Furry discussion thread

Discordian

How do you feel about furries?  

260 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about furries?

• They're pretty cool
    • So weird.
    • Fluttershy is a furry!

A few of my friends want me to become a furry and I'm kinda surprised I've never been committed to the idea before. Truth be told... I'm not exactly sure about the exact definition of furry as everyone seems to have a different definition. I've always assumed it was a desire to be an anthropomorphic animal and have animal like traits which I would of totally loved as a kid. I 100% wanted to be a werewolf as a kid! The whole idea has always interested me though I've never gone along with it. I'd say I'm far more of a furry now after seeing BNA as I'd 100% be a beastman! I'd pay.

FreeEquatorialInexpectatumpleco-size_res

I think the only thing I'm kinda iffy about with furries is the whole fursuit thing. I have nothing against them and I can see why people like them but they just look... weird to me. Though people in costumes has always made me anxious for some reason. I think it's one of the reasons why I doubt I'd go to a furry convention (which my friends really want me to do with them). Though I am 21 so I can likely deal with it xD

I've slowly started to expose myself to more of the furry fandom over Twitter and stuff, and I can slowly feel that desire to wanna turn into a werewolf come back :coco:

• Brohoof 3

Since I have more of an idea of what my fursona is, I kinda want to try sculpting his head out with clay just so I can properly draw his damned antlers.  My fursona is a Predatory Elk, I just call him that because he has sharp teeth.  I got the idea from one of the furry artists on tumblr that I follow who draws predatory deer and I was scrolling through their art and was like, What if it was E L K? ooooo...  I love elks so it works out lol.

I'm not sure what's the extent of the concept of furry. If it's just liking anthropomorphic characters then... I don't know why isn't the entire world consider furry then. I like aggretsuko's character designs and I want to do one for myself but is that furry?

There's certain styles of anthropomorphic characters that I don't like though. Is those disneyesque types. Like the usual furry art stereotype. I don't like them. But other than that if they have interesting designs or new things to add to the concept then yeah. 

22 hours ago, Splashee® said:

Well, sortof. I was thinking about the BronyCon documentary by Jenny Nicolson, and how she said the only thing left in the Brony fandom ... Well, it was kinda rude.

I know Furries have existed, at least since SatAM, which almost kinda made me a Furry... Heh. Nah, but the first Princess Sally though, it is the eyes... :mellow:

On the latinamerican part of the fandom... well, brony is not brony. They are pretty much a bunch of horny furries making memes and shitpost with dated pony screenshots and sometimes with pony life stuff.

They even joke about how the latinamerican "brony" is just furries (2013 was the year FiM was aired on all of latin america through discovery kids).FB_IMG_1595905406423.jpg.e4ebc52428aa7942edf02f04849f6d32.jpg

I took that meme from one of the biggest latinamerican fb brony groups.

Not hard to guess why I rather hang with the international community than with spanish speaking fans xD

• Brohoof 3

I have still not seen Zootopia, and I have Disney+ now. You know I am still not a Furry by that statement.

When I started watching Bronies React, I noticed that the host got less and less interested in ponies, and more and more into Zootopia. That was probably a sign of turning Furry? Talking about YouTuber ACRaceBest here.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:25 AM, Codelyy said:

A few of my friends want me to become a furry and I'm kinda surprised I've never been committed to the idea before. Truth be told... I'm not exactly sure about the exact definition of furry as everyone seems to have a different definition. I've always assumed it was a desire to be an anthropomorphic animal and have animal like traits which I would of totally loved as a kid. I 100% wanted to be a werewolf as a kid! The whole idea has always interested me though I've never gone along with it. I'd say I'm far more of a furry now after seeing BNA as I'd 100% be a beastman! I'd pay.

FreeEquatorialInexpectatumpleco-size_res

I think the only thing I'm kinda iffy about with furries is the whole fursuit thing. I have nothing against them and I can see why people like them but they just look... weird to me. Though people in costumes has always made me anxious for some reason. I think it's one of the reasons why I doubt I'd go to a furry convention (which my friends really want me to do with them). Though I am 21 so I can likely deal with it xD

I've slowly started to expose myself to more of the furry fandom over Twitter and stuff, and I can slowly feel that desire to wanna turn into a werewolf come back :coco:

You don't need to be a furry to enjoy anthro animals :) Most of these media are not by ppl who identify as furs as such although there are some good furry comics hehe

Furry just appreciate anthromorphic animals, but a lot of it I think is about the community and culture. 

Most furries have a fursona, though occasionally some may not or they just have a lot of ocs or a character they like etc.

I get what you mean about fursuits they r kinda goofy and strange kinda stiff sometimes. They are a bit strange and for me irl part of the fandom is a little bit too dominated by them even though I also think they are cool sometimes. A lot of the time I rather just appreciate the art. I am not a fan of like identifying with what I am wearing or whatever although saying that I still think about such a suit lol after being involved with the fandom since it could be fun to act in or dance in whatever. Though I don't like being stuck with one character and these suits get quite pricey even if u make them urself it will at least cost the materials and the time. Much more than any cheap cosplay lol There are the more realistic suits too ofc

I think a convention could be fun though, I never been to any myself but they do sound like enjoyable. 

In a sense werewolves are a strange one as a small set of furries who do use them as sonas and some of the media. Technically they are humans with animal traits in a way x3 rather than animals with human traits. 

I think there are a lot more therians (a select who may be furries) who are into werewolves. Therians are the sort who believe they are animals or such as I think. Werewolves also cross into the fantasy realm and things like vampires come to mind. At the end of the day though it's about enjoying what you like rather than having to put yourself in another box or whatever lol

• Brohoof 1

On 9/22/2020 at 3:49 AM, Ittoni said:

I'm not sure what's the extent of the concept of furry. If it's just liking anthropomorphic characters then... I don't know why isn't the entire world consider furry then. I like aggretsuko's character designs and I want to do one for myself but is that furry?

There's certain styles of anthropomorphic characters that I don't like though. Is those disneyesque types. Like the usual furry art stereotype. I don't like them. But other than that if they have interesting designs or new things to add to the concept then yeah. 

I started to warm up to the disney style at least the ones that are very disney. I think the most common style is that semi realistic but still quite toony style which does have some disney ish ness but is a bit more different.

I'm kinda tired of seeing the same sort of furry art myself and also furry guy with a six pack or whatever haha.

I guess aggretsuko is more the kawaii thing. It's an evolved version of hello kitty in a way with more san-x vibes than traditional sanrio. Japan has a whole lot of animal type cute mascots. It's kinda a way to communicate and show feelings I think. Like how aggretsuko embodies how a lot of Women in Japan may feel and is therefore relatable but also very cute.

I mean my mum likes anthro animals a lot and she is defo not a furry at least by definition lol But she likes things like peter rabbit and atagoru (anthro cats in it). If anything she would be more furry in someways she likes those kinda furry characters who wear clothes and talk act quite a lot like people hah

I prefer "feral" furries a lot of the time but I do like anthro for certain stuff like comics. And I like cartoonish stuff rather than too real

-----

Also to me it seems like furry is creeping into brony.

I was looking at the older brony survey things and it seems like more ppl started to identify as furries maybe as more furs entered or more bronies became furries idk lol it's old survey so idk about nowdays.

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, flurry said:

I started to warm up to the disney style at least the ones that are very disney. I think the most common style is that semi realistic but still quite toony style which does have some disney ish ness but is a bit more different.

I'm kinda tired of seeing the same sort of furry art myself and also furry guy with a six pack or whatever haha.

I prefer "feral" furries a lot of the time but I do like anthro for certain stuff like comics. And I like cartoonish stuff rather than too real

-----

Also to me it seems like furry is creeping into brony.

Yep. I think I started backwards myself, first liking the furry style and taking it all and then I realized the pattern and became bored and desperate for something different and not sexualized. They all look like they were made by the same person and the thing that angers me the most is the eyes. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_MmXkWKvdApw9Lhqp7Jt7G4otqYunAlc4CA&usqp=CAUlynx_ears_end.jpg?1576261829

Look at the eyes!

Those eyelids are always half opened and it makes them look kinda gay. nothing against gay of course and it would be logical given that a great number of furries are lgbt in some way but there's only a certain amount of it I can take for myself as a theme, and since I started discovering and getting into furry stuff in second life the avatars always had those eyes and it made my character look not like I would have liked for myself and you can't change it, all droopy eyed, six packed or super voluptuous or super gay or all of them, with very human like hair, big paws, and some with a very animal like head and the rest was just a very idealized human body, it clashed like a Furby head in a super model body. 

Why!

Compare to this one 

IMG_20200923_075753.thumb.jpg.ca7113dbad69a5918f2cbf53ae80d2fd.jpg

That is different! Stylized. 

Furry is a genere! Not an art style!

:yeahno: sigh.. 

About the brony furry thing, I think many were furries beforehand or discovered furry on the way of the 10 years the show's been developing and yeah now I have to also endure the "standing pony" or furry pony trend complete with sexualization.

(Need tree hugger icon) hhhh... But it's ok I guess... Is just my asexual agender self the one who can't make peace with it. I want new and coherent styles!

Edited by Ittoni

15 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Yep. I think I started backwards myself, first liking the furry style and taking it all and then I realized the pattern and became bored and desperate for something different and not sexualized. They all look like they were made by the same person and the thing that angers me the most is the eyes. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_MmXkWKvdApw9Lhqp7Jt7G4otqYunAlc4CA&usqp=CAUlynx_ears_end.jpg?1576261829

Look at the eyes!

Those eyelids are always half opened and it makes them look kinda gay. nothing against gay of course and it would be logical given that a great number of furries are lgbt in some way but there's only a certain amount of it I can take for myself as a theme, and since I started discovering and getting into furry stuff in second life the avatars always had those eyes and it made my character look not like I would have liked for myself and you can't change it, all droopy eyed, six packed or super voluptuous or super gay or all of them, with very human like hair, big paws, and some with a very animal like head and the rest was just a very idealized human body, it clashed like a Furby head in a super model body. 

Why!

:yeahno: sigh.. 

About the brony furry thing, I think many were furries beforehand or discovered furry on the way of the 10 years the show's been developing and yeah now I have to also endure the "standing pony" or furry pony trend complete with sexualization.

(Need tree hugger icon) hhhh... But it's ok I guess... Is just my asexual agender self the one who can't make peace with it. I want new and coherent styles!

I mean I do like the big eye thing sometimes depending on how. Though ye generally for me the whole styles it does get all a bit cliche after a while. Like there are good and interesting artists. It sometimes makes me want to give up doin arts tbh though there are some furry artists who are like wow so much detail and craft. I also like those art doll things. But yeah I take my inspiration from as many sources as possible lol I like childrens story books and cartoons and generally anything like drawing from real life is also good but then simplifying it down

I never really liked the second life avatars nor imvu for that matter lol

Vr chat has more interesting furry avatars I have seen some quite cutsy stuff, as well as shibes and cool dragons. 

If anything Im more freaked about the toony eyes on fursuits haha 

I like eyes with a bit of shape though kinda like puppy eyes. Though I like cute anime eyes too. Or just human eyes on a dog or whatever hahahhhah x3 now that actually sounds like it could be freaky

6 minutes ago, flurry said:

I mean I do like the big eye thing sometimes depending on how. Though ye generally for me the whole styles it does get all a bit cliche after a while. Like there are good and interesting artists. It sometimes makes me want to give up doin arts tbh though there are some furry artists who are like wow so much detail and craft. I also like those art doll things. But yeah I take my inspiration from as many sources as possible lol I like childrens story books and cartoons and generally anything like drawing from real life is also good but then simplifying it down

I never really liked the second life avatars nor imvu for that matter lol

Vr chat has more interesting furry avatars I have seen some quite cutsy stuff, as well as shibes and cool dragons. 

If anything Im more freaked about the toony eyes on fursuits haha 

I like eyes with a bit of shape though kinda like puppy eyes. Though I like cute anime eyes too. Or just human eyes on a dog or whatever hahahhhah x3 now that actually sounds like it could be freaky

Yeah! There's so many things that can be done to change the art status quo but the funny thing is that ppl don't want to change the status quo. That's how I've been profiting from the furry art style for years now by just selling the exact same thing. It's always, dogs, cats, wolves, foxes, lions, dragons. Maybe even in that order. 

And I agree, fursuits are creepy. Mostly because again they look very similar to the artstyle itself and it reminds me of the general context for those specific design decisions.

There are good artists out there. Just don't do like me and fall into the artstyle trap, well with me it was in anime style when I was younger, the best you can do is find your own lines. It helps copying from various artists at first but with time you have to feel the shapes and try new things. 

30 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Yeah! There's so many things that can be done to change the art status quo but the funny thing is that ppl don't want to change the status quo. That's how I've been profiting from the furry art style for years now by just selling the exact same thing. It's always, dogs, cats, wolves, foxes, lions, dragons. Maybe even in that order. 

And I agree, fursuits are creepy. Mostly because again they look very similar to the artstyle itself and it reminds me of the general context for those specific design decisions.

There are good artists out there. Just don't do like me and fall into the artstyle trap, well with me it was in anime style when I was younger, the best you can do is find your own lines. It helps copying from various artists at first but with time you have to feel the shapes and try new things. 

Yeah a lot of it is a bit cut and paste, but then again it is kinda what a lot of ppl want. There are styles and trends that come in like certain trendy species, or things like certain cartoons that influence the fandom but yea otherwise I kinda seem to see the same things time after time after a while at least in the more mainstream parts. 

Art advice I heard is that is is good to find an art tribe with a similar style or philosophy. So it can help to have people around you to inspire and learn from but yeah, it is about cultivating your own thing.

I think you can make a lot money drawing or crafts on sites like etsy.

Drawing for fandoms especially obscure ones is a good way to get commisions I think haha.

Actually I heard the exact opposite (from someone not in the fandom or involved anyway). Oh the fursuits never seem to look like the characters on those badge thingys they wear lol. 

Mmm... I think I have an idea of what it is to be furry.

Is not just liking anthropomorphic characters, is engaging in the subculture. Like being a brony or being lgbt, just because you like mlp doesn't make you a brony and same just because you are non cis or non hetero doesn't make you lgbt, for that you have to embrace and subscribe to being involved with the group in general and their antics. Or get involved in their philosophy, way of thinking, the same mindset, etc.

So I guess in that sense I'm not a furry, I just like certain things about it but I'm not involved in their lifestyle, activities or in the majority of the things the furry community produces or even likes in general, even if I make drawings of myself as an anthropomorphic animal from time to time, it's for other reasons more related to introspection. 

Edited by Ittoni

14 hours ago, Splashee® said:

I have still not seen Zootopia, and I have Disney+ now. You know I am still not a Furry by that statement.

When I started watching Bronies React, I noticed that the host got less and less interested in ponies, and more and more into Zootopia. That was probably a sign of turning Furry? Talking about YouTuber ACRaceBest here.

Pretty much.

As for zootopia, have watched it a couple times on tv. They seem to love to show it on disney channel. What do I think about it? That shit is furry bait. In general, the whole thing goes for the generic barbie girl message; "you can be anything you wanna be" using a generic cop and rogue partners formula with an antidrug message. Literally, the whole thing is about a drug and has a rather obvious plot twist. I say you'd be better watching beastars instead xD

Is the movie good? Depends on tastes and what do you want to judge from it. It has a good animation and in general a good screenplay. The soundtrack is.... hrm, generic disney, I guess, with an awful shakira song for the "big guest artist" number. You could expect typical furry sense of humour (lots of species stereotyping), so don't expect much from their jokes.

So, I guess is a shallow movie with predictable plot, good animation and overly simplistic comedy. Nick has his charm, I must observe, but he's a stereotype played straight, so as for characters there's not much to find all that interesting.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not personally inclined towards furrydom, the whole anthro thing doesn't really do it for me.  That being said, I very much enjoy watching things like Disney's Robin Hood, Zootropolis and more recent offerings like Netflix's Beastars and BNA.  I enjoyed Beastars enough that I am currently working through the manga.

On the whole I view furries pretty much the same way as I view any other fandom.  It's perfectly fine as long as the people in question aren't being obnoxious about things, but it does have its fair share of loud, badly behaved and sometimes downright degenerate members, just like every other fandom that exists from Sonic to Marvel to MLP to sportsball fans.  As much as I love to see people being passionate about their hobbies and interests, just keep it in check and don't go shoving it down other people's throats if they have made it clear they're not interested.

• Brohoof 1

What do you call people who love drawing and seeing anthropomorphic animals off the web but doesn't engage with the actual fandom, never dresses in fur suits, never went to any conventions, never has a fur persona and etc? Because that's who I am, so I'm wondering if simply just liking anthro-art makes me a furry?

2 hours ago, Kamal900 said:

What do you call people who love drawing and seeing anthropomorphic animals off the web but doesn't engage with the actual fandom, never dresses in fur suits, never went to any conventions, never has a fur persona and etc? Because that's who I am, so I'm wondering if simply just liking anthro-art makes me a furry?

Well, what do you think?

Whether you're a furry or not is up to you, just being interested in the art and culture is fine. Even I don't really interact with the community these days.

2 hours ago, Kamal900 said:

Being a furry is something you can identify with yourself, you don't even need to interact with the overall furry community to even be a furry.  There's no membership requirements to being a furry.  If you want to be a furry, guess what?  You're a furry.  There's no life obligation to even have a fursona, a fursuit(because let's face it only a small amount of furries have a fursuit because those things ain't cheap), or anything of that sort.  If you say you're a furry who just appreciates the art, you're still a furry, no need to justify that with anything.

Edited by Thuja
misspell, sorry

I consider myself a furry.  Though my interest in it has kind of waned in the past year. 

Im straight and straight people can’t be furries so maybe that’s why. :P

Seriously though I’ll probably pick up interest again one day.  Losing and regaining interest in things happens to me all the time.   Except with MLP.  

5 hours ago, Thuja said:

Being a furry is something you can identify with yourself, you don't even need to interact with the overall furry community to even be a furry.  There's no membership requirements to being a furry.  If you want to be a furry, guess what?  You're a furry.  There's no life obligation to even have a fursona, a fursuit(because let's face it only a small amount of furries have a fursuit because those things ain't cheap), or anything of that sort.  If you say you're a furry who just appreciates the art, you're still a furry, no need to justify that with anything.

Agreed, though the reason why I..feel kinda embarrssed to say that I'm a furry is due to fear from backclash from other people in both real life and on the internet. In fact, even here there is some..well, disgusting about furrys here and so on as well, though I understand that the fandom isn't for everyone.

5 hours ago, Pastel Heart said:

Well, what do you think?

Whether you're a furry or not is up to you, just being interested in the art and culture is fine. Even I don't really interact with the community these days.

Well, I am a huge fan of furry art and fanfic, so..I guess I'm a furry, rofl.

• Brohoof 1

What is the one thing you should NEVER post or show to a Furry?

If I were to draw something that could be offensive to a Furry, what would that be? (I am trying to avoid conflicts in the future). Also please don't post any visual stuff that is NSFW. Censor your words as well

22 hours ago, Kamal900 said:

Agreed, though the reason why I..feel kinda embarrssed to say that I'm a furry is due to fear from backclash from other people in both real life and on the internet. In fact, even here there is some..well, disgusting about furrys here and so on as well, though I understand that the fandom isn't for everyone.

I won't lie, there's a lot of weird stuff in the furry community, so there IS a nugget of truth to at least some of those opinions but there's bound to be a lot of strange people in just about every fandom or community, bronies too.  You can't control how people will think of you, that's true but do you honestly want to live for the opinions of others?  Do you honestly want to let moments pass you by simply because you're scared of other people's opinions of you?  Just because you identify as a furry doesn't mean you need to constantly be like UWU or *puffs up and hisses* stuff, furries can be normal people, just like anyone else, sometimes furries can just be weird, people are people at the end of the day.  Just be respectful that other people may not approve or even understand what furry is, that's a them problem and shouldn't be something worth your time to stress over because people are people and we're never going to completely 100% understand each other and that's ok sometimes.

Edited by Thuja
just wanted to edit some of my post
  • Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Thuja said:

I won't lie, there's a lot of weird stuff in the furry community, so there IS a nugget of truth to at least some of those opinions but there's bound to be a lot of strange people in just about every fandom or community, bronies too.  You can't control how people will think of you, that's true but do you honestly want to live for the opinions of others?  Do you honestly want to let moments pass you by simply because you're scared of other people's opinions of you?  Just because you identify as a furry doesn't mean you need to constantly be like UWU or *puffs up and hisses* stuff, furries can be normal people, just like anyone else, sometimes furries can just be weird, people are people at the end of the day.  Just be respectful that other people may not approve or even understand what furry is, that's a them problem and shouldn't be something worth your time to stress over because people are people and we're never going to completely 100% understand each other and that's ok sometimes.

There's nothing wrong in being weird at all really, and honestly, I give two less shits on what others think of me and my personal interests and hobbies for as long as I don't hurt anyone or any living thing whatsoever. My fantasy is weird compared to most people around me, but you know what? For as long as it makes me happy then I don't care what others think of me. I wasn't born 29 years ago just to live up to other peoples standards at the cost of my own identity and things that makes me feel happy.

Edited by Kamal900

On 9/28/2020 at 3:49 AM, Splashee® said:

What is the one thing you should NEVER post or show to a Furry?

If I were to draw something that could be offensive to a Furry, what would that be? (I am trying to avoid conflicts in the future). Also please don't post any visual stuff that is NSFW. Censor your words as well

A brony? Idk haha

There are different little sub groups in the fandom who have very different ideas of how the fandom should be. Generally furries are a little more left leaning, and very supportive of lgbt. But not all. There is plenty of drama and infighting. 

There are a lot of furries that merge their ideology with their sort of furry identity. But then there are those who come to furry stuff to escape the politics and all. I'd like to say most furries take jokes easily but yeah it depends on the individual or community and some are sjws or some get upset easily. Some places it is just like a bunch of kids arguing and witch hunting and stuff. And I guess one thing that really does urk a lot of furries is.. pedos.. because yeah dodgy people around.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:15 AM, Kamal900 said:

fursuit(because let's face it only a small amount of furries have a fursuit because those things ain't cheap), or anything of that sort.

I feel like there is a lot of pressure from the fandom to have such suit and the suiting dominates the in person fandom way too much. Yes online it is okay but when u go to conventions or meets it is so so different. I guess you could compare it to people who dress up at comic cons except it is not that much as it feels more dedicated and lifestyly to me. I just wanna enjoy anthroanimal art and yet there is so much on suits. And there are cases of furries who didn't have suits getting a suit and saying bye bye to the friends who don't have a suit. Or literally use the suit just to brag all the time. I don't see anything wrong with one and in a way they interest me to the point id consider but sometimes it does get a bit too much in ur face and even cringy. 

Tho ye there are plenty of furries who arent into it either.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:15 AM, Kamal900 said:

Yeah it is understandable. Honestly I don't see the need to claim furry but yea. Ngl some furries r disgusting oof 

I think actually the hate has died down a little on furries since a lot of it was based on the "gayness" of the fandom.