Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

A bit. It shows a glimpse of the personality behind the avatar, of course. But i don't usually hold it for or against them too much - avatar pictures can be changed with the simple click of a button.

Yes, because it's not Twilight Sparkle, they clearly do not have good taste.

I'm kidding. I don't actually judge people by their avatars. There's more to a person than online appearances.

Yep, I do. It catches a glimpse of someone's personality. And I tend to recognize people by their avatars.

It's a quick and reliable way to know someone. And I know that everyone do the same. People with anime avatars tends to stick together, since they share the same interests. Sadly I'm the only one with a car avatar...

Nope. Post quality speaks louder than avatars, signatures, or even names. Post quality is everything, I see that intelligent/funny post and I brohoof you for it, I see how you put no effort into that post and so I will be judging you for it. No broof for you, try harder next time!

As long as their avatar does not show any hate speech, I won't judge them based on their avatar. I would assume they like Rarity if Rarity is their avatar, for example. However, I've seen people who claimed to hate Rarity while having her as their avatar. I may make assumptions (bad habit of mine.) but I would never judge them unless they have hateful stuff on their avatar. 

Why should you judge people from it? no I'm cool with it...

don't worry hopefully all of us bronies will not judge HEAR THAT BRONIES?, NO JUDGING  :angry: 

hehe  :blush: anyway it's totally fine.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

no I pretty sure no pony judges by there avatar but it does give a first impression of what they like I like to disguise as a random person on the forums and I change my avatar every now and then to look like somepony else avatar

An avatar is just something pleasing to look at. Or to some, maybe not so much. I tend to not like the gory ones as much - not because it's the horror type - it just throws me off a bit. The user's profile and what they post is far more important. Thus my answer to this topic is...no. 

I used to back in my days of being a mod. Kids, don't judge a book by its cover.

I don't judge people by their avatars, but I can't help but envision them as their avatar. Like, if somebody keeps their avatar as Celestia or Luna long enough (*cough*SCS*cough*) I'll start to see them as that character.

As for judging their character or anything, no. I wait until I actually know them.

Hit it right on the head.
  • Brohoof 2

Well...yeah, I kind of do. I usually don't assume anything bad about them, unless the have a mary-suish looking OC. I don't treat anyone differently, though. Another type of people who I may judge are people who talk like this:

OMG! I h8 it wn that rlly annoying song comes on! Make it stop! Please, ppl!

But that's a whole new can of worms...

Yes, I do.

An avatar is something you pick to represent yourself, so I don't see why this is a problem. If someone has a suggestive, annoying, or offensive avatar, I'm naturally going to make judgements on said person based around that. That's how you want me to see you, is it not? If you don't want me to judge you negatively, then change your avatar to something that won't be viewed negatively. It's that simple, really. I get sick of people saying not to judge other people for things--it's going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it.

Everyone is judged by everyone for everything, whether they admit it or not. Welcome to life.

You could use the classic "don't judge a book by it's cover" argument, but that's kinda flawed. A cover is indented to convey the contents of a book accurately and concisely. If someone goes through the effort to write a book, they aught to pick a good title and write a decent summary on the back... or else the book probably isn't any good. Sorry, I won't be interested in something that looks like crap. This same concept applies to avatars. It's how people identify you; it's how you present yourself to the world. Choose wisely.

My avvie is of Scoots and Dash because I don't want anyone to think I'm a cold-hearted person, even though I often seem to be (like Dash). I chose it thinking it would make me seem friendly, caring, and inoffensive, as I try to be. That scene also happens to be one of my favorite moments in the entire series, so that's all the more reason.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1