mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

An old Clint Eastwood western called The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. I'm actually not finished with it yet, it's just so long that I can't watch it all at once! But I am enjoying it so far... I like these old westerns that most of my generation doesn't really care about.  :ooh:  Blame my dad who loves them and made me grow up watching a lot of them, lol.  :lol:

Long Way North (2015)

A French/Danish animated film about Arctic Exploration in 19th Century Russia. Sounds as fun as it's described right?

Saw the trailer for this film last week upon having seen it advertised in my local independent cinema's listings. thought I'd once again found an animated gem, and considering the last two french animated films I'd seen (in Persepolis and Ernest & Celestine) both did quite well, it was worth a punt.

To cut the long story short, it was a decent film, but it was ruined by the English dub and what it had done to effect the film outright. I'd gone in expecting this to be done in French with English subtitles (as my cinema advertised), however upon hearing English come in stilted, wooden delivery from the characters disjointed mouths, disappointment rang through me. It caused the characters actions and vocalisations to sometimes not match the action laid before them and left the film feeling empty rather than the intense experience I was expecting from the trailer. The film also had problems controlling its tone and pace to where it didn't feel like it could match up to its lofty adventure premise in the time allowed to it, something that only became apparent once I left the cinema.

However, visually, it was quite lovely, utilising simple colours and a chalk/paint aesthetic to give it the impression it was more a painting or art piece than film, which gave it a quaint yet intricate charm that resonated through the cold and desolate landscapes, giving it vibrancy and an understatedness that makes some of the more detailed scenes take you aback at their complexity. The music was a combination of beautiful orchestral score and melodic indie-pop music to set the tones well, and while the story was a bit cut and dry, and simple to follow, its characters were interesting and intriguing despite being one dimensional at times. The main heroine Sasha, grew very well over the course of its 82 minute run-time.

It was an enjoyable experience, but one I want to revisit in French to get my full opinion on its quality. I'd still recommend you track it down if you can find it on show at a cinema near you, just be weary and read the listings clearly to go to the version you want to see.

6.75/10 

Edited by Vocal Analyst

Stitch! The Movie. It was refreshing to watch it after so many years. Last time I saw it on a VHS tape.  :wau: