Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many Royal Guards and Wonderbolts are there?

Forlong

A thought that crossed my mind.  Since Shinning Armor is a Captain, that means that there must be a comany of Royal Gaurds, with 80-250 soldiers.  Let's see if we can get a better beed on how many there are.  A company is traditionally made up of three to six platoons (26-64 solders).  Canterlot diffinately has a large platoon stationed there, and there is probably a mid-sized platoon covering the rest of Equestria.  There are also two new platoons, one with Luna on the moon and another in the Crystal Empire.  These are most likely small platoons.  That adds up to roughly 165 Royal Guards.

As for the Wonderbolts, Spitfire is also a Captain.  However, in the air, a Captain is completely different than on the ground.  She is most likely a Flight Captain.  This would put her in charge of 20-100 Pegusi.  I'd estimate that there are 35 members.  Since the Flight doesn't have to preform matainance, it can be very small.

This makes Equestria's totally millitary strength 200 strong.  No wonder the Mane Six have to be called in to deal with problems, the military makes the Italians look compitent.

• 1 month later...

Well, I don't know.

The Wonderbolts are essentially the real life equivalent of "The Blue Angels" which are not military at all, they just perform shows.

and Royal guards,are just that. Guards, they'd be like government officials looking after the president.

Military wise, I don't see it. As far as I know Equestria doesn't have one. and Celestia said herself that The elements of Harmony are one of the major forces of defense in Equestria. Which is why the Mane 6 are called upon so much, because they are essentially the elements of Harmony.

Edited by Flutter Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think they have that many Royal Guards since, Celestia knows that the Elements of Harmony are the major defense against any known evil or any other villain to take over Equestria! Besides, the Royal Guards are mainly only in Canterlot.

As others said, the Royal Guard are supposed to be a bodyguard/ceremonial guard and not a standing army. For that matter Equastria, or at least Ponyville, doesn't even have a police force. The Wonderbolts are a paramilitary display team. I guess the Mane 6 are the army.

So 200-500 guards and 12-16 Wonderbolts.

I'd have to agree with you on the guards. 160-ish guards seems like a good amount, although myself I might have bumped it up to 200.
The Wonderbolts, however, don't seem to be military related. I think they are just a flight team, and nothing more. There is about 14 of them, though.

The Wonderbolts aren't really a military type thing, so Spitfire's rank of captain is more akin to being captain of a sports team.

I'd say what you said about the Royal Guards is about right, but I'm not sure if Luna's guards are part of the Royal Guard.

The Royal Guards protect the princess and nothing more. That's their job, hence being called guards. As for The Wonderbolts, they don't really count as military, but more along the line of entertainers because of the shows they perform.

Celestia knows that the Elements of Harmony are the major defense against any known evil or any other villain to take over Equestria!

What if an enemy comes along with an army of their own? It doesn't matter if they are the elements of harmony, six ponies aren't going to defeat an army. I imagine Celestia has her military scattered around Equestria, watching the borders for any threats. The main six are probably used just to eradicate the most powerful enemy (the leader) while Celestia's army disposes of the minions. That's how I see it anyways.

Edited by SmartyPants

Celestia's army disposes of the minions.

Yeahhh...........need I remind us of "A Canterlot Wedding" when the guards were getting their asses whupped by the Changelings? Yup, that's a real good royal defence force right there. :P  

But I see your point alright. The Royal Guards are there strictly to defend the princesses, not to perform military operations, apart from fighting off an enemy's minions while either the Mane 6 or Celestia deal with the boss (Cue Super Mario World boss fight theme!) As for the Wonderbolts, in terms of defensive ops, the most they could do is to probably keep an eye on any hostile situation, reporting back to either Celestia or the field commanders below. Its primarily up to the Mane 6 to take out the trash.

• Brohoof 1

The Royal Guards are really just for decorations I'd say. I mean they do occasionally come in handy for some things.

The Wonderbolts are really just decorations as well. Just to provide entertainment for the civilians. And if you wanna be strict about it I'd say they could be the Rescue Team since they did go after Rarity when she was falling after she lost her wings. I forget what episode that was... damn mind forgetting a lot of things too quickly >.< *facehoof*