26 users have voted

1. 1. Which kind of PC do you prefer?

• One monitor and tower
    • An All-in-one
    • Other
    • I prefer a MAC
    • Build a PC

(edited)

Hey everypony, I'm trying to purchase a PC so I can stop using this MAC. I am trying to get only a tower, in which is efficient for my PC games. But my mom wants an all-in-one computer for two reasons: to not use a tower which "takes up too much space" and because they are touch screen. 

My desk is 57 inches long and I don't see how a tower can take up so much space. My monitor is 19 inches in width. THERE'S ENOUGH ROOM! (Just need to move that mess on the other side of the desk)

Also, I only care for touchscreen by mobile phone.

So if you are in a situation like this, Would you get the all-in-one or a new tower for a PC? (unless you prefer a MAC).

Leave your opinion in your replies and vote.

*In case anyone asks what's wrong with my old tower, it's made in 1995.

*The monitor shouldn't be worried about.

Edited by Raiden_Opsaidoun
  • Brohoof 1

Tower, easily upgraded and generally cheaper for the specs than an all in one.

I keep my tower under my desk, would this not be an option for you to keep it out of sight?

• Brohoof 1

Tower, easily upgraded and generally cheaper for the specs than an all in one.

I keep my tower under my desk, would this not be an option for you to keep it out of sight?

There's a small wall underneath the desk in the middle that divides the bottom of the desk into two. Kinda acts like a third leg for the desk to support the middle. The space in there is 22 inches between the tower and that wall. My mom just wants enough room on the bottom and the top of the desk.

Tower.  Sounds like your mom is amazed by shiny things.

A tower is more powerful, runs faster, and lasts longer before slowing down.  Super easy to upgrade as well, and fix.

IN MY EXPERIENCE Pre-builts are already a bit slow, come with un-needed software, and really aren't that great for video games.
If it's the video games you need, you're gonna need something where you can upgrade the video card every year.

Tower because, it's a tower.

In all seriousness, I think they is great for gaming, design, and typing.

All in one PC's have TERRIBLE graphics power. (Intel Integrated, ugh)

All in one PC's are not worth it for the touch screen. You cannot upgrade anything except for the RAM. And when you get the computer, you will probably need to run a bunch of diagnostics because HP, Dell, and other companies like to install software that you will never ever need, ever. It WILL slow it down.

I would suggest building it from scratch.

Tower.

An all-in-one PC is incredibly inconvinient. If something happens, you won't be able to fix it yourself. You cannot upgrade parts (except for the RAM, as somepony else wrote) and it's really hard to work with those.

Touchscreens are not the most ideal thing, also. They are really innacurate. Go for the mouse (specially for those FPS').

And, finally... Almost any part on a tower is replacable. Not so much with All-In-One.

Seriously, f*ck all in one PCs.

• Brohoof 1

The only advantage desktops have over laptops right now is their upgradability and the ability to cool much more power-heavy components, and with the all in one you sacrifice that, which basically gives you the immobility of a desktop with the inupgradability and power lack of a laptop. No bueno.

I'd build a tower PC, easy to replace, easy to upgrade and whenever something's wrong you have a much better understanding what is wrong with the hardware or software. Plus you get the feeling of actually having achieved something, you won't be mad with its limits because you choose them yourself.

I've never used All-in-one PCs for the reason that the specs suck and most are incredibly pricey 'round these parts.

I wouldn't go for any pre-build PCs for the reasons that @Level3rd has already mentioned, although I would change the graphics card every 2 or even perhaps every 3 years, but this depends whether you like using a graphics card that's a bit older and slower when you you hit mid-2nd year of the graphics card as well as if you don't mind playing with high-medium graphics for a while. Though I guess now with all the technological advancements it depends how fast games will become more hardware extensive, if that were a lot I'd have to agree with upgrading your graphics card every year. 

• Brohoof 1

Tower, easily. But when you do get a tower, make sure it's the kind where you can get the parts in and out easily, including the motherboard, and where you can put the cords to their places easily. I'm saying this because I have exactly that kind of problem with my tower. It's too crowded for modern parts, especially for the graphics card.

I would highly recommend building your own tower, even if you don't know how to assemble it, then get someone to do it for you. The one I have now I built myself, picked out everything for it and saved a bit of money in doing so. Even if you don't try to be economical and go all out, you still get control over what goes into it, and then you don't have to deal with proprietary connections/parts and don't have to waste time removing all the junk that typically comes with a manufactured system. Before I bought what I have now, I used to have a Dell XPS 710. It was a fine system, but there were a number of propriety components that could only be bought from Dell, and of course they didn't even sell some of them anymore. How useless. 

As for all-in-ones, I wouldn't bother. Again the issue of not being able to upgrade components on it and them just generally not being the greatest performance-wise is why I stay away from them. Having a touch screen isn't that important IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an all in one. But I also only use mine fir things like Crunchyroll/anime, watching MLP, Manga Studio, and browsing the internet. Really it just depends on what you want to do on your computer. All in one computers can't really run games which is the down fall, but I didn't buy it to play games so yeah. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png