How come alot of people think Big Mac is shy?

100 beasts kaidou

Overall I think, rather than shy, the best word to describe him is modest.

Yes I would say that is accurate, but it is possible to be both though I would agree that Big Mac more than anything else is modest which is a trait that does seem to run in the Apple Family.

• Brohoof 1

I don't necessarily think he's shy, but you have to admit he is quiet and introverted. He will hang out with other ponies (Such as in Hearts and Hooves Day) but I don't think he would go out of his way to start a conversation. I think he represents the strong, big brother type without needing to say much dialogue. To top it all off, he rarely leaves the farm so it's no wonder he's not great at social interaction laugh.png

i think that since big mac is not very talkative people (and ponies) assume he is shy this is not true in all cases especially untrue for me so everypony thought he was shy and just ran with it but there is a difference between shy and quiet

People probably think he's shy because he doesn't talk much, but I agree with the above posters who said he's more introverted and modest.  He only speaks when he needs to and keeps to himself most of the time.  There hasn't been too much interaction between Big Mac and characters outside his family shown, but based on hearts and hooves day, I'd say he isn't too shy.  If he were shy, after the potion wore off, he wouldn't have stuck around with Cheerilee during the last scene.  He seemed comfortable enough around her, where shy people/ ponies would have seemed more awkward.  

Again, like others have said, he's the strong silent type smile.png.

As others have said, Big Mac is an introvert  Introverts are not necessarily shy.

Big Mac has no problem speaking with others or being in public. We know that he isn't quiet because he's uneducated or stupid. Several times, he's demonstrated at least average intelligence. Perhaps he simply doesn't feel the need to talk unless he has to. When he was angry at the CMC in "Ponyville Confidential," he spoke as well as anypony. At that moment, he felt the need to call the CMC out. Other times, such as when he talked to Applejack in "Applebuck Season," he offered some thoughtful, logical advice to his sister. He was also working with the other earth ponies during Winter Wrap Up (it's even possible that he had a supervising role, since he took Caramel to Applejack after the former lost the grass seeds). Clearly, he can speak. He just chooses not to. To be fair, though, most of these instances were with ponies he was familiar with. Regardless, he hasn't given any indication of being shy. 

Besides, he could have more important things on his mind. Who knows what's really going behind that quiet exterior? 

big_mac__s_fancy_mathematics_by_samuelea

(edited)

I never thought of Big Mac being a shy pony at all until I saw this thread, so to me he isn't a shy pony, he's just simply a pony which doesn't talk much, that's all. :3

Edited by Azura

I seem to recall him being shy. There was that one episode where the 3 cutie mark crusaders were trying to pair him up with their teacher and well...need I say anymore?

I wouldn't think he's shy, just really quiet. Even around close ponies, all he says is "yup" and "nope."

I don't think he has any intention on talking to other ponies, and I think he'd be the strong silent type.

Err, well my friend the reason that people think that Big Macintosh is shy is because...spoiler alert: He is shy. This is stated in the series.

Heart's and Hooves Day is an odd case. I honestly saw his awkwardness towards Cheerilee as a typical response to such an awkward situation. I'd act a bit tongue-tied and weird too if my youngest sister and her friends decided to force me on a date with somepony I hardly know. Latter in the episode after the potion's effects are removed we see him and Cheerilee even pranking the CMC at the end. 

Big Mac is a stallion of few words and many actions. I don't see him as shy or uneducated, I see him as just very well reservered. 

(edited)

I don't think the show intended to imply that he was shy or anything.  He seems more like a reference to Big Dog from 2 Stupid Dogs.  He usually doesn't say much, but when he does say something other than his catch phrase, it's usually to give advice.

Edited by SBaby

Well he doesn´t talk much. And Apple Bloom herself said that he was shy in "Hearts and Hooves Day" But I don´t think he is too shy. He is just someone that gives short answers and doesn´t usually start a conversation 

I don't think Big Mac is shy. I just consider him as someone who only talks when spoken too. He doesn't go off the farm a lot so I am not surprised that he isn't very talkative.