brunt of it, or let my asociality get the best of me, ignore it, and leave.

From MLP itself, I don't know. Shows not intended for my age group and gender can be good, I was inspired to try and be a bit more kind to everyone, and to appreciate friendship a bit more, although I still don't have many, if any, friends.

The community taught me a bit more; to be open minded, that I really like electronic music, and etc.

5. Are you an out brony or a closet brony? An "out" Brony, I guess.

- What made you decide to be out - or not? To me, it is just a show I watch. No different than any other media I enjoy.

- If out: What happened, if anything, when you came out as a brony? Well, I guess when I "came out" was when I started wearing a bag with Fluttershy on it to school. A couple teachers asked if it belonged to my sister(although, I do not have my sister), I made a couple of acquaintances with other Bronies, I got a couple of "I love your bag!"s from people I don't know, and a bunch of people asked me about it.

- What experiences have you had as an out or closet brony? Meh. Not much that I haven't said already. Although, something interesting that happened recently, yesterday, in fact. My history teacher started asking me questions about it, and, after answering, I told him if he was curious he could watch an episode on YT himself and recommended Party of One. So, he pulled up YT on his school comp, and we watched the beginning of Party of One together. Then, he laughed and told me he might watch it over the weekend. Guess if he watches it, I'll find out his opinion in a couple days.

Fluttershy. I relate to her the most, and she is adorable.

Hello Leah. :)

1. To me, to be a man means to be a strong and responsible individual. Or to be a full grown male, either works really, and I believe I am both of these things(well, the second thing is sort of indisputable haha). Society's view on men seems to be that it's the man who does the work and whatnot, which I both agree and disagree with on some levels.

2. I suppose the closest thing I have to a role model is my father, but I'd say I don't really have one honestly. He's a good guy but certainly not perfect, and we talk all the time of course.

3. I find minor sexism like jokes funny I suppose, but am strongly opposed to more serious sexism like, say, how women are treated in the Muslim religion. When it comes to traditional gender roles, I prefer them, but am not opposed to others choosing a lifestyle that veers of the norm.

4. If I've learned one thing from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it's to never judge a book by its cover.

5. I am an out brony. I decided to be because I don't feel the need to hide anything from anyone. When I decided to tell my parents I liked My Little Pony, my mother laughed when I told her, and my father seemed a little weirded out by it at first, but you know, it's just a show you know, so it's not really a big deal to them. I still prefer watching the show alone and don't buy much pony merch though.

6. My favorite pony is Rarity, because she is such an individual, there is really nopony else like her, she's just plain awesome.

1. It means the same as being a person in general, being strong, strong enough to admit you are not perfect but to always try to better yourself, do the right things and be honest and faithful.

2. There are many male role models in my life but the one that had the most influence on me was my Dad. My Dad was always there for me no matter what, even when he was so sick he could barely stand up he still thought about me, my brother and my Mom. Even toward the end, may he rest in peace.

3. There is a time and a place for those kind of jokes but as long as someone is just joking I generally don't care. As for gender roles I could seriously care less. Just because I am a man dosen't mean that I can't be sensitive, caring and honest about my feelings.

4. I learned that things aren't always what they seem, a show that seems like it will only appeal to little girls can also appeal to people of all genders and ages if written well.

5. While I don't go out of my way to tell people I don't go out of my way to hide it either, I treat it like yet another one of my many interests. The only time I ever went out of my way to tell anyone was making a youtube video about it, not because I felt I was making some huge confession but because for some reason I just felt like it. I really could care less who knows or dosen't know, if someone understands than great if they don't than the joke is one them as they are wasting their time hating on something they probably haven't even given a chance.

6. It is a three way tie between Applejack, Twilight Sparkle and Luna. There are many reasons why I like them but the main one is I see a lot of myself in all three of them. Like Applejack I am honest to a fault, hard working and am not afraid to tell it like it is even though what I say isn't always popular. Like Twilight Sparkle I love reading, a nearly unquenchable thirst for knowledge and a somewhat nerdy side. And like Luna I was often misunderstood and struggled to fit in.

Ok, this is pretty cool. I know what its like writing stuff like this so I'll do my best.

1. To me a "man" is a male who takes care of his responsibilities whether they be to his children, spouse, or employer. Societies definition I think is a male who likes sports, guns, action movies, cars, and participates in manly activities.

2. My male role model is my father. He has always been very sportive both financially and emotionally, (when I told my family about MLP he was the first to accept it) and he has always been my template for how a man should act towards others. In my adult life he is like an adviser or consulate when I need to make big decisions. We still talk often, about nearly everything from philosophy and politics to my own stupid obsessions.

3. As far as sexist jokes are concerned I don't really think to much about them. I don't agree with the stereotypes they set, but I don't get offended when I hear them. Well being a brony I can't really say anything about gender roles, I think my choices in entertainment can state it more accurately than any witty quote or euphemism.

4. If anything the show has taught to appreciate things for what they are and what they represent rather than the labels that society has placed on them.

5. I am actually very open about the show, I have several t-shirts and pins that I wear all the time. Really the reason that I became an out brony was because I really didn't have anything to lose, I'm already the weird guy in the group and my brother would have told someone eventually  The only memorable experience I've had as an out brony was when I went to school wearing one of my MLP t-shirts, and a some guy in my class made a big deal out of it, I told him "I had the guts to walk onto a college campus wearing a pretty pink pony even though I knew you would give me crap about it. I think that's more "many" than anything I've seen you do, so lay off."

6. I think that my favorite pony would have to be Fluttershy. Manly because her quiet and introverted personality reminds me of myself when I was a child.

Always glad to help a fellow student, if you need anything else for this paper just pm me.

Edited by firesoxs

A man is simply someone of the male gender who does his best to take care of his loved ones in both the physical and emotional ways. Society views a Man as someone who has to be tough,macho and strong, someone who has no fear and prefers violence over caring.

My Male Role model would be a teacher I had. He is a smart man with many theories about life and happily exchanged them with his students, I learned alot from the man and we have had many deep conversations about a wide variety of topics.

If someone makes a non thought out sexist comment about myself or fellow bronies, I try to tell the ma few facts that would disprove what they say, but some times this only stokes the fire, so I block and ignore, moving on with my day. Traditional gender rolls are always changing and why it may not be "masculine" to like MLP:FiM right now, hopefully one day it will become more acceptable to be a caring individual as a man. 

I've learned to become kinder and more tolerant to my fellow man. In the recent year or so that I've been a Brony I have become kinder then I was years ago, and It's a great improvement in my opinion.

I'm an "out" Brony and I decided to be so because there is nothing to be ashamed of as a Brony, it's an excellent group to be a part of. When I came out as a Brony I obviously got raised eyebrows at first but eventually my friends and family accepted it and actually enjoyed me more.

My favourite is Rainbow Dash, because she seems to be the one I most identify with when ti comes to personality, and there are people who hate her for her boastfulness, but when it comes down to it, she is a deeply loyal friend to the rest, similar to how I am with my friends.

(Wall of text)

Hmm. This is a very interesting topic...I'm not sure that I've seen something like this before.

In my opinion, the term "man" is just a term to describe gender. Although it's usually associated with concepts such as "strength" or "bravery", etc., I've seen one too many people who consider themselves "real men" but lack some very important qualities. To me, if a man wants to be remembered for something, he should strive to be a gentleman. Chivalry is a certain character trait that suddenly vanished in the 21st century, and that makes me a bit sad. I wish that we could see more men who work honestly, use common courtesy, and who are willing to put themselves in harm's way to protect his fellow man. (And by "man" I mean both genders, with even more emphasis on treating ladies with respect.)

I'd say my father was my primary role model. He was always firm, yet never harsh, and was always willing to listen, no matter what. He never fought or argued with my mother, and he even made a rule between them that they would never discuss the idea of "divorce", even jokingly. (When he vowed "the good times and the bad" or "in sickness and in health", he was 100% committed, with zero reserved thoughts.)

I don't endorse blatantly sexist jokes, as some of them come across the wrong way. I wouldn't want someone to accidentally get the wrong opinion of me simply because I told a joke at the wrong time. Every once and a while I'll come across one that I laugh at, that's pretty much the extent of my involvement. I try to make a point of avoiding such jokes, unless I'm absolutely positive that the situation is fit for such. (And it would have to be a rather light-hearted joke as well.)

"Gender roles" would have to be defined in order to start discussing it. While I wouldn't say that "men are always like ________ and women are always like ________", there are definitely things that set the two apart (and not in a bad way). Men and women have different thought patterns and logical processes - it's just how we're wired. In fact, it's what helps make culture, art, etc. more diversified and interesting. A quote that my friend relayed to me: "If everyone in the world were engineers, we'd have no art!"

Now, that's obviously not always the case - I'm both an engineer and an artist. However, the concept of "engineering minds portray X trends while sacrificing in Y areas" can be applied as a psuedo "rule of thumb". (Perhaps an "over-generalization" is a better way to describe it.)

I wouldn't say that I've "learned" much in the regular definition of the word, but it has definitely reenforced the character traits that my parents tried to instill in me as a child. This was the first TV show that I had witnessed in a VERY long time that was both entertaining, yet also clean of profanity, politics, gore, etc. that is often injected into current media. On top of that, it even managed to teach life lessons in a very fun and practical way. In some ways, I think it's beneficial to be reminded of these seemingly simple lessons, especially when the world takes so much of them for granted.

I was very much a closet Brony to begin with, but now my usual group of friends/family knows. The key is just to not make it such a big deal. If you make it a big deal, then people will think it's something very notable. Or weird. Mostly the latter.

On the other hand, I generally tend not to tell anyone that I don't know very well, such as other students at college, etc. I enjoy discussing the topic with people, but I had a rather...unpleasant experience once where I was the subject of some very serious accusations and vulgar jokes that I won't repeat here, or anywhere else. As unfortunate as it is, the world isn't totally accepting of neon colored ponies.

Ouch, that's the hardest question here! img-1368915-1-tongue.png

I'd have to say Fluttershy or Princess Luna, simply because they're so CUTE!

To give a more reasoned response though, I think that they're both characters to which I would relate well. (On second thought, I think I'd relate well to all of them, but I like FS and PL specifically. img-1368915-2-tongue.png)

Fluttershy is without courage in a lot of cases, and Luna is often portrayed without many friends. A childish piece of me wishes I could befriend them and fill said gaps.

-----------

And if I might lend a personal opinion: MLP is popular with men because it fills a piece of the psychological puzzle that we often miss. How so, you ask? Allow me to explain.

It is said that females often tend to emulate a very maternal nature. That is a very broad stroke, so it has plenty of exceptions, but in general this looks to be true. Such is the case with a very close family friend of ours - she can't have kids, but she treats her cats as her "children". Not only does this deal with wanting to have kids, but it also bleeds over into interpersonal relations (as females tend to link events to memory via emotion), and the way that they organize their daily life. I'm just tapping the outer surface of this idea, but I hope that this makes sense.

The question becomes: "If it is indeed true that women have a general nature like that, what is the equivalent for men?"

I'd venture to say that men have a goal oriented nature; more specifically, I see a trend of wanting to defend something.

Take video games like first person shooters. "Defend your flag", "protect the civilians", "save the motherland", and so on. In most first person shooters, there is something that is in danger of being lost, whether it be territory or lives, and it drags in massive sums of money. (I'm not crediting FPS's success to that single purpose, but I feel that it at least plays some role.)

Broaden that scope even further. Assisting teammates, group dynamics, strategy, risk calculation; the list goes on. I myself have a few different video games where I've put in 1000+ hours into the game. Don't get me wrong, I have a hoot while slinging a few hundred virtual bullets downrange, but if other guys are anything like me, I think there's a comfort in imagining a world where you could (potentially) simply relax with a pony in your lap, pour out some affection on her, and just enjoy existing without life traveling at a million miles an hour.

Make no mistake: I think that last part is true of EVERYONE. I'm sure that the wish to simply "relax" is something that we all yearn for.

That was just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. There are always exceptions to the "standard" definitions, because people are unique. And perhaps that's the foundation for the love of this show: one episode can reach out, grab the attention of many unique individuals, drag those individuals together in an online space, and somehow have them relate to each other, even without them knowing who the other individuals are in real life.

Wow. That was waaaaay longer than I thought it was going to be. I hope this helps! img-1368915-3-tongue.png

As one last question: are you a Brony? I can't quite tell...this sounds like something that only a Brony would start, but on the other hand, I could see someone doing this kind of research just because it's so different!

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

Hey, Leah. My answers may seem to circumvent the question at times, but it's necessary to convey my views.

The phrase "be a man" is meaningless to me. Such a phrase implies a distinction between males and females that does not inherently exist. All humans are capable of feeling the same emotions; thus, rejecting any aspect renders an incomplete experience of being human. Attempting to categorize feelings as "manly" or "feminine" restricts people's development (both emotional and logical). I view myself and others as individuals. Their sex doesn't change influence my thoughts about them.

Every culture has different perspectives on that role. Common one's include: a dominant head of the household/someone who's actions speak more than their words/a rational creature rather than an emotional one/someone who's interest center around athletics, cars, being interested in females/a caretaker. Just to name a few of the popular preconceptions.

I don't have a role model. Raised as a Christian and being an obedient child, I simply kept up my grades and followed my parents instructions. I became an excellent listener from that time, but finally applied that active listening in high school English class. I discovered a talent for finding inconsistencies in stories and other people's reasoning. Not long after, I began pondering about everything that came into mind- including my religion. After contemplating it all for a while, I realized I did not believe in God and approached my parents about it before long. Furthermore, this revelation intensified my deliberation on all aspects of life which soon spiraled into uninhibited thought. It's no exaggeration to say my mind was in control of me. I literally could not prevent myself from analyzing everything spoken, read, felt, and thought. Became OCD pretty quickly, which made very simple experiences much more than they were to most. I'll expand on this story much more if asked, but moving on to the point. I've found my own answers to life through organizing that storm of thought, meditating on the past, and drawing from all experiences since (as I will continue to do).

My friends make such comments from time to time. I logically break down why that isn't the case. Often drawing from my first answer, pointing out the origin of those stereotypes/sophistries, and/or saying experiences make everyone unique (sex cannot distinguish such characteristics).

The traditional gender roles may have originally arisen as a mutual relationship that divided the responsibilities between mates. Male hunted while women gathered. The main reasons behind that system range from wanting to keep wives out of reach from other men/someone to take care of the child/etc. Regardless, the roles that began have been perpetuated in many cultures and given birth to many false connections that validate natural roles. Just to list a few: limiting their place in government, falsifying medical/anatomical findings to support male desires(details would get explicit), and ultimately creating a system that depicts and almost demands such subservience to survive. Again, I could go on for a while, but to conclude: gender roles- as they are in most societies- are built upon a history of propaganda and sustained deeply embedded social standards (many of which aren't even considered degrading or limiting because it's something we're overloaded with in various forms of media that prevents most from considering otherwise). I don't agree with them, to say the least.

Yes and no. Even if you understand something, it doesn't mean you'll follow through with it. As previously mentioned, I spent much time contemplating various parts of life. After quelling most of my impulsive thinking and the quirks that followed, I adopted a completely neutral outlook and disposition towards everything. Partially on purpose to continue viewing everything from an unbiased standpoint, but also because those years made me unwillingly logical. Despite being highly empathetic in earlier years (simulating other's experiences-whether real or fictional), I couldn't bring myself to truly feel happiness or sadness. Whenever I got goosebumps from a movie scene or laughed at anything, I'd instantly theorize what triggered it and why I responded to it. Needless to say, life wasn't that enjoyable. I continued watching many incredible anime that sparked periods of renewed spirit and energy, but the feelings were always sustained by my desire to feel happy rather than genuinely being happy. After living on my own in college, I had much free time without anything that motivated me to work. I've never forgotten that I can change my habits and grow, but failed to make lasting progress. MLP has only been a part of my life for a few weeks, but I can honestly say it's changed my life. It pushed me out of that apathy and taught me to genuinely smile. All the friends I never sought out on my own now make my daily life so much brighter. As I'm typing this, liquid pride comes to my eyes....I've always known people are as close as you allow them to be, but could never feel that connection until now.

It is not so much a decision, as a way of life. After reading a bit about my past, you probably understand why I value freedom of thought and expression above all else. It's not only necessary for genuine understanding between people, but prevents us from being trapped by falsehoods and misguided beliefs. It's essential to my happiness, and something I will not stop. I told my parents about it as subtly as stating my doubts about their religion. Asked them if I could go to Baltimore for a convention, sent them a link when they asked, and am currently banishing their concerns about bronies. I've kept good bonds with my brothers and parents. Although skeptical, they're willing to listen to what I have to say- which is all I need; however, something else has changed in me. Before becoming a brony, I countered stereotypes and such biases somewhat zealously. It was the one thing that broke my silence over the neutral years, but now I'm composed even then.

I've told some friends that I'm a Brony while others have just seen me browsing these forums. Whether they responded positively or skeptically, they already respect me for who I am and accept it. While I am fairly new to the community, I feel as though I've been a part of it forever. Should I encounter any malice from others, I'm prepared to dispel it or accept it.

Twilight Sparkle's development over the series has been the most moving to me. Her personality has been refined beautifully from the influence of her friends. Plus, the symbolism surrounding Twilight is also the most prevalent and intriguing. She represents magic, which has matured from the influence of her friends(The Elements of Harmony). Clearly, "friendship is magic". I'd love to delve into the implications and theories, but have already touched on it in another place. I also relate with her initial disinterest in friends and the moment the spark was born inside her heart (that made her understand the magic of friendship).

Edited by ForeverAnimated

Sorry if i'm being to literal, but to me, being a man is a male that has fully matured. nothing more, nothing less. However, in society it's diferrent. It seems like you have to like certain things, and not like certain things (like this show for example). 

2. N/A

I usually just ignore them. some of my frineds make them and I know I can't really prevent them from saying them. I don't think gender roles should really apply anymore.However, one reason they might still be around today, is because back in 'older' times, Women were actually forced to stay at home and do the laundry/cooking etc...

No, except a couple ways to get out of wierd situations, not actually from watching the show itself.

Mix

I see no need currentley to share my interests in the show, as i've done with many other things i like. When the time comes that I actually want to be open about it, which will probably happen, i will reveal myself, albiet casually.

I think it would be weird for the first dau or so, but then no one would really care and I'd just carry on as normal.

Twilight Sparkle, mainly because i can relate to her. She is like the pony version of me(although female, and maybe a bit more organized). 

Hey everypony,

My name is Leah Palmer, and I'm a senior at Warren Wilson College, studying anthropology. For my senior thesis, I'm exploring how masculinity is understood, interpreted, and negotiated by bronies. I asked Feld0 if I could post a few questions on here for data collection purposes, and was happily granted permission.

While I may or may not use your comments in my research paper, your name, or any other identifiers, will not be included in the interest of confidentiality. If you would like to participate, but not publicly, for whatever reason, please message me and we can continue a conversation there. Further, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to send me a message there or to my college email at lpalmer.s12@warren-wilson.edu. Attached is my Informed Consent Form which details my research and your rights as a participant. I request that you look it over before you post, as it may answer a question or two, and it lets you know what you and I are allowed to do with respect to this research. However, as I said before, your names will not be collected or included in my research, and this paper will not be published, so risks regarding confidentiality are negligible.

I am primarily looking for responses from males, but will accept all answers.

I'm posting a set of questions below. You can answer all of them, one of them, or however many you want - whatever you're comfortable with, whatever you want to express. Please include the number of the question with your answer. Be as honest and as thorough as you can. If you have any situations or stories that are relevant and that you feel comfortable sharing, please do! Your participation will make my thesis stronger, and you may learn something interesting in the process.

And again, if you'd rather express your full opinion privately, please contact me. I want to hear what you have to say!

Questions:

Thanks for you participation, y'all! I really appreciate any answers you can provide.

-Leah

1. To be a man is to be male. It's all the chromosomes. Society seems to believe that being a man has something to do with violence, rap music, and football.

2. IDK

3. I think it's stupid. Gender roles are never black and white. It's all gray. There is no "Men are this and women are that," there is only "Some men are this and some women are that."

4. I learn more from the community than the show itself. The bronies taught me that there is no reason to be ashamed of something that isn't usually associated with your gender.

5. I'm not a closet brony. I decided that it didn't matter. I revealed that I was a brony and the result was making new friends.

6.Pinkie Pie is best pony because she is fucking Pinkie Pie.

Edited by Appetite4Democracy

1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?

To me, being a man means to be physically done growing (adult), thoughtful, and take responsibilities. Society often tend to view men based on their interests, and judge them accordingly.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to like whatever you like and stick to your interests. I have never been made fun of for liking MLP before, but I have seen people who have. Often people are teased for liking MLP due to stereotypes and the fact that the show looks like it's only for very young girls. This brings me to my second point: don't always judge things based on its exterior appearance. Sure, MLP can look like a show for little girls at first glance, but it takes an open mind to discover that it is not just kids show but is enjoyable to all ages of any gender.

Pinkie Pie. I didn't need to watch even half of Season 1 to know that. Pinkie is flippin hilarious, and in my opinion the best Pinkie jokes were from Season 1. My personality is hardly relatable to Pinkie Pie's, but nontheless she's a fun character and makes me laugh out loud more than any other instances in the show. 

Questions:

Answer:

My definition : Male human beeing over the Age of 18

Society: Agressive , rarely emotional, violent, rather unartistic male human beeing. 

Karl Erik Scheibler (My big Brother)

freeminded artist . (Musician)

I tend to mention the fact that jokes of this kind are quite childish and unmature

I think that traditional genderroles are useless and just based upon clichees  and close minded views. A person is what he/she is ....a human beeing and a persons likes and dislikes do not determine their , so called , male or female genderidentification. A person should like or hate things according  to the persons personal point of view and taste.

Nothing new .

Closet 

-i am a rather shining target for ignorrant insults and closeminded hatefire without everyone knowing that i am a brony. (I am to honest and too progressive for my surroundings.

- people would probably try to force an  agressive reaction out of me.

-no mentionable experiences

Fluttershy :Why ? well....she is cute and a very calm

1. Being a man has changed really. Personally I don't see any separation between male and women except that of obvious. I guess the main one is to being someone there to comfort the other half and to offer moral support to others. 

2. Man...Do I even have one....I am so different to many of the "men" (If you can call them that) around me >_<

3. I am usually the ones spewing them out. But all in good fun don't get me wrong. I won't go up to a woman and blurt out sexist comments...even if the temptation compels me to do so (if they are being a dick towards the male species). Nor will I be directly racist towards another person, it's more a playful matter between friends. 

4. ~I haven't learnt anything per se. All it has done in reinforce all the attributes that make me..me...

Thought without MLP I wouldn't have you lot.

5. I am an open brony. Have been since the beginning. I am one because I couldn't give two shits what other people think of me. I have been judged all my life for certain things and I've grown to not care anymore. However friends (and some family) have been accepting and I sometimes watch MLP with a friend and share artwork. 

6. Isn't it obvious? Fluttershy...Duh

Nah I can't choose between Fluttershy, Derpy or Luna. They all have qualities which I adore ^^

Also I'm a bit of a Twi-Pie-Shy person...Hurr Hurr it rhymes. I am a lot like the combination of the three ponies.

I don't actually think there is a definition to being a man, I'm a man, yet most people tend to think I'm a girl. If you have male genitalia, you're a man. Society, which is something I despise with a passion, shines men in the wrong like, making us look like we all need to be buff, macho men who all like football and guns and manly shit. Manly is just a word modern society abuses.

I would say my father, but... Nah, I don't have many role models, I tend to care for myself most of the time. If I do have any, most of them would be from books, like A game of thrones or something similar.

I don't care what people think of me, I go on with my life, my way. As for sexism, it's retarded, people should be allowed to do what they want to do without discrimination.

I learned to be a nicer, less physically violent person. I also learned to stop caring about what people think of me. I live my life my way.

I'm openly brony, I wear merchandise and T-Shirts in public.

I learned to stop caring if people liked me or not.

I live in a area where bronies are scarce, general reaction was "What's a brony?" After I explained, I even got a few people to watch it. I consider myself lucky, I know this might be a harder process for others.

A bit of teasing from friends, nothing much, as I said, Bronies in this area are rare.

Pinkie Pie, I can relate to her in a few ways, with my friends, I'm outgoing and love to talk all the time. I also think she's adorable, and can make me happy whenever I'm in a depressed mood.

Questions: 1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?'   2. Who was/is your primary male role model? What is he like? How is he involved in your life? (as in, do you talk frequently/about personal things; where/how often do you interact; what do you do together? etc)   3. How do you typically respond to sexist comments/jokes/behavior? What do you think of the idea of traditional gender roles (i.e., men are this, do this, like these things; women are that, do that, like those things)?   4. Have you learned anything from MLP? If so, what?   5. Are you an out brony or a closet brony?       - What made you decide to be out - or not?       - If out: What happened, if anything, when you came out as a brony?       - If closet: What do you think would happen if you were to come out as a brony? Why do you think that?       - What experiences have you had as an out or closet brony?   And the classic ending... 6. Who is your favorite pony and why?

1. Have male genitals? You're a man, have fun. Wear dresses, sleep with other guys, whatever. I don't care, whatever makes you happy. I think society's view might be a little more strict than mine, but I live in a really dumb redneck town so my experiences aren't really indicative of society as a whole. Anyways, in the society I live in, being a man means you marry a woman, you are the head of the household, and you support your family.

2. I've had a few male role models growing up, piano teacher, babysitter, etc. But I can't point to any single one and say "they influenced me the most". And those role models could be women as well. Or some philosopher who died long ago. Or an anonymous internet user. My point is, I try not to have a single role model, a single way of thinking.

3. With family and/or friends? Make one back, laugh it off. Some person I don't know who's not kidding around? Stare at them for a few seconds then ignore them and move on with my day. As far as gender roles go, I don't mind them. Whatever makes people happy. It boggles my mind how someone can get upset over someone they don't know and the way they live their life. Seriously, how do these people find the time and energy to get mad at a woman who goes to work and mows the lawn? Believe whatever you want about how men and women should act, that's fine. Trying to get other people to fit your mold is psychotic.

4. Not really.

5. I suppose I'm closet? Nobody else knows I like the show, if they asked, I'd say yes. I'd try and get my family/friends involved, but I have no idea how to pitch the idea. "Well it's a show for little girls but it doesn't suck and there's all these people who like it but no they're not creepy" and on and on. Save that headache for later. I might get a t-shirt at some point, but I've got better things to spend money on than merchandise.

6. Applejack. Smart, hard-working, I dunno, I just really admire her character.

• Brohoof 1

I am a woman, but I wanna put some of my two cents in this thread anyways.

First, I do want to say that what is masculine and what is feminine does change depending on the culture. This is due to Hollywood and the media imposing their ideas, currently. Before, it probably depended on the town or country that you grew up in and how everyone around you defined masculinity.

However, despite the changes our society makes about what is masculine and what is feminine still has roots of truth - that men and women are biologically different, and therefore different, period. Yes, we do feel many of the same emotions and go through many of the same problems in life, but the way that men and women react to those problems is most likely different.

Not only do men and women have different genitals, they have different hormones, and their bodies develop differently as they grow older. These hormones - testosterone and androgen in men and estrogen and progesterone in women - cause us to act a little differently, at least by instinct. Granted, we are sentient beings and we are beyond instinct many times, but if we even have different instincts in the first place, then that disproves the idea that men and women are the same. Because even on a biological level, they are not.

I do believe that Hollywood's idea about masculinity is mostly bullshit. But that doesn't mean that there are no differences, it just mean that the differences are more basic and biological than we may think.

As some of you may know, bronies and masculinity is a subject that I am intrigued by. But the following idea came to me as I was reading some of the responses to this thread.

What if My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is bringing out the inner dad in bronies? The instinct of fatherhood in a world where fatherhood is considered a repression of freedom? Where fatherhood is not so desired anymore?

If MLP is revealing a desire for fatherhood, then that gives me hope for fatherhood in the future. I am not saying that all bronies are going to want to be dads just by watching the show on a regular basis, but rather MLP is revealing something to men that most other TV shows are either ignoring or repressing in men.

Just a thought.

• Brohoof 1

1. What being a man means to me is that simply I am of male gender. I can't see any other big distinctions then that.What it means to be a man, well it's means that you are of the male gender as well aha. I understand that men do have different mind set based on our neurological connections, but I believe that the essence of a man comes from society itself, not from individuals.

2. Well guess I would say my Brother. He's kind of a conspiracy theorist guy, and believes that aliens created civilization. But he actually is very smart, just sometimes takes humor farther then it should. But I like that, I learned from him where my line between joking and serious is. He also supported my academic interest, even if they were the opposite from his own views.

3. If the joke is not intended towards anyone specific, then I'm all for rib poking laughter. But If someone is being 100% intentionally discriminatory, I take that to high offence as a human being. And I think there fake stereotypes that don't actually exist. Me and my ex girlfriend Nicole were highly productive in our relationship. We both cleaned and worked hard to be together, and did so for 2 years. Nothing was "Honey, can you do this, your strong" or anything like that. If one of us did have a weakness though, we would utilize eachother. I need help tuning the violin, she needs help making a clan tag on COD. etc...

4. I have learned that Morality, in it's basic essence, relies on other people. No matter how you slice it. I just wish that there was a tiny bit more pop cult satire in the show for comic relief, and more complex moral lessons.

5. I am an out of the Closet Brony. Never was in. I figured that I can have an interest in whatever I want to because I am a free thinker. I feel the same way for everything,art,music,the drug war,every thing. Even though I am out of the closet, I still distaste the hate I get. But whatever, Brony's should not get all upset about haters. Its nothing compared to racism, Homophobia, and xenophobia. 

And My all time favorite pony is Fluttershy. She represent nearly everything about me except she's female....and a pony lol.

This is an interesting topic, I'm glad you posted it. Cerebral Brony's are awesome, Hope your senior thesis is a good one!

What if My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is bringing out the inner dad in bronies? The instinct of fatherhood in a world where fatherhood is considered a repression of freedom? Where fatherhood is not so desired anymore?

I have never really thought of it that way but now that I do think about it, MLP has appealed to some aspects of my own personality that are consistent with being a good father such as being nurturing and caring simply put it often brings out the inner sentimental softie in me and it feels very liberating. While I never bought into the macho stereotypes of a what a man should be MLP has made me rethink and reexamine a lot of things about masculinity and gender roles in society. I wanted to be a father someday before I got into MLP and it hasn't made this desire any stronger but it has reminded me of what is important in life and that things don't always have to be doom and gloom.

• Brohoof 1

1. What does it mean to you to be 'a man?' What do you believe it means to society to be 'a man?' 2. Who was/is your primary male role model? What is he like? How is he involved in your life? (as in, do you talk frequently/about personal things; where/how often do you interact; what do you do together? etc) 3. How do you typically respond to sexist comments/jokes/behavior? What do you think of the idea of traditional gender roles (i.e., men are this, do this, like these things; women are that, do that, like those things)? 4. Have you learned anything from MLP? If so, what? 5. Are you an out brony or a closet brony? - What made you decide to be out - or not? - If out: What happened, if anything, when you came out as a brony? - If closet: What do you think would happen if you were to come out as a brony? Why do you think that? - What experiences have you had as an out or closet brony? And the classic ending... 6. Who is your favorite pony and why?

1: a man to me is just an adult male, it does not matter what they do or like.

2: My main role model is my father. He is generally nice and understanding. My father is generally involved in my life and we talk nearly every day. I usually see him at home, however we dont do many "special" things together.

3: I generally ignore sexist acts aimed at me. I find the whole concept of sexism completely idiotic, a man should be able to do he wants and a woman should be able to do what she wants. People who are so stuck in their ways that they cannot see anything but fault in being different do not deserve any of my time.

4: I haven't learned that much from MLP per say. However the show has helped me emotionally, i struggle with depression and anxiety from time to time and this show helps me pull through some of the rougher patches. It makes me smile and laugh even when i feel like the world is ending and all hope is lost. Alot of times it feels like a bright patch of sunlight in a stormy sky, reminding me that there are always good things on the horizon.

5: I am somewhere in the middle, some of my friends know and my sister knows but my parents dont. What got me out was a friend making fun of bronies. It got to a point where i couldn't take it and i started defending the show. Surprisingly, it made her stop and i never heard her insult the fandom or show again.

6: My favorite has to be Rainbow Dash. While she can be a bit of a jerk i like her characterization.