Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony Else An Only Child?

~Master~ Button Mash

So, is anyone else here an only child? If so, how was it like growing up for you? Do you ever feel sad that you didn't have any siblings growing up?

I was supposed to have a brother two years older than me, but he...didn't make it out of the womb. Two years later my parents had me. 

Growing up an only child didn't really bother me. I was pretty happy, I had all the love I could ever need from my parents. Sometimes, though, when I listen to "BBBFF" it makes me a little sad, that I missed out on having a little brother or sister, or being a little brother.

So...anyone else an only child?

• Brohoof 6

I'm an only child (if you don't count my half sister that I never get to see anyways) and I can honestly say it was pretty great. I was a very stubborn kid, and I don't think having a sibling would have made my life easier, or better. Quite the contrary actually.

I won't deny that I've been curious about what it would be like to have a brother/sister, but I'm happy I didn't have to grow up with one. Chances are it would have frustrated me more than anything, I hate kids anyways.

Maybe and older sibling would have been cool, but I hate when people belittle me too.

Eck..

Edited by Tex

I have a younger brother though we have almost as little in common with each other as Rarity and Sweetie Belle we do watch each others backs. We had a lot more in common when we were kids though, but he was more of a jock the kind of kid who Mom had to chase down the block to get to come home for dinner while though I played outside too whenever there was food I was never that far behind.

I to am an only child!

I loved it, because my parents always had time for me, and if I had brothers or sister, I would have alot less toys and such as a kid. I know that sounds selfish, but I loved being an only child.

/)

I've been an only child my whole life, adopted to boot. I love being an only child. My younger cousins, all three of them, came to live with me for about a year after my uncle was killed (their mother was responsible for that). After being tied to my bed with a yo-yo and them making a massive Tootsie Roll that oozed out the door of the microwave, that was enough for me,

Hello!

I'm an only child. For years, I thought this was a good thing, for years, I thought that without having a brother or sister, all the atention would be towards me! I imagined myself to be the top of a monarchy! happy.png

Only now, I understand how dull my childhood was, and how much I would have liked to have a sibling. Oh well... sleep.png

I'm an only child. My parents said they wanted to have more children, but marital problems kinda got in the way.

Anyway, I might be a more social person, and not be so much of an introvert if I had a brother, even if it was a younger brother; even if I had a sister. But I'm content with how I am.

• Brohoof 1

My birth was a bit complicated. Took a Caesarean section to get me out. Due to the difficulties surrounding it and the toll it took on my mother, it was recommended that she not have another child, making me the first and last.

Growing up without brothers or sisters had its pros and cons, obviously. Everyone I went to school with who had siblings thought I was so lucky to be an only child, and I thought them fortunate to have siblings and terrible for wanting them gone. Although not having any meant a bit more freedom and stuff for me, I would have gladly given that up to rid myself also of the loneliness. Probably would have helped my social abilities too.

• Brohoof 1

I'm an only child too! I don't mind it at all, although I've sort of wished I had a twin sister for quite a while. I'm not sure why. But I like being an only child as well.

I have many siblings, but they're only related by a half. (Too many and complicated to explain)

I can kinda relate, though. When my parents were together, I was the only result. My half-siblings are either much older or much younger, so it's really hard to relate or have anything in common with anyone. I'm usually by myself nowadays.

I just realized i'm the middle child. huh.png

Edited by Unique (Aesu)

I am a only child. When I was born my birth dad left so my mom was left to raise me while finishing up nursing school and getting her CRNA. I wasn't ery social, and I always felt lonely outside of school. It sucks, but at the same time its nice because ou have time to yourself alot and you are usual in charge of alot of things at an early age.

legally, I am an only child, but i have a biological sister and 3 half siblings that are about 40 years older than me (who I have never met).  I had a very strange childhood.

foster care....need I say more?

Edited by Treble Bolt

I am an only child. I was supposed to have a younger sister but she didn't last long due to some complicated medical problems. I would literally give anything to relive a life where she lived and we grew up together. I would give up my dreams to live that life.

My parents weren't the greatest but my life didn't suck too bad. I realized that life is what you make of it and I have done a pretty good job making mine pretty decent.

Overall, being an only child helped make me who I am today, and I'm ok with that! :)

I wish.

Nah, just Kidding. I love my little sister even if she can get on my last nerve. I can't imagine life without her and she is very special to me. My life would be really dull without her.

I'm an only child. My mom had a miscarriage before she had me, but it was pretty early on. I still feel sad about that though. I have to wonder what would have been... 

But I didn't mind growing up as an only child. I'm pretty introverted anyway, and my family is pretty chill with its current dynamic. I don't really understand sibling relationships, but that's okay. I had a decent childhood and I wasn't too lonely (maybe a little bit sometimes). 

Yes,  I'm definitely an only child. I'm not proud of being an only child but, sometimes there are some perks that go with it. The loneliness I get from having no sibling, is the opposite of my perks. I know I have a brother on my dad's side technically, he isn't on my mom's side of the family. So, in conclusion I'm an only child.

I have an older sister, but she's eight years older than me, so she left the house around when I was like ten, and in many ways I feel like an only child.  It honestly fits my personality in many ways.  I can be quite the lone wolf.

• Brohoof 1

Well, not technically, since I have both an older brother and sister. But, they're both significantly older than me (I'm talking "I was an uncle 3 years before I was born, my brother is old enough to be my dad" age difference), so my experience growing up was very similar to that of being an only child.

I've never had any siblings to grow up with, so I can't really compare. But, if it's anything like what my friends've got with their siblings, I'm infinitely glad I'm the "only" one. laugh.png Made me the sole focus, which did wonders for my development and growth as a person.

I am an only child too... kind of.

I actually have a half brother that is 9 years older than me, but we hardly ever get to see him. It´s pretty nice. But I think it´s probably just as good as having a brother/sister to live with (if you like each other that is) , just different.   

Yes I am an only child. Personally I don't like it. I really wanted a sibling but it was too much of a hassle. I was very lonely, and I still am. The song B.B.B.F makes me sad, but I like it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Yes. My mother could not produce another child. At one point I hated it so much and would kill for someone else to be around. Last night I even lied to someone and said I had an older brother. It's not that bad, it's just that I worry about if it will affect anyone's opinion of me.

Edited by Dismajo

Right there with you! I'm an only child too and have loved every moment! I consider my three cousins to be like my brothers since we're really close but every time I see them fight over their DS or toys, I'm glad I don't have a sibling. I like having my things to myself and nobody ruining them. Little siblings have kind of a reputation of ruining your hard work if you just leave it out there. Kind of like Sisterhooves Social with Rarity and Sweetie Belle.

(edited)

This is a bit difficult for me. I have two younger siblings, but I feel like an only child. We never lived together you see. I live with my grandparents while they live with my mom. My mom didn't want me and was going to give me away for adoption, but my grandparents took me in and raised me. I very rarely ever saw my brothers and grew up mainly alone. Nowadays, my own brothers want nothing to do with me anymore. So yeah. Depressing life and whatnot.

Edited by SmartyPants

*raises hoof*

Yep, I'm an only child. I've lived with all adults and no kids my entire life. In the recent years I gained two step-cousins about my age, but otherwise, I'm the only kid in my family. (Doesn't help that my older cousin is 18 now :lol:)