Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sky Warden Draws Ponies

Sky Warden

(edited)

Heya there everypony. Recently I started trying my hooves at drawing. I'm terrible at using pencil, so I draw in digital now, with mouse. From now on I will post my arts here, so you can see my improvements, that is, if you're interested. :3

Well, here's my very first pony drawing, which is also my first digital drawing.

img-1532660-1-Nlyw1ng.png

Yeah I know. Horrible right? I made so many mistakes in that picture, but it has been criticized by some lovely artists. :3

Now, my second pony drawing. This is my first time drawing braids. I thought it was harder than the mane, but personally I enjoyed drawing the braid more. The mane is still nasty. Have a look:

img-1535723-2-tkQdgZa.png

See the improvement in my skill? Me neither.

post-10241-0-59968900-1355149338.jpg

My latest drawing (the third):

img-1619955-1-wip3_by_azureskywarden-d6b

Now by the permission of Lord Inglip, I will summon some ponies who stated that they wanted to see my next drawing when it's done:

post-10241-0-82040700-1354947732.jpg

@Groovyle. IRL friend comes first. Those weird circles you saw this afternoon turned out into this. ;3

And no, I have a life. It's just, when I start with something new, I do that new thing very ofter at the beginning. img-1535723-3-laugh.png

@Silverwisp the Bard. Here you go, sir. Your good eyes will be very helpful.

There you go everypony. Tell me your opinions. img-1535723-4-smile.png

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 9

MUCH better. Much better indeed. Sure, the mane isn't the winner of the best drawn pony award, but all in all, this is amazing work!

You, my friend, get a relevant entry because of your sheer class at drawing this!

http://woonastuck.tumblr.com/post/13381045842/you-equip-the-dapper-top-hat-gentleponys-fine

(yes, perfectly relevant :P)

Let me know about that next picture!

:D Enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

Hey Wardy.

So as you have summoned me I will give you what I think.

...what I think?

It's much better! Very good!

Eh, you know I'm not good at art, so *cough* that was just personal.

See the improvement in my skill? Me neither.

Your argument is invalid. I see your improvements. The most important part is, it's more proportional than your first one.

And now...

post-13083-0-54920800-1370361179.jpg

P.S. I guess you forgot the line on the ear again.

• Brohoof 1

You're getting better Sky :P The horn is off center, one eye is bigger than the other, there's no nostrils (although again, it still looks cool without them), and the legs farther away from us should be slightly shorter due to perspective, but it's still good. ^_^

MUCH better. Much better indeed. Sure, the mane isn't the winner of the best drawn pony award, but all in all, this is amazing work!

Thanks. The tail is killing me though. It was supposed to be two-coloured, but I couldn't do it right, so you can see the unorganized purple hair. :lol:

I will summon you when I finish the next picture. :)

Your argument is invalid. I see your improvements.

Smells-Like-Bullshit_o_99704.jpg

Kidding. Yeah, a little. I really enjoyed drawing the braid, and dat flank. X3

P.S. I guess you forgot the line on the ear again.

there's no nostrils (although again, it still looks cool without them)

post-10241-0-20176300-1357979320_thumb.jpg

The horn is off center,

I guess. I added that in the last minute. I was waiting for the upload to complete when I noticed that I haven't added the horn yet, so yeah, not in the right place. :P

one eye is bigger than the other,

post-10241-0-41293300-1360073893.jpg

That's the expression!

Well, yeah. It is. I thought it should be smaller is since the other is closer. XD

and the legs farther away from us should be slightly shorter due to perspective, but it's still good. happy.png

Oh, yes. I was kinda confused with the perspective indeed. The head is a little... there, but the body and legs seems like in the same angle. :P

I will try another pose though.

Thank you. :3

• Brohoof 2

That's really great: what are you using to draw them?

Improvement is massive, good shape, only two things flag up for me:

The tail colours, which you obviously noticed :)

The front legs stop a little too low down on the body, maybe extend them a little further up?

Thats really great though, I really like the mane!

I'm useless at drawing ponies: All mine start with a reference picture so I don't muck up proportions too badly :P

(edited)
That's really great: what are you using to draw them?

Inkscape. @Motion Spark said it's not good for drawing, but I really love using it. I tried another software to draw that mare and it was frustrating. I think it's like programming. Language doesn't matter. Choose whatever language and tool which the programmer is comfortably with. tongue.png

Thats really great though, I really like the mane!

I bet you mean the braid. The mane makes her look like a stallion. It's the braid which saves her, I think. XD

And yup, the tail is a disaster. I will practice to draw multi-coloured mane and tail later.

Front legs? Check. I will try to draw them higher next time. :3

I'm useless at drawing ponies: All mine start with a reference picture so I don't muck up proportions too badly tongue.png

I actually saw some MLP bases in DeviantArt while I was browsing mindlessly for Dashie pictures, and I found them really tempting, but yeah, I prefer to try to be original and only use them as examples. Thankfully everything I've drawn (just those two) is drawn by drawing lines mindlessly without cheating. laugh.png

Thank you for the input. biggrin.png

Edited by Sky Warden

Aha Inkscape, yeah I use ponyscape, which is a modified version of Inkscape. It's really powerful, once you get the hang of it you can pretty much do anything with it.

Usually I combine it with GIMP since that is easier to add special effects.

Waiting to see what you do next!

• Brohoof 1

@@Sky Warden, Inkscapre is not a good program because you need some "freestyle" when you draw ponies, Inkscape is for vectoring, aka, making your drawings look cute and polished, not for drawing from scratch. It sucks that you're using linux though, try using GIMP instead and sketch some ponies, you must sketch skeletons then flesh them out, that's the only way you would know if your anatomy is off or not.

There are artists that don't need to do this because they are THAT skilled, sadly, you're not, so it's better if you start with a suitable program for that. 

• Brohoof 2

, you must sketch skeletons then flesh them out, that's the only way you would know if your anatomy is off or not.

Well, I indeed to that. I draw circles here and there, the skeleton, then flesh them out.

I will try GIMP. Let's see if it will turn out good or not.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

@@Sky Warden

Dude, those are some freaking awesome first sketches! Some people (like myself) who have been drawing for a while up to now can't do as well as that! Keep it up! Maybe if you check me out later I might be able to give you a little tutorial on vectoring as well.

But it's like what Motion Spark said; Inkscape is more for vectoring, which is why I use it, since I mainly do vectors. It's still a good idea to have it for fixing up. For freehand, I use GIMP 2.8, because I was too lazy to get the newest version. XD

Edited by ~Chaotic Fireball~

Well you've definitely improved! 

Digital drawings for me are a nightmare, I MUCH prefer freehand pencil sketches to drawing digitally, so anyone who can vector or even draw something digitally gets a free awesome sticker in my book, well done. 

Proportions are slightly off, and you could use some work on the outline colours, but I can't really complain - or even comment. Have you seen my digital work? 

@@~Chaotic Fireball~, yes! YES! Please do! I can't draw manes and tails. I will love you! D':

@@Agent505, not yet, but your skecth (see your avatar) looks great. I'm still newbie, and my hand can't dance along with pencil pretty well. Being martial artist makes my fingers... what do you call it in English? XD

By the way, I'm still trying to draw. I'm just busy with other things. This one is kinda different though. I hope I can finish it soon. :)

• Brohoof 1

@@~Chaotic Fireball~, yes! YES! Please do! I can't draw manes and tails. I will love you! D':

@@Agent505, not yet, but your skecth (see your avatar) looks great. I'm still newbie, and my hand can't dance along with pencil pretty well. Being martial artist makes my fingers... what do you call it in English? XD

By the way, I'm still trying to draw. I'm just busy with other things. This one is kinda different though. I hope I can finish it soon. smile.png

Well thank you for the kind words! 

But I will say i've been drawing on and off for the better part of ... I think 2 years now? You'll pick it up eventually :) Just gotta keep practicing at the things you want to do - of course there's got to be some passion in there for it too, and if digital drawings are your thing then give it your all! 

I'll link you to this guy, who's done some decent basic work using only GIMP, with a mouse and keyboard. You don't need to use a trackpad if you can create things like that with a mouse - anything is possible with practice. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Busy busy days. I can hardly draw now. I have to code this and that. Well, there's a work in progress though. I guess I will just post it here so I can receive some feedbacks available. If there's any issue in anatomy or whatever, please let me know. :3

img-1588563-1-YiuVtbD.png

Guess whose OC will that be. laugh.png

P.S. The pose is completely original. XD

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Okay. I'm totally stuck here. This is what I can do so far. I seriously need help with the expression.

I think some of you can guess whose OC is this. It's Joan, @Silverwisp the Bard's OC (please don't kill me). He has drawn something for me, so I was thinking to draw his OC in return. Sorry if it's messed up. Still WIP after all.

img-1619955-1-wip3_by_azureskywarden-d6b

I know about the braid. I just wanted to try something different (and practice drawing mane). Finally a decent mane! XD

No details yet. The ears, and the nose. Will add later.

I never forget IRL friend, so let me summon @Groovyle. Now turn on your auto-load image setting and take a look at this, lad. I know that we're in an Internet connection crisis, but well, loading just one picture won't hurt. :3

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 2

I might consider letting you live, if it turns out well, otherwise its the doubleheaded spear for youimg-1622513-1-ph34r.png

Looks great so far, can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks... I suppose. :/

Well, the expression. I really need help on that. I was just drawing a random pose without deciding what expression I should use. :P

I will add the scars, the ear thingy, and other details later. I may shade it if I can.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, did you summon me?

post-13083-0-11215600-1372863951_thumb.jpg
I love this pic.

I'm not good at art, nor in appreciating it. But I've said that.
Can I have a personal opinion?

Don't you think that the neck's a little... big?
And the eyes. Don't you think the perspective of both eyes is reversed there?

Nice pose!
By expression, you mean the facial expression, right?

The expression should be like acting cool or something. You know, like in most stories (I've read), the character would have a cool/sad face with winds like that. Or the character is currently thinking. I've never seen one with a happy face on that pose. Maybe yours would be the first for me to see.

As a side note : I thought you used

tricks

to get free connection. And worry not, I have a big load of quota. I've always turned the images on the whole time biggrin.png

(edited)
Don't you think that the neck's a little... big?

Joan (the OC) is kinda muscular (Silverwisp once said), so I think I would make it like that. I don't know if it's too big or not, but I think it will be fine.

And the eyes. Don't you think the perspective of both eyes is reversed there?

What eyes? I haven't drawn the face yet.

I'm not sure about which facial expression to use. I was thinking to make a cool-sad face, but let's see what can I do.

About the 'trick', it died. Those security phonies are getting smarter day by day. Well, at least I know how to get a high-speed Internet access at school. I use it to download and play MMO on Steam these days. LOL!

I improved pretty fast, didn't I? :3

Edited by Sky Warden

Joan (the OC) is kinda muscular (Silverwisp once said), so I think I would make it like that. I don't know if it's too big or not, but I think it will be fine.

Nyaaah, sorry about that. Didn't know about the OC. sleep.png

Eyes?

Those two white circles. Are those (going to be the) eyes?

I improved pretty fast, didn't I? :3

So you finally realized that you've been improving all the time? ohmy.png

• Brohoof 1