MLP Card Game

Fluttashy

Prologue

The CCG interested me when it was announced, yet it was a surprising situation that threw me into the game.

On Sunday the 29th I was with my friends, one a fellow brony, walking around the local Target before our movie. Since I had yet to see the CCG cards in the wild, we went over to the card section to do the periodic look over. All the starter decks were sold out, yet hanging on the pegs were approximately 25 to 30 booster packs. We inspected them and read all the printed info. Seeing that Lyra was not only a friend card in this series, but a fun-to-hunt Ultra Rare, I became more excited about the game. My brony friend agreed to give it a shot and the employee stocking cards told me how there were numerous locals who are already playing the game at various "game clubs."

The next day I continued to mull the idea and decided the next time I hung out with my friends I would buy at least one booster pack and a deck if I could find it. Thursday turned out to be that next time. When I went back to Target however, all of the boosters were sold out! I was amazed.

This past weekend I went to another Target, this time finding only one booster under the rubble of fallen card packs. For intel I took it over to customer service, so that they could scan the barcode and see what Targets had them in stock. The system revealed all of the Targets in my county had sold all of their stock and awaited restocking.

With Hot Topic (my backup) not having them in store in my area yet, I bit the bullet and went to the local Walmart. Entering the barbarian horde that is my local Walmart paid off, as 9 remaining boosters hung on the many pegs like fleeces of gold. I bought all of them.

The 'Meat'

I have 10 boosters in my possession waiting to be opened, sitting next to the Pinkie-Shy Deck pack and DJ PON-3 sleeves I bought from Enterplay directly. I'm doing the 5 star treatment with these, getting a nice binder and such. I did a lot of research on card care and maintenance, so if you have any questions or want to discuss those things like me know. ;) More importantly, I learned how to play! Obviously I have not played a match with my unopened cards, yet once they are open I am ready to go.

Note

Ultra Rares (which of course we all strive to obtain) appear to be in roughly every 4th booster. The odds tend to be in your favor (haha Hunger Games) if you buy an expensive booster box, with the ratio being more constant. However since the "draw" is manipulated when customers buy random portions of a shipment at a store, the ratio can tilt in your favor (1 every 3rd pack or even 2nd!) or severely against it (1 every 5th or 6th pack). Ultra Rares at least in the store setting are going to be more like Wonka golden tickets (if you only buy one or two boosters at a time). If you buy numerous at a time, then the ratio seems to be more prevalent and stable.

Closing

I would love to find a Lyra and Octavia.

What cards are the objects of your desires?

Not sure if this is what you guys are talking about, but I was just in target and got two packs of MLP cards in a "Booster pack" format like MTG. I even got a Shiny Big Macintosh. XD It looks interesting, but I don't know anyone who would play and I still don't know how to play it personally. It was just something to pick up for a couple bucks and look into. I think I would rather throw my regular money at plushies and other merchandise like that unless I had someone to actually play this game with. Still, it's fun to collect!

Oh, and I would LOVE to get a Lyra and a Derpy for my friend. And either Nightmare Moon or Princess Luna. That'd be fantastic.

Edited by Midnight Glimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Another episode of my show, another interview with someone who had a hand in making the CCG! This time I got to speak with lead designer Darrell Hardy about how he helped put the game together as well as his newest project, Ghost Punchers. There are a few hints as to stuff you can expect from MLP CCG in future too - nothing major, but it's interesting stuff!

If you'd like to have a listen - http://littlemetaldog.com/2014/01/08/episode-73-more-space-more-ponies/

Cheers all!

Michael

• Brohoof 1

Went to Hot Topic today, and saw that they got a shipment of boosters and decks. What is interesting is that all the theme decks they were selling were in "reverse," in that Applejack was the facing card for the Orange and Purple deck and Rarity was the facing card of the Blue and White deck. Is this "variation" only sold at Hot Topic, or has anyone seen this elsewhere?

Edit:

Yes, these are in fact Hot Topic exclusives. Cool.

Edited by Party Cannon

Went to Hot Topic today, and saw that they got a shipment of boosters and decks. What is interesting is that all the theme decks they were selling were in "reverse," in that Applejack was the facing card for the Orange and Purple deck and Rarity was the facing card of the Blue and White deck. Is this "variation" only sold at Hot Topic, or has anyone seen this elsewhere?

Edit:

Yes, these are in fact Hot Topic exclusives. Cool.

A part of me wishes I had waited for those reverse decks because my mane is Rarity and my husband's mane is Applejack. I am thinking if getting another Rarity deck to get some more of rhose cards, but I am hoping that they just have the foils on eBay instead... that way we don't end up with tons of extra cards.

I accidentally bent one of my Videla Swoons and one of my Opalescences while shuffling my deck yesterday. Booooo! That would be a good reason to buy the deck because Videla is a fixed card only found in that Rarity deck and no one on eBay is selling it. I did buy more Opals though.

I got all my yellow cards in the mail yesterday. :) I am still waiting for a couple of white cards, and I also ordered a couple more white cards today.

• Brohoof 1

A part of me wishes I had waited for those reverse decks because my mane is Rarity and my husband's mane is Applejack. I am thinking if getting another Rarity deck to get some more of rhose cards, but I am hoping that they just have the foils on eBay instead... that way we don't end up with tons of extra cards.

I accidentally bent one of my Videla Swoons and one of my Opalescences while shuffling my deck yesterday. Booooo! That would be a good reason to buy the deck because Videla is a fixed card only found in that Rarity deck and no one on eBay is selling it. I did buy more Opals though.

I got all my yellow cards in the mail yesterday. :) I am still waiting for a couple of white cards, and I also ordered a couple more white cards today.

Sounds like you are stocking up! So do you prefer to just buy them outright as opposed to searching boosters?

You might as well get the new packs so there are no regrets. If extra cards are an issue you can probably either sell them or give them to a friend. Maybe you'll get them hooked, and maybe have a new person to play with you and your husband. ^_^ 

Still haven't opened anything yet, so I did not even know that if you bought a Dash or Twilight "facing" deck they were the only foils inside, as opposed to 2 foil manes per deck. Glad I waited to by the single deck packs because I like AJ more than Twi.

Just wondering what everyone here is playing? My main deck is a Rarity/Twilight deck. Maybe we can post our deck lists and see how we could all improve our decks? 

For anyone that also decides to do this, try and help some other people out before you post your stuff. If your new and don't know much then just post your list. Also, when you post your deck, you might want to talk about it a bit and mention what it's main goal/purpose is. If cost is also an issue than probably say that as well. Up to you guys. I'm a bit bored and thought this might be a good way to freshen up the thread a bit.

I guess I'll start. Here's my deck:

Name: Inspired to say 'no'

Goal/Purpose: To have as much inspired out on the field and plan the next couple of turns. It also tries to limit what my opponent can play/move. 

Budget: I don't really have one. I don't know a bunch of people that play this game so I'm hoping that I don't need a lot more. I've kinda already sunk in 2 boxes and the Rar/RD trail deck so money isn't the biggest issue.

I'll try and check back when I can and see if I can help anyone out. I don't know how many people here are wanting to play this competitively so this might end badly. 

Edited by aruigus808

Sounds like you are stocking up! So do you prefer to just buy them outright as opposed to searching boosters?

You might as well get the new packs so there are no regrets. If extra cards are an issue you can probably either sell them or give them to a friend. Maybe you'll get them hooked, and maybe have a new person to play with you and your husband. ^_^

Still haven't opened anything yet, so I did not even know that if you bought a Dash or Twilight "facing" deck they were the only foils inside, as opposed to 2 foil manes per deck. Glad I waited to by the single deck packs because I like AJ more than Twi.

I have tons of cards already, haha.

I started out buying the booster packs and got a bunch of them for Christmas. The problem with booster packs is that you do tend to get a lot of cards that you aren't looking for. It is good to get them at first when you start building but I feel that once there is an established deck then it is just better to buy the singles outright.

Because we got all 4 decks we have an extra deck that I put together - Twilight and Pinkie Pie. We will see if we can get my brother-in-law and his girlfriend into the game. He bought me the Twilight deck for Christmas because he knew that I wanted cards but I already had the Twilight deck and that was the only MLP CCG thing at Target. But he hasn't returned it yet to my knowledge and may just keep it and learn the rules.

His girlfriend's favorite is also Rarity so if she wanted to get into the game I could give her some of the cards.right depend on who she wants as her secondary though. Probably Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 1

@RockinRarity - you're not limited to 45 cards, remember. You can have as many as you like in a deck; my current RariDash deck is 51.

A good tip for those who play tcgs, is to play at the deck minimum, to maximize your chances of drawing your best cards...

• Brohoof 1

A good tip for those who play tcgs, is to play at the deck minimum, to maximize your chances of drawing your best cards...

Yup, I have decided to take my deck down to 45 cards but I will be getting a few more white cards for my deck. It is just good to know that I can have 50 cards in my deck and it would not be against the rules.

You just don't want to have 70 cards in your draw deck lol. That would be bad.

I bought some Vinyl Scratch card protectors off Amazon, and I also purchased some cards off ebay.

This game is awesome! I haven't even played one match yet, and I love it. I watched a few videos on how to play it, and it looks like a decent game.

Questions

How flat are your cards? If you place them face down on a table, are they perfectly flush, or is it like 90% flush? How about with sleeves?

I have been double sleeving my cards to keep them minty. They are quite flat, yet they do have a little bowing, with the four corners of the double sleeved card touching the table yet with a little airspace between said table and the center of the card. Is slight warping, bowing, or arching natural in cards?  

Edited by Party Cannon

Well I have Twi/Apple deck and Rarity/Dashie from the themes. But I have collected enough so far to swap out Apple to make a Twi/Fluttershy deck which I may do.

Rarity is what I want to play though and I just got a foil Spike (Huzzah!) but I have no idea what color combos are best. Twi/Flutter seem pretty good as does Rar/Dash.

What are the rest of you playing?

Questions

How flat are your cards? If you place them face down on a table, are they perfectly flush, or is it like 90% flush? How about with sleeves?

I have been double sleeving my cards to keep them minty. They are quite flat, yet they do have a little bowing, with the four corners of the double sleeved card touching the table yet with a little airspace between said table and the center of the card. Is slight warping, bowing, or arching natural in cards?  

I'd say most of my cards are pretty flat, but I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to that. The cards themselves feel and are pretty cheaply made though. I pulled an UR NMM and part of the text for the effect was gone. It wasn't anything serious but I can't really ever sell it if I wanted to.

Well I have Twi/Apple deck and Rarity/Dashie from the themes. But I have collected enough so far to swap out Apple to make a Twi/Fluttershy deck which I may do.

Rarity is what I want to play though and I just got a foil Spike (Huzzah!) but I have no idea what color combos are best. Twi/Flutter seem pretty good as does Rar/Dash.

I'm personally playing a Rar/Twi deck. I also have a Flutter/PP deck since the other deck makes me feel like a horrible person. 

• Brohoof 2

I am playing a Rarity/Fluttershy deck. I haven't heard of anyone else playing with one but so far I like it. I have played against my husband with it once so far. I still need to play with it a few more times before deciding if that is really going to be a good deck.

I am playing a Rarity/Fluttershy deck. I haven't heard of anyone else playing with one but so far I like it. I have played against my husband with it once so far. I still need to play with it a few more times before deciding if that is really going to be a good deck.

Sorry if you posted this already but do you have a deck list for your Rar/Flutter? Kinda interested in how it plays. 

I think a MLP card game would be kinda cool, it just depends on what it is about or how it works.  :huh:

Here's a video on how to play the game: HERE

And here's a Youtube search on people playing the game: HERE

I've only watched a bit of this video but it's probably a good video: HERE

Just be aware, this game is a bit confusing so people misplaying or forgetting the rules/card effects are probably pretty common. 

• Brohoof 1

Here's a video on how to play the game: HERE

And here's a Youtube search on people playing the game: HERE

I've only watched a bit of this video but it's probably a good video: HERE

Just be aware, this game is a bit confusing so people misplaying or forgetting the rules/card effects are probably pretty common. 

Okay thanks for helping me out there! 

Sorry if you posted this already but do you have a deck list for your Rar/Flutter? Kinda interested in how it plays.

I haven't gotten a chance to write it all out yet. At first I only had the cards that came in the started decks with the exception of some that came in the booster packs. When I was putting it together I realized that Fluttershy lacked some powerful cards so I got some rare cards off eBay, plus I got some rare Rarity cards off eBay as well to make my deck a little stronger. I haven't played it in its current form yet.

What I like about it so far is I use Rarity as my mane, so Inspired is powerful enough as it is. With the combination of Fluttershy and her critters, though, it seems pretty powerful if I can get the hang of it.

I think that right now, the hardest part of the game is remembering to read every single card that you play and remembering to take action on it. When you are first learning it is difficult to remember all that on top of the regular rules.

Well I bought the Twi/APple and Rar/Dash theme decks and I as building around both of those until I got enough Flutter cards and rares to make a Twi/FLutter deck. In the end I WANT a Rarity deck (fav pony and all) but no idea what synergizes with it well. Dashie still seems good especially since I picked up my foiil spike and that mofo is fire breathing. Also just got my uncommon Nest weaver Rarity, so I have a good friend stack going.

I do have so GOOD rare pinkies. Ice skating pinkie, responsibility pinkie, the big guns, and assault cake. So I could start a pinkie deck to compliment something...

But this is the one problem I have with hte game...and I LOVE the game...building new decks off of packs REALLY depends on which problems you get, those are what synergize your deck and what you build around, being able to tackle the problems with the characters colors that can beat that problem. So far the problem colors I have are

Yellow

yellow/purple

Orange/Orange purple

Orange/yello (only 1)

pink

WHite

White/blue

So I have no Pinki/rarity problems or flutter rarity which kinda stinks...oh well, half the fun is collecting.