Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inner battle?

firesoxs

Dose anypony feel like the man inside of them is fighting back? I freakin love the show, I love the characters, I have a huge file on my desk to full of pony pics, and I'm saving up to go to the Appleoosacon but sometimes I just find my self thinking "What am I doing?" I have a job as the janitor of a small private school and have to sweep and mop a big echoy gymnasium, once while I was mopping I started whistling winter wrapup but when I started to sing it my mind drew a blank and I yelled "Why don't I know the words to this song!" and somewhere in the back of my mind I herd a little voice say "Why should you?" I just feel like the manly part of me is fighting back to kill my bronyism. I've only been a brony for about five months so I figure that it's just something that's going to pass in time, but does anypony else feel the same way?

post-12366-0-41536600-1366508617.jpgpost-12366-0-62912000-1366508645_thumb.png

• Brohoof 6

Not particularly. I can see myself enjoying the show and the community for years to come. My interest waxes and wanes a bit, but that's natural with any hobby or pastime. 

• Brohoof 2

Dose anypony feel like the man inside of them is fighting back? I freakin love the show, I love the characters, I have a huge file on my desk to full of pony pics, and I'm saving up to go to the Appleoosacon but sometimes I just find my self thinking "What am I doing?" I have a job as the janitor of a small private school and have to sweep and mop a big echoy gymnasium, once while I was mopping I started whistling winter wrapup but when I started to sing it my mind drew a blank and I yelled "Why don't I know the words to this song!" and somewhere in the back of my mind I herd a little voice say "Why should you?" I just feel like the manly part of me is fighting back to kill my bronyism. I've only been a brony for about five months so I figure that it's just something that's going to pass in time, but does anypony else feel the same way?

attachicon.giftumblr_lvhr83myen1r5swfxo1_500.jpgattachicon.gif156439_354612534653912_1377096808_n.png

Well, i've been a brony for... a week, and every single moment that goes by while watching this show (still not done) pretty much involves me either laughing to myself, or questioning what the hell i'm doing, and why i'm doing it. 

But at the end of the day, the only reason, you and i and no doubt many others are feeling this is because we've been programmed to think that some things are for men, some for women, and some for children, by breaking this fake rule, you are less of something, that you are not complete, and thats really disappointing. 

So no, i will not stop watching a show that i really like, if not love, just because I think its wrong to, its a tv show... its not something that can hurt people physically, so the people who do bug you are the same people who have nothing better to do, the same people who either long for something, or seek to mentally torment someone because they are shallow.

I just wish i can convince myself of what i just wrote above... because no matter how much i'd like to believe my bestest of friends will be tolerant of me... i just dunno...

Edited by Bigmethod
  • Brohoof 3

When I first started being a brony, I kinda felt the same way. I started watching the show and took about a two month break thinking "Why did I like it?". After realising that being a brony isn't "unmanly" and it is ok to be in touch with your "feminine" side. Ever since then, I embraced my brony-ness with open arms.

Lately, I've been experiencing the same thing. I love ponies as much as the next brony but, the inner voice a.k.a. the opposite of me. Keeps telling me to ditch ponies and go back to the way I was before. Luckily, I didn't listen. But it will keep haunting me until I change. I will refuse to change!

tumblr_m99rktKfZ71rnvwt1.gif

• Brohoof 1

No. At least, not about smaller things in my life like TV shows or general likes. When I was younger I used to have that issue when my preferences where very stranger- far more an oddity and social taboo than MLP that is for sure- but as I've grown up I've become more and more comfortable in my skin, expressing and dressing myself in my own unique way even if it makes other laugh at me; and others have laughed at me, sometimes virtually next to me while wandering back to their friends as they try to take their eyes off my magnetic attire while giggling.  I enjoy what I enjoy, if it's creepy or gives off an image of madness then so be it. If I enjoy something that makes me look uneducated and simple then I guess I'm fine with letting people think that if they decide to base their perception on me with that single fact alone.

I don't have a threat to my manhood. Masculinity may have traits that can attributed such as stoic in the face of hysteria and intellectual honesty(and even then what I personally apply to manhood can outright be placed as the characteristic any upstanding and moral adult should have) but by far what is considered to be manhood is relabeled constantly by various groups and ideologies of various ages and supposed goals. I don't need to worry about my manhood, to worry about it to imply that there is an insecurity I must face about my image and my born gender; I have none. I am a man, I choose to take the paths I dictate that is best for this man either they come off as moral or in morale, ambitious or lazy.  The puppeteers of society fail to control me and define my manhood to me, if they can't put my masculinity at stake than a cartoon is far off the list for legitimate threats to my identity. 

Edited by MiStErUnMeRry

Nah. Besides, who's to say what's manly? Why can't manly men enjoy a nice cartoon primarily marketed toward girls? Doesn't bother me. I don't exactly want all my friends to know I'm a brony but if they found out I wouldn't care. I'd just be like "yeah, so? It's a good show, you should watch it, it's cute, and funny".

Nah. Besides, who's to say what's manly? Why can't manly men enjoy a nice cartoon primarily marketed toward girls? Doesn't bother me. I don't exactly want all my friends to know I'm a brony but if they found out I wouldn't care. I'd just be like "yeah, so? It's a good show, you should watch it, it's cute, and funny".

Well yeah I don't really care either, I actually wear t-shirts and stuff and all my friends know about MLP. It's just when I least expect it the manly man in me creeps up on me and says "What the hell are you doing bro?"

Well yeah I don't really care either, I actually wear t-shirts and stuff and all my friends know about MLP. It's just when I least expect it the manly man in me creeps up on me and says "What the hell are you doing bro?"

You know what you do then? You say "I am proudly being a brony!" and you give the manly man inside you a brohoof to the face. (Metaphorically speaking. Don't actually do it, it hurts.) Then reconcile with him by giving him a hug.

It did for about the first month or so I was into the show but it gradually faded until it completely went away, yes this show did make me realize that my feminine side is a lot stronger than I thought but since I never bought into the false macho bravado BS about what a man is supposedly supposed to be at least not completely it made my manly side accept it a bit more quickly than it may have otherwise. It feels very liberating to let go and just embrace it, I am still for the most part the same person just a little more complete.

You are violating your conditioned gender stereotypes. Becoming a Brony was the first time I pushed the traditional gender role boundary, myself. At the beginning, I questioned myself constantly. Over time, that nagging doubt has faded. There's nothing negative in being a Brony.

Can't say I've had this problem. Rarely am I ever conflicted like that. When I become interested in something, you could say it's from the depths of my being. If I ever walk away from something, it's simply because I've lost interest for one reason or another, not because I started feeling weird or out of place for liking it. This show and fandom have touched me in very personal ways, so I don't see myself ever growing distant from either of them.

The "manliness" factor is never a consideration in my involvement with or leaving of something. Commonly accepted perceptions of what's manly or the so called "man code" are worthless to me. I am my own man, so I'll live by my own code.

Nope. Haven't felt that way since I first watched the show, still don't, and probably never will.

Gender rules don't mean anything to me or any voices in my head. I like what I like despite what society says I should and shouldn't like, even if what I like is a TV show intended for little girls about cute, colourful, miniature horses that can talk.

Nah- I've been a non-conformist my entire adult life. I do what I want, and as long as I'm not hurting anyone by doing it, why should I care what others think?

We live too much in the opinions of others I think-who made them the arbiters of what is or isn't acceptable for a man to like?

A wee bit. When I first started watching the show, I honestly kept having to pause in the middle of each episode so that I could pick up my guitar, play something heavy, and basically "recharge my man-batteries" before finishing the episode. It was the same way when I first started watching Princess Tutu.

I don't find myself having to do it much anymore, though, now that I've gotten over the initial shock of realizing I'm a brony. My manliness is innate, and no amount of "girly" shows is going to change who I am.