Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Next Xbox’s Live Subscription Fee May Be $15

Circadian

(edited)

First there's the always on DRM, now this. Microsoft is really shooting itself in the foot right out of the gate if this is true.

Which, according to its previous track history, it probably is. We'll find out May 21st.

I really miss Halo and Gears, but it looks like I won't be seeing them anytime soon. :/

scootaloo_pianoheadsmashlarge_display.gi

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

I really miss Halo and Gears, but it looks like I won't be seeing them anytime soon. :/

You got that right if this crap comes to pass. Although I might buy the $500 model without the monthly payment fee, but that would require me to sell my 360 and games, which is something I'm not going to do. (unless it is backwards compatible with 360 games, then I would just sell the 360). Why Microsoft? Why?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

ahw shit.

Well I'm not buying the new Xbox anyways. I feel that I don't care much for it since well.. I like playing Lego LotR and BO2 on my 360.

$15 what? 15 a month? I don't get it.

. I pay about $95 dollars and then I get to play for half a year.

Expensive shit..

tongue.png

Edited by Jokuc

First there's the always on DRM, now this. Microsoft is really shooting itself in the foot right out of the gate if this is true.

Which, according to its previous track history, it probably is. We'll find out May 21st.

img-1432652-1-scootaloo_pianoheadsmashla

What do you mean? Nobody is stopping you from playing classical Xbox games on the older consoles if that is what you end up choosing to do.

I know money nowadays is very scarce but, this is just adding more money to Microsoft's huge pocket. Does it really matter that the next Xbox's live subscription will be $15? If it was more money, I would be worried.

If it will be $15, I don't mind.

nyybb.gif

(edited)
What do you mean? Nobody is stopping you from playing classical Xbox games on the older consoles if that is what you end up choosing to do.

I'm talking about playing Halo 5 and whatever the next Gears is called. My brother, Conbon, has a 360 on which I play the exclusives when then come out when I visit over breaks and stuff. He, in turn gets to play the PS3 exlusives on my console when they come out. It's a nice symbiosis we've got going on.

However, he may not want to get the new xbox because the features and fees associated with it are looking pretty dumb, and I don't blame him. I was actually looking into getting an xbox instead of a PS4, but not anymore.

Does it really matter that the next Xbox's live subscription will be $15?

Yes. That's double what you are paying now, and this would be a locked in contract with early termination fees.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah this is my last year of XBL, not just because of the price jump, but I got a gaming PC that is hundreds of times better. Besides, I only play games like SSX and Portal, there is no reason to pay for a monthly subscription. Nor do I plan on getting the new consoles either. 

(edited)

This is a little vague isn't it? Do you mean 15$ a month or a year? I would not be surprised if it were every month. We are just cogs in a money making machine for the corporations. Gaming is no exception. Activision has already figured this out and it is only a matter of time before others do as well.

I want to be excited for next gen, but there are so many different things that worry. I will not be getting any of them at launch anyways, since there will be inevitable hardware problems.

Edited by Kyoshi

Reminds me of why I don't have a console. One of my brothers has one but I think I play on it like once every other week...maybe. The whole thing is just a huge money grab. You have the console...and it's subscription....and then the games...with their own subscriptions...and then they release add-ons and other crap too. The whole console wars thing is just like selling shiny objects to magpies. You have the market until someone comes along with something shinier and then very few people care about you anymore. I'm glad I don't have one, because if I did then I'd probably be broke by now. As for me, I'm a PC gamer, and don't buy parasitical games that treat me like their newest host. :/

By the way, the article says $15 a month for those wondering.

Wow, 15 a month? Dang sounds a little steep, I may have to cancel my subscription and not buy anymore if that happens, I'm not a money machine here.

I really don't use my membership for a whole lot, but I do use it some, still of the price gets to high I'm not gonna buy it anymore.

Hopefully this won't come true. :/

(edited)

This is one of the reasons why I'm moving over to PlayStation in the next month. The 360 was fine. Now we get a console that can't play 360 games and with an even higher subscription fee? Sorry Microsoft, this is unacceptable. Once my Live runs out in December, I'm going full-on PS3. Yes, PS3. The PS4 won't be able to play PS3 games as well, and I just bought $120 worth of games to play for the latter. I will NOT be buying another console after this gen. The gaming market's making all the wrong moves, and I'm content with what I have right now.

Even if it means missing out on Halo 5/6. Disgaea 4 (and eventually Persona 5/KH3), here I come.

Edited by Seraphim

Wow, 15 a month? Dang sounds a little steep, I may have to cancel my subscription and not buy anymore if that happens, I'm not a money machine here.

If what I read is correct, it's only the cheaper model that has that high of a fee. Basically, if they can't get you to pay for a more expensive console up front, they want to trick you into paying much more over a longer period of time.

Now we get a console that can't play 360 games and with an even higher subscription fee?

PS4 isn't backwards compatible either, but at least Sony was upfront about it at the reveal. 

This is a little vague isn't it? Do you mean 15$ a month or a year? I would not be surprised if it were every month. We are just cogs in a money making machine for the corporations. Gaming is no exception. Activision has already figured this out and it is only a matter of time before others do as well.

For the cheaper version of the console it's $15 a month.

If what I read is correct, it's only the cheaper model that has that high of a fee. Basically, if they can't get you to pay for a more expensive console up front, they want to trick you into paying much more over a longer period of time.

PS4 isn't backwards compatible either, but at least Sony was upfront about it at the reveal. 

For the cheaper version of the console it's $15 a month.

Wow, thats a bit of a annoying marketing technique. Well i'll remember to buy the more expensive version if I do buy the new Xbox.

I'll wait until the official announcement but if that is the case I'll just upgrade my pc to play games (thus getting the cheaper games, seriously why are console games more expensive?) and keep my my Xbox and play preowned games on the cheap.